[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Your starting 5 next year!!!update
Author Thread
technomaster
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #426
USA
7/12/2019  2:45 PM
The Knicks can go a lot of different directions. From my perspective, I think the only lock for starter is Randle, with the next best bet being Mitchell Robinson, followed by Barrett.

PG: DSJ has the physical tools to be a superstar, but his game is not all there. He's shown a lot of flash, particularly when his shot is going in. I've loved Payton and think he has a more mature game as a floor general - and the guy can do it all on the floor - except really stroke it from 3. His game isn't predicated on scoring a lot, so depending on the mix of scorers in the starting lineup, he might be a better fit. If either of these PGs can get to ~35% from 3pt range, we'll have a pretty good team. The player that shoots better during camp/pre-season likely gets the starting spot.

SG: I think Barrett probably should start from day 1. He surprisingly struggled a little in the summer league, but he seemed to make adjustments and find ways to be productive despite shooting woes. The Knicks will want to surround him with at least 2 shooters until he gains his footing. Dotson had shoulder surgery and I don't have high confidence in him having his shot ready in time for the regular season. He had a nice stretch averaging around 20ppg as a starter during the tail end of the year with good shooting %s, but unfortunately I don't think he'll be healthy enough to defend his role. I don't think Ellington was brought here to be a starter (though didn't he start for the banged up Pistons?)

SF: Marcus Morris is a better player than Knox now and I think is a starting caliber 3rd or 4th option on a playoff team. If the Knicks are to succeed, Knox really need to show some development. (looking for tidy Jaylen Brown-type stats from Knox - 12+ppg/45%+fg/36%+3pt/4-5rpg in 25mpg) My dark horse is Iggy Braz - I don't really him starting over Morris AND Knox, but the possibility is there - esp if he proves he's a lights out shooter with NBA 3pt range. He might be the best catch and shoot player on the team - and that fits in with any lineup, particularly with our non-pure shooting backcourt.

PF: Randle is the best/most accomplished player on the team now. This might be the only position where there is no question about who starts.

C: Robinson excelled as a starter toward the tail end of the season, at least statistically. His speed and the threat of his alley-oop/finishing spaces the floor a bit. He's a good bet for opening tips. But Portis is sneaky good and well rounded... he can shoot the rock from the perimeter and plays a generally clean game. He's sort of like Vonleh, but seemingly better in every way. If the Knicks want an extra shooter with the starting lineup, he's your guy.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
AUTOADVERT
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

7/12/2019  3:00 PM
dwiley20 wrote:Mitchell
Randle
Knox
Barrett
Dennis Smith Jr

We are a deep team

So shall it be written, so shall it be done..

Thats my lineup as well. Great that we might have a "PG controversy", so to speak, with DSJ and Payton. Normally I dont like to see rookies starting, at least the ones the Knicks have drafted, mainly because of conditioning. Believe Barrett can handle starting. Believe DSJr is going to be setting Knox up for a lot of 3s. If Barrett can hit his 3s with any kind of consistency, we will be in good shape.

jazz74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #371
7/12/2019  3:28 PM
pg- dsj: hard to envision anyone else especially right now we gave up kp for him and he is working on his game. talent wise, he is better than payton even though payton is a better playmaker.

sg- barrett: unless his training camp is awful, he should start and probably be the second scoring option early in the year.

sf- morris: a LOT of money is going his way for him to be a starter. he is a good defender who can shoot threes and provide toughness which was lacking for YEARS! no one is flipping bottles on his watch. I HOPE this changes after all star break and knox play is good enough to be in the starting lineup.

pf- randle: least surprising since he is probably the most talented player we have. he will probably avg a double double and the only knick with a point avg in the 20s.

c- robinson: I think another sure thing in the starting lineup. he is a defensive anchor and he can lead the league in bpg.

6th man- trier: I think iso zo will beat out portis for the first off the bench.

HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

7/12/2019  4:24 PM
jazz74 wrote:pg- dsj: hard to envision anyone else especially right now we gave up kp for him and he is working on his game. talent wise, he is better than payton even though payton is a better playmaker.

sg- barrett: unless his training camp is awful, he should start and probably be the second scoring option early in the year.

sf- morris: a LOT of money is going his way for him to be a starter. he is a good defender who can shoot threes and provide toughness which was lacking for YEARS! no one is flipping bottles on his watch. I HOPE this changes after all star break and knox play is good enough to be in the starting lineup.

pf- randle: least surprising since he is probably the most talented player we have. he will probably avg a double double and the only knick with a point avg in the 20s.

c- robinson: I think another sure thing in the starting lineup. he is a defensive anchor and he can lead the league in bpg.

6th man- trier: I think iso zo will beat out portis for the first off the bench.

PG- Smith and Payton at 50-50 for starting PG. Will pick Smith but depends on Pre season and camp.
SG- Bullock, if signed. If they feel Barrett is not ready (possibility) and the line up needs a pro shooter.
SF- Morris. Knox can learn by coming off the bench.
PF- Portis $15M starts
C- Randle

Back up
PG- Payton
SG- Barrett
SF- Knox
PF- Gibson
C- Robinson

Small lineup will have Trier in and Gibson out. Will be interesting to see how Fiz uses Frank, Dot, Iggy and Ellington.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
Sangfroid
Member: #2784

7/13/2019  1:12 AM
smackeddog wrote:I like how everyones acting like Frank no longer exists

Somebody's puttin' in work! Let the games begin!

"We are playing a game. We are playing at not playing a game..."
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

7/13/2019  3:06 AM
Sangfroid wrote:

Like how Frank is practicing shooting off the dribble. Frank often looked like he was overthinking the release on his shot. Getting to a spot fast and shooting, brings muscle memory more into play IMO. Less time calculating. Help build confidence for catch and shoot situations.

One thing I noticed in those clips was not a lot of burst laterally. Maybe different drills would give us a better idea. Saw a lot of north/south with Frank's dribble, Having good lateral speed helps with crossing a defender over.

Frank does look taller and faster. Going to likely come down to wether or not Frank takes advantage of the new tools in his toolbox.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
7/13/2019  4:12 AM
jazz74 wrote:pg- dsj: hard to envision anyone else especially right now we gave up kp for him and he is working on his game. talent wise, he is better than payton even though payton is a better playmaker.

This seems like the consensus. I personally think Barrett, Morris, Randle , and Mitch are almost locks to start. The only real battle will be at PG between DSJ and Payton.

TPercy
Member: #5748

7/13/2019  6:00 AM
Payton
Barrett
Morris
Gibson
Randle

DSJ
Trier/Ellington
Knox
Portis
Robinson

Starters are okay but this is the best depth we’ve had in awhile

The Future is Bright!
TPercy
Member: #5748

7/13/2019  6:05 AM
Also Portis can’t start at the 5. I watched him with Wizards and most people will tell you this guy is clueless on D.
The Future is Bright!
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
7/13/2019  7:41 AM
Sangfroid wrote:

Seems like he has improved his handle, which is nice to see. But is it me, or does he seem to shoot in slow motion?

Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
7/13/2019  7:43 AM
TPercy wrote:Payton
Barrett
Morris
Gibson
Randle

DSJ
Trier/Ellington
Knox
Portis
Robinson

Starters are okay but this is the best depth we;ve had in awhile

I always think starting a rookie day one is a mistake. Let RJ earn it. He's not entitled.
As for Gibson, i see him as a 10th man at this point

dwiley20
Member: #5755

7/13/2019  9:34 AM
Sangfroid wrote:

he cant create his own sot that's the problem

Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
7/14/2019  10:16 AM
If Frankie can begin living up to his potential, we flat out won’t need Dennis or Elfird on this team as starters. The problem is that we have no clue if he will come close to that.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
7/14/2019  10:48 AM
Allanfan20 wrote:If Frankie can begin living up to his potential, we flat out won’t need Dennis or Elfird on this team as starters. The problem is that we have no clue if he will come close to that.

yeah that’s why i’m glad as hell we’re hanging on to him to find out. relatively cheap investment for potentially big payoff.

Jmpasq
Member: #4182

7/14/2019  11:37 AM
Panos wrote:
Sangfroid wrote:

Seems like he has improved his handle, which is nice to see. But is it me, or does he seem to shoot in slow motion?

I said his shot release was slow when we drafted him and everyone here told me I was wrong

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
jazz74
Member: #371
7/14/2019  2:12 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:

PG- Smith and Payton at 50-50 for starting PG. Will pick Smith but depends on Pre season and camp.
SG- Bullock, if signed. If they feel Barrett is not ready (possibility) and the line up needs a pro shooter.
SF- Morris. Knox can learn by coming off the bench.
PF- Portis $15M starts
C- Randle

Back up
PG- Payton
SG- Barrett
SF- Knox
PF- Gibson
C- Robinson

Small lineup will have Trier in and Gibson out. Will be interesting to see how Fiz uses Frank, Dot, Iggy and Ellington.

the problem is that defense will be atrocious. robinson is a true anchor and needs to start.

MooK
Member: #3320

7/14/2019  3:29 PM
I'd like to see;

DSJ
Frank
Morris
Randle
Mitch

If this is our lineup that would mean Frank has earned it. His defense would be a nice boost to start games and I think playing with two aggressors like Randle and Morris might push him to play with more intensity. He just gotta knock those jumpers down consistently. I'm pulling for him. I like RJ as the sixth man to begin his career a la James Harden.

Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
7/14/2019  7:14 PM
MooK wrote:I'd like to see;

DSJ
Frank
Morris
Randle
Mitch

If this is our lineup that would mean Frank has earned it. His defense would be a nice boost to start games and I think playing with two aggressors like Randle and Morris might push him to play with more intensity. He just gotta knock those jumpers down consistently. I'm pulling for him. I like RJ as the sixth man to begin his career a la James Harden.

Summer League is just that. BUT the way Barrett improved during the last few games there makes me think twice about betting against him earning the starting nod.

Right now both DSJ and Frank promise to be improved. We have to wait and see but I think we could see any combination between DSJ, Barrett and Frank if they all bring it to the team.

I do think that if they all come improved the way we hope, DSJ and Barrett would win, with Frank becoming the super backup capable of playing three positions.

Knicks_Fan
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
7/15/2019  11:03 AM
Jmpasq wrote:
Panos wrote:
Sangfroid wrote:

I said his shot release was slow when we drafted him and everyone here told me I was wrong

I can look at the forum, see your name and know something crappy about the Knicks has been posted. KP was traded for picks. Can you go away and be happy now that your greatest hope has come true? Maybe come back with a better attitude? Get some sun? Take a walk? Pet a puppy?
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
7/15/2019  11:50 AM
Panos wrote:
Sangfroid wrote:

He looks like a different guy from only a few months ago - looks like he's really improved his fitness level. Looks more shredded (more like RJ Barrett) now. Shot release looks a little show and deliberate (still) but when you're more like 6'7-8" (than 6'5") you don't need to be as quick.

Andre Iguodala comparison? Maybe the Warriors version from the past 3 years. The version of Iguodala I remember is the borderline all-star capable of 18ppg/6/6 from years 3-8 of his career.

But hey, if Ntilikina turned into rookie or sophomore Iguolala, that'd be simply amazing.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
Your starting 5 next year!!!update

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy