[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Cap Space : What's the rush?
Author Thread
MS
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #724
7/8/2019  10:46 AM
We are nine days into free agency and I still have no idea what was the rush to lock up all this marginal talent. Everyone is on board with Julius Randle, that was a great move.

However the greatest luxury in the NBA is flexibility. Teams are overleveraged and want to get out of paying the luxury tax. We saw the Warriors give away Iggy for picks. He's going to get flipped for another asset at the deadline. The Blazers just gave away a first round pick in a salary dump.

Why not Justin Holiday on a two year deal over Reggie Bullock for half the price to maintain more space? Vonleh is 23 and you could have locked him in at 2-3MM a year on a two year contract or given him a KOQ 4 year deal. Why not him over Gibson or Portis?

Justin Holiday 10.5pts 3.9rbs 1.8 ass 39% (+ defender)
Reggie Bullock 11.7pts 2.7rbs 2.0ass 41%
Ellington 10pts 2rbs 1.4ass 40% 37%

Noah 8.4pts 7.8rbs 1.9ass 47% 33% 3ps (23 years old)
Gibson 10.8pts 6.5rbs

OKC is rebuilding, Adams has a terrible contract, but it's only two years so it fits our timeline, Presti is going to want to clear him. The Knicks would have been able to acquiring picks in that scenario. These opportunities are going to be out there later in the year.

We had to stretch Noah for what reason? He was productive for the Grizzles and expires in two years. They could have done it this summer if they needed the space. I would rather have him than Gibson, especially when he counts against our cap in three years at $6.3MM.

We have been selling the same wait and see plan for every free agent. Why not wait and see what type of assets we could acquire before using all our space?

AUTOADVERT
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
7/8/2019  11:11 AM
This is a backward azz organization. They don’t know what they are doing. Those that think there is a plan in place are greatly mistaken. The front office is operating on a brain dead level. There is something really really wrong when management operates on the assumption that their skin color will attract free agents or hiring a coach with 2019 free agents in mind because he is in the known circle of LeBron and Wade and other young possible star talent. If this is the basis for team operations then there seriously something wrong here. Que Fish to say that not what he was hired for but there are numerous articles to back this up one Mitch Lawrence piece written for Forbes.

My gosh the low level that this management group operates at is an absolute joke.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

7/8/2019  11:23 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/8/2019  11:23 AM
Management was looking for a certain type of vet. Vets who play hard, who could help mentor the young kids, show them how to compete. You wont find all that info in a stat sheet.

Not just about what they can do on the court, but what they can do to bring along the younger players. They were targeting players who fit the bill, not rushing out and signing the biggest stat stuffers they could find.

Patience

knicks1248
Member: #582
7/8/2019  11:43 AM
Wait, so you want the knicks to keep repeating what they have done since Mills took over.

Obviously loosing Is the reason every top dog FA skipped out on us, our young players value couldnt be lower, so you couldn't even trade for one either

Also you should pay attention to the TREND around the league, ROLE PLAYERS are signing 1,2,3 yr deals so everyone is given themselves flexibility, not just mills and perry

Until this FO prioritize winning they continue to spin their wheels and preach patience.

ES
Vmart
USA
7/8/2019  12:03 PM
Mentoring players. WOW is this what we have come down to. What the hell do they have training staff and coaches for. Instead of paying Tai Gibson they could have gotten Iggy and a pick from the warriors all for the sake of cap space. You could have found a vet for a lot cheaper. I am stunned by how callous some have become to the Knicks screw ups.
GustavBahler

7/8/2019  12:14 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/8/2019  12:15 PM
Vmart wrote:Mentoring players. WOW is this what we have come down to. What the hell do they have training staff and coaches for. Instead of paying Tai Gibson they could have gotten Iggy and a pick from the warriors all for the sake of cap space. You could have found a vet for a lot cheaper. I am stunned by how callous some have become to the Knicks screw ups.

Most stars, players who got anywhere in this league gave some of the credit to players who showed them the ropes. You guys have seen two SL games, have not seen game 1 with any of these new additions, but you cant stop crying.

Lets go back to giving broken down stars a max deal, lets just sign players by their stats alone. Lets sign someone like Kyrie, who only cares about his numbers, who hasnt shown he can play the point anywnere

You guys keep whining about the moves Perry is making in the second year of a rebuild, who is avoiding the mistakes of his predecessors, including Mills. You guys think like NBA2K GMs, throw players out there, focus only on stats, ignore chemistry.

Vmart
USA
7/8/2019  12:21 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
Vmart wrote:Mentoring players. WOW is this what we have come down to. What the hell do they have training staff and coaches for. Instead of paying Tai Gibson they could have gotten Iggy and a pick from the warriors all for the sake of cap space. You could have found a vet for a lot cheaper. I am stunned by how callous some have become to the Knicks screw ups.

Most stars, players who got anywhere in this league gave some of the credit to players who showed them the ropes. You guys have seen two SL games, have not seen game 1 with any of these new additions, but you cant stop crying.

Lets go back to giving broken down stars a max deal, lets just sign players by their stats alone. Lets sign someone like Kyrie, who only cares about his numbers, who hasnt shown he can play the point anywnere

You guys keep whining about the moves Perry is making in the second year of a rebuild, who is avoiding the mistakes of his predecessors, including Mills. You guys think like NBA2K GMs, throw players out there, focus only on stats, ignore chemistry.

Not once did I say give KD a contract or even Kyrie. What I totally disliked was not meeting Kawhi. Regardless if he said no or not. They should have met with him. As for the additions of Gibson, Payten, Bullock and Ellington I find these moves to be cluster f’ing the team and rather a move which will stunt the young players rather than help them.

GustavBahler

7/8/2019  12:31 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/8/2019  12:33 PM
Vmart wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Not once did I say give KD a contract or even Kyrie. What I totally disliked was not meeting Kawhi. Regardless if he said no or not. They should have met with him. As for the additions of Gibson, Payten, Bullock and Ellington I find these moves to be cluster f’ing the team and rather a move which will stunt the young players rather than help them.

Clusterfing the team would have been signing these players to long term deals. The biggest targets in free agency were hurt. Kemba's family didnt want to move back to NY. Perry had two choices. Sign the next Amare, or sign some good role players, good citizens, who wont step on tbe rebuild. Who will be good soldiers (so to speak) while the Knicks wait for an opportunity to upgrade the roster. Could be via trade this season, who knows? Point is the Knicks were looking for role players who wont step on tbe minutes of the younger players the Knicks are developing. Learning how to win, with tough minded, experienced players. They arent stars, but they arent scrubs either. Not sure why you are rendering a verdict before they even get to camp.

MS
Member: #724
7/8/2019  12:34 PM
Payton and Portis are not veterans. Who has playoff experience really outside of Gibson. Players look up to Vince Carter, why not sign him, if you're executing this strategy? Perhaps just hire assistant coaches that have played in the league. Sam Cassel on the Clippers as an example.

The organization clearly doesn't understand what's important to players. This we are NY or we are the Knicks garbage hasn't worked for 20 years because we are the worst franchise in the league. People are pitching business opportunities, like the Warriors, Nets, etc and we have Dolan throwing legends out of the building, banning fans and media, it's just sad.

We traded our franchise player because he was pissed that our previous GM **** all over our "star player" in the media and had his lackey, Rosen undressing players in the papers. Everyone is quick to point out KP's brother and ask what has KP done in this league. What have the Knicks done aside from execute the same dog **** plan year after year, miss out on free agents and then sell the next crop of free agents we are going to miss on.

You know whose the biggest free agent acquisition in the league for the past 30 years. Jerry Fucking West. He was able to bring Shaq and Kobe to LA. Head down to Memphis work smart trades and get them in position to make the playoffs year after year, went to GS advised them on draft selections and helped them win championships and took over the Clippers rebuilt them on the fly and delievered two franchise players and likely an NBA title. Blake was considered unmoveable, but he turned him into Harris, then turned him into Shamet and two first round picks.

But, we needed to use our cap space on day one and overpay four guys that will help us get 8 more wins and bring back nothing in return.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/8/2019  12:38 PM
Vmart wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Don't have to meet with kawhi to know what he wanted.
Even if he said "Get me Paul George", you really want to do that trade? What does season 1 or two look like? Not for me to say, im not the lazy one promoting what should have been.

The orginal goal was Pair KP with KD. I believe that was the plan. KP to wait until he proved healthy and waiting added 10mm to our cap availability. He wanted what he wanted. OK, plan B.....Sign two free agents. Only dolan gave us starphuch hope, nobody but media said who it was.
We are learning Durant an Kyrie were thick as thieves about the nets all year long. If knicks new this then, and it appears they were ready to jump on plan C when the clock struck. We had our fan heads up our arses with low math Zion dreams as well.

Am I happy? No. Not now, not a few weeks ago. But im not delusional. Im not riding the emotional bipolar roller coaster.

We are not ready to make a big trade yet. But PG shook loose. Kawhi? That ball don't roll up and they go to finals, he is labeled "head case". Sorry, im not sold on the hype. Im glad we don't do what Clippers did.
Westbrook shakes loose. Not for us.

But one day we'll be ready. Like you said, "Why Rush"??/

GustavBahler

7/8/2019  12:47 PM
MS wrote:Payton and Portis are not veterans. Who has playoff experience really outside of Gibson. Players look up to Vince Carter, why not sign him, if you're executing this strategy? Perhaps just hire assistant coaches that have played in the league. Sam Cassel on the Clippers as an example.

The organization clearly doesn't understand what's important to players. This we are NY or we are the Knicks garbage hasn't worked for 20 years because we are the worst franchise in the league. People are pitching business opportunities, like the Warriors, Nets, etc and we have Dolan throwing legends out of the building, banning fans and media, it's just sad.

We traded our franchise player because he was pissed that our previous GM **** all over our "star player" in the media and had his lackey, Rosen undressing players in the papers. Everyone is quick to point out KP's brother and ask what has KP done in this league. What have the Knicks done aside from execute the same dog **** plan year after year, miss out on free agents and then sell the next crop of free agents we are going to miss on.

You know whose the biggest free agent acquisition in the league for the past 30 years. Jerry Fucking West. He was able to bring Shaq and Kobe to LA. Head down to Memphis work smart trades and get them in position to make the playoffs year after year, went to GS advised them on draft selections and helped them win championships and took over the Clippers rebuilt them on the fly and delievered two franchise players and likely an NBA title. Blake was considered unmoveable, but he turned him into Harris, then turned him into Shamet and two first round picks.

But, we needed to use our cap space on day one and overpay four guys that will help us get 8 more wins and bring back nothing in return.

Wasnt talking about Payton. What should have been the goal this season, when the Knicks couldnt get the FAs they wanted? (healthy anyway)

Should they have gone all on expensive retreads with long term deals? Should they trade anyone under 21? Should they find players who expect minutes, rebuilding be dammned?

These are short term contacts. Good stopgap players for the most part until Perry decides who to keep, and where to upgrade. Anyone who says its the same old Knicks needs some coffee. This is the polar opposite of how the Knicks have done business.

knicks1248
Member: #582
7/8/2019  1:31 PM
Vmart wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Actually I get why they skip the meeting with Kawhi or any other TOP FA..

No one wants to play in NY alone, so why waste time knowing you don't have enough CAp for 2 max or the assets to trade for a max.

This is now a players league, did you here what PORTIS SAID..90% of players knew where KD and Irving were going since February..

If the knicks were serious about winning they would have done what it took to trade for AD and kawhi would have had more of an incentive,..

ES
smackeddog
Member: #883
7/8/2019  1:39 PM
MS wrote:We are nine days into free agency and I still have no idea what was the rush to lock up all this marginal talent. Everyone is on board with Julius Randle, that was a great move.

However the greatest luxury in the NBA is flexibility. Teams are overleveraged and want to get out of paying the luxury tax. We saw the Warriors give away Iggy for picks. He's going to get flipped for another asset at the deadline. The Blazers just gave away a first round pick in a salary dump.

Why not Justin Holiday on a two year deal over Reggie Bullock for half the price to maintain more space? Vonleh is 23 and you could have locked him in at 2-3MM a year on a two year contract or given him a KOQ 4 year deal. Why not him over Gibson or Portis?

Gibson 10.8pts 6.5rbs

OKC is rebuilding, Adams has a terrible contract, but it's only two years so it fits our timeline, Presti is going to want to clear him. The Knicks would have been able to acquiring picks in that scenario. These opportunities are going to be out there later in the year.

We had to stretch Noah for what reason? He was productive for the Grizzles and expires in two years. They could have done it this summer if they needed the space. I would rather have him than Gibson, especially when he counts against our cap in three years at $6.3MM.

We have been selling the same wait and see plan for every free agent. Why not wait and see what type of assets we could acquire before using all our space?

So you trade for Adams, and there goes Mitch's playing time- how does that make sense?

TPercy
Member: #5748

7/8/2019  1:44 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/8/2019  1:45 PM
If OKC is rebuilding then why would they give us their picks/ young prospects? They ain’t signing nobody
The Future is Bright!
TPercy
Member: #5748

7/8/2019  1:50 PM
As for Noah Vonleh you could make an argument that we resign him bc he is cheaper and establishes more continuity but the fact is that Bobby Portis is a much better prospect. We are trying to be a competitive team in the coming years and to be a competitive team you need talent. Furthermore Tak Gibson gives us leadership and defense, two things this team is severely lacking. Some of y’all might not agree with these moves but to suggest that this organization doesn’t have a clear vision is crazy
The Future is Bright!
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/8/2019  2:23 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/8/2019  2:27 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Vmart wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Actually I get why they skip the meeting with Kawhi or any other TOP FA..

No one wants to play in NY alone, so why waste time knowing you don't have enough CAp for 2 max or the assets to trade for a max.

This is now a players league, did you here what PORTIS SAID..90% of players knew where KD and Irving were going since February..

If the knicks were serious about winning they would have done what it took to trade for AD and kawhi would have had more of an incentive,..

Put your trade together, then what is left?
THEN you take the meeting. If Kawhi desides to join LA (no AD).
Or a lessor trade that bought in PG13........
Then what? Two scenarios 1248....Do it.
Knicks with AD and Kawhi and with just AD.

Don't be all hindsight whining about it, do the work and post it. Then discuss. You all big with what ifs AFTER, then do it.
ANd remember you have to use an accurate timeline, not making shyt up in hindsight to suit your position.

Go ahead. Do the work. Impress us. We all for contrasting views and intellectual debates with accuracy.

https://y.yarn.co/4b94d3d2-b638-4a7f-9709-cb9899e379ea.mp4?1562610289276

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
7/8/2019  3:10 PM
I like what the FO did. All team options! How the F did they do that?

The only criticism I have is I wish they would have kept $10-20m open so they could have had the option to facilitate a trade.

It would have been nice to have gotten someone like Iggy from GS, and picked up a pick. But that isn't the end of the world.

I also would have liked to resign Vonleh & Mudiay, but I think their replacements offer up greater upside. We did after all win 17 games with these players.

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
7/8/2019  3:12 PM
MS wrote:We are nine days into free agency and I still have no idea what was the rush to lock up all this marginal talent. Everyone is on board with Julius Randle, that was a great move.

Gibson 10.8pts 6.5rbs

2nd year isn't a team option for Adams - and you'd have messed with our cap for next year, possibly prevented us from getting Randle.

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

7/8/2019  3:18 PM
I hate the rush, as you put it MS. Nothing that moves the needle. The Suns just gifted Memphis Josh Jackson because they ****ed up their cap management. Is Josh Jackson spectacular? NO. But he coudl very well prove to be part of the future moving forward. Jabari Parker just got signed to a 2 year $13 million deal. Yes, I would rather that than $31 million to Bobby Portis. I don't think we locked anyone up that is definitely going to be here for the long haul. The players we signed have to know that -- good ****ing luck getting them to play as a team instead of a bunch of mercenaries looking for their next paycheck
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
7/8/2019  3:21 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:I hate the rush, as you put it MS. Nothing that moves the needle. The Suns just gifted Memphis Josh Jackson because they ****ed up their cap management. Is Josh Jackson spectacular? NO. But he coudl very well prove to be part of the future moving forward. Jabari Parker just got signed to a 2 year $13 million deal. Yes, I would rather that than $31 million to Bobby Portis. I don't think we locked anyone up that is definitely going to be here for the long haul. The players we signed have to know that -- good ****ing luck getting them to play as a team instead of a bunch of mercenaries looking for their next paycheck

i don't know. 2 mercenaries battled for the title this year - one hurt - and then moved on to their respective greener pastures.

Cap Space : What's the rush?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy