[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Cap Space : What's the rush?
Author Thread
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

7/8/2019  3:34 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/8/2019  3:35 PM
Marv wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:I hate the rush, as you put it MS. Nothing that moves the needle. The Suns just gifted Memphis Josh Jackson because they ****ed up their cap management. Is Josh Jackson spectacular? NO. But he coudl very well prove to be part of the future moving forward. Jabari Parker just got signed to a 2 year $13 million deal. Yes, I would rather that than $31 million to Bobby Portis. I don't think we locked anyone up that is definitely going to be here for the long haul. The players we signed have to know that -- good ****ing luck getting them to play as a team instead of a bunch of mercenaries looking for their next paycheck

i don't know. 2 mercenaries battled for the title this year - one hurt - and then moved on to their respective greener pastures.

I wouldn't compare any of our guys to two of the top 5 players in the league

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
AUTOADVERT
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
7/8/2019  4:46 PM
Marv wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:I hate the rush, as you put it MS. Nothing that moves the needle. The Suns just gifted Memphis Josh Jackson because they ****ed up their cap management. Is Josh Jackson spectacular? NO. But he coudl very well prove to be part of the future moving forward. Jabari Parker just got signed to a 2 year $13 million deal. Yes, I would rather that than $31 million to Bobby Portis. I don't think we locked anyone up that is definitely going to be here for the long haul. The players we signed have to know that -- good ****ing luck getting them to play as a team instead of a bunch of mercenaries looking for their next paycheck

i don't know. 2 mercenaries battled for the title this year - one hurt - and then moved on to their respective greener pastures.

Josh Jackson is a mess off the court. The Suns wanted him off their team. Doubt his option is picked up and he is owed 7 mil this year. I don't think you want him in nyc or near the young Knicks. Jabari has been a huge disappointment. There is no effort from him on d. That is different than being a bad defensive player. He just doesn't care. You don't even see the extra hustle if he makes a mistake and turns the ball over. I think the front office took character into account both on and off the court when they brought in players. One report I saw said the Knicks signed 4/5 guys they wanted for their plan b option.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
SupremeCommander

7/8/2019  4:58 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Marv wrote:

Josh Jackson is a mess off the court. The Suns wanted him off their team. Doubt his option is picked up and he is owed 7 mil this year. I don't think you want him in nyc or near the young Knicks. Jabari has been a huge disappointment. There is no effort from him on d. That is different than being a bad defensive player. He just doesn't care. You don't even see the extra hustle if he makes a mistake and turns the ball over. I think the front office took character into account both on and off the court when they brought in players. One report I saw said the Knicks signed 4/5 guys they wanted for their plan b option.

when Bobby Portis was deemed to be a backup, he literally broke the other guy's face. He is also not known for defense. I don't like either of the guys I mentioned but they are way cheaper, and frankly are higher upside

CrushAlot
USA
7/8/2019  5:37 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
Marv wrote:

when Bobby Portis was deemed to be a backup, he literally broke the other guy's face. He is also not known for defense. I don't like either of the guys I mentioned but they are way cheaper, and frankly are higher upside

Neither of the guys you mentioned fall into the hardworking, high character category the Knicks were looking for. Jackson is a mess.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/8/2019  5:45 PM
Portis was mostly obsolved from blame. He reportedly was deeply regretful what he did but the story is Mirotic was relentless and about begged to get hit.
His teammates backed portis up. Bulls traded both.
Parker? we are a bit redundant on the wing with Knox and RJ. Not sure we need Parker who got about 7mill per.
We got guys out FO wanted. Do we really now if Holiday while cheep is a good fit other than stats?
Adams is a dinosaur and we are grooming mitch. 23mil per is a big number for him. I like him, and on the right team he will kill it.
Was this roster worth the misery we have absorbed? Of course not.
What happened to the tank? Why didn't the media tell us the 14.5% odds were there? That dont' sell ads does it.
NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

7/8/2019  9:55 PM
franco12 wrote:I like what the FO did. All team options! How the F did they do that?

The only criticism I have is I wish they would have kept $10-20m open so they could have had the option to facilitate a trade.

It would have been nice to have gotten someone like Iggy from GS, and picked up a pick. But that isn't the end of the world.

I also would have liked to resign Vonleh & Mudiay, but I think their replacements offer up greater upside. We did after all win 17 games with these players.

Easy. No other team came close to offering them the annual money we did. And if that's the case, their contracts mean they offer no trade value, since we won't take back money that goes beyond 2021. So we're stuck with them for better or worse....and considering that these guys don't really move the needle....which is why they were available in the first place....it means we basically decided to set close to $80 million on fire.

NardDogNation

7/8/2019  10:08 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/8/2019  10:11 PM
This free agency feels exactly like 2015 when we burned several million as well on Robin Lopez, Aaron Afflalo, Derrick Williams and Kevin Seraphin for $30 million. And we were using the same nonsense talking points about doing it for "veteran leadership" and how we shouldn't worry because they were only "short-term deals". One season later, not a single one of those players were on our team. Had we only used a fraction of the money spent on those guys instead on taking Jason Thompson, Carl Landry and Nik Stauskaus into space (~$20 million), we would've had the 3rd pick in the 2017 draft and the 14th pick in the 2019 draft. I definitely would've preferred those picks.

We ****ed ourselves in the same manner this offseason. We could've had the Warriors 2024 first round pick OUTRIGHT when Stephen Curry will be 36 years old, Klay Thompson will be 34 years old and Draymond Green might not even be on the team. The cost? Taking on Andre Iguodala who provides every bit the "veteran leadership" a Taj Gibson could and likely could be flipped for assets at the deadline.

We could've also had the Heat 2023 first round pick (top 5 protected; unprotected by 2026) when Jimmy Butler won't be in the NBA and Pat Riley might not even be on this plane of existence. The cost? The $10.5 million attached to Mo Harkless, who is a useful player in his own right and might even be able to get you a good 2nd round pick at the deadline.

If it came down to it, we could've still signed the bulk of these horse**** contracts, if that's what we wanted to do. But you can't fix stupid I'm told and the Knicks are exactly that. I just don't understand how the fans aren't picking up on how we're screwing ourselves the same way every year.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

7/8/2019  10:14 PM
NardDogNation wrote:This free agency feels exactly like 2015 when we burned several million as well on Robin Lopez, Aaron Afflalo, Derrick Williams and Kevin Seraphin for $30 million. And we were using the same nonsense talking points about doing it for "veteran leadership" and how we shouldn't worry because they were only "short-term deals". One season later, not a single one of those players were on our team. Had we only used a fraction of the money spent on those guys instead on taking Jason Thompson, Carl Landry and Nik Stauskaus into space (~$20 million), we would've had the 3rd pick in the 2017 draft and the 14th pick in the 2019 draft. I definitely would've preferred those picks.

We ****ed ourselves in the same manner this offseason. We could've had the Warriors 2024 first round pick OUTRIGHT when Stephen Curry will be 36 years old, Klay Thompson will be 34 years old and Draymond Green might not even be on the team. The cost? Taking on Andre Iguodala who provides every bit the "veteran leadership" a Taj Gibson could and likely could be flipped for assets at the deadline.

We could've also had the Heat 2023 first round pick (top 5 protected; unprotected by 2026) when Jimmy Butler won't be in the NBA and Pat Riley might not even be on this plane of existence. The cost? The $10.5 million attached to Mo Harkless, who is a useful player in his own right and might even be able to get you a good 2nd round pick at the deadline.

If it came down to it, we could've still signed the bulk of these horse**** contracts, if that's what we wanted to do. But you can't fix stupid I'm told and the Knicks are exactly that. I just don't understand how the fans aren't picking up on how we're screwing ourselves the same way every year.

Lopez was a good move, trading him for Rose, wasnt. Was a stat padding ball stopper. Lopez was one of the best interior defenders, rebounders, in the league at the time. Not sure how you view him as a waste of cap space. Made KP's job a lot easier his rookie year.

NardDogNation

7/8/2019  10:22 PM
^^^^^ and here is the real kick in the nuts.

Almost immediately after we missed out on Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving (who we shouldn't have wanted anyway), the Giannis to NYC rumors started to be circulated (which I've been talking about for 2 years now). If we're going to get Giannis though, it'll almost certainly come via trade since Milwaukee won't let him leave without compensation. It stands to reason they'll use the Anthony Davis trade as the framework for the a Giannis-deal since they are of similar ages, talent and contracts.

Well, the Lakers had to give up an immediate top-4 pick, 3 lightly protected future picks, one pick swap as well as middling prospects in Lonzo Ball and Brandon Ingram (who might never play again due to blood clots). Had we actually gotten that 2024 Warriors pick, the 2023 Heat pick and combined them with the Maverick picks in 2021 and 2023, we would already have the framework for such a deal WITHOUT having to start in on our own first round picks and deplete our roster. But we're a dumb franchise and continue making resoundingly dumb decisions.

NardDogNation

7/8/2019  10:25 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:This free agency feels exactly like 2015 when we burned several million as well on Robin Lopez, Aaron Afflalo, Derrick Williams and Kevin Seraphin for $30 million. And we were using the same nonsense talking points about doing it for "veteran leadership" and how we shouldn't worry because they were only "short-term deals". One season later, not a single one of those players were on our team. Had we only used a fraction of the money spent on those guys instead on taking Jason Thompson, Carl Landry and Nik Stauskaus into space (~$20 million), we would've had the 3rd pick in the 2017 draft and the 14th pick in the 2019 draft. I definitely would've preferred those picks.

Lopez was a good move, trading him for Rose, wasnt. Was a stat padding ball stopper. Lopez was one of the best interior defenders, rebounders, in the league at the time. Not sure how you view him as a waste of cap space. Made KP's job a lot easier his rookie year.

He didn't come close to the justifying the opportunity costs of gift-wrapped lottery picks from the Kings. I knew that then. I see no reason to change that position today.

GustavBahler

7/8/2019  10:28 PM
NardDogNation wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

He didn't come close to the justifying the opportunity costs of gift-wrapped lottery picks from the Kings. I knew that then. I see no reason to change that position today.

Lopez was a bust because your trade fantasy didnt happen?

NardDogNation

7/8/2019  10:47 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Is it a fantasy if the deal happened with Philly and Sac?

Lopez is alright. But he is expendable and is why he's been on 5 teams in his career; 6 if you consider the Bucks. You don't pick that over an opportunity to get multiple/improved lottery picks. It's why the Sixers are title contenders and we have to delude ourselves into thinking Julius Randle and company can be cornerstones for this franchise.

GustavBahler

7/8/2019  10:54 PM
NardDogNation wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Lopez is alright. But he is expendable and is why he's been on 5 teams in his career; 6 if you consider the Bucks. You don't pick that over an opportunity to get multiple/improved lottery picks. It's why the Sixers are title contenders and we have to delude ourselves into thinking Julius Randle and company can be cornerstones for this franchise.

It is a fantasy if you believe the Knicks could have pulled off precisely the same deal because you say so. Dont care how many teams Lopez has been on, was playing at a high level in NY. He took tbe toughest defensive assignments, boxed out so KP could grab a board. By the end of the season he developed a hook shot, became more of a two way player. Surprised anyone is trying to say otherwise.

CrushAlot
USA
7/8/2019  10:54 PM

The difference between 2015 and 2019 was in 2015 the goal was to sign guys to make a playoff run. In 2019 the goal was to sign guys that would help a very young team grow organically and learn how to win. The front office had a plan b and executed it quickly. Reportedly they had 5 players targeted and got 4.
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
7/8/2019  11:01 PM
A lot of talk about nothing.
The group we signed was designed a couple of month back.
FO including Knicks are working with agents and players.
Most of the FA "drama" was just signing on the dotted lines of the deals negotiated well beforehand.
Knicks get what they can and want from was available.
The control of FO on who will be available and agree to sign to short deals is limited.
The fans cannot control even their own wiled fantasies and get upset when this did not became a reality (and they never do).
Its all business that most of us know sht about.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
NardDogNation

7/8/2019  11:08 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

It is a fantasy if you believe the Knicks could have pulled off precisely the same deal because you say so. Dont care how many teams Lopez has been on, was playing at a high level in NY. He took tbe toughest defensive assignments, boxed out so KP could grab a board. By the end of the season he developed a hook shot, became more of a two way player. Surprised anyone is trying to say otherwise.

When did I even speak about Lopez's game? If it means anything, I think he's useful. But by no stretch of the imagination is integral. And you don't pass up the opportunity to get lottery picks for something that is not integral. If you read ANY of the headlines surrounding that deal between the Kings and Sixers, it was regarded as a coup for the Sixers because it was a foregone conclusion that those picks were going to be extremely valuable. I would've been fine with making due with Kyle O'Quinn and Kevin Seraphin if that type of deal was floating around. And we would've been no worse or better during a lost season for it.

But explain to me why the Sixers could get that deal, while we couldn't? I could understand how the Kings would gain leverage if we showed interest as well. But not to the extent where we couldn't get back real draft assets for taking on players that offerred no on-court value.

NardDogNation

7/8/2019  11:15 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/8/2019  11:27 PM
CrushAlot wrote:

The difference between 2015 and 2019 was in 2015 the goal was to sign guys to make a playoff run. In 2019 the goal was to sign guys that would help a very young team grow organically and learn how to win. The front office had a plan b and executed it quickly. Reportedly they had 5 players targeted and got 4.

And what I'm saying is that the goal was stupid then and now. We're trying to sign guys that can help a young team "grow...and learn how to win"? Exactly what has any of these guys won? I could tolerate Julius Randle but all these other guys? They're castoffs when we got them and will be castoffs when they float onto other teams when these contracts expire. I could understand making these decisions if there were no other opportunities you could follow up on but this obviously wasn't the case.

EDIT: For the record, I thought we were at a fork-in-the-road in 2015. Either we should've traded that 4th pick (Porzingis) for an opportunity to reload around Melo or trade Melo and begin a rebuild. I preferred the rebuild even then though. The writing was obviously on the wall with Melo and his health. Thought we should've tried flipping him for that MIA pick at 10 and expirings. When we decided to go the middle of the pack route, I thought the Afflalo signing was alright. Was even fine with the Lopez signing. But it always felt like we were settling in to be a threadmill team that would would be poorly positioned for the future and incapable of competing meaningfully. I feel the same way now.

GustavBahler

7/8/2019  11:22 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/8/2019  11:23 PM
NardDogNation wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

When did I even speak about Lopez's game? If it means anything, I think he's useful. But by no stretch of the imagination is integral. And you don't pass up the opportunity to get lottery picks for something that is not integral. If you read ANY of the headlines surrounding that deal between the Kings and Sixers, it was regarded as a coup for the Sixers because it was a foregone conclusion that those picks were going to be extremely valuable. I would've been fine with making due with Kyle O'Quinn and Kevin Seraphin if that type of deal was floating around. And we would've been no worse or better during a lost season for it.

But explain to me why the Sixers could get that deal, while we couldn't? I could understand how the Kings would gain leverage if we showed interest as well. But not to the extent where we couldn't get back real draft assets for taking on players that offerred no on-court value.

Lopez could have been an integral part of the team, was his only season in NY. Check out how many games he has missed in his career At the time he was one of the ironmen in tbe league in that dept. Lopez was signed as an FA.

Every team has a different roster, you are suggesting that trading for one player is no different than trading for another. The deals these teams completed were specific to those rosters.You're assuming they would look at our roster at the time in exactly the same way. Doesnt work like that.

Another thing to factor in is relationships between rival execs. Phil didnt really have any. Good relationships with other execs can get you better deals than you might get normally. Perry seems to be on good terms with other execs, probably easier to reach than Phil.

SupremeCommander

7/8/2019  11:37 PM

PREACH

GustavBahler

7/8/2019  11:41 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:

PREACH

Welcome to Fantasy Island, all we need is Tattoo...

Cap Space : What's the rush?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy