[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Dear Knicks Front Office
Author Thread
blkexec
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #748
7/1/2019  12:06 PM
Wheres that Allan Houston thread when you need it. Some of these knick fans need a history lesson. If you don't know your history, you're doomed to repeat it.

This is the first time I've seen the knicks have a plan....Plan didn't work....Now they have a second plan. Stay competive, and allow the young guys to play and grow together, will becoming free agent players again in 2 years. As long as the vision is there, I'm ok.

Would it be better for us to just absorb bad contracts and add draft picks? That's debatable. Try selling that to ticket holders, player development coaches and culture changing managers.

If anything, the Nets and NO has shown us the advantages of making the playoffs, while having flexibility is one strategy that worked. Builds up your culture of wining, while giving your young guns a platform to learn how to win.

If we continue to suck as bad as we did last year, then you make changes. The pressure is on Fitz now. We get to see if he's the coach that's going to lead us to a chip. Will Knox, RJ, Mitch and others give us a sign that their potential ceiling is high. Last year was the tank. This will be the audition. Good luck Fitz, time to earn your stripes.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
AUTOADVERT
HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

7/2/2019  9:43 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/2/2019  9:49 AM
Chandler wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
90sKnicks wrote:
If you feel you “Lost” Zion then revisit math.
If you feel we lost Kyrie then be greatful.
If we lost Durant, he was lost when he tore his heel.
Small consolation was were in his top 4. End of the day you really want a max contract with a guy sitting a year, then hopefully at 85% at the end of year two at age 33?
While I like to win, I just don’t think was “lost” here.

Well said! I've been sick as a Knicks fan for many years this century, but not today. Anyone who doesn't understand that we are undergoing our first true rebuild (the right way) is probably the reason the Knicks management often panics and signs big names to appease them.

If Durant hadn't torn his Achilles then today would have been entirely different as far as expectations of signing him and as far as real disappointment if he didn't sign.

I would have preferred 2 years for 48 million on the Randle signing instead of 3 for 63. That's the only thing that i'm disappointed with today.

If thats the case then why are we not taking on salary dumps and adding draft picks?
Why are we not keeping imexpensive vets ($1m LT) instead of signing expensive vets in Gibson. Your telling me Taj is 10 times better than LT? Why are we not signing inexpensive young players? (Vonleh $5M) You will see Randle is not 4 times better than him. Bullock for $10M? Come on...

Fact is, we ****ed up deals that were teed up. Okay, lets say that's fine. Durant will go from best player on earth to a bumbling gimp. So why hand out all this salary to guys that essentially dont make us better than last year and will not be part of any future chip team. Bit that wpuld be fine if we were taking on draft picks to overpay these rentals. That is, unless you think that anyone we picked up will be part of any chip team? If so,,you haven't seen those guys play. But enjoy finding out during the regular season.
Knicks whiffed, yet again in FA. Their back up plan should have been deals like GS offered for Iggy. Or keep the same team as last year and get another top 3 pick. Instead they knee jerked to save face and signed a bunch of over paid bums with the space cleared dumping KP because they **** that relationship out of NY.

But I guess guys will,keep spinning to get by. Maybe an intervention will help.

I can't believe I'm agreeing with Hofstra.

He's right; if this was supposed to be about the future it could have and should have been played a lot better by snagging assets

this smacks of desperation of a FO and CS being spurned (their best trait was supposedly to make the team an attractive destination). they want to add some wins to keep their jobs

nothing against the players; they're all nice but expensive for what you're getting and totally inconsistent with last week's "process"

Dang...what are the low lifes of the world going to do now that hell has frozen over.

Over reaction MAY have been had once we missed out on 2 max players. My bad, should have known better to expect so much.

Biggest gripe is how some fans are so caught up in losing that hey don't realize how the lines keep getting moved. They ignore the excuses made in the past for the many Knick set backs.

1) KP got traded. Hater excuse...He was a diva. He was too skinny. He will never play again. All bull****. Think it will be proven that he was playing at a ridiculous level before injury and will be at same level next year. And I choose to believe a kid that has had zero history of being a manipulative liar. Unlike our heralded front office (Mills) The FO excuse...we cleared cap space so that we can go after the top FA's in 2019. Now that they failed and essentially failed in KP trade, everyone ignores the excuses and still claim who care, KP was a diva. First step...DENIAL!

2) The Knicks swore they would not have a knee jerk reaction if they missed on KD, KI, Kawhi. Okay fine, we miss on all top FA and therefore all the cap clearing, KP trade was for not. No problem. What was the back up plan? Wait a few days to see how things clear out and look for desperation moves to take advantage of. (GS and Iggy) Sign some cheap deals for role players/second chancers and allow the young core to play another season and gain experience? Gather more assets/draft picks by taking on one year deals from teams that need to clear cap space? Nah, lets fill the roster within a day of guys that will take time away from young core. Over pay for mediocre assets that will fill the floor but will probably have no future past 2020. Fans.. great move by the FO, Portis is awesome. Knicks needed to make this a winning team for young core development. Have they seen the guys paly that we added? Some even pushing the Randle can be an All Star idea. Have they seen him play? Smart move to overpay Taj for Vet presence. Have they seen him play? At least we have GIANNIS in 2021. FO...sorry fans. Next day..okay guys, we are now waiting for 2021 and we think we put together a solid team. But we will probably have 2 more years of a mediocre, bad team and are focused on 2021. Mills=Ivy league genius.

Anyway, it is what it is. Hate that fans are so use to being fooled by Mills and Dolan. Tired of the excuses. Essentially Mills keeps padding his Knick life span by fooling everyone. However, I am Still a Knick fan. Always will be. And NO, I will not root for the NETS. For the idiots that think I am trolling and hating on the GREAT moves..F them. I am one of the many guys who have been putting up with this **** for a long time and put my money where my mouth is buying season tickets.

Looking forward to seeing (hopefully a lot) of Smith, Barret, Knox, Frank, Mitch, Dotson, Trier, Bradseikis develop and continue to develop. Yes I will root for Randle, Portis to work out and change their careers around. Liked Bullock, minus the salary and outside shooting. Like Payton minus the haircut and outside shooting. Like Ellingtons motor and age, minus the salary. Curious about Wilkes.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
Chandler
Member: #6197

7/2/2019  10:23 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:
Chandler wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
90sKnicks wrote:
Small consolation was were in his top 4. End of the day you really want a max contract with a guy sitting a year, then hopefully at 85% at the end of year two at age 33?

Well said! I've been sick as a Knicks fan for many years this century, but not today. Anyone who doesn't understand that we are undergoing our first true rebuild (the right way) is probably the reason the Knicks management often panics and signs big names to appease them.

If Durant hadn't torn his Achilles then today would have been entirely different as far as expectations of signing him and as far as real disappointment if he didn't sign.

I would have preferred 2 years for 48 million on the Randle signing instead of 3 for 63. That's the only thing that i'm disappointed with today.

If thats the case then why are we not taking on salary dumps and adding draft picks?
Why are we not keeping imexpensive vets ($1m LT) instead of signing expensive vets in Gibson. Your telling me Taj is 10 times better than LT? Why are we not signing inexpensive young players? (Vonleh $5M) You will see Randle is not 4 times better than him. Bullock for $10M? Come on...

Fact is, we ****ed up deals that were teed up. Okay, lets say that's fine. Durant will go from best player on earth to a bumbling gimp. So why hand out all this salary to guys that essentially dont make us better than last year and will not be part of any future chip team. Bit that wpuld be fine if we were taking on draft picks to overpay these rentals. That is, unless you think that anyone we picked up will be part of any chip team? If so,,you haven't seen those guys play. But enjoy finding out during the regular season.
Knicks whiffed, yet again in FA. Their back up plan should have been deals like GS offered for Iggy. Or keep the same team as last year and get another top 3 pick. Instead they knee jerked to save face and signed a bunch of over paid bums with the space cleared dumping KP because they **** that relationship out of NY.

He's right; if this was supposed to be about the future it could have and should have been played a lot better by snagging assets

this smacks of desperation of a FO and CS being spurned (their best trait was supposedly to make the team an attractive destination). they want to add some wins to keep their jobs

nothing against the players; they're all nice but expensive for what you're getting and totally inconsistent with last week's "process"

Dang...what are the low lifes of the world going to do now that hell has frozen over.

Over reaction MAY have been had once we missed out on 2 max players. My bad, should have known better to expect so much.

Biggest gripe is how some fans are so caught up in losing that hey don't realize how the lines keep getting moved. They ignore the excuses made in the past for the many Knick set backs.

1) KP got traded. Hater excuse...He was a diva. He was too skinny. He will never play again. All bull****. Think it will be proven that he was playing at a ridiculous level before injury and will be at same level next year. And I choose to believe a kid that has had zero history of being a manipulative liar. Unlike our heralded front office (Mills) The FO excuse...we cleared cap space so that we can go after the top FA's in 2019. Now that they failed and essentially failed in KP trade, everyone ignores the excuses and still claim who care, KP was a diva. First step...DENIAL!

2) The Knicks swore they would not have a knee jerk reaction if they missed on KD, KI, Kawhi. Okay fine, we miss on all top FA and therefore all the cap clearing, KP trade was for not. No problem. What was the back up plan? Wait a few days to see how things clear out and look for desperation moves to take advantage of. (GS and Iggy) Sign some cheap deals for role players/second chancers and allow the young core to play another season and gain experience? Gather more assets/draft picks by taking on one year deals from teams that need to clear cap space? Nah, lets fill the roster within a day of guys that will take time away from young core. Over pay for mediocre assets that will fill the floor but will probably have no future past 2020. Fans.. great move by the FO, Portis is awesome. Knicks needed to make this a winning team for young core development. Have they seen the guys paly that we added? Some even pushing the Randle can be an All Star idea. Have they seen him play? Smart move to overpay Taj for Vet presence. Have they seen him play? At least we have GIANNIS in 2021. FO...sorry fans. Next day..okay guys, we are now waiting for 2021 and we think we put together a solid team. But we will probably have 2 more years of a mediocre, bad team and are focused on 2021. Mills=Ivy league genius.

Anyway, it is what it is. Hate that fans are so use to being fooled by Mills and Dolan. Tired of the excuses. Essentially Mills keeps padding his Knick life span by fooling everyone. However, I am Still a Knick fan. Always will be. And NO, I will not root for the NETS. For the idiots that think I am trolling and hating on the GREAT moves..F them. I am one of the many guys who have been putting up with this **** for a long time and put my money where my mouth is buying season tickets.

Looking forward to seeing (hopefully a lot) of Smith, Barret, Knox, Frank, Mitch, Dotson, Trier, Bradseikis develop and continue to develop. Yes I will root for Randle, Portis to work out and change their careers around. Liked Bullock, minus the salary and outside shooting. Like Payton minus the haircut and outside shooting. Like Ellingtons motor and age, minus the salary. Curious about Wilkes.

It pains me to say I agree with a lot of what you say above. Maybe I should re-think this

As a comp Nola had Randle and Jrue and AD and won 33 games. Some fans are predicting we win 50 and make the playoffs

What we won was the right to make a crappier draft pick

Also there were certainly more opportunities than Iggy, Harkless and the Atlanta guy. Those are just the guys who were actually moved. OKC has assets that are costing them huge. We couldn't get Shroeder and an asset instead of Payton? Oddly enough there was a rumor Dallas wanted to get rid of THJ. Mills has already signed him twice; third time is a charm

ugh.

(5)(5)
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

7/2/2019  11:34 AM
Also there were certainly more opportunities than Iggy, Harkless and the Atlanta guy. Those are just the guys who were actually moved. OKC has assets that are costing them huge. We couldn't get Shroeder and an asset instead of Payton? Oddly enough there was a rumor Dallas wanted to get rid of THJ. Mills has already signed him twice; third time is a charm

ugh.
[/quote]

True. Bell GS. Kaminski $5M in Boston. (Not great but improving) Even thought Mudiay deserved $5M after showing improvemwmt. Was Holiday available. He played well for us.

But like I said. It is what it is. Going to try to stay positive amd enjoy RJ playing.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
elmaestro33
Member: #8622

7/2/2019  12:17 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:

Amen... this couldn't have mirrored my thoughts better. Not sure what the answer is but someone should be fired for how the whole KP situation was handled and the final outcome (nothing to show for it).

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

7/2/2019  12:33 PM
elmaestro33 wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

Amen... this couldn't have mirrored my thoughts better. Not sure what the answer is but someone should be fired for how the whole KP situation was handled and the final outcome (nothing to show for it).

I don't completely agree but I do not disagree with the overall point. This offseason was a massive wet fart. I think we could've definitely added a couple of players that would be impact players, maybe not Kyrie and KD, but guys that you would expect to be the best player on the court at least a handful of times next season. I think we could've added long-term pieces by 'absorbing' guys like Andre Iguodola--who I would MUCH rather have than Bullock and Ellington

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
7/2/2019  12:39 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:
I don't completely agree but I do not disagree with the overall point. This offseason was a massive wet fart. I think we could've definitely added a couple of players that would be impact players, maybe not Kyrie and KD, but guys that you would expect to be the best player on the court at least a handful of times next season. I think we could've added long-term pieces by 'absorbing' guys like Andre Iguodola--who I would MUCH rather have than Bullock and Ellington

Who? Name them and at what price

Also, Iggy wants to be bought out. So you are paying for a first round pick in 2024 for like $17M? And then don't have 3pt shooting wings?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
7/2/2019  12:42 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
Chandler wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
90sKnicks wrote:

Excellent post of reality of the Knicks.

elmaestro33

7/2/2019  2:18 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/2/2019  2:19 PM
martin wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:

Also, Iggy wants to be bought out. So you are paying for a first round pick in 2024 for like $17M? And then don't have 3pt shooting wings?

We're signing a bunch of 1-2 stopgaps for that price anyways. I'd 100% rather pay $17mm for a 1st round pick in 2024 than have Taj Gibson (34) and Reggie Bullock (28) take away minutes from our young guys for a year or two. And who cares about 3pt shooting wings? The reality is that we're going to suck again this year anyways

martin
USA
7/2/2019  2:42 PM
elmaestro33 wrote:
martin wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:

We're signing a bunch of 1-2 stopgaps for that price anyways. I'd 100% rather pay $17mm for a 1st round pick in 2024 than have Taj Gibson (34) and Reggie Bullock (28) take away minutes from our young guys for a year or two. And who cares about 3pt shooting wings? The reality is that we're going to suck again this year anyways

Knicks went in a different direction.

And you can't field a team without spacing. Completely sucking is not in the cards this year.

ramtour420
Member: #1388
Russian Federation
7/2/2019  3:24 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/2/2019  3:37 PM
One thing that I would like to add is that draft picks are more valuable now then they ever have been. The new lottery system makes it so that even if the picks are supposed to be in the 4-7 range they could become #1-2. That's is crazy.

In the years past there were benefits and minuses to tanking and we were all discussing it here over the last year. The benefits are obvious but the minuses were such as losing culture, refs not giving players the benefit of the doubt and free agents not seeing the bigger picture( free agents from other teams as well as our own) Best example of this was KP not wanting to be the David Robinson in the TD draft when we had Zion in our draft.(I know , Spurs and Knicks are different franchises, but still)

The benefits of trying to field a competitive team while amassing assets and keeping flexibility have been discussed as well, with Celtics prior to the big three and now the Nets as recent examples. So why all the complaining? We are that team finally. Flexibility? Check. We did not sign any B grade FA to max contracts, as a matter of fact we signed them to relatively movable contracts except maybe Taj. Actually we only signed them all to one year contracts technically since the second years are all team options. Let that sink in for a sec. Randle is the only one on a two year contract, 3rd being a team option. That's what flexibility looks like. I have never seen it in 20 years as a fan. Potentially those contracts can become assets( more picks) at the trade deadline. Just saying.

Maybe it's time to stop regurgitating the old stuff such as losing KP for nothing?

Everything you have ever wanted is on the other side of fear- George Adair
knicks1248
Member: #582
7/2/2019  3:29 PM
Vmart wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Chandler wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
90sKnicks wrote:

Excellent post of reality of the Knicks.

In a nutshell it is good post

This FO has no plan, or should i say, no plan B..

But this is what you get when you hire in experience ppl who are best friends with the owner..

ES
SupremeCommander

7/2/2019  3:32 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/2/2019  3:38 PM
martin wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:

The assumption is Iggy would play here. He said no okay then move on. But I dunno, maybe he'd enjoy mentoring RJ.

To the main point: I would have prioritized pairing Randle with DRuss. We have some extra assets and he was an All Star last year and nearby. From what I read DRuss was able to influence his landing spot and GSW wanted him to trade him later. So my assumption is he was absolutely attainable and I think that duo would be enticing enough to get someone else to join. JJ Reddick seemed to move for peanuts. Maybe he really wanted to be in NOLA but he seemed gettable and we have no one that can shoot. Also, I know that this is all speculative but you are asking me to speculate

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

7/2/2019  3:34 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
Chandler wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
90sKnicks wrote:

You haven't played since last season. You havent been able to play a full season without running out of gas halfway througb. Yet you are backseat driving mgmt, while you are on the bench in street clothes and contributing nothing. You're damned skippy KP was a Diva. He tried to make a power play, and got his arse traded post haste.

What KP was doing had zero to do with leadership, and everything to do with his own narrow interests. "Dont let the door...."

elmaestro33

7/2/2019  3:55 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/2/2019  5:26 PM
ramtour420 wrote:One thing that I would like to add is that draft picks are more valuable now then they ever have been. The new lottery system makes it so that even if the picks are supposed to be in the 4-7 range they could become #1-2. That's is crazy.

In the years past there were benefits and minuses to tanking and we were all discussing it here over the last year. The benefits are obvious but the minuses were such as losing culture, refs not giving players the benefit of the doubt and free agents not seeing the bigger picture( free agents from other teams as well as our own) Best example of this was KP not wanting to be the David Robinson in the TD draft when we had Zion in our draft.(I know , Spurs and Knicks are different franchises, but still)

The benefits of trying to field a competitive team while amassing assets and keeping flexibility have been discussed as well, with Celtics prior to the big three and now the Nets as recent examples. So why all the complaining? We are that team finally. Flexibility? Check. We did not sign any B grade FA to max contracts, as a matter of fact we signed them to relatively movable contracts except maybe Taj. Actually we only signed them all to one year contracts technically since the second years are all team options. Let that sink in for a sec. Randle is the only one on a two year contract, 3rd being a team option. That's what flexibility looks like. I have never seen it in 20 years as a fan. Potentially those contracts can become assets( more picks) at the trade deadline. Just saying.

Maybe it's time to stop regurgitating the old stuff such as losing KP for nothing?

Couldn't agree more regarding draft picks and flexibility.

KP, on the other hand, is as relevant as ever. A huge part of that trade was to create cap space/flexibility for two max deals this summer and we, as fans, were told to hold off judgement until free agency. I'm not saying it was the front office's fault for striking out (Durant injury) but they still took that gamble and it did NOT pay off. Now we're looking at FA again in two years when Hardaway, Lee, and Noah would have been off the books anyways. We can hope to suck again and build through the draft and maybe get lucky enough to find another KP. Point is that the KP trade was a massive failure and we essentially gave him up for pennies on the dollar and the time to complain and judge the FO is now!

ramtour420
Member: #1388
Russian Federation
7/2/2019  4:39 PM
elmaestro33 wrote:
ramtour420 wrote:One thing that I would like to add is that draft picks are more valuable now then they ever have been. The new lottery system makes it so that even if the picks are supposed to be in the 4-7 range they could become #1-2. That's is crazy.

KP, on the other hand, is as relevant as ever. A huge part of that trade was to create cap space/flexibility for two max deals this summer and we, as fans, were told to hold off judgement until free agency. I'm not saying it was the front office's fault for striking out (Durant injury) but they still took that gamble and it did NOT pay off. Now we're looking at FA again in two years when Hardaway, Lee, and Noah would have been off the books anyways. We can hope to suck again and build through the draft and maybe get lucky enough to find another KP. Point is that the KP trade was a massive failure and we essentially gave him up for pennies on the dollar and the tie to complain and judge the FO is now!

I didn't want to do this and this does deserve a separate thread in itself but the threads are there and those with premium subscription accounts can use the search button to find them. That or google.

Anyway the KP trade. I will try not to insult Janis, not gonna talk about KP the player nor KP the person. I'll just say the sad truth. First off let's make it very clear that we could not keep him no matter what we did. No Way. Why is that you might ask? Well it's because it has been well documented that his camp threatened to sign only a one year qualifying offer and to become an UNRESTRICTED free agent. That was the blackmail attempt. It has only been done few times in the NBA history. Our front office was looking at losing him for absolutely zero assets. Quite a power card don't you think? Can you imagine what would happen in New York if we lost him for nothing? It would have been the absolute worst Knicks nightmare imaginable.

So what happened next? We all know the story. We got value in return. How much value ? It might seem like no one knows until KP comes back. If KP comes back healthy and returns to previous levels of play then ITS THE SAME VALUE AS IF HE NEVER PLAYS A GAME IN THE NBA AGAIN. Why? Because when he threatened to leave in FA we would have gotten nothing. What we got was the best deal available. How am I so sure? Because when you sell a car you sell it to the best bidder. Simple as that. So it's not that we got Randle and company for KP. We got Randle and company plus DSJ plus picks instead of getting nothing. Zip. Zero.

Everything you have ever wanted is on the other side of fear- George Adair
martin
USA
7/2/2019  5:17 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:
martin wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:

The assumption is Iggy would play here. He said no okay then move on. But I dunno, maybe he'd enjoy mentoring RJ.

To the main point: I would have prioritized pairing Randle with DRuss. We have some extra assets and he was an All Star last year and nearby. From what I read DRuss was able to influence his landing spot and GSW wanted him to trade him later. So my assumption is he was absolutely attainable and I think that duo would be enticing enough to get someone else to join. JJ Reddick seemed to move for peanuts. Maybe he really wanted to be in NOLA but he seemed gettable and we have no one that can shoot. Also, I know that this is all speculative but you are asking me to speculate

I am absolutely asking you to speculate. You named DRuss and JJ. No contract prices though. JJ got a 2 year deal and DRuss the max (puke).

You think JJ is an impact player? He just turned 35

SupremeCommander

7/2/2019  5:25 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/2/2019  5:30 PM
martin wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
martin wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:

I am absolutely asking you to speculate. You named DRuss and JJ. No contract prices though. JJ got a 2 year deal and DRuss the max (puke).

You think JJ is an impact player? He just turned 35

Why do I need to make contract values up when the market just proved itself? Why do you want me to pull numbers or of my ass? How about what they signed for plus a dollar?

Chandler
Member: #6197

7/2/2019  5:32 PM
There is no denying since day 1 of the post-Phil era both the FO and the owner talked about new culture, passing and D, and becoming a FA destination.

As Supreme said, this has been a massive wet fart. No sugar coating it.

(5)(5)
elmaestro33

7/2/2019  5:32 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/2/2019  5:32 PM
ramtour420 wrote:
elmaestro33 wrote:

KP, on the other hand, is as relevant as ever. A huge part of that trade was to create cap space/flexibility for two max deals this summer and we, as fans, were told to hold off judgement until free agency. I'm not saying it was the front office's fault for striking out (Durant injury) but they still took that gamble and it did NOT pay off. Now we're looking at FA again in two years when Hardaway, Lee, and Noah would have been off the books anyways. We can hope to suck again and build through the draft and maybe get lucky enough to find another KP. Point is that the KP trade was a massive failure and we essentially gave him up for pennies on the dollar and the tie to complain and judge the FO is now!

I didn't want to do this and this does deserve a separate thread in itself but the threads are there and those with premium subscription accounts can use the search button to find them. That or google.

Anyway the KP trade. I will try not to insult Janis, not gonna talk about KP the player nor KP the person. I'll just say the sad truth. First off let's make it very clear that we could not keep him no matter what we did. No Way. Why is that you might ask? Well it's because it has been well documented that his camp threatened to sign only a one year qualifying offer and to become an UNRESTRICTED free agent. That was the blackmail attempt. It has only been done few times in the NBA history. Our front office was looking at losing him for absolutely zero assets. Quite a power card don't you think? Can you imagine what would happen in New York if we lost him for nothing? It would have been the absolute worst Knicks nightmare imaginable.

So what happened next? We all know the story. We got value in return. How much value ? It might seem like no one knows until KP comes back. If KP comes back healthy and returns to previous levels of play then ITS THE SAME VALUE AS IF HE NEVER PLAYS A GAME IN THE NBA AGAIN. Why? Because when he threatened to leave in FA we would have gotten nothing. What we got was the best deal available. How am I so sure? Because when you sell a car you sell it to the best bidder. Simple as that. So it's not that we got Randle and company for KP. We got Randle and company plus DSJ plus picks instead of getting nothing. Zip. Zero.

When it came time to make that trade, it may have been the correct move. There are a whole load of events that led up to us being in that position with KP, it's just very unfortunate that Mills couldn't recover from the damage Phil had already done. It's unfair to look at the trade in the vacuum, sure, but the FO is at fault for all of the events leading up to the trade and the trade itself.

Dear Knicks Front Office

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy