[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The Knicks ability to find 2nd round gems
Author Thread
knickstorrents
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3050
Hong Kong
7/22/2019  10:58 AM
blkexec wrote:Whats interesting is Perry was rumored to trading the pick and selecting Culver from texas. Living in Texas, I watch him play and thought he has real potential, that wasn't clear in college. Then looking at a site that compared RJ to Culver, the data says Culver is projected to be a better NBA player.

I'm wondering since Perry is better at finding gems, trading 1st round picks for multiple lower picks might be better for us. The summer league highlighted lots of players in the teens and 20's of the draft, that was killing. Then you have undrafted players like Taco Falls....2nd round players like Bol Bol.

I think this is the general trend - to get more picks as opposed to trying to get a star with a single high draft pick (for everyone lebron james there's a deandre ayton and andrew bennet). The draft is so hard that I think you're better off with multiple picks and actually seeing if they pan out in real games. It's a much less risky and surefire approach.

RJ Barrett looks promising but I really don't like high usage players not named Lebron James. If you look at how the top teams win games, they have balance in usage across all their players. RJ's game is a high usage game and to me, that's a dead end if you want to win in the post-season. Hopefully he can work on his court vision and shooting.

Rose is not the answer.
AUTOADVERT
TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

7/23/2019  2:54 AM
knickstorrents wrote:
blkexec wrote:Whats interesting is Perry was rumored to trading the pick and selecting Culver from texas. Living in Texas, I watch him play and thought he has real potential, that wasn't clear in college. Then looking at a site that compared RJ to Culver, the data says Culver is projected to be a better NBA player.

I'm wondering since Perry is better at finding gems, trading 1st round picks for multiple lower picks might be better for us. The summer league highlighted lots of players in the teens and 20's of the draft, that was killing. Then you have undrafted players like Taco Falls....2nd round players like Bol Bol.

I think this is the general trend - to get more picks as opposed to trying to get a star with a single high draft pick (for everyone lebron james there's a deandre ayton and andrew bennet). The draft is so hard that I think you're better off with multiple picks and actually seeing if they pan out in real games. It's a much less risky and surefire approach.

RJ Barrett looks promising but I really don't like high usage players not named Lebron James. If you look at how the top teams win games, they have balance in usage across all their players. RJ's game is a high usage game and to me, that's a dead end if you want to win in the post-season. Hopefully he can work on his court vision and shooting.

Adding picks in terms of having more picks ON TOP OF your "natural pick" is a good thing. I.E. the Knicks keep their natural first round pick and acquire a few more in trade on top of that, that's a solid move

Adding picks by "Splitting Your Pick", what blkexec is talking about is basically resource management suicide. That means the Knicks doing something insane like trading the 3rd overall for a bunch of lower picks or future lower picks.

When people talk about 2nd rounders or late firsts who broke out, they don't mention the raw odds against you. To get a Draymond Green, how many 2nd rounders flamed out in total otherwise?

In the NBA, a single player can impact play after play after play. It's not like MLB where Mike Trout can only bat so many times a game. Prime Roger Clemens could only kill your team every fifth day. So you want to roll the dice on players with the highest possible rate of return for you given their draft slot. The farther down you go in the draft, the worse your odds are in terms of hitting on a pick and a useful player.

You are better off with more picks in addition to your natural pick, you are not better off trying to split the pick, which is why you rarely see that kind of trade in the NBA.

You can also only assimilate so many rookies on your roster in any given year.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/23/2019  7:59 AM
TripleThreat wrote:
knickstorrents wrote:

Adding picks in terms of having more picks ON TOP OF your "natural pick" is a good thing. I.E. the Knicks keep their natural first round pick and acquire a few more in trade on top of that, that's a solid move

Adding picks by "Splitting Your Pick", what blkexec is talking about is basically resource management suicide. That means the Knicks doing something insane like trading the 3rd overall for a bunch of lower picks or future lower picks.

When people talk about 2nd rounders or late firsts who broke out, they don't mention the raw odds against you. To get a Draymond Green, how many 2nd rounders flamed out in total otherwise?

In the NBA, a single player can impact play after play after play. It's not like MLB where Mike Trout can only bat so many times a game. Prime Roger Clemens could only kill your team every fifth day. So you want to roll the dice on players with the highest possible rate of return for you given their draft slot. The farther down you go in the draft, the worse your odds are in terms of hitting on a pick and a useful player.

You are better off with more picks in addition to your natural pick, you are not better off trying to split the pick, which is why you rarely see that kind of trade in the NBA.

You can also only assimilate so many rookies on your roster in any given year.

Well said. Doing well in lower picks is a plus. Very little difference in a late 2nd round and a undrafted player. Getting the right undrafted guy and an opportunity can be excellent. We forget that a team might bring in a few guys for that spot vs. one guy with one pick. So the odds increase.
Look at all the guys on SL in years past that never stuck. Remember Maurice N’dour?

Kawhi at 15, Giannis at 13......we remember them, not that picks that did not pan out. More of those. Natural picks are important because if you suck, you get a big opportunity. Not a guarantee, but an opportunity. Finish on the bottom 10 of the league team might still move up and get a generational player like the Pels did. Lakers used theirs for trade fodder to get ad.

Sometimes its Jabari Parker or Beas sometimes Its Oladipo/D’angelo and you have to be patienT. Knick fans are told by media it’s about “Stars” but little education on the proper way to get one. We have leaned FA can change quickly. trading for a star is expensive. AD and Paul George was expensive but when you sign Lebron or Kawhi its part of the deal. We did that but it was Amare we had pair with Melo. When you have excess talent, like all star Walt Bellamy and solid Howard Komives you can get Dave Debusschre and not miss a beat. Cassie Russell for Jerry Lucas.
Lesson there was keep drafting and develop. We had Bradley to take Cazzies spot and he was a better fit. Willis moved from PF to center.
Seems we are covering many bases here. We are not close to make a deal to bring in AD or George. we’d wipe out the cupboard and not have talent base to complete a balanced team.

Ira
Member: #91
7/23/2019  8:27 AM
There are a lot of things to like about Mitch. One is that he's shown the ability to improve his game as he gets coaching and experience. An example of that is his improvement in foul shooting during last season. Another example is that he's learned to set picks - and set pretty good ones. He's going to be a very good starting center and I have to give Perry the credit.
OldFan
Member: #446
7/23/2019  9:00 AM
knickstorrents wrote:

I agree high usage players are not ideal. If you are going to be taking a lot of shots in todays games you better be hitting a lot of threes and getting to the line. Even then it's tough, Harden does both really well and so far it hasn't worked in the playoffs.

RJ does have some skills that would allow him to contribute without being a volume scorer. He seems to see the floor well and he's a good rebounder. If he can adapt his game to be less ball dominant and improve his shooting I have hope.

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

7/23/2019  9:43 AM
knickstorrents wrote:

you are correct. the NE Patriots do this every draft. They trade back into future drafts if it gets them more pick. Mike Lombardi laid out the Pats' strategy, then other articles kinda expanded on it. I want the Knicks to rip this off:

1. "He's always about building a team. He's not trying to collect talent."
2. "Bill is all about not falling in love with a player. Bill is looking at value."
3. "The draft room will be very small."
4. Belichick only wants to coach players he likes.

NBA is a little different, you need star power. But when you can't get a star you should be trying to collect picks. Get deeper. Have talent on cheap contracts. This will make it easier to sign or trade for a star. And when you trade for one its not such a big deal because you have more picks coming up

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
Nalod
USA
7/23/2019  2:45 PM
Tell you what, lets get to a conf. final or two before we start whining about how our high volume players can't win chips.
Nalod
USA
7/23/2019  2:47 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:
knickstorrents wrote:

you are correct. the NE Patriots do this every draft. They trade back into future drafts if it gets them more pick. Mike Lombardi laid out the Pats' strategy, then other articles kinda expanded on it. I want the Knicks to rip this off:

2. "Bill is all about not falling in love with a player. Bill is looking at value."

NBA is a little different, you need star power. But when you can't get a star you should be trying to collect picks. Get deeper. Have talent on cheap contracts. This will make it easier to sign or trade for a star. And when you trade for one its not such a big deal because you have more picks coming up

Can this equate to the NBA?

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/24/2019  1:28 AM
Nalod wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
knickstorrents wrote:

Can this equate to the NBA?

It can't. The nba draft is two rounds the nfl draft is 7. An nfl team has 53 players and up to ten practice squad players. An nba team has 15 players and two 2 way players. 224 players are drafted in the nfl draft, 60 players are drafted in the nba draft. Belichek's strategy doesn't transfer to the nba draft. Ten pennies don't equal a dime in the nba.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Chandler
Member: #6197

7/24/2019  8:27 AM
Regarding the Pats, I tend to strongly agree that NFL and NBA are different beasts for the reason Crush states, also considering things like the need for depth, situational football, average career length, ability to scheme to shut down a dominant player etc.

One thing that does translate is the notion of value, and having some sense that what your "system" is buying is currently cheap on the market. Bill Belicheck is a bit of a contrarian (not a follower). When the rest of the league was investing big money and "star" DE or "star" Left tackles to stop the star DEs, he decided to build an offense relying on depth and quick releases (having Tom helps with that). As a result he saved tons of money that he could deploy on quality elsewhere. Similarly, since he didn't need to invest tons of money on pass protection, he could focus on building lines with better run blocking (which was relatively cheap compared to the star pass protection guys).

In the NBA we see many good teams follow a similar approach. Toronto has been and continues to invest in defense. They see a better return on their dollar, a better ability to draft in their slots etc. Houston in recent years seems crazy at first glance, but the Westbrook move might be genius -- allowing them to play their style of ball a full 48minutes (as good as Harden is he can't do what he does at a top level for 48, but he and Russell can switch roles when needed and when they're both on the floor it could be trouble). (I would agree Russell wasn't a classic "value" pick but it was very much contrarian) Houston also tried to surround Harden with defense-first guys, again something they saw value in (they didn't need to break the bank for those role guys)

(5)(5)
The Knicks ability to find 2nd round gems

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy