[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Leon Smith
Author Thread
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
1/12/2002  11:06 PM
Many articles are saying teams are interested in this guy and New York is one of those teams. He's 6-10 and can play both the 4 and the 5. He's putting up 18 points and 15 boards in the CBA so his numbers are really good. He's a headcase, but could do a lot of good if he keeps his focus on basketball. Our team has been known to be able to contain guys like that so this might be a good situation for him. I think it would be worth a shot. Thoughts?

Link: http://www.post-trib.com/cgi-bin/pto-story/sports/z1/01-12-02_z1_spor_9.html
AUTOADVERT
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
1/13/2002  5:41 AM
He's putting up 18 points and 15 boards in the CBA so his numbers are really good.

I'm all up for him, he even had a 30 rebound game. The guy is very talented and if it weren't for his troubled pasy he would have been picked up already as I have mentioned before. Just read this background story and you know he didn't catch many breaks in life.

I have posted some links to Leon here before but here's the background link..

http://www.thenewrepublic.com/021400/coverstory021400.html
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/13/2002  12:51 PM
With the current state of the Knicks - possibly not making the playoffs - I do not understand why they would not try to pick up a player like Leon or Omar Cook. Do they really need Larry Robinson on IR? Why not risk signing these guys to low-cost 1 year deals and see what happens? It's not like the current Knicks could get worse.

PS.: And with Travis Knight going on the IR, this seems an apporpriate time to sign a tall player.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Knixkik
USA
1/13/2002  12:54 PM
From what i hear Atlanta has a 10-day contract on the table for Smith, but he wants more of a perminate contract. I think it would be worth offering him a contract for the remainder of the season if he can bring that size and toughness to the Knicks.
Knixkik
USA
1/13/2002  3:43 PM
Knicks Pursue CBA Star

January 13, 2002

The Knicks are one of four NBA teams in serious pursuit of troubled former first-round draft pick Leon Smith, a 6-10, 250-pound center who plays for the Gary (Ind.) Steelheads and is scoring 18.0 points per game and leading the CBA in rebounding with 15.3 per game.

Atlanta has offered Smith a 10-day contract, but he is seeking a more lucrative deal, according to attorney Jewell Harris Jr., whose family owns the CBA franchise. Besides the Hawks, Harris said the most serious bidders appear to be the Knicks, Portland and Orlando. Knicks pro personnel director Jay Hillock attended a game Thursday in which Smith had 24 points and 24 rebounds.

Smith was the last pick in the first round of the 1999 draft by San Antonio, which immediately traded the Chicago high school star to Dallas. Following some behavioral problems, including a suicide attempt, Smith was suspended and later waived that season without ever playing in the NBA.

The Knicks, who could use a low-post player, could offer him a minimum-salary contract for the rest of the season or even their $1-million salary-cap exception.

"I definitely have to say Leon has matured," Harris said yesterday. "He's 21 years old now, and he's adjusted well here. I think someone is going to make a move for him soon. This is the best guy in the CBA."

I think we need to take a chance on him because he definetly sounds for real.
scylla
Member: #97
1/13/2002  4:38 PM
To say that Leon Smith is a headcase is a drastic understatement. The poor kid's psychotic, in the most literal sense of the word. If he has such a hard time controlling himself in Quad City, New York could possibly be the worst place in the world for him. We have no system for bringing along talented, mature young players like Lavor Postell and Michael Wright--what would we do with someone like Leon Smith? If he can't hack it in Dallas, where he had something like three assistant coaches to focus on him alone, he has no business in NY.
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
1/13/2002  5:01 PM
Smith didn't have three assitants to guide him in Dallas, instead they told him they thought he was very talented but should mature in the CBA or overseas. This was one of the first blows to young Leon Smith, since you won't follow the link I'll post the whole story here,

besides, we should give him AND kahlid el-amin a guaranteed contract for at least this year, we have nothing to lose and need the hungry guys of the bench who have all to loose.
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
1/13/2002  5:02 PM
Ashleigh Hunter told me this story first. He told it in one mad headlong rush. And I'll try to tell it, as best I can, the way Hunter did. Because, unlike all the others, Hunter was there from the start, when Leon Smith was still just a ward of the state, an orphan. He was there when Smith dunked the ball so hard the lights in the gym flickered, and when the street agents showed up in their crocodile shoes, offering the Big Fella anything he wanted. He was there when the NBA drafted Smith right out of high school, making him a millionaire at 18. And, most importantly, Hunter was there the night it all came crashing down, when the Legend showed up at his door, blood dripping from his arms like from a goddamn faucet, screaming, "LET'S GO, ASH. I GOTTA GO. I GOTTA GO."
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
Hunter had never met Leon Smith, never even seen him, until that day they held the eighth-grade championship at South Shore High. If you're not from Chicago, it's hard to imagine how big the city tournaments really are. But there even the eighth-grade tournament is treated like the NCAA finals. High school coaches travel from all over the state just to evaluate twelve-year-olds. One coach offered an eighth grader's father a full-time job in exchange for his son's services; another gave students fake addresses so they'd be eligible to play in his district. "My ability to lure eleven- and twelve-year-old kids has a major part to do with my success as an adult," Steve Pappas, from Gordon Tech, told the Chicago Tribune. "If I don't do it, I'm gonna get crushed."
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
But for Hunter, who was already in high school, it was still only an eighth-grade game, and he stood in the back, ready to split, when he suddenly saw him, this big goofy guy with shorts that were too short. At six foot five, he towered over the other twelve-year-olds, swatting away their shots, one after the other. And that's when the legend of Leon Smith began.

A few days later, with the game still fresh in his mind, Hunter left his home and went next door to Sullivan House, a place for abandoned teenagers on the South Side, where he often hung out after school, playing pool in the basement. As he approached the front door, he heard the sound of someone dribbling and walked around the building, down a narrow driveway that opened onto a small court with a single bent rim. There was Smith, his shirt off. Rows of muscles climbed his stomach like a ladder.
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
1/13/2002  5:03 PM
Hunter stared at him. "What's up?" he said.

Smith didn't say much, and Hunter didn't know whether he was mean or aggressive or just cold. "Didn't you play in the championship game?" Hunter said, trying again.

This time Smith said in his deep voice, "I played," and within a few minutes they started shooting--and that was all they did that summer, play ball.

Slowly, uneasily, Smith told Hunter bits and pieces of his story: how his father abandoned him and his seven siblings when Smith could barely walk; how, after his father was gone, his mother used to vanish for long periods, doing what, no one knew; how he'd wander the streets, searching for food and sleeping on park benches; how, when the police brought him to the station one day, he thought it was so nice he didn't want to leave; and how the Department of Children and Family Services finally put the brothers in one home and the sisters in another, so that from the age of five all Leon Smith had was his younger brother, Jerry.

knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
They lived in Lydia Home, an old orphanage on the North Side. Norwegian missionaries had founded it at the turn of the century, and it had a gym on the second floor, where Leon shot free throws for hours. There were 40 other kids, and he and Jerry shared a tiny room with a bunk bed. On the wall it said in big, bold letters: TRUST IN THE LORD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND HE WILL DIRECT YOUR PATH. The place was run by a Caucasian woman named Doris Bauer who gave them used coats and ties for church on Sundays and often spoke about Jesus Christ.

Once, when Smith and his brother were playing outside, a strange woman showed up and started watching them. "Who's that?" Jerry asked.

"I don't know," Smith said.

The woman stepped closer. "Don't you know me, boy? I'm your mama."
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
They ran up and hugged her, even though they hadn't seen her for four years, maybe more. Then they went back to playing, and when they looked up again she had vanished.

Several years later she tried to get them both back, saying her demons were gone. But Smith and his brother told the judge they had already found a stable home and a mother of sorts in Mrs. Bauer. The judge agreed. But, not long after that, Smith turned 13, which made him too old for Lydia Home. And so Mrs. Bauer, one of the only people he ever trusted, said she had no choice but to kick him out. Smith pretended he didn't care. "I want to go," he kept saying. But he kept running away from his new orphanage to Lydia Home, where he would sneak into Jerry's room, and the state shuttled him from one shelter to the next until he finally ended up at Sullivan House.
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
1/13/2002  5:04 PM
Smith usually kept these stories to himself. He was the quietest big man you ever saw. After all those years of being kicked around in the system, said Bill Green, the head of Sullivan House, Smith couldn't trust anyone. But for some reason he took to Hunter, maybe because he was an athlete or maybe because he didn't ask too many questions. Every day they'd go to the 63rd Street Beach Park and make up scenarios, pretending they were in the NBA finals. "I could get him so pumped up," Hunter remembers. "I'd say, `We're in front of the crowd at the United Center. Everyone's watching on TV. There's only five seconds left on the clock ... four ... three....'"
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands

High school talent scouts started coming from all over to watch Smith. They sat on the hoods of their cars and studied his arms and legs, then his facial hair, to see if he was still growing, and they looked, unsuccessfully, for his parents, hoping to see the logical endpoint of his gene pool. He could have gone to any school in the city but eventually chose Mt. Carmel High School, because it was known for getting its students into the best universities, places like Illinois and DePaul. But after a few weeks Smith emptied his locker and never came back. He transferred to Martin Luther King High School, where Coach Sonny Cox ruled over the public high school basketball leagues the way the Daleys ruled over the city.
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
Since taking over at King in the early '80s, the former lead saxophonist of Sonny Cox and the Three Souls had reached the Elite Eight five times and won three state championships. But he was constantly accused of corruption. Other coaches claimed, among other things, that he drove from court to court in his Mercedes and mink coat, recruiting their best players with sneakers from Nike. It got so bad that at one point several coaches boycotted games against King. "If they don't want to coach," Cox said at the time, "they should retire."
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
1/13/2002  5:05 PM
So when Smith withdrew from Carmel, everyone assumed Cox was behind it. Carmel's coach immediately filed a complaint with the Illinois High School Association, saying Cox had illegally poached his franchise player. Smith and Cox denied any wrongdoing, and in the end nothing happened. But Ormon O'Quinn, a former King assistant known as Coach Q, says he got a call from "a friend" who told him, "Meet me at McDonald's and I'll have the kid there." Q maintains he didn't technically "recruit" Smith, but he adds proudly, "Everyone knows I'm the one who brought Leon to King."
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
Until then, Smith had played mostly pickup games at the Y, where the kids were so much smaller that he didn't have to work. But at King he was up against much tougher players. During practice, Cox was always screaming at him to do this or that, always pushing him to exert more energy. Finally, after only two or three weeks at King, Smith told Mr. Green he wanted to transfer to another school. But Mr. Green said he had already left one school and had to finish the year. And so Smith stayed, mostly as a role player, rebounding and blocking shots.

knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
He had grown so much that past summer that he could drive a car from the backseat. Yet the bigger he got, the more withdrawn he became. Sometimes when Mrs. Bauer came by Sullivan House to take him to visit Jerry he would wait outside, afraid the other kids might judge him, a black kid riding with a white woman. He was so scared of his classmates, many of whom teased him because of his size, that he refused to eat in the cafeteria and mostly stayed in the coaches' offices, talking to Coach Q, who would tell Smith things like, "You don't have to worry. God only made six-ten and seven-footers on Sundays and then only on special occasions." Then one day he told Smith, "You're gonna be the first kid ever to go straight from King to the pros." Smith looked at him like he was crazy. But afterward Smith told Hunter he'd only play with an official NBA ball--a 100 percent leather one inscribed with the commissioner's name--because he had to get used to it.

knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
1/13/2002  5:06 PM
By Smith's sophomore year you could see why so many coaches had wanted him so badly. During one game against Thornton, he shut down the majestic Melvin Ely, scoring 15 points and pulling down more than 10 rebounds. Afterward he told Hunter that Ely was passing the torch to him just as Kevin Garnett, Farragut's legendary center, had passed the torch to Ely. "That's how it is in the public leagues of Chicago," he said, "the big man's always got to pass the torch on down." Soon he started eating with his fellow players in the cafeteria and looking reporters in the eye, answering their questions, "Yes, sir. No, sir." He wrote rap songs, which he sang with the other guys. By his junior year he was totally free on the court, totally uninhibited. He started telling the other guys to throw him the ball. "Give it to me when I'm in the post," he'd say. "Don't ignore me. I'm down here getting rebounds and busting my butt. So give me the rock. GIVE ME THE ROCK." And, when they did, they almost always won.
Leon Smith

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy