Marcus Morris, anyone?
Author Thread
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
7/17/2019  9:48 PM
Welpee wrote:
toodarkmark wrote:Great. A selfish hated player who turned down a verbal commitment for a team that suddenly had more money to offer. That's the kind of players that the Knicks fan deserves.

Oh right, he fired his agent. It's the agents fault he reneged on a promise because of his greed.

I have no idea what really happened, but let me know if this sounds remotely plausible:

* Early in free agency the Knicks and Clippers make offers to Morris. His agent assures him that there are better deals out there and advises Morris to pass.

* Rich Paul is focused on his high profile clients and not doing his due diligence regarding Morris.

* Paul tells Morris the 2 year/$20M from the Spurs is the best deal out there right now (less per year than what the Knicks and Clippers offered) and Morris is furious. Unfortunately the Knicks and Clippers moved on to other players and the offers are no longer on the table. Morris reluctantly verbally accepts the Spurs offer, but he's not pleased.

* Word starts to circulate that there's a problem with the Bullock deal. The Knicks start reaching out to uncommitted players anticipating the Bullock deal is about to blow up. Rich Paul gets wind of this and contacts the Knicks to see if they may now have cap space to offer the previous deal. Knicks say perhaps, but they need to get out of this Spurs commitment before they'll discuss it.

* Paul (knowing Morris is upset) tries to make it right by pursuing this Knicks deal. Morris tells Paul to make it happen but he needs to make sure he doesn't come out of this looking bad. Of course, there's no way for Paul to do this.

* They stall on the signing a deal, Spurs can't afford to continue to wait especially since it's obvious Morris no longer wants to sign (who wants a player who doesn't want to be there), they pull the offer and moved on.

* Morris accepts the Knicks deal and gets more money but his reps takes another hit, he blames his agent for dropping the ball on his free agency and fires Paul.

I think this is a fair take on what likely happened.

AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/17/2019  11:56 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/17/2019  11:58 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Nalod wrote:But Doc and Pop both gave multi years offers. That does mean something.
As for the money, he got bad advice or conflicting advice from agent iF he put another clients interest over his.

I might agree with you Pop. But there is a reason they phased Doc out of the GM role.

OK then Clippsers GM and president not named Doc. Point is the coaches wanted him. Morris is a dick. But now he is our dick. Pop wanted this miserable phuch. So did DOc.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

7/18/2019  12:25 AM
Nalod wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Nalod wrote:But Doc and Pop both gave multi years offers. That does mean something.
As for the money, he got bad advice or conflicting advice from agent iF he put another clients interest over his.

I might agree with you Pop. But there is a reason they phased Doc out of the GM role.

OK then Clippsers GM and president not named Doc. Point is the coaches wanted him. Morris is a dick. But now he is our dick. Pop wanted this miserable phuch. So did DOc.

Yeah, I guess but the Clippers owner is the guy who thought the Zune was a good idea and was in charge when the first XBox I bought didn't boot. I mean, we crap on Dolan, but still give Ballmer a pass after all these years...
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Kemet
Member: #6148

7/18/2019  2:19 AM
blkexec wrote:
Welpee wrote:https://www.bostonsportsjournal.com/2019/02/11/marcus-morris-teammates-reaction-critical-comments-part-everyone-agreed/
Brad Stevens was happy to see Morris speak his mind and do so while attaching accountability instead of doing it anonymously.

“That one of the things that we say at the very beginning of the year is that we don’t want to be a team quoted of unnamed sources,” he explained. “So if you’re going to say something, you’ve got to put your name next to it. And Marcus’ frustrations were obvious and evident, and you know what, in a lot of ways, I thought he said a lot of stuff that you can’t really argue with, in the last two games. So we need to be a lot better than we were at finishing out games and handling adverse situations in games, and go from there. But as long as we can put our name next to it, I’m good.”

https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/27/austin-ainge-complimentary-marcus-morris/

Count Celtics director of player personnel Austin Ainge as a fan of Morris’ team-first attitude.

On Wednesday, Ainge would compliment Morris on Twitter, saying “Mook is a great teammate. Can’t win without talented players willing to to do the dirty work like this!”

We got a team full of "doing the dirty work" players. Reminds me of the old knicks and detroit teams. Hopefully some of these vets stick around, and the youngsters turning into little blue collar workers on both ends. If all the stars line up right, this could be the base for a championship team / culture. For now, I will take making the Eastern Conference finals as a successful goal. Need our home grown talent to turn into borderline nba stars. As a deep team, we can beat these nba duo's...But it will take great coaching! Now lets see what Fitz is about.

Yep! It's all on Fizdale's coaching system now .. we got a bunch of blue-color workers to rotate alongside Fizdale's young-core Iso-unit.

MitchRob & Morris in a lineup!
Portis & Randle in a lineup!
Frank & Payton in a lineup!
Trier & DSJr in a lineup!

Welpee
Member: #6239

7/18/2019  7:21 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/18/2019  9:46 AM
TripleThreat wrote:If he's such a good teammate , why are so many teams taking a pass on him? Why won't a team give him more than a year? And this goes beyond the market collapsing on FAs this year. Morris is actually pretty versatile.
If Morris is such a bad teammate why would a team like the Spurs and a coach like Popovich want him? Besides, you have no idea how many teams "passed" on him and if they did why. For all you know there may have been several teams interested but didn't have the cap space. Or he could've been the 2nd option for some teams who didn't sign him because they were able to secure their #1 target or address a more pressing need than what Morris would help with.

Look, I'm not a Morris fan either. But I'm not co-signing on this familiar act that if a player signs with the Knicks he must be trash.

Nalod
USA
7/18/2019  7:47 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Nalod wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

Yeah, I guess but the Clippers owner is the guy who thought the Zune was a good idea and was in charge when the first XBox I bought didn't boot. I mean, we crap on Dolan, but still give Ballmer a pass after all these years...

Really, your XBOX? A bit ego centric are we?
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

7/18/2019  11:47 AM
Nalod wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Nalod wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

Really, your XBOX? A bit ego centric are we?

Traumatic experience. You know how many hours at McDonalds I put in to save for that thing? I'm not sure anything Dolan has done measures up to the disappointment and grief Stevie boy brought to me that day. I will always question the judgement of Clips management as long as he's at the owner. Mind as well call them Lakers Mobile. I'm joking...a little bit.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
ramtour420
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1388
Russian Federation
7/18/2019  3:15 PM
toodarkmark wrote:Great. A selfish hated player who turned down a verbal commitment for a team that suddenly had more money to offer. That's the kind of players that the Knicks fan deserves.

Oh right, he fired his agent. It's the agents fault he reneged on a promise because of his greed.

This. Also our Knicks have had their trouble with calls during the Melo era. This is not helping.
The only thing positive is that he might become valuable at the deadline

Everything you have ever wanted is on the other side of fear- George Adair
Kemet

7/18/2019  9:08 PM
Later for all the rumors on Morris .. I'm more interested on how well MitchRob's skill growth will become after a season alongside Morris 2-Way performance in the starter lineup? Plus having Randle, Portis, and Taj to put at PF with MitchRob at center throughout the season rotation?
Kemet

7/18/2019  9:20 PM
Knixkik wrote:
Welpee wrote:

I have no idea what really happened, but let me know if this sounds remotely plausible:

* Early in free agency the Knicks and Clippers make offers to Morris. His agent assures him that there are better deals out there and advises Morris to pass.

* Rich Paul is focused on his high profile clients and not doing his due diligence regarding Morris.

* Paul tells Morris the 2 year/$20M from the Spurs is the best deal out there right now (less per year than what the Knicks and Clippers offered) and Morris is furious. Unfortunately the Knicks and Clippers moved on to other players and the offers are no longer on the table. Morris reluctantly verbally accepts the Spurs offer, but he's not pleased.

* Word starts to circulate that there's a problem with the Bullock deal. The Knicks start reaching out to uncommitted players anticipating the Bullock deal is about to blow up. Rich Paul gets wind of this and contacts the Knicks to see if they may now have cap space to offer the previous deal. Knicks say perhaps, but they need to get out of this Spurs commitment before they'll discuss it.

* Paul (knowing Morris is upset) tries to make it right by pursuing this Knicks deal. Morris tells Paul to make it happen but he needs to make sure he doesn't come out of this looking bad. Of course, there's no way for Paul to do this.

* They stall on the signing a deal, Spurs can't afford to continue to wait especially since it's obvious Morris no longer wants to sign (who wants a player who doesn't want to be there), they pull the offer and moved on.

* Morris accepts the Knicks deal and gets more money but his reps takes another hit, he blames his agent for dropping the ball on his free agency and fires Paul.

I think this is a fair take on what likely happened.

Lot's of NBA Players and lot's of big sport Agent firms has forbidden themselves from doing business with Dolan the past 20 years .. Morris agent prefer the Spurs over the Knicks .. Morris didn't !!!

knicks1248
Member: #582
7/19/2019  12:16 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/19/2019  12:17 PM
ramtour420 wrote:

This. Also our Knicks have had their trouble with calls during the Melo era. This is not helping.

So we could Keep the revolving door spinning.

IMO the positive would be him helping this knick team win, and building continuity.

Giving a guy 15 mill so he can bounce in 4 months and join a contender...Crazy

ES
Nalod
USA
7/19/2019  12:35 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
ramtour420 wrote:

So we could Keep the revolving door spinning.

IMO the positive would be him helping this knick team win, and building continuity.

Giving a guy 15 mill so he can bounce in 4 months and join a contender...Crazy

Forget Rainman, your Livia Soprano now. Rude.

TripleThreat
Member: #3997

7/19/2019  6:52 PM
Welpee wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:If he's such a good teammate , why are so many teams taking a pass on him? Why won't a team give him more than a year? And this goes beyond the market collapsing on FAs this year. Morris is actually pretty versatile.
If Morris is such a bad teammate why would a team like the Spurs and a coach like Popovich want him? Besides, you have no idea how many teams "passed" on him and if they did why. For all you know there may have been several teams interested but didn't have the cap space. Or he could've been the 2nd option for some teams who didn't sign him because they were able to secure their #1 target or address a more pressing need than what Morris would help with.

Look, I'm not a Morris fan either. But I'm not co-signing on this familiar act that if a player signs with the Knicks he must be trash.

4 year deal = Marriage
1 year deal = Friends With Benefits
10 day contract = One Night Stand
Rest Of Season Contract = Standard Plate
Signing Ring Chasers To The Vets Minimum After They Were Bought Out By Previous Team = Cherry Picked By Cougars

Morris can slip between the sheets with some teams, but will never get to spend the night.

Morris is talented and young enough to garner a better long term contract, except he's got a rep as a total *******.

Act like the village bicycle and no one wants to marry you. Big surprise right?

Ira
Member: #91
7/21/2019  9:38 AM
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/254957/Disagreement-Between-Spurs-Knicks-Over-Marcus-Morris-Traced-Back-To-Kristaps-Porzingis

If this has already been posted, my apologies. The Knicks felt that, when they were looking to deal Porzingis, the Spurs "operated outside of accepted NBA norms" - although it's not clear exactly what that means. So the Knicks front office seems to have been looking to get back at the Spurs. Now the Spurs are upset at the Knicks.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
7/21/2019  10:14 AM
Ira wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/254957/Disagreement-Between-Spurs-Knicks-Over-Marcus-Morris-Traced-Back-To-Kristaps-Porzingis

If this has already been posted, my apologies. The Knicks felt that, when they were looking to deal Porzingis, the Spurs "operated outside of accepted NBA norms" - although it's not clear exactly what that means. So the Knicks front office seems to have been looking to get back at the Spurs. Now the Spurs are upset at the Knicks.

I doubt it was a get-back-at situation but rather a take-advantage-of situation.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Cartman718
Member: #1694

7/21/2019  6:44 PM
martin wrote:
Ira wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/254957/Disagreement-Between-Spurs-Knicks-Over-Marcus-Morris-Traced-Back-To-Kristaps-Porzingis

I doubt it was a get-back-at situation but rather a take-advantage-of situation.

what did the spurs do in the porzingis situation?

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
Marcus Morris, anyone?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy