[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Elfrid Payton is a Knick
Author Thread
MS
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #724
7/1/2019  2:51 PM
Front court help fine, we are a little thin.

But, we have Barret, Frank, Dotson, Trier, DSJR and Allen. Let’s figure out if anyone can really play before moving them for peanuts because we have to play the new nudist, Payton.

God, I hate incompetence and this franchise. Torture rooting through Layden, Isiah, Mills and Dolan.

AUTOADVERT
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
7/1/2019  2:53 PM
Perry special favor.
TPercy
Member: #5748

7/1/2019  2:56 PM
Ger*
The Future is Bright!
CleaverGreene
Member: #8756

7/1/2019  2:59 PM
CleaverGreene wrote:
MS wrote:Front court help fine, we are a little thin.

But, we have Barret, Frank, Dotson, Trier, DSJR and Allen. Let’s figure out if anyone can really play before moving them for peanuts because we have to play the new nudist, Payton.

God, I hate incompetence and this franchise. Torture rooting through Layden, Isiah, Mills and Dolan.

A strange signing.

I assume Perry has a history with him, but I cannot understand this decision.

On June 25, 2012, Perry was hired by the Orlando Magic general manager Rob Hennigan to become Hennigan's vice president and assistant general manager.[1] ESPN basketball analyst and former NBA player Chauncey Billups spoke highly of Perry as the assistant general manager of the Magic, saying, "I love Scott Perry in the front office."[4][5]

In his time in Orlando, Perry helped draft Victor Oladipo (2013), Aaron Gordon and Elfrid Payton (2014), and Mario Hezonja (2015). Only Gordon is still with the Magic as of the 2018-19 season.

There are three classes of men; lovers of wisdom, lovers of honor, and lovers of gain. (Plato)
TPercy
Member: #5748

7/1/2019  3:03 PM
This isn't a hard signing to understand. A Pg rotation of DSJ and Frank simply wasn't going to cut it.
The Future is Bright!
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
7/1/2019  3:09 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/1/2019  3:10 PM
TPercy wrote:This isn't a hard signing to understand. A Pg rotation of DSJ and Frank simply wasn't going to cut it.

They haven’t even been given a chance to show what they can do. Payton contact seems more like a gift from Perry.

newyorknewyork
Member: #541
7/1/2019  3:09 PM
CleaverGreene wrote:
Chandler wrote:
the guy's 3 point % is worse than Frank's. Just saying

Idiotic signing.

Now let's see...throughout his career Payton has put up the kind of stats Frank would have put up his first year or two if you just gave him the PG role and 30MPG without ragging on him if he makes a mistake...

But Payton has had 5 years to improve...and he has basically been the same player since year one, except for a haircut. Orlando got fleeced by the Sixers in order to get him, and they gave up on him.

From day 1, the guy was handed the ball and given 30MPG, and he's been the same player, with little if any evolution.

So now you take playing time from Smith, Allen, Frank, etc., and give it to a guy who has been a decent rotation player on teams that have never gotten over 35 wins.

Makes a lot of sense.

Hes more of a natural floor general point guard. I assume that was the one appeal they have with him over the rest of the guys one the roster. Him not being able to shoot the 3 well though really hurts him given our roster makeup though. Don't know if him and Smith can work though. Need more of a shooter in that rotation at PG to mix in.

Kadeem Allen had a pretty good 20 games with us last season though. 9.9pts, 4ast, 2.7rebs in 22mins on %574 TS. 47% from 3.

There has to be some type of trade in the works.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/1/2019  3:14 PM
Vmart wrote:
TPercy wrote:This isn't a hard signing to understand. A Pg rotation of DSJ and Frank simply wasn't going to cut it.

They haven’t even been given a chance to show what they can do. Payton contact seems more like a gift from Perry.

Frank isn’t a point guard. He wasn’t a point guard in Europe. He can be a secondary ball handler and play on the wing if he finds his jump shot.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
CrushAlot
USA
7/1/2019  3:15 PM
Perry was part of the management team that draft ed Payton. This is his Mario signing.
CleaverGreene

7/1/2019  3:16 PM
Vmart wrote:Perry special favor.

He was involved in drafting both Hezonja and Payton. They took Hezonja over a number of decent players after not getting KP, and the team was fleeced by Philly after they talked Payton up so much that the Sixers drafted him to extort Orlando into flipping #1s and picking up some other picks for a player-Payton- they never wanted.

Wonder if Perry picked up Mario, and not Payton, to prove he/Orlando were actually right in taking them in the first place?

There are three classes of men; lovers of wisdom, lovers of honor, and lovers of gain. (Plato)
Solace
Alba Posts: 20
Member: #479
USA
7/1/2019  3:19 PM
This is a fine placeholder, nothing special, though.
CleaverGreene

7/1/2019  3:21 PM
Vmart wrote:

As I wrote earlier...If Frank had just been handed the keys to the PG position from day one, and given 30MPG like Payton has always been given, his stats would have been the same as what Payton has put up every year for 5 years.

Dumb pickup which hurts guys you were hoping to see develop.

This might be Perry trying to prove that giving up a lot to Philly to trade for Payton was a good idea, despite his limited improvement as a player after 5 years in the league.

CrushAlot
USA
7/1/2019  4:03 PM
CleaverGreene wrote:
Vmart wrote:

As I wrote earlier...If Frank had just been handed the keys to the PG position from day one, and given 30MPG like Payton has always been given, his stats would have been the same as what Payton has put up every year for 5 years.

This might be Perry trying to prove that giving up a lot to Philly to trade for Payton was a good idea, despite his limited improvement as a player after 5 years in the league.

Frank wasn’t a point guard in Europe. At 18 he came to a different country and had to try to learn a new position and n the toughest league in the world. He was pencilled in for 21 minutes a night no matter what. He got tired in early February that year. Last year he was hurt for half the season. How svsituation with the Knicks hasn’t been great. If he was going to be an nba point guard he needed to go to Westchester and play on the ball a ton. He isn’t going to play point for the Knicks. They see him as a wing.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
7/1/2019  4:13 PM
Another good player. Excellent defender. Very little offense. 25. Excellent contract.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

7/1/2019  4:26 PM
CleaverGreene wrote:
Vmart wrote:

Frank did not have the stamina to play 30 minutes a game, thats a fantasy.

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
7/1/2019  4:27 PM
1 year contract and people are complaining?
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

7/1/2019  4:46 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/1/2019  4:59 PM
CrushAlot wrote:Nice. i thought he would be a Knick. Good signing. I like him at his salary better than Rozier.

Yep! I don't like this signing, because I feel Peyton is who he is. How easy would be be able to flip? But still....much rather sign him than Rozier. Peyton has weaknesses, but he works around them. Terry can literally destroy offenses with his lack of self awareness.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

7/1/2019  4:58 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
CleaverGreene wrote:
Vmart wrote:

Frank wasn’t a point guard in Europe. At 18 he came to a different country and had to try to learn a new position and n the toughest league in the world. He was pencilled in for 21 minutes a night no matter what. He got tired in early February that year. Last year he was hurt for half the season. How svsituation with the Knicks hasn’t been great. If he was going to be an nba point guard he needed to go to Westchester and play on the ball a ton. He isn’t going to play point for the Knicks. They see him as a wing.

Not quite true. He was the lead ball handler when playing with his generational group. He did play more off the ball with his pro team, but he did run the offense from time to time. I won't say he won't play PG for an NBA team, but it probably won't be in the sense that many expect. I keep bringing up Diaw, because 1): They have similarly rough shooting percentages and 2) They were pigeonholed into positions that didn't necessarily fit. Diaw was brought in as an athletic swingman, but he frustrated people with his unselfishness.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
CleaverGreene

7/1/2019  5:17 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
CleaverGreene wrote:
Vmart wrote:

Frank did not have the stamina to play 30 minutes a game, thats a fantasy.

Perhaps he shouldn't have played as hard on D...always easier to stay fresh if you don't play serious defense.

He did average over 30MPG at the end of his first season, and for the month of October, his second season, and, surprise surprise, his 3 PT shooting was around 37% over those games.

He needs to get stronger, and he has, to some extent, but you don't build stamina unless you play.

Chandler
Member: #6197

7/1/2019  5:19 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
CleaverGreene wrote:
Vmart wrote:

Crush why are you saying he wasn't a pg? DO you have a basis for this. I just checked Wikipedia and saw many links which don't cite position, but the ones that did said pg: https://www.sbnation.com/2017/6/22/15856890/frank-ntilikina-nba-draft-travel-knicks-workout

(5)(5)
Elfrid Payton is a Knick

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy