[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Expectations for Next Season

Author Poll
Knicksfan
Member: #691
USA
We all know the story by now: Durant and Kyrie are in Brooklyn. Horford is in Philly. Kemba is in Boston. Kawhi could remain in Toronto or more probably bolt to one of the LA teams. The Atlantic division is tough. The East? Not so much.

We signed Randle, Portis, Bullock, Gibson, Ellington and Payton. Not the bounty we expected, but a clear sign that tanking isn't an option anymore. Is it?

Today, how do you see our season playing out? How many wins do we get?

0-17 wins: Unintentional tank with no progress on youth and Fiz sucks as a coach.
18-29 wins: Slow progress on key young pieces, but we are back at the lottery.
30-37 wins: Marked improvement, future sure is bright but we come up short on playoffs.
38-42 wins: Unexpected playoff run has the city buzzing and fans dreaming of bigger 2021.
43-54 wins: Best case scenario 1 thru 15 as a dream season shocks the world.
55-73 wins: I'm loving this alternate universe with a healthy KD and Kawhi owning NY.
74-82 wins: I just traded Frank for Giannis in 2K! Who needs the real NBA?
View Results

Author Thread
Chandler
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6197

7/2/2019  11:31 AM
We have a worse roster than NOLA last year (which won 33 games) but are in a weaker division so I think we're probably in the high 20s, tail end of the lottery
(5)(5)
AUTOADVERT
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
USA
7/2/2019  11:35 AM
Chandler wrote:We have a worse roster than NOLA last year (which won 33 games) but are in a weaker division so I think we're probably in the high 20s, tail end of the lottery

Weaker division? Maybe weaker conference, but if Kawhi stays in Toronto, our division may be the toughest with Philly, Brooklyn and Boston improving.

Knicks_Fan
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
7/2/2019  11:35 AM
fishmike wrote:
Vmart wrote:Lottery.

insightful as always

I’m being positive here.

Chandler
Member: #6197

7/2/2019  11:39 AM
Knicksfan wrote:
Chandler wrote:We have a worse roster than NOLA last year (which won 33 games) but are in a weaker division so I think we're probably in the high 20s, tail end of the lottery

Weaker division? Maybe weaker conference, but if Kawhi stays in Toronto, our division may be the toughest with Philly, Brooklyn and Boston improving.

You may be right

I'm not so sure about Brooklyn this year; I think that situation is very iffy

also Boston will be weaker. they lost Horford, Kyrie (who is a nut but also at times carried their offense), and Rozier (who was great depth). That's going to hurt.

I think Philly has improved for sure

(5)(5)
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
USA
7/2/2019  11:43 AM
Chandler wrote:
Knicksfan wrote:

You may be right

I'm not so sure about Brooklyn this year; I think that situation is very iffy

also Boston will be weaker. they lost Horford, Kyrie (who is a nut but also at times carried their offense), and Rozier (who was great depth). That's going to hurt.

I think Philly has improved for sure

True

I'm not sold on Brooklyn without KD yet and if Kyrie implodes like he did in Boston, they could actually go down compared to last season.

Boston could benefit from addition-by-subtraction with Kyrie gone and Kemba in place, although Walker isn't that much of a distributor like Irving. Yeah, they will hurt compared to last season.

Toronto is the wild card. Philly will be tough.

Knicks_Fan
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

7/2/2019  12:06 PM
fishmike wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
fishmike wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
fishmike wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:

+1

we're essentially a Scott Layden team right now

We are? We signed or traded for role players like Spoon, Jared Jefferies, Isley, Shandon Anderson to 4-5 year deals? We traded picks for washed up or injured stars?

No. We are the exact opposite of a Layden team. But dont logic or truth stop the parade. March on.

whatever dude - I didn't realize Wayne Ellington And Reggie Bullock and Taj Gibson were going to be anything more than role players. Yeah, we're younger and more athletic than a Layden squad. But I mean you sound like you got your head in the sand bro. You should take a vacation because someone says something you don't like and you go into aneurysm mode

na... just replying to silly comments. Just came back from some nice days in the mountains. I am sorry you are so upset! I know the offseason didnt yield the super star players we all hoped for. I mean if you need to tell yourself this is Layden or Isiah or whatever all over again fine. I mean that is your right. If you want to share that on an internet message forum... well that is inviting commentary. There is really nothing similar to what Layden did and what Perry is doing but I do have an aneurysm so things are not always clear for me

we signed a bunch of role players and I say that's Layden-esque. I bet Layden's roster ends up winning more games. I didn't say this was an Isiah roster. There you go, putting **** in other people's mouths again. Really, signing a bunch of role players is dissimilar to Layden signing a bunch role players? Man, I wish I could stomp my feet and see the world in different shades of rose too

well sorry. Maybe take out the poop I put in your mouth, and try stomping your feet? Also in trying to be helpful I found these:

https://www.amazon.com/MLC-EYEWEAR-Circle-Lennon-Sunglasses/dp/B00OWUKPPO/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=3RO62Q82UBETV&keywords=rose+colored+glasses&qid=1562080773&s=gateway&sprefix=rose+col%2Caps%2C132&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

Rose colored glasses! Only $10. Not too shabby!

Also I like how you changed your comment. So this is just like Layden's teams. Only totally different. Got it.

Maybe we go from "we're essentially a Scott Layden team right now"
To "Layden-esque"
and finally just to "LAID."

Circle of life!

man, you spend more time chirping at me than you probably ever did with your ex-wife

have a good one

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

7/2/2019  12:09 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/2/2019  12:19 PM
Uptown wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
fishmike wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
fishmike wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:

+1

We are? We signed or traded for role players like Spoon, Jared Jefferies, Isley, Shandon Anderson to 4-5 year deals? We traded picks for washed up or injured stars?

No. We are the exact opposite of a Layden team. But dont logic or truth stop the parade. March on.

whatever dude - I didn't realize Wayne Ellington And Reggie Bullock and Taj Gibson were going to be anything more than role players. Yeah, we're younger and more athletic than a Layden squad. But I mean you sound like you got your head in the sand bro. You should take a vacation because someone says something you don't like and you go into aneurysm mode

na... just replying to silly comments. Just came back from some nice days in the mountains. I am sorry you are so upset! I know the offseason didnt yield the super star players we all hoped for. I mean if you need to tell yourself this is Layden or Isiah or whatever all over again fine. I mean that is your right. If you want to share that on an internet message forum... well that is inviting commentary. There is really nothing similar to what Layden did and what Perry is doing but I do have an aneurysm so things are not always clear for me

we signed a bunch of role players and I say that's Layden-esque. I bet Layden's roster ends up winning more games. I didn't say this was an Isiah roster. There you go, putting **** in other people's mouths again. Really, signing a bunch of role players is dissimilar to Layden signing a bunch role players? Man, I wish I could stomp my feet and see the world in different shades of rose too

There is a big difference between Layden and Perry and it aint even close. Perry is signing dudes to 2 year contracts with an out after year 1. Layden was trading for Shandon Anderson who just signed a 6 year 42 million contract (guaranteed) and Howard Eisley who was in the 2nd year of his 7 year 41 million dollar deal!!! He followed that up with a 5 year 27 million dollar deal (guaranteed) to Clarence Weatherspoon!! You cant be serious with your comparison!!!

BTW, Randles potential is better than anyone of Laydens moves....Randle is 24, trending up....Weatherspoon was over 30 when Layden signed him...Layden had zero vision for the future or for building a team.

Maybe I am overreacting here because I'm disappointed, but I am failing to see how Taj is a significant upgrade over Clarence Weatherspoon, or how Reggis Bullock is any better than Shandon Anderson

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
7/2/2019  12:11 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:
fishmike wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
fishmike wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
fishmike wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:

+1

well sorry. Maybe take out the poop I put in your mouth, and try stomping your feet? Also in trying to be helpful I found these:

https://www.amazon.com/MLC-EYEWEAR-Circle-Lennon-Sunglasses/dp/B00OWUKPPO/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=3RO62Q82UBETV&keywords=rose+colored+glasses&qid=1562080773&s=gateway&sprefix=rose+col%2Caps%2C132&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

Rose colored glasses! Only $10. Not too shabby!

Also I like how you changed your comment. So this is just like Layden's teams. Only totally different. Got it.

Maybe we go from "we're essentially a Scott Layden team right now"
To "Layden-esque"
and finally just to "LAID."

Circle of life!

man, you spend more time chirping at me than you probably ever did with your ex-wife

have a good one

life is good. Its just the Knicks. You too!
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

7/2/2019  12:47 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:
Uptown wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
fishmike wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
fishmike wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:

+1

There is a big difference between Layden and Perry and it aint even close. Perry is signing dudes to 2 year contracts with an out after year 1. Layden was trading for Shandon Anderson who just signed a 6 year 42 million contract (guaranteed) and Howard Eisley who was in the 2nd year of his 7 year 41 million dollar deal!!! He followed that up with a 5 year 27 million dollar deal (guaranteed) to Clarence Weatherspoon!! You cant be serious with your comparison!!!

BTW, Randles potential is better than anyone of Laydens moves....Randle is 24, trending up....Weatherspoon was over 30 when Layden signed him...Layden had zero vision for the future or for building a team.

Maybe I am overreacting here because I'm disappointed, but I am failing to see how Taj is a significant upgrade over Clarence Weatherspoon, or how Reggis Bullock is any better than Shandon Anderson

The contracts and lack of commitments are the main differences...We were stuck with spoon for years. Gibson can be moved at the deadline with ease..

smackeddog
Member: #883
7/2/2019  1:17 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/2/2019  1:17 PM
We need to show some improvement this year, but we also need a high pick, so I'm aiming for 30 wins (4 of which against the Nets)
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
7/3/2019  8:16 AM
I don't know if anyone has read or shared:

https://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/knicks-free-agency-julius-randle-taj-gibson-bobby-portis-wayne-ellington-1.33262191

This is a good overview of the players we added. An honest reading does not support labeling the moves as Layden-esque, certainly not when applying that to his time here.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/3/2019  8:37 AM
summer league is not a good indicator. Depends on what your looking at and thats for coaches to see.

If we can win 34 games thats a double from last year. I know we all have our own arbitrary standards but I’m trying to stay grounded on reality. A double would be fantastic!!!
The progress of players is incremental so in a long season I expect fatigue and injuries to play a role as always.
How they deal with it is important. Knox finished strong last year. Says a lot.

There is a lot of potential here. I suppose other teams have this too. Our division is not easy.
Face it, even without Kwahi Toronto is still a playoff team. Boston with Kemba-Tatum-Haywood core is still 48-50 wins good. PHilly should be a powerhouse and Brooklyn healthier with Kyrie is a 42+ win team.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

7/3/2019  8:38 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/3/2019  8:43 AM
franco12 wrote:I don't know if anyone has read or shared:

https://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/knicks-free-agency-julius-randle-taj-gibson-bobby-portis-wayne-ellington-1.33262191

This is a good overview of the players we added. An honest reading does not support labeling the moves as Layden-esque, certainly not when applying that to his time here.

Eisley/Anderson were in year 2 of a 7 year contract. To think they their roughly 6 mill a year salary was in 2001 dollars. Thats what was so depressing, so much cap space for so long. Would have made great bench players on a contender.

Suggest some poster focus their attention more on the length of these contracts, than the cap hit. This squad wasnt built to be a contender, shouldn't be judged that way. It was built to help develop the younger players, decide on who stays, who goes, and keep cap flexibility for any opportunities that present themselves.

For those of you feel like you got Rice a Roni, instead of what's behind door number one, the worst thing to do would have been to give out long term deals for players Knicks likely will regret signing before too long. When better, healthier, players become available.

Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
7/3/2019  9:20 AM
We have *1* player that could start on a playoff team, in Randle. The rest are role players or not there yet. Still scratching my head over Taj and Ellington signings. 25 wins. And that could be over-optimistic.
knicks1248
Member: #582
7/3/2019  9:30 AM
Panos wrote:We have *1* player that could start on a playoff team, in Randle. The rest are role players or not there yet. Still scratching my head over Taj and Ellington signings. 25 wins. And that could be over-optimistic.

The league is 90% role players, and they all have a certain set of skills that supposed to compliment each other if you put the right guys and coach together..That's where the FO fails Miserably..

Let's change the culture by tanking, is that the plan?

ES
newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

7/3/2019  9:39 AM
fishmike wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:

+1

Well said. Some people just can't see the truth.

newyorker4ever

7/3/2019  9:42 AM
SupremeCommander wrote:
fishmike wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:

+1

I think Ellington and Gibson will be role players but don't sleep on R.Bullock cause his last two years have been pretty dam good especially as a 3-D guy.

newyorker4ever

7/3/2019  9:44 AM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
fishmike wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:

+1

What are you even talking about? Laydens teams had bloated contracts,no youth,and no picks. We at least have a bunch of promising youngsters,the veterans we brought in will help and are on short term deals.

And not only have all of our own 1st round picks from here on out but have Dallas' 1st rounders in 2021 and 2023 with 21 being unprotected and 23 being top 10 protected.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
7/3/2019  9:52 AM
Panos wrote:We have *1* player that could start on a playoff team, in Randle. The rest are role players or not there yet. Still scratching my head over Taj and Ellington signings. 25 wins. And that could be over-optimistic.

Pretty sure Taj is there to help out Randle and Robinson with D, on the court and in the lockerroom.

Don't know enough about Ellington but he would be an additional shooter.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Ira
Member: #91
7/3/2019  10:04 AM
A lot of mediocrity like last season. There's talent there and a chance that one of the young signees will break through, but I wouldn't depend on it. In spite of Robinson, this will be one of the worst defensive teams in the league.
Expectations for Next Season

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy