[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Pelicans’ new draft plan could allow Ja Morant to fall to Knicks
Author Thread
bigjeep8
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3297

6/18/2019  8:44 AM
The Pelicans could still have a hand in the Knicks’ future.
Following the Anthony Davis trade with the Lakers, New Orleans holds the fourth pick in Thursday’s draft and is exploring all sorts of options.
According to an NBA source, New Orleans has explored moving back to gain more assets and also had internal talks about moving up to the second pick to take Memphis’ selection and draft RJ Barrett to team with his Duke compadre Zion Williamson. Barrett and Williamson are best friends.
That trade-up maneuver, however unlikely, would allow Murray State’s Ja Morant to fall to the Knicks at No. 3. The Knicks had Morant higher on their board than Barrett at the Chicago combine, but that also was before Morant recently underwent knee surgery.
According to an NBA executive who has spoken to the Knicks, president Steve Mills is locked in at keeping the third pick and delighted to take either Morant or Barrett, the 6-foot-7 Duke lefty swingman. While the Knicks were open to moving back after the lottery for a whopping offer, they are now comfortable staying put.

Barrett had a solid workout with the Knicks on June 10 and hit it off with coach David Fizdale in their latest meetings. The Knicks are impressed he wants to be in New York — as he has refused to work out for the Grizzlies.
“The Knicks have a good problem to have — Pick 3 in a three-man draft,” the NBA executive said. “They just have to wait and see.”
The Pelicans are still bathing in the glow of fleecing the Lakers out of six young assets — including three first-round picks — in exchange for Davis.
The Post reported Monday the Knicks never made a formal offer to New Orleans in the latest round of talks when GM David Griffin put Davis back on the block two weeks ago. The Knicks viewed the number of assets needed to be competitive as too severe for a player who is a free agent in 2020.
Although Davis’ agent, Rich Paul, had said the Knicks were a place he’d re-sign long-term, the Knicks knew there were no guarantees. In fact, recent history shows the potential fickleness as Kyrie Irving reportedly is intent on leaving Boston nine months after guaranteeing he’d re-sign.

Why the Knicks backed off their Anthony Davis pursuit
Knicks shooting guard Damyean Dotson, who had major shoulder surgery last month, made an appearance on MSG 150 Monday night and acknowledged the Knicks are still going to be young next season.

Even if they sign Kevin Durant, he is out for next season and there’s no clear indication of another max star coming. Dotson ended the season as starting shooting guard, though he could be supplanted if they draft Barrett with the third pick.
“Most importantly, it’s a young team this year — Kev [Kevin Knox], Allonzo [Trier], Mitchell [Robinson],’’ Dotson said, according to excerpts supplied by MSG Network. “Everybody will just get better this summer and work hard and focus on the small things that we need to do to get better, our defensive strategies, having better focus on defense. A lot of our games came down to defensive mistakes. It’s just getting better with our chemistry, coming together, getting smarter, IQ getting better, and guys keep learning.
“And for me, most importantly just get healthy of course. Also, I want to be a better defender, less defensive mistakes and just continue to get stronger, and my shot more consistent. There’s a lot I could go on but the most important one is getting healthy.”

https://nypost.com/2019/06/17/pelicans-new-draft-plan-could-allow-ja-morant-to-fall-to-knicks/

AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
6/18/2019  9:35 AM
“The Knicks have a good problem to have — Pick 3 in a three-man draft,” the NBA executive said. “They just have to wait and see.”
this is why you tank and why we did. Hopefully that tank yields a cornerstone player like it did the KP year.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/18/2019  10:10 AM
odds were we to draft 5 or 4th. That Zion math was a nice thought.
blkexec
Member: #748
6/18/2019  10:40 AM
Looks like this NO trade will help us out either way.

If NO wants instant chemistry with Zion, they need RJ Barrett. Either they trade with Memphis to grab him and we get Morant.

or

They trade with us, with a PG in the package (Lonzo or Holiday) to grab RJ at 3....we get best player available at 4, plus a PG.

Looks like a win win for us....But this all depends on how bad NO wants RJ.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
bigjeep8
Member: #3297

6/18/2019  10:45 AM
I like Barrett over Ja, but we really can't go wrong!
GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
6/18/2019  12:14 PM
I think NY gets a great player either way. Ja over RJ just because he willhave the ball more and is used to setting up his teammates AND getting his.
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
6/18/2019  12:23 PM
Man...Morant or Barrett is great but I wish we get RJ.
knicks1248
Member: #582
6/18/2019  12:24 PM
fishmike wrote:
this is why you tank and why we did. Hopefully that tank yields a cornerstone player like it did the KP year.

It's not just about grabbing a young potential star. You have to have to the right players (all stars) in place to help this kid out the gate.

From every scouting report and video I read and seen, Barret is a very competitive guy who wants to win at all cost( too much losing will not sit well with him, and he will get disgruntled) and he has a tendency to get tunnel vision like knox, trier, dsj.

When Zion went down, Barret played a lot of hero ball and was forcing a lot of BS. Ja is a past first player, he almost never forces the issue, and IMO, he sees the floor better than Trey young did.

With a coach like fiz who gives everyone the green light, the knicks should be doing whatever it takes to get JA, unless you are sure you have a some quality vets coming in. I would prefer Barett to be a 3rd or 4th option in his rookie yr

ES
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

6/18/2019  12:33 PM
bigjeep8 wrote:The Pelicans could still have a hand in the Knicks’ future.
Following the Anthony Davis trade with the Lakers, New Orleans holds the fourth pick in Thursday’s draft and is exploring all sorts of options.
According to an NBA source, New Orleans has explored moving back to gain more assets and also had internal talks about moving up to the second pick to take Memphis’ selection and draft RJ Barrett to team with his Duke compadre Zion Williamson. Barrett and Williamson are best friends.
That trade-up maneuver, however unlikely, would allow Murray State’s Ja Morant to fall to the Knicks at No. 3. The Knicks had Morant higher on their board than Barrett at the Chicago combine, but that also was before Morant recently underwent knee surgery.
According to an NBA executive who has spoken to the Knicks, president Steve Mills is locked in at keeping the third pick and delighted to take either Morant or Barrett, the 6-foot-7 Duke lefty swingman. While the Knicks were open to moving back after the lottery for a whopping offer, they are now comfortable staying put.

Barrett had a solid workout with the Knicks on June 10 and hit it off with coach David Fizdale in their latest meetings. The Knicks are impressed he wants to be in New York — as he has refused to work out for the Grizzlies.
The Pelicans are still bathing in the glow of fleecing the Lakers out of six young assets — including three first-round picks — in exchange for Davis.
The Post reported Monday the Knicks never made a formal offer to New Orleans in the latest round of talks when GM David Griffin put Davis back on the block two weeks ago. The Knicks viewed the number of assets needed to be competitive as too severe for a player who is a free agent in 2020.
Although Davis’ agent, Rich Paul, had said the Knicks were a place he’d re-sign long-term, the Knicks knew there were no guarantees. In fact, recent history shows the potential fickleness as Kyrie Irving reportedly is intent on leaving Boston nine months after guaranteeing he’d re-sign.

Why the Knicks backed off their Anthony Davis pursuit
Knicks shooting guard Damyean Dotson, who had major shoulder surgery last month, made an appearance on MSG 150 Monday night and acknowledged the Knicks are still going to be young next season.

Even if they sign Kevin Durant, he is out for next season and there’s no clear indication of another max star coming. Dotson ended the season as starting shooting guard, though he could be supplanted if they draft Barrett with the third pick.
“Most importantly, it’s a young team this year — Kev [Kevin Knox], Allonzo [Trier], Mitchell [Robinson],’’ Dotson said, according to excerpts supplied by MSG Network. “Everybody will just get better this summer and work hard and focus on the small things that we need to do to get better, our defensive strategies, having better focus on defense. A lot of our games came down to defensive mistakes. It’s just getting better with our chemistry, coming together, getting smarter, IQ getting better, and guys keep learning.
“And for me, most importantly just get healthy of course. Also, I want to be a better defender, less defensive mistakes and just continue to get stronger, and my shot more consistent. There’s a lot I could go on but the most important one is getting healthy.”

https://nypost.com/2019/06/17/pelicans-new-draft-plan-could-allow-ja-morant-to-fall-to-knicks/

Just another report throwing **** against the wall and hoping it sticks...I would be shocked if N.O trades the pick for anything other than a veteran/player that can help them now. Also, Memphis almost moved Conley last year, and are trying to move him now. I think the Griz are locked in on Ja.

smackeddog
Member: #883
6/18/2019  12:55 PM
blkexec wrote:Looks like this NO trade will help us out either way.

If NO wants instant chemistry with Zion, they need RJ Barrett. Either they trade with Memphis to grab him and we get Morant.

or

They trade with us, with a PG in the package (Lonzo or Holiday) to grab RJ at 3....we get best player available at 4, plus a PG.

Lonzo and Curver for RJ would be interesting to consider, but I think NO are more interested in trading for Beal or an established star rather than adding RJ- they seem to want to shift some of their haul to win now (personally I think they should keep their haul for now and build slowly)

Chandler
Member: #6197

6/18/2019  1:01 PM
smackeddog wrote:
blkexec wrote:Looks like this NO trade will help us out either way.

or

Lonzo and Curver for RJ would be interesting to consider, but I think NO are more interested in trading for Beal or an established star rather than adding RJ- they seem to want to shift some of their haul to win now (personally I think they should keep their haul for now and build slowly)

Good player but I don't see it working out that way. It would have to be for someone they thought was electric.

Right now everyone says -- with good reason to a large degree-- there's a top 3 and everyone else. If we have the eye for talent (not saying we do but if...) we could get value in a trade by knowing another player at that tier but devalued as just one of the next tier guys

My bet would be Garland if he can show them something in a tryout that blows their hair back

(5)(5)
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/18/2019  1:34 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
fishmike wrote:

It's not just about grabbing a young potential star. You have to have to the right players (all stars) in place to help this kid out the gate.

From every scouting report and video I read and seen, Barret is a very competitive guy who wants to win at all cost( too much losing will not sit well with him, and he will get disgruntled) and he has a tendency to get tunnel vision like knox, trier, dsj.

When Zion went down, Barret played a lot of hero ball and was forcing a lot of BS. Ja is a past first player, he almost never forces the issue, and IMO, he sees the floor better than Trey young did.

With a coach like fiz who gives everyone the green light, the knicks should be doing whatever it takes to get JA, unless you are sure you have a some quality vets coming in. I would prefer Barett to be a 3rd or 4th option in his rookie yr

There you go again with this open BS "Right guys" thing. We won 17 games last year, there are no "Right guys".
So.......maybe its about Barrett being the future all star to help the future guys out?

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

6/20/2019  12:25 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/20/2019  12:26 AM
With Conley to Utah, the only way I see Memphis trading the pick with the Pelicans is if they feel the same way about Garland and Morant. Would be happy to draft either one at 4. Have no idea if thats true. If it is true, I hope the Knicks draft Morant, if Barett is off the board. Morant plays more above the rim than Garland.
NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

6/20/2019  1:17 AM
GustavBahler wrote:With Conley to Utah, the only way I see Memphis trading the pick with the Pelicans is if they feel the same way about Garland and Morant. Would be happy to draft either one at 4. Have no idea if thats true. If it is true, I hope the Knicks draft Morant, if Barett is off the board. Morant plays more above the rim than Garland.

Depends on what the Pelicans are offering. If Lonzo Ball is involved in the deal, he's capable of being their new floor general. And because of his ability to move the ball and operate without it, I could see him being an exceedingly good fit next to a combo guard type like Garland or ball dominant type like Barrett.

I also know you're more of a Barrett fan but this team needs to finally get a guy that can get other players easier shots. We don't have that right now and I think it cultivates this iso-play that seems to predominate our offense. Morant is antidote to that culture, IMO, so I think we should get him even if it means giving up assets to do so. Besides, it seems to be exceedingly hard to build around ball dominant 2-men in this space-and-pace era. I think the Rockets are finding that out now with Harden and I doubt Barrett ever achieves that level of dominance (nor would I want him to).

smackeddog
Member: #883
6/20/2019  2:13 AM
This is just drama to sell papers, Griz wouldn't of traded conley unless they'd decided to stay at 2. We're getting RJ
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
6/20/2019  5:16 AM
smackeddog wrote:This is just drama to sell papers, Griz wouldn't of traded conley unless they'd decided to stay at 2. We're getting RJ

They were shopping Conley during the season, but it does make sense for them to draft Morant.

Knicks_Fan
Chandler
Member: #6197

6/20/2019  8:01 AM
smackeddog wrote:This is just drama to sell papers, Griz wouldn't of traded conley unless they'd decided to stay at 2. We're getting RJ

Fair point but it could go rj to Nola. Ja to Knicks. Garland (+ assets) to Memphis

(5)(5)
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
6/20/2019  8:02 AM

NO has a boat load of assets. It’s very possible they can come with an enticing offer if they really want RJ

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
blkexec
Member: #748
6/20/2019  8:19 AM
Chandler wrote:

Fair point but it could go rj to Nola. Ja to Knicks. Garland (+ assets) to Memphis

I think that's a very realistic plan for Memphis....Depending on the package they get from NO. Garland is projected to go 4th, after playing just 5 games in college. That should tell you hes a special player with similar upside to morant. It's like memphis getting a morant clone, with additional assets or picks.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
KNICKSBIGCATS
Member: #3745

6/20/2019  9:33 AM
I definitely would want Holiday over Lonzo
if there was an offer from the Pelicans to trade up and get RJB.
I'd avoid the Ball drama at all costs.
If the Pelicans want to team up Zion and RJB badly, I'd make them pay.
How about #3 and Frankie for #4 and Holiday and one of the Lakers picks?
With a true point guard in place, you then draft the BPA (3 and D) who is not a PG at #4.
Then you'd look to move DSJ for a future 1st tonight.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships." -Michael Jordan
Pelicans’ new draft plan could allow Ja Morant to fall to Knicks

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy