[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Pelicans’ new draft plan could allow Ja Morant to fall to Knicks
Author Thread
jskinny35
Posts: 20353
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 6/27/2005
Member: #928
USA
6/20/2019  9:54 AM
Before the news of Ja's surgery I was even between RJ and Ja. Even though his surgery has him back in 4 weeks, it's meniscus-related which is often not a great sign for players that rely on athleticism long-term. Not saying he won't be back healthy and play well as a rookie and/or first few years... but a lot of guys that have meniscus surgeries end up having 2nd ones later in their career. RJ seems like a sure thing, he's healthy, seems built strongly and wants to be a Knick... really hope we get him!
AUTOADVERT
Chandler
Posts: 23430
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 11/26/2015
Member: #6197

6/20/2019  10:02 AM
jskinny35 wrote:Before the news of Ja's surgery I was even between RJ and Ja. Even though his surgery has him back in 4 weeks, it's meniscus-related which is often not a great sign for players that rely on athleticism long-term. Not saying he won't be back healthy and play well as a rookie and/or first few years... but a lot of guys that have meniscus surgeries end up having 2nd ones later in their career. RJ seems like a sure thing, he's healthy, seems built strongly and wants to be a Knick... really hope we get him!

I saw something that this surgery was characterized as "preventative". Does that change anything? I know nothing about these sort of injuries

Martin: Hezonja will be in the NBA next year. Martin was right; I was wrong. :-(
smackeddog
Posts: 34163
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 3/30/2005
Member: #883
6/20/2019  11:07 AM
Chandler wrote:
jskinny35 wrote:Before the news of Ja's surgery I was even between RJ and Ja. Even though his surgery has him back in 4 weeks, it's meniscus-related which is often not a great sign for players that rely on athleticism long-term. Not saying he won't be back healthy and play well as a rookie and/or first few years... but a lot of guys that have meniscus surgeries end up having 2nd ones later in their career. RJ seems like a sure thing, he's healthy, seems built strongly and wants to be a Knick... really hope we get him!

I saw something that this surgery was characterized as "preventative". Does that change anything? I know nothing about these sort of injuries

I think by preventative they meant that there was a very small loose body in the knee- if you leave those over time they can cause soreness and swelling. Remember Melo played with a loose body in his elbow for years

Chandler
Posts: 23430
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 11/26/2015
Member: #6197

6/20/2019  1:55 PM
smackeddog wrote:
Chandler wrote:
jskinny35 wrote:Before the news of Ja's surgery I was even between RJ and Ja. Even though his surgery has him back in 4 weeks, it's meniscus-related which is often not a great sign for players that rely on athleticism long-term. Not saying he won't be back healthy and play well as a rookie and/or first few years... but a lot of guys that have meniscus surgeries end up having 2nd ones later in their career. RJ seems like a sure thing, he's healthy, seems built strongly and wants to be a Knick... really hope we get him!

I saw something that this surgery was characterized as "preventative". Does that change anything? I know nothing about these sort of injuries

I think by preventative they meant that there was a very small loose body in the knee- if you leave those over time they can cause soreness and swelling. Remember Melo played with a loose body in his elbow for years

I have heard that for cartilage issue, didn't know about meniscus. thanks!

Martin: Hezonja will be in the NBA next year. Martin was right; I was wrong. :-(
Nalod
Posts: 57713
Alba Posts: 151
Joined: 12/24/2003
Member: #508
USA
6/20/2019  3:59 PM
Read he had collided and matter got loose. No big deal.
You don't show a fool a job half done!
HofstraBBall
Posts: 23218
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 11/21/2015
Member: #6192

6/20/2019  4:06 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/20/2019  4:22 PM
bigjeep8 wrote:I like Barrett over Ja, but we really can't go wrong!

I smell click bait with this story. NO will go with youth movememt and will probably try to unload Holiday. They will need a PG. They are not giving up assets to move up and take RJ....I hope.

Mills, the puppet master, Selling 2019. (Edited) 2021
TripleThreat
Posts: 22299
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 2/24/2012
Member: #3997

6/20/2019  5:07 PM
blkexec wrote:Looks like this NO trade will help us out either way.

If NO wants instant chemistry with Zion, they need RJ Barrett. Either they trade with Memphis to grab him and we get Morant.

or

They trade with us, with a PG in the package (Lonzo or Holiday) to grab RJ at 3....we get best player available at 4, plus a PG.

Looks like a win win for us....But this all depends on how bad NO wants RJ.


Pelicans need volume assets at this point. Meaning the volume it would take to get the 2nd or 3rd pick is too great of a long term cost. If they traded for the 2nd or 3rd pick, they'd have to give up assets that extend beyond this year, which goes against the point of trading AD in the first place.

It could happen, but it likely would not.

If you want chemistry with Zion, you need a Draymond Green, not a RJ Barrett. Green can hide a lot of potential flaws in Zion's early game, Barrett not so much.

At a latter stage in their careers, I think Chris Webber and Juwan Howard were able to play together. So they were in Fab Five together, who gives a ****. It doesn't turn them into a dynamic duo overnight. THJr and Burke played together in college. So what. We are also talking about some players NOT in the One And Done Era. Given the number of tournaments and training modules and events all year round, lots of these players have exposure to each other and have some "chemistry" with each other long before they make the pros.

"Should have paid Lin and rid ourselves of Melo. Lin makes every team better." - HofstraBBall 11/12/2018
CleaverGreene
Posts: 20171
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 5/16/2019
Member: #8756

6/20/2019  5:36 PM
TripleThreat wrote:
blkexec wrote:Looks like this NO trade will help us out either way.

If NO wants instant chemistry with Zion, they need RJ Barrett. Either they trade with Memphis to grab him and we get Morant.

or

They trade with us, with a PG in the package (Lonzo or Holiday) to grab RJ at 3....we get best player available at 4, plus a PG.

Looks like a win win for us....But this all depends on how bad NO wants RJ.


Pelicans need volume assets at this point. Meaning the volume it would take to get the 2nd or 3rd pick is too great of a long term cost. If they traded for the 2nd or 3rd pick, they'd have to give up assets that extend beyond this year, which goes against the point of trading AD in the first place.

It could happen, but it likely would not.

If you want chemistry with Zion, you need a Draymond Green, not a RJ Barrett. Green can hide a lot of potential flaws in Zion's early game, Barrett not so much.

At a latter stage in their careers, I think Chris Webber and Juwan Howard were able to play together. So they were in Fab Five together, who gives a ****. It doesn't turn them into a dynamic duo overnight. THJr and Burke played together in college. So what. We are also talking about some players NOT in the One And Done Era. Given the number of tournaments and training modules and events all year round, lots of these players have exposure to each other and have some "chemistry" with each other long before they make the pros.

Not sure Zion and a Draymond Green, or his "type" are a great fit together in a lineup. Neither guy will hit 30% from 3 and both are undersized PFs. Green can defend at SF, but offensively, he is an offensive liability at that position.

As a mentor, sure, Draymond would be great, but as a pairing for future success?

There are three classes of men; lovers of wisdom, lovers of honor, and lovers of gain. (Plato)
Pelicans’ new draft plan could allow Ja Morant to fall to Knicks

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.com All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.