[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Scott Perry's record in drafting --
Author Thread
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

7/9/2019  3:15 PM
Perry was AGM for most of his executive career. First time Ive ever heard anyone make it about an assistant.
AUTOADVERT
HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

7/9/2019  4:31 PM
Think Perrys record is above par.

Fact of the matter is that you cant point to any GM who has had a "great" record predicting the crap shoot we call the draft. Out of 60 picks taken in each of the 2 rounds for last several years, here are the very few one can consider "So Called" top tier or High Impactt players.

2017 (Too early but strong starts)
3. Jayson Tatum
13. Donovan Mitchell
27. Kyle Kuzma
1.Ben Simmons
Solid but not stars(Ingram,Brown,Bronson)
1. Towns
2. DLo Russell
4. Kristaps
11. Turner
13. Booker
3. Embiid
4. Gordon
13. Levine
41. Jokic
2. Olidipo
10.McCollum
15. Giannis
1. Anthony Davis
2. Beal
6. Damian Lillard
9.,Drummond
35.Draymond Green
39. Middleton

May have missed a couple but think about it.... 22 Out of 300 picks taken were solid impact players. The fact he had a few of them is pretty good.

Point is it is not as easy as made out to be. Reason I believe draft and young assets should be gathered to pick up proven young TOP tier players. Or teams can just continue to play the crap shoot for years waiting for that lucky pick.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
Chandler
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6197

7/9/2019  6:11 PM
smackeddog wrote:
Chandler wrote:
I will admit I am impressed with his round 2 picks (and UDFA) for the Knicks.

Having said that, I'm not sure how proud he is of the following. His best value pick was arguably K. Middleton but after one year (mostly in G league) he was included in a dump to get Brandon Jennings from the Bucks

Oladipo arguably his most talented pick but he was dumped with Sabonis and ilyasova for Ibaka
De'Aaron Fox is another quality pick

Detroit: vice president of basketball operations from 2008 to 2012:

1/ 29 D.J. White
2/ 59 Deron Washington

1/ 15 Austin Daye
2/ 35 DaJuan Summers
2/ 39 Jonas Jerebko
2/ 44 Chase Budinger

Round
1/ 7 Greg Monroe
2/ 36 Terrico White

1/ 8 Brandon Knight
2/ 33 Kyle Singler
2/ 52 Vernon Macklin

1/9 Andre Drummond
2/ 39 Khris Middleton (Arguably his best pick but traded to Bucks after 1 season and 27 games in a package with Brandon Knight to get Brandon Jennings)
2/ 44 Kim English

Orlando: vice president and assistant general manager

1 / 2 Victor Oladipo (traded by Perry FO to OKC along with Ersan İlyasova and the draft rights to Domantas Sabonis, to the Oklahoma City Thunder in exchange for Serge Ibaka
2 / 51 Romero Osby

1 / 4 Aaron Gordon

1 / 12 Dario Šarić (draft rights traded for E. Payton --

1 / 5 Mario Hezonja
2 / 51 Tyler Harvey

1 / 11 Domantas Sabonis (traded to Oklahoma City)
2 / 41 Stephen Zimmerman
2/47 Jake Layman (from Chicago, traded to Portland)

2017 (just in case he had any input; he moved to Kings 4/17 before the draft)
1 / 6 Jonathan Isaac
1 /25 Anžejs Pasečņiks
2 /33 Wesley Iwundu
2 / 35 Ivan Rabb

Kings
1 /5 De'Aaron Fox
1 / 10 Zach Collins (traded to Portland for Justin Jackson and Harry Giles)
2 / 34 Frank Mason III

Right, so if the vice president of bball operations is responsible for the Detroit picks, does that mean the vice president of bball ops is responsible for our draft picks?

Kings picks were all great, who knows how much input he had on the Magic decisions, but whoever did, Oladipo, Aaron Gordon, Sabonis and Saric is an excellent track record. Knicks record is also good so far

i don't think it's as awesome as you do. I think you have some very creative accounting

He traded Oladipo before he was good (along with Sabonis) for Ibaka who they kept for a year. If he was good in picking him he was a dummy to trade him and Sabonis for so little
Saric rights were traded for E.Payton (Philly wanted Saric; Magic wanted Payton)

(5)(5)
Chandler

7/9/2019  6:16 PM
smackeddog wrote:
Chandler wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
Nalod wrote:Perry was not the defecto GM. I can’t figure how to come to decide his record.

Don't you get it?! According to Chandler, no matter what position Perry had with his former teams, he was 100% responsible for ALL draft and trade decisions- even when he wasn't the GM!

Check his wiki. He takes credit. And if not what was the basis for hiring him, his good looks?

That’s his record. And for the record it’s foolish to think even the gm makes a decision in isolation

As I said I’m impressed w his second round and udfa picks

I’ve also supported KK and think he will reward the Knicks if patient

And said repeatedly R.J. will need time too. He just turned 19

You guys are allowed to ignore the record or dismiss what I think are legitimate questions

a) the drafting record is pretty good- Oladipo, Sabonis, Fox, Trier, Mitch

b) you're talking complete s*** and you know it- do you honestly believe that the vice president of bball operations makes the final drafting decision? Because if you genuinely for some reason believe that, then Jamie Mathews was responsible for our draft picks (He's the Knicks vice president of bball operations). Do you really believe Jamie Mathews made the final decision on our draft picks?

my opening line in the OP: i said I'm impressed with his second round picks and his UDFA. I am still hopeful on KK and RJ too (not because of some stellar play but because of their youth and upside). time will tell if they're studs or duds

If we didn't hire him for his record, what did we hire him for? he was certainly part of the process. no i don't think he had final say; that would be the GM most likely; it's also ignorant to think he wouldn't be expected to be a driving force.

(5)(5)
Chandler

7/9/2019  6:18 PM
CrushAlot wrote:Interesting tidbit in Bermans article today about Wooten. Apparently the Knicks told Wooten they would take him at 55 if they didn’t move up. Wooten looks like a keeper

he looks like another great pickup (even if he were 55); better still as UDFA

I would argue that so far this is Perry's biggest strength -- a lot of great teams have found gems late (e.g., M. Gasol; Draymond; Jokic ; Toronto up and down)

(5)(5)
Chandler

7/9/2019  6:27 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:Think Perrys record is above par.

Fact of the matter is that you cant point to any GM who has had a "great" record predicting the crap shoot we call the draft. Out of 60 picks taken in each of the 2 rounds for last several years, here are the very few one can consider "So Called" top tier or High Impactt players.

3. Jayson Tatum
13. Donovan Mitchell
27. Kyle Kuzma
1.Ben Simmons
1. Towns
2. DLo Russell
4. Kristaps
11. Turner
13. Booker
3. Embiid
4. Gordon
13. Levine
41. Jokic
2. Olidipo
10.McCollum
15. Giannis
1. Anthony Davis
2. Beal
6. Damian Lillard
9.,Drummond
35.Draymond Green
39. Middleton

May have missed a couple but think about it.... 22 Out of 300 picks taken were solid impact players. The fact he had a few of them is pretty good.

Point is it is not as easy as made out to be. Reason I believe draft and young assets should be gathered to pick up proven young TOP tier players. Or teams can just continue to play the crap shoot for years waiting for that lucky pick.

360 picks for 6 years. Agree it's a crap shoot. and he deserves credit for De'Aaron Fox probably too.

I think his picking is par or below par pre-Knicks. If we want an out and say it's someone else's fault (GM) that seems questionable (why the hell did we hire him then)

If you want to credit the Olidipo pick that's fine but someone screwed up in trading him when they did. And Middelton could have been a great pick; but they kept him in mostly in the G-league for a season and then dumped him for low value. Perhaps we blame someone else for the trades??? (no sarcasm intended)

he has been doing great (not good) in 2d round and UDFA for us

(5)(5)
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

7/9/2019  6:36 PM
Chandler wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:Think Perrys record is above par.

3. Jayson Tatum
13. Donovan Mitchell
27. Kyle Kuzma
1.Ben Simmons
1. Towns
2. DLo Russell
4. Kristaps
11. Turner
13. Booker
3. Embiid
4. Gordon
13. Levine
41. Jokic
2. Olidipo
10.McCollum
15. Giannis
1. Anthony Davis
2. Beal
6. Damian Lillard
9.,Drummond
35.Draymond Green
39. Middleton

360 picks for 6 years. Agree it's a crap shoot. and he deserves credit for De'Aaron Fox probably too.

I think his picking is par or below par pre-Knicks. If we want an out and say it's someone else's fault (GM) that seems questionable (why the hell did we hire him then)

If you want to credit the Olidipo pick that's fine but someone screwed up in trading him when they did. And Middelton could have been a great pick; but they kept him in mostly in the G-league for a season and then dumped him for low value. Perhaps we blame someone else for the trades??? (no sarcasm intended)

he has been doing great (not good) in 2d round and UDFA for us

You pick up Mitch in the second round and Trier as free agent then you can say he's been great for us on that front. We have to wait and see on Knox and Barret.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/9/2019  11:56 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/9/2019  11:57 PM
“HE” did not trade anyone. “HE” was not the GM in Orlando.
“HE” was an assistant. “HE” was the assistant in SAC also.
Perry might have been the dude who was like “dude, don’t do. We don’t know.
What’s next? Obamacare?
Scott Perry's record in drafting --

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy