[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Great job by FO!!!
Author Thread
Jmpasq
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4182

7/1/2019  8:22 PM
martin wrote:
codeunknown wrote:This is overall excellent execution on Perry's part.

Julius Randle's deal is an A, without question. The remainder of the deals simply satisfy the required salary floor, without sacrificing any marginal flexibility. The 2 year deals with Portis and Payton offer opportunities to exercise favorable options in the event of improvement, and maintain continuity.

The missed opportunity here was to acquire Iguodala plus Golden state's pick. In other words, leveraging the cap space judiciously to acquire additional assets was missing from the overall plan.

Its fair to surmise that the front office took a very conservative approach to this year's free agency, perhaps too conservative, but on average this will pay dividends down the line.

A very solid A- for the off season thus far.

Agreed here. Thought I also read that GS front office knew they may have to move Iggy which also means they told his agent/him and probably asked him his preference.

It would of been funny after he trashed the Knicks if we traded for him.

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
AUTOADVERT
blkexec
Member: #748
7/1/2019  8:29 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/1/2019  8:31 PM
The only complaint I'm hearing is we missed out on getting 1st round picks for two salary dumps....Iggy and mohartless.

Other than those missed opportunities, we did fine. Get to see the kids grow. I think the vets and additional players along with fitz culture, will turn this team into positionless 2 way players.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
7/1/2019  8:32 PM
Jmpasq wrote:
martin wrote:

Julius Randle's deal is an A, without question. The remainder of the deals simply satisfy the required salary floor, without sacrificing any marginal flexibility. The 2 year deals with Portis and Payton offer opportunities to exercise favorable options in the event of improvement, and maintain continuity.

The missed opportunity here was to acquire Iguodala plus Golden state's pick. In other words, leveraging the cap space judiciously to acquire additional assets was missing from the overall plan.

Its fair to surmise that the front office took a very conservative approach to this year's free agency, perhaps too conservative, but on average this will pay dividends down the line.

Agreed here. Thought I also read that GS front office knew they may have to move Iggy which also means they told his agent/him and probably asked him his preference.

Right, and exactly why NY was probably not the destination for him.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

7/1/2019  8:51 PM
martin wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
martin wrote:

I'm not sure....the rumor is that Iggy will ask for a buyout and sign with the Lakers. Doesn't sound like a guy who landed in spot he desired. Sounds like a guy out for blood.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
codeunknown
Member: #704
7/1/2019  10:18 PM
martin wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
martin wrote:

None of us know the exact details, and it is off minimal importance. There were a very small number of transactions of the cap absorption type, due to a lack of both sellers and buyers; its hard to be overly heartbroken that the Knicks couldn't execute this strategy. They get an A-, just short of an absolute home run.

Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
fitzfarm
Member: #3285

7/2/2019  1:14 AM
Really great job by the knicks front office. Didn’t cave for a injured and over the hill Durant or a over rated diva in Irving. Didn’t over spend for over the hill vets in al Horford or Paul Millsap. The only real prize we missed was Kawhi but everyone knows even before the season started he was going to LA. Didn't cave on head cases in cousins. Didn’t offer 180 mil to a flawed no defense T Harris.

We stayed the course of a real rebuild brought in nice mix of young and vets mainly on team friendly contracts. we really didn’t break the bank for anyone and got some solid role players and one with star potential in randle the only one signed for more then one year considering everyone else is a team option for year two! Fantastic!

We have two potential lottery picks next year (though unless we get the injury bug I think we make the playoffs) and two second round picks.

I give them a A

Plus I have a real soft spot for Payton

TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

7/2/2019  2:29 AM
codeunknown wrote:The missed opportunity here was to acquire Iguodala plus Golden state's pick.

From what I'm hearing they tried but the Knicks were unwilling to buy out Iggy. Not saying the Grizzlies will or will not.

The cash market value of GS's likely pick range is exceeded by Iggys actual salary. What I'm saying if you wanted GS's late first, another method to get it might have been long term cheaper to do.

codeunknown
Member: #704
7/2/2019  8:43 AM
TripleThreat wrote:
codeunknown wrote:The missed opportunity here was to acquire Iguodala plus Golden state's pick.

From what I'm hearing they tried but the Knicks were unwilling to buy out Iggy. Not saying the Grizzlies will or will not.

The cash market value of GS's likely pick range is exceeded by Iggys actual salary. What I'm saying if you wanted GS's late first, another method to get it might have been long term cheaper to do.

This is incorrect conceptually. Even if we grant that the GS 1st rd pick will be late (which doesn’t account for the value in the uncertainty of this pick), a buyout executed after the start of the nba fiscal year counts towards the salary floor, which we were considerably under. Given that the opportunity cost became clear after the big free agents went elsewhere, the marginal opportunity cost of trading for Iguodala was not his salary, the amount of which we would be required to pay under salary floor rules, but rather Reggie Bullock and Wayne Ellington. In deciding between 2 year options on Bullock and Ellington versus a future 1st round pick, recent market trends make it obvious that the 1st round pick is off greater value.

Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

7/2/2019  9:00 AM
codeunknown wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:

This is incorrect conceptually. Even if we grant that the GS 1st rd pick will be late (which doesn’t account for the value in the uncertainty of this pick), a buyout executed after the start of the nba fiscal year counts towards the salary floor, which we were considerably under. Given that the opportunity cost became clear after the big free agents went elsewhere, the marginal opportunity cost of trading for Iguodala was not his salary, the amount of which we would be required to pay under salary floor rules, but rather Reggie Bullock and Wayne Ellington. In deciding between 2 year options on Bullock and Ellington versus a future 1st round pick, recent market trends make it obvious that the 1st round pick is off greater value.

Would Memphis take on the full cap hit? Even though a buyout will probably be for millions less? Think the draft pick gained would be worth absorbing his salary. Specially if it turns out to be a favorable buyout figure.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
jazz74
Member: #371
7/2/2019  10:00 AM
Jmpasq wrote:
martin wrote:

is it trashing when he was just being brutally honest about the state of the knicks?

knicks1248
Member: #582
7/2/2019  10:11 AM
jazz74 wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
martin wrote:

is it trashing when he was just being brutally honest about the state of the knicks?

He said nobody is going to the knicks (meaning no top FA) and look what ended up happening..

ES
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

7/2/2019  10:15 AM
I JulY
knicks1248 wrote:
jazz74 wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
martin wrote:

He said nobody is going to the knicks (meaning no top FA) and look what ended up happening..

As far as I know Durant was the main guy we really wanted but after he got hurt he wasnt worth the risk. Trading every asset we had for the next decade for Davis wouldnt of changed anything
newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

7/2/2019  10:40 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
arkrud wrote:Very satisfied with the free agency results.
No malcontents, no albatross contracts, no overpaying.
Great job by FO in another step into right direction.
Respect.

95% of knicks fans disagree, we are currently the biggest laughing stock on social media, and every single sport show across the board has labeled us losers x100.

So far no Team IN the NBA has overpaid for anyone, in fact you have a few players that took less so their respected teams can add more..

Next yrs Draft class and FA class will be the worst in decades..

I think they did great. I love the Randle and Portis signings. The Knicks would be killed on social media and sports shows if they signed Durant. The Knicks were going to be the biggest story and called dumb no matter what happened. Loved the draft and the signings so far. I am hoping the front office will give Smith and Allen a long look at the point.

They actually came out pretty darn good after not getting any of the big names and not only got players that are good enough to make a playoff run with but signed every one of them to contracts that not only don't hurt us if we do want to get back into the free agency game in 2021 when it's pretty strong again but these are guys that plenty of playoff teams would trade a draft pick or two for at the trade deadline or guys we could use to trade for a disgruntled star player that wants out of his situation or that team wants to trade him to clear space. It really turned into a pretty good offseason.

StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

7/2/2019  10:45 AM
newyorker4ever wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Respect.

95% of knicks fans disagree, we are currently the biggest laughing stock on social media, and every single sport show across the board has labeled us losers x100.

So far no Team IN the NBA has overpaid for anyone, in fact you have a few players that took less so their respected teams can add more..

I think they did great. I love the Randle and Portis signings. The Knicks would be killed on social media and sports shows if they signed Durant. The Knicks were going to be the biggest story and called dumb no matter what happened. Loved the draft and the signings so far. I am hoping the front office will give Smith and Allen a long look at the point.

They actually came out pretty darn good after not getting any of the big names and not only got players that are good enough to make a playoff run with but signed every one of them to contracts that not only don't hurt us if we do want to get back into the free agency game in 2021 when it's pretty strong again but these are guys that plenty of playoff teams would trade a draft pick or two for at the trade deadline or guys we could use to trade for a disgruntled star player that wants out of his situation or that team wants to trade him to clear space. It really turned into a pretty good offseason.

Agreed. Its funny for years we would throw away countless picks and salary for injury prone players we would get bashed for it and rightfully so. But now we are thinking longterm and smarter and we get bashed for it lol. Listen would I have liked a healthy Durant? Of course but that wasnt in the cards and that injury scares the hell out of me. I like the guys we picked up, I like our kids,and I like we didnt throw away assets like we used to do
newyorker4ever

7/2/2019  12:24 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Respect.

95% of Knicks fans disagree? So you've had the time to go through millions on tweets and any other social media readin what Knicks fans....or i'm sorry, what 95% of Knicks fans are saying? Must be lonely.

newyorker4ever

7/2/2019  12:29 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
jazz74 wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
martin wrote:

Well they only wanted two of the max guys and didn't make an offer to either one soooooo..................They didn't really try to get any of the other max players. Didn't try for Kryie, didn't try for Kemba, didn't try for J.Butler, didn't try for K.Middleton, didn't try for T.Harris and on and on. I'm sure they tried for Kawhi or at least to get a meeting with Kawhu which some are saying Kawhi said he would do but not until July 3rd and they decided they didn't want to wait that long and lose out on other players knowing it would only be a meeting with no guarantee they'd be able to get him.

newyorker4ever

7/2/2019  12:33 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Respect.

Agreed. Its funny for years we would throw away countless picks and salary for injury prone players we would get bashed for it and rightfully so. But now we are thinking longterm and smarter and we get bashed for it lol. Listen would I have liked a healthy Durant? Of course but that wasnt in the cards and that injury scares the hell out of me. I like the guys we picked up, I like our kids,and I like we didnt throw away assets like we used to do

Agreed and now we simply stick with plan B and keep building through the draft and with young players. If in the next year or two J.Randle or B.Portis show growth on the defensive end then we could end up keeping one of them because both have already proven to be legit at scoring and rebounding and Randle is actually a pretty darn good passing big man.

technomaster
Member: #426
USA
7/2/2019  11:37 PM
TheGame wrote:I don't think people fully appreciate the moves the Knicks made. We signed one 24 year old stud who has the chance to turn into an allstar for a fair deal. A guy like Russell just got the max and he is not significantly better than Randle. We then signed five guys who can all play on decent two year deals but then had the wisdom to make the second year a team option. So now we have a boat load of tradeable assets that we can use if an AD type demands to be traded at the deadline or if teams want to clear cap space. We have the ultimate flexibility AND we got players that plug many of the holes that were on this team. This was a brilliant FA period.

I think the Knicks did a solid job giving the team a chance to get better. I think our best scenario would have been to sign Kawhi/Kemba. While I think Kemba could have been realistic had the Knicks gone after him, there would be little logical reason for Kawhi to come here.

Every season is a new beginning - you hope the team gels and you head into the new year around .500, in contention for a playoff spot. If not, we can easily pull the plug all the way and turn on the tank. The expiring/2nd year team option contracts make our new guys ideal trade candidates for assets to contenders. Win if they help us win, win if we don't win and they get us more picks.

Regarding the Nets: Kudos to them for getting the winning (risky) haul. In their fairy tale world, Kyrie stays healthy and the young team continues to improve, and KD is able to return in time for a playoff run.

Realistically, they have to be worried if about taking a step back. Figure KD will miss the entire year. Figure if Kyrie does what he always does, he'll miss 20-30 games this season and cause some discord on his team. Russell played a solid 81 games last season and had solid chemistry with his teammates. Beyond this season, next season I'd be worried again that KD will have lost some explosion and wiggle to his game. He might not shoot as well nor be able to shake defenders the way he has in his prime. And of course, Kyrie could bring all of the same baggage he has.

Steven A Smith needs to get a grip.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/3/2019  11:20 AM
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
knicks1248
Member: #582
7/3/2019  11:40 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/3/2019  11:44 AM
StarksEwing1 wrote:I JulY
knicks1248 wrote:
jazz74 wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
martin wrote:

As far as I know Durant was the main guy we really wanted but after he got hurt he wasnt worth the risk. Trading every asset we had for the next decade for Davis wouldnt of changed anything

Again, you can't trade back to back draft picks, so even if we gave up 3, we had 4 left over the next 5 seasons..and do we have anyone on the roster that is even remotely close to AD..that's a once in decade talent.

Your thinking is like we are still in the 90"s early 2k..did you see how quick the nets went from No picks and cap space just 3 yrs ago

if RJ turns out to be more jalan rose than KOBE

Knox who avg .2 assist turns out to be more Beasly, than KD

frank, DSJ..really

Mitch more Faried than Hakeem..

You do realise that 9 out of every 10 draft picks are role players.

So when you say your glad we didn't trade any picks/role players to get a super star, you sound kind of crazy, especially when we suck and no one wants to come here as a FA.

ES
Great job by FO!!!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy