[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Expectations for Next Season

Author Poll
Knicksfan
Member: #691
USA
We all know the story by now: Durant and Kyrie are in Brooklyn. Horford is in Philly. Kemba is in Boston. Kawhi could remain in Toronto or more probably bolt to one of the LA teams. The Atlantic division is tough. The East? Not so much.

We signed Randle, Portis, Bullock, Gibson, Ellington and Payton. Not the bounty we expected, but a clear sign that tanking isn't an option anymore. Is it?

Today, how do you see our season playing out? How many wins do we get?

0-17 wins: Unintentional tank with no progress on youth and Fiz sucks as a coach.
18-29 wins: Slow progress on key young pieces, but we are back at the lottery.
30-37 wins: Marked improvement, future sure is bright but we come up short on playoffs.
38-42 wins: Unexpected playoff run has the city buzzing and fans dreaming of bigger 2021.
43-54 wins: Best case scenario 1 thru 15 as a dream season shocks the world.
55-73 wins: I'm loving this alternate universe with a healthy KD and Kawhi owning NY.
74-82 wins: I just traded Frank for Giannis in 2K! Who needs the real NBA?
View Results

Author Thread
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

7/3/2019  6:35 PM
They had a discussion on "Wake up" about wether or not the Knicks will make the playoffs. While no one was enthusiastically predicting that it will happen. Some like Rose left the door open. Barrett would have to be the real deal. Also pointed out the depth now with vets. They pointed out that last season was about losing as opposed to next season.

Not saying its likely, but if we dont get bit too hard by the injury bug. It doesnt end up being like the 2010 season where most of the vets we got retired during or after the season was over. The team has gelled by the All-Star break, we might at least be able to make a credible run.

Even if we just missed the playoffs, that still would be a step in the right direction. Some fans believe the Knicks can skip steps and build a contender. Go from cellar dwellar to champs in one big leap. Rarely works out that way. Years of prep work to take advantage of an opportunity is usually required.

AUTOADVERT
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
7/3/2019  7:19 PM
Panos wrote:
martin wrote:
Panos wrote:We have *1* player that could start on a playoff team, in Randle. The rest are role players or not there yet. Still scratching my head over Taj and Ellington signings. 25 wins. And that could be over-optimistic.
Pretty sure Taj is there to help out Randle and Robinson with D, on the court and in the lockerroom.

Don't know enough about Ellington but he would be an additional shooter.

I'm scratching my head over the price tag.
The price tag was to get ourselves on the mandatory team salary by the nba. The price of a 2 year contract was that for these young vets.
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
7/3/2019  7:34 PM
GustavBahler wrote:They had a discussion on "Wake up" about wether or not the Knicks will make the playoffs. While no one was enthusiastically predicting that it will happen. Some like Rose left the door open. Barrett would have to be the real deal. Also pointed out the depth now with vets. They pointed out that last season was about losing as opposed to next season.

Not saying its likely, but if we dont get bit too hard by the injury bug. It doesnt end up being like the 2010 season where most of the vets we got retired during or after the season was over. The team has gelled by the All-Star break, we might at least be able to make a credible run.

Even if we just missed the playoffs, that still would be a step in the right direction. Some fans believe the Knicks can skip steps and build a contender. Go from cellar dwellar to champs in one big leap. Rarely works out that way. Years of prep work to take advantage of an opportunity is usually required.

The pieces are there and the East isn’t a juggernaut. It all depends on Fiz now. Can he make this group of players become a team and actually give them structured plays to maximize their talent?

Let’s hope so

Knicks_Fan
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
7/3/2019  8:04 PM
NYKBocker wrote:
Panos wrote:
martin wrote:
Panos wrote:We have *1* player that could start on a playoff team, in Randle. The rest are role players or not there yet. Still scratching my head over Taj and Ellington signings. 25 wins. And that could be over-optimistic.
Pretty sure Taj is there to help out Randle and Robinson with D, on the court and in the lockerroom.

The price tag was to get ourselves on the mandatory team salary by the nba. The price of a 2 year contract was that for these young vets.

That's not an excuse. You still need to spend your money wisely in the NBA to be successful.
How ridiculous to say that they were in this great spot with all that available salary space, and then turn around and say the reason they gave an inflated contract was to hit the salary minimum. Because no one actually worth $10M would actually want to sign here?
If that's the case, the Knicks are more Fucked than i previously understood.

CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
7/3/2019  8:07 PM
Panos wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
Panos wrote:
martin wrote:

That's not an excuse. You still need to spend your money wisely in the NBA to be successful.
How ridiculous to say that they were in this great spot with all that available salary space, and then turn around and say the reason they gave an inflated contract was to hit the salary minimum. Because no one actually worth $10M would actually want to sign here?

The price tag was higher because the second year for every deal except for Randle is a team option.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
7/3/2019  8:24 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Panos wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
Panos wrote:
martin wrote:

The price tag was higher because the second year for every deal except for Randle is a team option.

Blah blah blah. However you want to cut it, he's not worth $10M of salary. If the price for a player actually worth $10M was not to have a team option, then so be it.

arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
7/3/2019  11:44 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/3/2019  11:45 PM
Panos wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
Panos wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
Panos wrote:
martin wrote:

Blah blah blah. However you want to cut it, he's not worth $10M of salary. If the price for a player actually worth $10M was not to have a team option, then so be it.

You have problems with math.
We owe him just 10M.
If you get him on 2 years 6 mils with player option we would owe him 12M.
And we losing flexibility.
So 10M 2 years with team options is smarter and chipper...

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
Expectations for Next Season

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy