misterearl
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #799
USA
7/13/2019  10:21 PM
The Haters Have Arrived

Jmpasq wrote:
misterearl wrote:
Portis is a horrendus defensive player. What every he brings on the offensive end goes right back out on defense and some.

Horrendous you say? Based on what exactly?

Maybe the games should be played first

What standard do you want to use? Rim protection? He brings none. Pick and roll defense? Terrible. Perimeter defense? Nope he sux at that too.

“Bobby brings a toughness and competitive spirit. He’s a big team guy,” coach Jim Boylen said. “He loves to practice and to play. Any assignment you give him, he’ll take and try to do it to the best of his ability. I’m thankful he’s on his way back.”

“We missed that competitive edge and a guy who is engaged on every possession,” Boylen said. “In-game failure bothers him. He doesn’t pout about it. He reacts to it and tries to win the next possession, which is something we’ve talked about

“You would hope it’s contagious. I know guys like playing with Bobby. He’s a guy you like winning with and fighting with and competing with. It’s a great attribute he has and a big part of his value.”

Sounds like a Knick to me.

once a knick always a knick
AUTOADVERT
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

7/13/2019  11:52 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/13/2019  11:58 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Most of these additions are role players. With the exception of Randle, want to see the rest on the bench. Otherwise this is the Knicks circa 2002. Might as well bring back Eisley and Anderson. Start the young guys.

Yeah...but at least with have young guys now. It was painful watching us roll out a squad of mediocreundersized PFs every night.

Not complaining about the roster. Glad Perry/Mills saw the FA market for what it was, not for what they wanted it to be. Just saying that Mitch, Knox, Smith jr, have played most of their brief careers against starters. Not trying to disrespect the new signees, what Im saying is that said players shouldn't be taking a bench role to players who wont lead us to contention.

If Barrett shows he can handle starting in preseason, would like him to start the regular season. If Payton outplays Smith jr, then he should start.

If we were talking about those big targets in free agency (healthy ones) I would get these younger players coming back as bench players. Otherwise I see it as a step back in their development. The FAs signed know they are there in part to help the younger players. Would like to see the younger players start and finish. Have the vets try to keep the Knicks from having a traditional Knicks third quarter of death, so the young guys have a chance to close the deal.

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

7/14/2019  6:23 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/14/2019  6:23 AM
misterearl wrote:The Haters Have Arrived

Jmpasq wrote:
misterearl wrote:
Portis is a horrendus defensive player. What every he brings on the offensive end goes right back out on defense and some.

What standard do you want to use? Rim protection? He brings none. Pick and roll defense? Terrible. Perimeter defense? Nope he sux at that too.

“Bobby brings a toughness and competitive spirit. He’s a big team guy,” coach Jim Boylen said. “He loves to practice and to play. Any assignment you give him, he’ll take and try to do it to the best of his ability. I’m thankful he’s on his way back.”

“We missed that competitive edge and a guy who is engaged on every possession,” Boylen said. “In-game failure bothers him. He doesn’t pout about it. He reacts to it and tries to win the next possession, which is something we’ve talked about

“You would hope it’s contagious. I know guys like playing with Bobby. He’s a guy you like winning with and fighting with and competing with. It’s a great attribute he has and a big part of his value.”

Based on what? HAHAHA, based on what makes Portis a good defensive presence? Quotes about.. what? What are you talking about? Competitive edge? How about Portis had 0.7 DWS last year. By comparison, Enes Kanter had 0.6. misterearl, the one trick hyperbole pony

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/14/2019  8:58 AM
This team is wide open. Need a shooting 2 guard? Ellington. Need a penetrator? Trier or Smith. Need tough? Morris, portis and Randle have beef. Need a rim protector? Mitch? Need a cigarette? Frank, need sniper? Knox.
Need an allstar? Not yet.

Wide open. Hard to predict what will be. This team could win 41 game, or 20.

Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
7/14/2019  9:47 AM
misterearl wrote:The Haters Have Arrived

Jmpasq wrote:
misterearl wrote:

";Bobby brings a toughness and competitive spirit. Hes a big team guy"; coach Jim Boylen said. "He loves to practice and to play. Any assignment you give him, he'll take and try to do it to the best of his ability. Im thankful hes on his way back.";

"We missed that competitive edge and a guy who is engaged on every possession," Boylen said. "In-game failure bothers him. He doesn;t pout about it. He reacts to it and tries to win the next possession, which is something we;ve talked about

"You would hope it;s contagious. I know guys like playing with Bobby. Hes a guy you like winning with and fighting with and competing with. Its a great attribute he has and a big part of his value."

Sounds like Earl is trying to get you to date the fat/ugly chick. "Bobby has a GREAT personality! And he really tries hard, too!"

misterearl
USA
7/14/2019  9:55 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/14/2019  9:56 AM
Correction

SupremeCommander: “Based on what? HAHAHA, based on what makes Portis a good defensive presence? Quotes about.. what? What are you talking about? Competitive edge? How about Portis had 0.7 DWS last year. By comparison, Enes Kanter had 0.6. misterearl, the one trick hyperbole pony.”

I prefer:

MisterEarl: one-trick Knicks fan since the afternoon his Dad took him to the Old Garden to see the San Francisco Warriors featuring Wilt Chamberlain and Guy Rodgers.

The roar from the upper deck, during a brief Knicks run led by Ritchie Guerin, was good enough to get me hooked for life. It was 1963.

misterearl
USA
7/14/2019  9:58 AM
Wide Open and Deep

Nalod wrote:This team is wide open. Need a shooting 2 guard? Ellington. Need a penetrator? Trier or Smith. Need tough? Morris, portis and Randle have beef. Need a rim protector? Mitch? Need a cigarette? Frank, need sniper? Knox.

“I love it when a plan comes together”
-Hannibal, The A Team

TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

7/14/2019  5:56 PM
Nalod wrote:This team is wide open. Need a shooting 2 guard? Ellington. Need a penetrator? Trier or Smith. Need tough? Morris, portis and Randle have beef. Need a rim protector? Mitch? Need a cigarette? Frank, need sniper? Knox.

Very unlikely this team wins 41 games ( though as fans, we can hope right?)

Floor spacing is going to be a real problem this year.

With Morris on the roster , Refs are going to **** all over this team whenever possible. They hate Morris that much.

Randle is going to see a ton of double teams. Hard to say how he adapts becoming the true No1 option on offense.

Taj Gibson was brought in to basically coach the team from the locker room. Interesting to see how that plays out.

Reality check here. Knicks likely did the best they could, but if the goal is the playoffs, then they weren't in a position to do much more than this.

You eliminate the guys you really want in FA but don't want you.
Then you eliminate the guys with terms you don't want ( guys who want too much AAV or years relative to their worth to you)
Then what you have is what you tend to sign.

It's not THE IDEAL FA CLASS

However it is probably the best the team could do given the circumstances.

But it's not likely going to be enough.

Both sides are right and wrong here. The incoming FA class isn't that bad ( relative to the worst possible potential signings) and the incoming FA class really isn't that good either ( they were available for a reason)

"Sounds like Earl is trying to get you to date the fat/ugly chick. "Bobby has a GREAT personality! And he really tries hard, too!"

Warms my heart to know that after I die, which is probably going to be soon given my health, my legacy in some fashion will carry on here.

Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
7/14/2019  6:25 PM
TripleThreat wrote:

With Morris on the roster , Refs are going to **** all over this team whenever possible. They hate Morris that much.

Randle is going to see a ton of double teams. Hard to say how he adapts becoming the true No1 option on offense.

Taj Gibson was brought in to basically coach the team from the locker room. Interesting to see how that plays out.

Reality check here. Knicks likely did the best they could, but if the goal is the playoffs, then they weren't in a position to do much more than this.

Then you eliminate the guys with terms you don't want ( guys who want too much AAV or years relative to their worth to you)

Both sides are right and wrong here. The incoming FA class isn't that bad ( relative to the worst possible potential signings) and the incoming FA class really isn't that good either ( they were available for a reason)

"Sounds like Earl is trying to get you to date the fat/ugly chick. "Bobby has a GREAT personality! And he really tries hard, too!"

Warms my heart to know that after I die, which is probably going to be soon given my health, my legacy in some fashion will carry on here.

this for real bro???

smackeddog
Member: #883
7/15/2019  4:29 AM
TripleThreat wrote:

Sad to hear, man- I know we've had our disagreements, but I always hope fellow Knick fans are immortal, so we can keep beefing and following this team til it wins. You take care

dacash
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1179

7/15/2019  8:47 AM
smackeddog wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:

Sad to hear, man- I know we've had our disagreements, but I always hope fellow Knick fans are immortal, so we can keep beefing and following this team til it wins. You take care

I hope it's not real , i wish u luck n dealing with what u dealing with
Ira
Member: #91
7/15/2019  9:26 PM
Gibson will play pretty good d. That's about it on the defensive side from our 'haul'.
misterearl
USA
7/16/2019  8:28 AM
Practice

Ira wrote:Gibson will play pretty good d. That's about it on the defensive side from our 'haul'.

The best show in October will be Marcus Morris v Kevin Knox in five on five.

Defense is a team thing.

Upon Further Review, The Knicks Free Agent Haul Doesn’t Suck That Bad

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy