[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

My Way Too Early Take on RJ Barrett
Author Thread
Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

7/8/2019  12:51 PM
Even more reason why we signed the FA’s that we did. There is no urgency for the kid to start or pressure to lead the franchise. He is a smart hard working kid. Knicks are going to protect him and bring him up right surrounding him with the right kind of vets and asst coaches to assure his success.

Don’t know what his ceiling is, but way to early to be concerned. He is going to need to cut down on the turnovers. Learn how to plan man to man on D and improve his shooting. All things that were known before he was drafted.

AUTOADVERT
NotInMyHouse
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6433

7/8/2019  12:56 PM
NYKBocker wrote:A lot of the assessments on RJ in this thread is fair. Some are head scratching.

My take on RJs game is this...

A lot of people were comparing him to Harden which I found to be kinda lazy. Other than being left handed and being a guard, I don't see any other similarities.

RJ in the last 2 SL games showed that he doesn't have the skills yet in this level to take players off the dribble on a one-on-one situation. He doesn't have that quick twitch attribute. He also was trying to show that he can go right and I think that was a mistake. Right now, he just needs to show to go right then take it back to his strong hand and finish. Players were waiting for him to take 2 steps going right and they jump on him. Maybe a 1 step dribble to the right then floater with the right hand can help him.

He is new. I always tell my players, always use what you are good at. Sprinkle a little of what you are weak at just to keep the defender honest.

He needed to be more on the move. He was successful going to the rim when he catches the ball on the move. His troubles occur when he catches the ball an then goes on a triple threat stance. He just doesn't have that skillset at this level yet.

I like the rebounding aspect of his game. He goes for anything he can get.

Not a fan of the long 3s.

FT is fixable. He has good form. He just needs confidence.

Dribbling is a little high. Need to drive with a lean then explode.

He is going to be fine. He has a lot of attributes that is not coachable.

He does remind me of DeMar Derozan. I want to see if he can also do the spin move.

I've heard it mentioned that he really bulked up and that is why he is a bit slow right now. I mean the guy didn't suddenly go from dominating at Duke to sucking in summer league (I hope, lol.)
I really hope he turns it around. I wouldn't say I'm worried as the guy is super young and you know we used everything at our disposal before picking the guy.
Once he drops some weight and/or growing into it a bit, I think we'll see quite a bit more quickness. As for his shot, that was my worry. Though he played really well at Duke once Zion was out, due to spacing I guess.

“When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.” George R.R. Martin
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
7/8/2019  1:11 PM
Nalod wrote:RJ said he was built for this.
Most Knick fans are not.

+1

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

7/8/2019  1:18 PM
it's summer league... last year Knox looked like he was gonna be ROY based on SL. Then the regular season starts, he looks like the weakest guy to ever put on a Knicks uni (even including no reps Mike Sweetney), and if he and knicks1248 got into a fight I would have bet on 1248. SL doesn't matter at all other than introducing 19 year olds to how to be a professional. it's a glorified summer camp
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
PresIke
Member: #33
USA
7/8/2019  1:36 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/8/2019  1:38 PM
Knixkik wrote:
Most Knick fans are not.

+1

Which sect of fans though?

I notice those who can't take to hear ANY criticism of Knicks young players and go bananas once you raise a single concern and then peg you "crazy" or unfair or bias against the team or whatever ridiculous strawman argument one can manage to create.

I get we are a sensitive lot for the years of pain supporting this team, but sometimes views expressed out there from the most pom pom of our fans borders on Orwellian.

Who's deciding who's a "real Knick fan" again? RJ is going to be fine? How does anyone actually know that!? He might come good, and I HOPE he does, but this sounds a lot like Frank part 2...

LOL Knicks fans...

Forum Po Po and #33 for a reason...
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
7/8/2019  1:55 PM
that's it!! i'm quitting the knicks and rooting for the raptors starting RIGHT NOW!!!
PresIke
Member: #33
USA
7/8/2019  2:08 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/8/2019  2:10 PM
Marv wrote:that's it!! i'm quitting the knicks and rooting for the raptors starting RIGHT NOW!!!

Me too bro! Enough of this! DJ Su was right! ;)

P.S. we all should go to a game this year! Raps @ home?

Been too long! Peace.

A UK night out again...we should try to link up with the Knicks Film School folks (they seem cool)...martin?

Forum Po Po and #33 for a reason...
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

7/8/2019  2:11 PM
Marv wrote:that's it!! i'm quitting the knicks and rooting for the raptors starting RIGHT NOW!!!

Go ahead...

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Marv
7/8/2019  2:17 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:

Go ahead...

my timing's impeccable as always . . .

Marv
7/8/2019  2:20 PM
PresIke wrote:

Me too bro! Enough of this! DJ Su was right! ;)

P.S. we all should go to a game this year! Raps @ home?

Been too long! Peace.

A UK night out again...we should try to link up with the Knicks Film School folks (they seem cool)...martin?

i don't run into u at angelika any more

let's do it but NOT a raptor game. i love me some dj but he is INSUFFERABLE around raptor-knick issues

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

7/8/2019  2:21 PM
Marv wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

Go ahead...

Lol just don't come back here posting when you realize you're one of five people active on the Raptors forums.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Marv
7/8/2019  2:24 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Marv wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

Go ahead...

Lol just don't come back here posting when you realize you're one of five people active on the Raptors forums.

tell me about it. when dj was woofing during the playoffs i just kept texting back:

USA
USA
USA

ekstarks94
Member: #6104

7/8/2019  5:05 PM
Dude is playing tight....like Macri said on twitter is trying to live up to playing the RJ 3rd pick...

Iggy is just playing....no expectations whatsoever..

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/8/2019  5:19 PM
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

7/8/2019  5:39 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/8/2019  5:40 PM
PresIke wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
Most Knick fans are not.

+1

Which sect of fans though?

I notice those who can't take to hear ANY criticism of Knicks young players and go bananas once you raise a single concern and then peg you "crazy" or unfair or bias against the team or whatever ridiculous strawman argument one can manage to create.

I get we are a sensitive lot for the years of pain supporting this team, but sometimes views expressed out there from the most pom pom of our fans borders on Orwellian.

Who's deciding who's a "real Knick fan" again? RJ is going to be fine? How does anyone actually know that!? He might come good, and I HOPE he does, but this sounds a lot like Frank part 2...

LOL Knicks fans...

One thing to criticize a player's game. Its another thing to project from a couple of SL games that they wont amount to anything in this league. Not hearing that Barrett should work on a certain aspect of their game, as much as there isnt a point, because its a wasted pick. After 2 SL games. Thats what some fans have a hard time listening to.

Was criticizing Frank's lack of aggressiveness from his first NBA game. Was calling him a "system pick" not calling him a bust. Gave him 2 years before I was OK with him being traded. Some of you sound like you have reached this point with Barrett after 2 SL games. Dont sound all that patient.

Chandler
Member: #6197

7/8/2019  7:20 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/8/2019  7:20 PM
Does anyone read Martin's posts about RJ's game, and recall that famous Wendy's ad "where's the beef"?

agreed only 2 games but...

(5)(5)
HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

7/8/2019  8:08 PM
I know what this party needs......

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
ekstarks94
Member: #6104

7/8/2019  8:53 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:I know what this party needs......

Needed that. Thanks

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

7/9/2019  11:01 AM
https://www.sny.tv/knicks/news/scouts-weigh-in-on-rj-barretts-first-two-summer-league-games-with-knicks/308888966

From the front page, scouts saying in essense to take a deep breath.

TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
7/10/2019  7:17 AM
Okay, we have gotten to game 3 of the summer league. The one good thing I can say about RJ's play is that he has improved each game. He still is not playing great but you see that he is figuring things out more each game. That tells me that he is able to self-evaluate and he is paying attention to his mistakes. Both good traits for a young player.
Trust the Process
My Way Too Early Take on RJ Barrett

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy