Youth Movement Year 2 starts here!
Author Thread
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
7/2/2019  11:02 PM

This is exciting!

I know many here want to pe party poopers and say we have been rebuilding forever, but instead we have been sucking forever and trying to avoid reality. Well, reality is on its second year:

This is rebuilding!

Young players with lots of potential working hard to be the stars of the city instead of having to rely on a free agent savior. The path is long and many losses will be on the way, but if it takes that to make this talented group of players earn the respect of the league and the love of the city, bring it!

Grow from within! That the next can’t-miss stars we sign are this youngsters to their second contract!

This is rebuilding through the draft and youth! Embrace it!

Knicks_Fan
AUTOADVERT
Knicksfan
USA
7/2/2019  11:13 PM
Knicks_Fan
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

7/2/2019  11:21 PM
Great to see the recent picks practicing, feels like we've been talking about this forever. We can now check out the returning players progress, what our rooks bring to the table.

These clips show a lot of physical play. Good way to set the tone from day one. This is why Im also enthusiastic. The mission this season is to win games and develop players. Nice change of pace.

StarksEwing1
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4451

7/3/2019  8:06 AM
GustavBahler wrote:Great to see the recent picks practicing, feels like we've been talking about this forever. We can now check out the returning players progress, what our rooks bring to the table.

These clips show a lot of physical play. Good way to set the tone from day one. This is why Im also enthusiastic. The mission this season is to win games and develop players. Nice change of pace.

Agreed Im pumped
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
7/3/2019  8:13 AM
This is actual yr 3, Frank was drafted 2 yrs ago when THJ was signed, willy was coming into his 2nd yr, and Mills took over..
ES
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/3/2019  8:41 AM
knicks1248 wrote:This is actual yr 3, Frank was drafted 2 yrs ago when THJ was signed, willy was coming into his 2nd yr, and Mills took over..

Willy get signed yet?
I would expect Mavs to hold a spot for him. Just to keep KP happy.

newyorknewyork
Member: #541
7/3/2019  9:12 AM
knicks1248 wrote:This is actual yr 3, Frank was drafted 2 yrs ago when THJ was signed, willy was coming into his 2nd yr, and Mills took over..

Over these 2-3 years have added Frank, Dotson, Knox, Robinson, Trier, Smith, Barrett, Randle, Portis. Will have 5 picks over the next 7 yrs. Will have 50mil in cap again just next offseason. Some players will stick, some players will be moved. A core will be formed, pieces will be added and upgraded steadily. With flexibility to make a splash when one presents itself.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
blkexec
Member: #748
7/3/2019  9:15 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:

Over these 2-3 years have added Frank, Dotson, Knox, Robinson, Trier, Smith, Barrett, Randle, Portis. Will have 5 picks over the next 7 yrs. Will have 50mil in cap again just next offseason. Some players will stick, some players will be moved. A core will be formed, pieces will be added and upgraded steadily. With flexibility to make a splash when one presents itself.

BOOM.....MIC DROP

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
blkexec
Member: #748
7/3/2019  9:22 AM
Knick fans (including me) aren't used to a youth movement. But so far, I like how this feels. Still not happy how we treated KP. But at the same time, I'm not sure what we could've done differently....Unless not hiring Phil Jackson....but without Phil, there's no KP.

Love the new knicks we have...and the youth. Even Frank is a good fit....Hope he finds his niche soon.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
smackeddog
Member: #883
7/3/2019  11:15 AM

Ah yes, you don’t believe in rebuilding via the draft- how did free agency work out for you?

GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
7/3/2019  11:47 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:

Reality -

NY is doing it the right way. Facts are that the core is not ready for a KD/KI infusion. In a year or two they will be and the moves needed will be available and be made!

knicks1248
7/3/2019  11:49 AM
smackeddog wrote:

Ah yes, you don’t believe in rebuilding via the draft- how did free agency work out for you?

I just responded to you on this in another thread, but really, thats the fckng scary part

ES
knicks1248
7/3/2019  11:54 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:

and every season we are signing or drafting the same position because the one we had awas not cutting it..

we have been trying to find a replacement for frank since he got here, and RJ & trier play the same position as dotson..

ES
newyorknewyork
7/3/2019  12:34 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

and every season we are signing or drafting the same position because the one we had awas not cutting it..

we have been trying to find a replacement for frank since he got here, and RJ & trier play the same position as dotson..

Bringing in young talent looking for gems and low risk guys to who have a shot at putting it together is the normal process of a team that's rebuilding. RJ Barrett was the best talent available for our pick who also wanted to be here. They didn't draft him specifically because they felt they needed to replace Dotson and Trier who were 2nd round draft pick and an UDFA who have out performed the value given to get them. The superior talent will win out, that's the business. Sad I even have to explain that.

GSW had Monta Ellis as one of their better players. They then proceeded to draft Curry and Klay then eventually traded Ellis for Bogut. They had Biedrins when they traded for Bogut who they packaged his expiring with future draft picks for Iggy in a 4 team deal.

Knicks will keep looking for young upgrades that make sense any way they can get it with the flexibility they have until a core is formed and they have enough talent in place to compete.

Can't depend on the shortcuts. Have to depend on the grind.

StarksEwing1

7/3/2019  12:43 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

Bringing in young talent looking for gems and low risk guys to who have a shot at putting it together is the normal process of a team that's rebuilding. RJ Barrett was the best talent available for our pick who also wanted to be here. They didn't draft him specifically because they felt they needed to replace Dotson and Trier who were 2nd round draft pick and an UDFA who have out performed the value given to get them. The superior talent will win out, that's the business. Sad I even have to explain that.

GSW had Monta Ellis as one of their better players. They then proceeded to draft Curry and Klay then eventually traded Ellis for Bogut. They had Biedrins when they traded for Bogut who they packaged his expiring with future draft picks for Iggy in a 4 team deal.

Knicks will keep looking for young upgrades that make sense any way they can get it with the flexibility they have until a core is formed and they have enough talent in place to compete.

He doesn't believe in drafting or youth unless we trade them for veterans lol. He rather go back to the previous regimes who wouldjust throw way every asset for bloated contracts who did nothing. I know some bring up the 50 win season which was fun BUT lets be honest that team was very old and dead by the end of the regular season. We nearly blew a 3-0 series leads against a old and injury depleted Boston them then Indiana kicked our ass. We are finally doing things the right way. We are keeping our assets, developing our kids, bringing in some solid pieces on short etrm deal who will help but also we wont be stuck with 3-4 years down the road.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/3/2019  1:53 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

So who was your draft choice? Definitively. Not the "I wanted to move down". If you want to say that, then state who you would have taken specifically and was on the board at the moment you had the pick.
Don't be lazy.
WE got frank, who are you on record as wanting? Not "I would have taken Monk and Mitchell". Which one and prove it. Your cred is think with folks around here.

knicks1248
7/3/2019  2:00 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

He doesn't believe in drafting or youth unless we trade them for veterans lol. He rather go back to the previous regimes who wouldjust throw way every asset for bloated contracts who did nothing. I know some bring up the 50 win season which was fun BUT lets be honest that team was very old and dead by the end of the regular season. We nearly blew a 3-0 series leads against a old and injury depleted Boston them then Indiana kicked our ass. We are finally doing things the right way. We are keeping our assets, developing our kids, bringing in some solid pieces on short etrm deal who will help but also we wont be stuck with 3-4 years down the road.

You keep saying that to make what kind of a point?

I never ever ever said that, so let me make this clear for the very last time..You can't solely build through the draft, you can't only rely on youth to change your culture..

That will give you 17 wins, disgruntled players, and constant change...are you paying attn or are you in denial

You hope to build something like san an or GSW, the difference is, san had 1 lottery pick(duncan) in the last 20+ yrs, and the GSW had 2, and they didn't need to wait 8 yrs after to win it.

we have had 4 lottery pick in 5 yrs and are no closer to a championship then we were without them..lol..after that sinks in..take a look at the last 10 NBA championships and tell me how many of the key players on those roster were drafted by that team..

ES
StarksEwing1

7/3/2019  2:35 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/3/2019  2:36 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

I never ever ever said that, so let me make this clear for the very last time..You can't solely build through the draft, you can't only rely on youth to change your culture..

That will give you 17 wins, disgruntled players, and constant change...are you paying attn or are you in denial

You hope to build something like san an or GSW, the difference is, san had 1 lottery pick(duncan) in the last 20+ yrs, and the GSW had 2, and they didn't need to wait 8 yrs after to win it.

we have had 4 lottery pick in 5 yrs and are no closer to a championship then we were without them..lol..after that sinks in..take a look at the last 10 NBA championships and tell me how many of the key players on those roster were drafted by that team..

First off I never said you have to build a team ONLY through the draft BUT in our situation yes we need to build the core mainly from the draft then add pieces as we go. I mean the only reason the Lakers made the Anthony Davis trade was because of LeBron. If that backfires or Davis cant stay health or leaves they are totally screwed. They gave up basically their whole future for the next 7 years. It would of been even worse for us. We have been down that road before and its the main reason why we had to rebuild. I wanted no part of Durant once he tore his achilles because that is the worst injury you can get. You may not like the plan we have but it does leave us with flexibility so when we do get a big free agent he is coming onto a young team who si on the way up. Golden state built primarily through the draft. San Antonio also built through the draft but they were able to find a lot of 2nd round or late 1st round gems. Cant just say "screw it" and start making panic moves like we did from 2001-17 because they dug us in a deep hole
newyorknewyork
7/3/2019  2:45 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

You speak in broad terms, and in a vacuum. You have to speak towards the Knicks specific situation.

Our franchise player tore his ACL. Knicks look at the coming season differently if KP was healthy playing at his all star form. Knicks tanked hoping to secure a generatonal talent in Zion with KP out for the season going in. Because generational talents are the ones winning the championships. With KP out, was the best way to attempt to land another generational guy to pair with him. Knicks adapted to the situation knowing that KP was gonna be out for the season. Knicks then again adapted once KP decided he wanted to be traded.

Knicks also were looking to preserve cap before they had to pay KP an extention so they can put some high end talent together with him. So they were limited in what they could do the season before in terms of adding salaries.

Knicks have collected enough prospects to fall back on in Smith, Barrett, Knox, Mitch, Trier, Dotson, Frank that they can make moves without sacrificing the future. They have enough cap flexibility to make moves to improve the roster if anything presents itself. They have enough future first to make moves without sacrificing the future.

Knicks have put themselves in position to be aggressive when something becomes available. They have adapted to the circumstances of their specific situation. And when they are able to add these pieces it will be due to the ground work they built which you have been complaining about all this time.

Just remember
Step one: They built through the draft
Step two: They added FA like 21-8-4 Randle
Step three: They use some of the assets they collected to package for a priemer talent

Knicksfan
USA
7/4/2019  7:03 AM

Knicks_Fan
Youth Movement Year 2 starts here!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy