Author Thread
CleaverGreene
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #8756

7/6/2019  12:43 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
TheGame wrote:
smackeddog wrote:Holy S***! That's a horrific trade for the Clips:

I love that trade for the Thunder- they were staring into the abyss before it, now they are set for years with all those unprotected 1sts AND SGA and Gallo will help them out this year.

After this summer the Melo trade fades in it's infamy- AD and PG traders were worse, in my opinion- I get why the Lakers and Clips did them, but they paid a bigger price than we did.

Lakers are screwed- they just have AD and ageing Lebron, and Kawhi strung them along so long they've missed out on some good role players to fill out their roster, missed out on all the other star FA's and next years FA pool is trash and they have no assets to trade.

Clips vs Lakers games should be fun. Plus this offseason has seen the death of the super team- we're back to 2 stars and role players (which I much prefer over 3 stars)- league is wide open.

Even if Leonard brings them a championship, the Clippers are still going to regret that trade. Just too many unprotected picks and they gave up that rookie pg they drafted last year.

Disagree. If a team wins a chip, which is the goal for every franchise!, in no way is it regrettable. Keep in mind this is not a one year deal for Kahwi and they still have a very good team. Gallo and Gil are good players but replaceable. I know its popular to think boasting about how many future picks you have is success but if that was the goal teams like Philly, Boston, Minny, etc are winning every year.

However, if they dont win a chip then its absolutely regrettable. It Will be either the Clips or Lakers celebrating or regretting their moves. Think its a good trade for both though. Clips are now favored to win a chip. Yesterday they were expected to maybe win a round and once again lose out to Lakers and be the little brother in LA. Good trade for OKC. They will rebuild. Probably unloading Adams and Westbrook and rebuilding after many years of trying to win a chip via KD and then Westbrook.

Leonard in Toronto for one season, and leaving after a season and a title for the Raptors, makes the loss of Leonard much more acceptable to them, but they didn't give up everything the Clippers just did to get George.

Heard on ESPN radio that Toronto might have been considering a deal to pick up George for Leonard, but Ujiri didn't want to give up Siakam, so clearly, if this is true, they weren't willing to keep Leonard if it meant doing what the Clippers did.

One article is saying the Thunder was playing Toronto an the Clippers against each other to get more for George.

https://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/thunder-gm-played-clippers-raptors-against-each-other/503406

There are three classes of men; lovers of wisdom, lovers of honor, and lovers of gain. (Plato)
AUTOADVERT
Swishfm3
Member: #392
7/6/2019  1:33 PM
Great trade for the Clippers.

Decent return for the Thunder but good luck finding a player PG3 in the draft...especially in the high 20s. This trade landed them K.Leonard AND P.George. That was a steal for them. Great job.

And those who just love draft picks, if this doesn't work out, the Clippers can always trade them and recoup some of those draft picks.

blkexec
Member: #748
7/6/2019  2:03 PM
Swishfm3 wrote:Great trade for the Clippers.

Decent return for the Thunder but good luck finding a player PG3 in the draft...especially in the high 20s. This trade landed them K.Leonard AND P.George. That was a steal for them. Great job.

And those who just love draft picks, if this doesn't work out, the Clippers can always trade them and recoup some of those draft picks.

Great points.....agree 100%

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/6/2019  3:33 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/6/2019  3:35 PM
They had CP3 and then traded him. Same with Griff. They had assets to trade. The secret sauce west did was take a team that reached its end, reconciled the moment, then began to transform. Ainge did it with pierce and Garnett.
Knicks never had the base until Melo was too far depleted.
West did not perform a miracle, he executed a plan.

Ours got derailed. KP was our home grown asset a player should have wanted to come to. Are we to really “Blame” Mills/Perry for this? Durant got hurt? It was not a given, but do we blame Mills and Perry for that?
Could we have pulled off the George trade and got. Kwahai? Maybe.
Did Jerry west do this? I’m not sure. Lawrence Frank and some other dude are the president/GM.
Let’s be real, if Mills/Perry do this deal we say “they panicked, starphuched, gave the store away.....Typical knicks doing unprotected trades, did in panic to the Nets deal!!!. You know this to be true.

Knick fans over react? Not us. Have you seen the fans reaction to Summer league game?
Summer league, we talking summer league!! Naw we don’t over react!

Nalod not giving grades for the LA “StarPhuck Wars” thing they got there. I given them credit, big brass balls credit!!

In the end its everything they traded for cap space, plus everything they paid for George.
No home grown. Neither for lakers. KP was our chip. we out in the cold or we the smart ones for a change??

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

7/6/2019  7:34 PM
Cousins might get some interest from the Clips and Lakers, both need a star on the cheap, because of the cap. And to keep him from going to the other team.
GustavBahler

7/6/2019  8:08 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Cousins might get some interest from the Clips and Lakers, both need a star on the cheap, because of the cap. And to keep him from going to the other team.

That was fast..

Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
7/7/2019  12:31 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Cousins might get some interest from the Clips and Lakers, both need a star on the cheap, because of the cap. And to keep him from going to the other team.

That was fast..

And to think he rejected a long term deal before all.

Knicks_Fan
GustavBahler

7/7/2019  6:11 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/lebron-james-anthony-davis-shake-140015486.html

LeBron and AD congratulating Jerry West for showing he still has it..

Chandler
Member: #6197

7/7/2019  6:49 PM
GustavBahler wrote:https://www.yahoo.com/sports/lebron-james-anthony-davis-shake-140015486.html

Uptown disagrees. According to him this was Kawhi not Jerry (crediting Jerry insinuates our FO was a step behind)

(5)(5)
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
7/7/2019  6:55 PM
clippers have a great defensive lineup with 2 superstar 2-way players. they should be the favorites next year. one thing to keep an eye on is the long term health of both of them. pg13 with 2 shoulder operations and a broken leg and kawhi with what might be a degenerative knee condition. giving out unprotected picks that far down the road is a bit reckless but i guess the clippers desperately want that chip and this might be their best shot.

i can only speak from the raptors pov...

since day 1, i've always felt kawhi was a one and done. never thought he was going to stay so him leaving did not surprise me at all. lawrence frank came to almost all raptor games this season and sat in the stands. clippers also tried to buy the klaw logo from nike during the season. kawhi always wanted the clippers from day 1 and that never wavered.

i think winning the chip and seeing the raptors org and masai didn't make us an automatic dismissal which is a big accomplishment in it's own right but he wasn't staying.

kawhi told masai to get pg13 and masai tried. but he realized quickly that he was being used for leverage and there was a line he wasn't going to cross to make a deal. which i like alot. if you count the first round players picked - lakers gave up 6 FRP's for AD and clippers gave up 8 for PG13. THAT IS NUTS.

me personally am still in championship euphoria. i don't think alot of folks understand how tough it is to win a ring - especially when you are behind the 8 ball in terms of a rigged nba. it's all about players forming super teams and only in certain locales. over 80% of the nba is at that disadvantage with toronto probably dead last when you see espn constantly spouting their xenophobic stuff about canada. what ujiri did was hustle the system and made an unprecedented move and got a ring out of it. this raptor team and the 11 mavs team should really be heralded alot more than they are b/c they weren't superteams.

thanks kawhi for the great year and a postseason of memories. got a ring that will last a lifetime. i never had a real connection with him b/c i always felt he was leaving so i'm not devastated. i'm only disappointed that we can't run it back and try to defend it but it is what it is.

Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
7/7/2019  7:04 PM
djsunyc wrote:clippers have a great defensive lineup with 2 superstar 2-way players. they should be the favorites next year. one thing to keep an eye on is the long term health of both of them. pg13 with 2 shoulder operations and a broken leg and kawhi with what might be a degenerative knee condition. giving out unprotected picks that far down the road is a bit reckless but i guess the clippers desperately want that chip and this might be their best shot.

i can only speak from the raptors pov...

since day 1, i've always felt kawhi was a one and done. never thought he was going to stay so him leaving did not surprise me at all. lawrence frank came to almost all raptor games this season and sat in the stands. clippers also tried to buy the klaw logo from nike during the season. kawhi always wanted the clippers from day 1 and that never wavered.

i think winning the chip and seeing the raptors org and masai didn't make us an automatic dismissal which is a big accomplishment in it's own right but he wasn't staying.

kawhi told masai to get pg13 and masai tried. but he realized quickly that he was being used for leverage and there was a line he wasn't going to cross to make a deal. which i like alot. if you count the first round players picked - lakers gave up 6 FRP's for AD and clippers gave up 8 for PG13. THAT IS NUTS.

me personally am still in championship euphoria. i don't think alot of folks understand how tough it is to win a ring - especially when you are behind the 8 ball in terms of a rigged nba. it's all about players forming super teams and only in certain locales. over 80% of the nba is at that disadvantage with toronto probably dead last when you see espn constantly spouting their xenophobic stuff about canada. what ujiri did was hustle the system and made an unprecedented move and got a ring out of it. this raptor team and the 11 mavs team should really be heralded alot more than they are b/c they weren't superteams.

thanks kawhi for the great year and a postseason of memories. got a ring that will last a lifetime. i never had a real connection with him b/c i always felt he was leaving so i'm not devastated. i'm only disappointed that we can't run it back and try to defend it but it is what it is.

this is all very moving. shut up.

GustavBahler

7/7/2019  7:06 PM
Chandler wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:https://www.yahoo.com/sports/lebron-james-anthony-davis-shake-140015486.html

Uptown disagrees. According to him this was Kawhi not Jerry (crediting Jerry insinuates our FO was a step behind)

Then so was every other FO including Ujiri. You are comparing Perry, in year 2 of a rebuild, (after decades of mismanagement) to Jerry fing West with enough resources to build a contender on the spot. We did not have that because our young talent is mostly unproven. They need time.

You keep talking about how bad mgmt is but you only seem to be interested in instant contention. Players have seen the Knicks go all in on stars with disastrous results. They want to see the Knicks build something worth going to.

Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

7/7/2019  7:17 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/7/2019  7:46 PM
Chandler wrote:

How does Kawhi going to the clips have anything to do with the Knicks? Where did I say that? Stop trying to read into my words and read my actual words. I said as much to MS in my reply to him. Everytime a move is made by another team (like Iggy going to the Griz) disgruntled fans throw a tantrum and are ready to fire our front office because they didn't make that particular move. There are 29 other teams trying to improve their teams too, we can't be involved in every single trade. It dont work that way.

Like I said before, the Logos track record speaks for itself, perhaps the greatest GM in the history of the NBA. But in this particular case, there is no deal to be made if Kawhi didn't get the whole process started and put the battery in George's back. West gets credit because he had to put the deal together but lets not fool ourselves; the players run this league. When have we ever saw one player tell another player who still has 4 years left on his deal to tell the front office to trade you, not now, but right now, only to the Clippers?

It's funny how when Love goes the Cavs, and AD goes to the Lakers, Lebron or should I say LeGM gets all the credit or blame depending on how you look at it. But when Kawhi does the same thing LeBron does, he can't get the credit because of West reputation. Also, nobody is going to bash Kawhi because he's quiet and ain't as polarizing as Lebron. But he essentially did the same thing but on another level

GustavBahler

7/7/2019  7:48 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/7/2019  7:49 PM
Uptown wrote:
Chandler wrote:

How does Kawhi going to the clips have anything to do with the Knicks? Where did I say that? Stop trying to read into my words and read my actual words. I said as much to MS in my reply to him. Everytime a move is made by another team (like Iggy going to the Griz) disgruntled fans throw a tantrum and are ready to fire our front office because they didn't make that particular move. There are 29 other teams trying to improve their teams too, we can't be involved in every single trade. It dont work that way.

Like I said before, the Logos track record speaks for itself, perhaps the greatest GM in the history of the NBA. But in this particular case, there is no deal to be made if Kawhi didn't get the whole process started and put the battery in George's back. West gets credit because he had to put the deal together but lets not fool ourselves; the players run this league. When have we ever saw one player tell another player who still has 4 years left on his deal to tell the front office to trade you, not now, but right now, only to the Clippers?

It's funny how when Love goes the Cavs, and AD goes to the Lakers, Lebron or should I say LeGM gets all the credit or blame depending on how you look at it. But when Kawhi does the same thing LeBron does, he can't get the credit because of West reputation.

Absolutely. West has been building multiple championship teams for around 40 years. Was a players league when the Warriors won a title. Of course players have a say. so do the execs who build the teams that win championships. LeBron won one title as defacto GM, how many titles has West won as an exec or influential advisor? Im sure West and his rep was a factor in choosing the Clips over the Lakers. West got the ball rolling that led to George being signed.

LeBron was always going back to Cleveland after he left Miami. Its easier to be GM when you already have the best player on the planet, you.

smackeddog
Member: #883
7/8/2019  4:48 AM
I do think the league should consider tightening the time scale teams can trade future first round picks- no more than 2 first rounders over 4 years, otherwise it's unfair for future fans.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/8/2019  10:40 AM
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

7/8/2019  10:45 AM
CrushAlot wrote:

Man, Grant was one of the last pieces left that I wanted in that fire sale. Good move for both teams.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
7/8/2019  12:18 PM
Just curious, do folks think the Clippers got duped into giving up too many draft picks for the 29yo PG13?

All-nba quality 2-way player in his prime.

Presuming the Thunder felt that they couldn’t get a quality 3rd player via fa, this was probably a good move for the franchise’s future. Though you’d expect all those picks to be mid-first round at worst.

I think SGA is a star in the making, but I think he does a lot do the same things as Westbrook and Schroeder - though hypothetically he’s sized like a SG.

Gallo is coming off his best season yet.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

7/8/2019  12:52 PM
technomaster wrote:Just curious, do folks think the Clippers got duped into giving up too many draft picks for the 29yo PG13?

Presuming the Thunder felt that they couldn’t get a quality 3rd player via fa, this was probably a good move for the franchise’s future. Though you’d expect all those picks to be mid-first round at worst.

I think SGA is a star in the making, but I think he does a lot do the same things as Westbrook and Schroeder - though hypothetically he’s sized like a SG.

OKC played them. They tried to play Ujiri, but he wasn't that desperate. Clippers saw this as a chance to get one of, if not the best, players in the league. Clippers see this trade as getting Kawhi and George. It's not that bad a haul if you look at it from that perspective, I guess. It's still a risky gamble.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/8/2019  2:15 PM
technomaster wrote:Just curious, do folks think the Clippers got duped into giving up too many draft picks for the 29yo PG13?

The trade was really Kawhi-PG for that booty grab. I think you go that far into the rabbit hole and fear losing kawhi to the Lakers after trading Griffin away you got a problem. If the owner wants this, you just do the best you can. If Lawrence Frank is talking Ballmer into it and it don't work then its his head.

I suppose it all depends on how it all comes together. I know that's so cliché but one can argue either way. Toronto might have just gotten the best out of Kawhi in that one year. Thin line between head case and "Special". Kawhi has walked this line before. For two years he was "difficult" to temporary "Goat Status". Two time series MVP.....Kawhi punched his ticket to HOF if he plays three more years. Does not even have to get to finals again. Just has to beat the lakers.

Sick..Leonard and Paul George to the Clippers

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy