My Way Too Early Take on RJ Barrett
Author Thread
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
7/13/2019  9:33 PM
Allanfan20 wrote:
Uptown wrote:
JesseDark wrote:Just figured out who RJ reminds me of, Renaldo Balkman.
There is nothing about the way RJ shoots, dribbles, passes, looks or runs that is similar to Balkman
Solid point. Maybe Lee Nailon is a better comparison.

Ooof. That stings.

AUTOADVERT
fitzfarm
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3285

7/13/2019  9:34 PM
Allanfan20 wrote:
Uptown wrote:

There is nothing about the way RJ shoots, dribbles, passes, looks or runs that is similar to Balkman

Lol these are jokes right? He looks like a more advanced rookie James harden with some q rich power... honesty the nba has never seen a RJ

TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
7/13/2019  10:13 PM
I no longer have any concerns about RJ. The amazing thing is this kid improved EVERY single game. He has to refine a lot of things, but I do not doubt he has the drive to be at worst a solid starter/borderline Allstar. We just have to give it time.
Trust the Process
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
7/13/2019  10:18 PM
fitzfarm wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
Uptown wrote:

Lol these are jokes right? He looks like a more advanced rookie James harden with some q rich power... honesty the nba has never seen a RJ

Obviously you haven’t read up on the sarcastic history of Allanfan, dating back to the msgnetwork boards.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
smackeddog
Member: #883
7/14/2019  3:06 AM
Who'd of thought you shouldn't make conclusions about a rookie on their first 2 games of summer league? (not talking about the people who raised concerns/ questions, just the people who desperately seized on it to proclaim him a bust). Thankfully everyone will have forgotten this lesson in time for next years.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/14/2019  8:53 AM
WE prize and excuse youth. But get some time in the league your pigeon holed.

If yesterdays game was the first game of SL the noise would been so positive. But it was the 5th.
Thus, RJ projected ceiling is capped. He is who he is. Sure, he’ll be an NBA player, but nothing great.

If that was the fist game his trade value would have been higher too!!! Mills should trade him inside of 48 hours if he is smart.

sarcasim.

fitzfarm
Member: #3285

7/14/2019  9:50 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/14/2019  9:53 AM
Man I must say, observations of the last two games RJ has a very high basketball IQ we started running our offense through him and he made everyone better. If he can work on his shot and add that to his game we have the makings of a star.

Very impressive

As soon as we took RJ out for a breather we faltered, he was our driver.

A very nice 2 guard who can take the pressure off our pg’s and allow them to score. I’m excited for a DSJR, RJ backcourt.

I have a feeling DSJR and Frank take big steps forward this year.

RJ needs to be a 75% ft shooter cause he’s gonna go to the line a lot

smackeddog
Member: #883
7/14/2019  11:43 AM
fitzfarm wrote:Man I must say, observations of the last two games RJ has a very high basketball IQ we started running our offense through him and he made everyone better. If he can work on his shot and add that to his game we have the makings of a star.

Very impressive

As soon as we took RJ out for a breather we faltered, he was our driver.

A very nice 2 guard who can take the pressure off our pg’s and allow them to score. I’m excited for a DSJR, RJ backcourt.

I have a feeling DSJR and Frank take big steps forward this year.

RJ needs to be a 75% ft shooter cause he’s gonna go to the line a lot

Agreed, like I said earlier I hope fiz emphasises RJs assists rather than scoring

GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
7/16/2019  8:40 AM
Great to see him improve over the last 2...shows he is a student and is working to improve. ALso that he has the skills.

RJ will be good for NY...maybe even in a Simmon style role? Definitely a positive for the team growth.

NY will turn heads this year. Not an easy game for anyone....does that translate into 35+ wins? I think so but we will see.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
7/16/2019  10:33 AM
RJ also showed me he wants to ball. Zion was happy to be shut down. Culver didn’t play for the strangest reason ever. None of these guys want to play. Barrett loves the game and is competitive and it shows.
Nalod
USA
7/16/2019  10:40 AM
Player light up SL were fit them for HOF jacket.
Player shows inconsistency we praise him for showing up.
Teams filled with mostly non drafted players. The top guys are not in shape and asked to play with really hungry free agents who practiced for just a few days and when we can't get chemistry we blast the coaches for not running a system.

SL is a joke either way. Over hyped waste of time. The hype leading up to Zion's game was shameful.

Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
7/16/2019  10:44 AM
Nalod wrote:Player light up SL were fit them for HOF jacket.
Teams filled with mostly non drafted players. The top guys are not in shape and asked to play with really hungry free agents who practiced for just a few days and when we can't get chemistry we blast the coaches for not running a system.

SL is a joke either way. Over hyped waste of time. The hype leading up to Zion's game was shameful.

doesn't give you all the answers but offers some. what's wrong with seeing how a player shows up and what they have to offer under the circumstances. rj's transition from first 2 games to last 3 was extremely interesting and positive to see. just skip the bust or HOF hyperbole and take in observations.

Nalod
USA
7/16/2019  10:57 AM
Marv wrote:

doesn't give you all the answers but offers some. what's wrong with seeing how a player shows up and what they have to offer under the circumstances. rj's transition from first 2 games to last 3 was extremely interesting and positive to see. just skip the bust or HOF hyperbole and take in observations.

Your right. I watched some. Looked awful. Turned it off. Im reacting to the chatter by fans and media. If its measuring tool for players and coaches not a thing wrong with that.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
7/16/2019  12:59 PM
Marv wrote:

yea... took him like 2-3 games to adjust from lost to triple double guy.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
7/16/2019  8:54 PM
RJ is a Force of Will type player. He just keeps putting pressure on a defense. He's got a nose for the ball on rebounds and he's only going to get better. The big improvement of course will be his jumper and FT shooting. If he can make reasonable improvements shooting then he's gonna be a STUD!!!
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
7/16/2019  9:03 PM
our backcourt is just flooded with young potential. rj, dsj, elfrid, trier, frank, dot. perfect for a rebuilding club.
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
7/17/2019  3:25 AM
Let's play the mystery player game.

Player #1:
MPG: 32.2
FG%: .427
3P%: .327
3P: 2.3
FT%: .713
RPG: 7.8
APG: 6.0
STL: 1.1
BLK: 0.3
TOV 3.4
PTS: 21.2

These are the per-game stats put up by none other than the 2018-2019 ROY, #3 overall pick Luka Doncic. It's pretty amazing what he did as a rookie - it's pretty special.

Just cherry picking some stats, but Knox had a better FT% (.717) and 3p% (.343)

Or how about these:

Player #2:
MPG: 39.5
FG%: .417
3P%: .290
3P: 0.8
FT%: .754
RPG: 5.5
APG: 5.9
STL: 1.6
BLK: 0.7
TOV 3.5
PTS: 20.9

Player #2 is none other than Lebron James.

It's interesting that James had a very solid FT% as a rookie (career .736; last season .665), but relatively poor 3pt% (career .343).

What's notable to me is that the Cavs played teenage Lebron a whopping 39.5mpg - seems a bit cruel straight out of high school.

These were 2 of the more exceptional rookie stat lines (especially for 19 year olds) in the history of the NBA. Usage is a bit of a funny thing to predict - while it's largely predicated on team depth, few players are capable of handling the load.

Barrett might be one of the rare players that might be capable of approaching these numbers.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
7/17/2019  4:38 AM
I reckon we should also accept the fact that all of the recent MVP’s (Giannis, Harden, Westbrook, Curry) took a few years to evolve into their MVP selves - none of these guys looked like superstars from the get-go - and all but Giannis were already 20+ when they started their NBA careers.
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
7/17/2019  12:47 PM
KNox is 19 - he is no where near where he will be at 23. He is a tough player to stop offensively. He only stops himself.

DSjr has potential.

RJ too. This team is loaded with good young players.

I still think Frank will be VERY good too.

My Way Too Early Take on RJ Barrett

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy