[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

How Committed Are the Grizzlies to Keeping No.2?
Author Thread
NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

6/17/2019  3:52 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/17/2019  3:55 PM
Obviously there is no way for us as outsiders to know for sure but they've historically been a team that has been averse to building through the draft or developing talent. Outside of Mike Conley Jr and Marc Gasol (as well as Rudy Gay depending on how you view his career), they've had a slew of lottery picks that were outright busts, who they quickly gave up on e.g. Xavier Henry, OJ Mayo, Hasheem Thabeet, etc. or first round picks that never made it past their rookie contracts e.g. Kyle Lowry, Jordan Adams, etc.

That history makes me wonder how wedded to the no.2 they are and whether we could trade for it. I know there a slew of folks that would object to giving up multiple assets for an unknown entity but I'm a believer in Ja Morant and would roll the dice. Could we make a real play at the pick/him if we gave up DSJr, Kevin Knox, Damyean Dotson, a pick swap for next year and maybe a middling first round pick (CHA?) in this draft that we could acquire by absorbing a bad contract? I'd even take Chandler Parson's contract into space, who had been a malcontent all last season and even demanded a trade at one point. Is that enough to get it done? And does Ja Morant fit with RJ Barrett?

AUTOADVERT
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
6/17/2019  4:11 PM
They’re rumored to be about to trade Conley to the jazz, so looks like they’re 100% locked on taking Ja with the 2nd
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
6/17/2019  4:32 PM
I like Barrett more than Morant. I know that's up for debate of course, but there are so close in terms of caliber of prospect that it wouldn't be worth giving something up to move up. Not a future pick, or whatever the cost. They are too close in terms of talent and i believe Barrett's style as a playmaking wing, and experience as an alpha are fit for the NBA and NY.
NardDogNation

6/17/2019  4:34 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/17/2019  4:36 PM
smackeddog wrote:They’re rumored to be about to trade Conley to the jazz, so looks like they’re 100% locked on taking Ja with the 2nd

They've been rumored to have had Conley on the block since last trade deadline, so I think the two situations are independent of one another. The reality of a Mike Conley Jr is that he's north of 30-years old and has had a history of achilles/lower leg injuries, which make him expendable to a rebuilding team. Morant or no-Morant, Conley was going to get traded this offseason.

I hope this isn't the homer-ism of being a Knick fan speaking but we can provide the Grizzlies with the "young up-and-coming" talent at PG with DSJr and a forward that was a balleyhooed talent in a deep draft, just last year. Could an argument be made that we'd be giving them better assets toward a rebuild?

NardDogNation

6/17/2019  4:42 PM
Knixkik wrote:I like Barrett more than Morant. I know that's up for debate of course, but there are so close in terms of caliber of prospect that it wouldn't be worth giving something up to move up. Not a future pick, or whatever the cost. They are too close in terms of talent and i believe Barrett's style as a playmaking wing, and experience as an alpha are fit for the NBA and NY.

In this thread, I'm not suggesting we give up on Barrett for Morant. I'm wondering if we have enough assets to pair them together. And if we can, how well would they fit together on the court?

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
6/17/2019  6:34 PM
The knicks have enough assets to trade up for him, so i ask myself, how high is Ja on the knicks board.

With DSJ already on board and no real SG on the roster,they probably going to hold their assets.

If the knicks can't get kemba, russel or Kyrie,what would that tell you?

ES
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
6/17/2019  7:14 PM
NardDogNation wrote:
Knixkik wrote:I like Barrett more than Morant. I know that's up for debate of course, but there are so close in terms of caliber of prospect that it wouldn't be worth giving something up to move up. Not a future pick, or whatever the cost. They are too close in terms of talent and i believe Barrett's style as a playmaking wing, and experience as an alpha are fit for the NBA and NY.

In this thread, I'm not suggesting we give up on Barrett for Morant. I'm wondering if we have enough assets to pair them together. And if we can, how well would they fit together on the court?

Sorry I misinterpreted that. That would be interesting. I don’t see us having the pieces though.

newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
6/18/2019  8:22 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/18/2019  8:23 AM
Rumor is NO is looking to move up to #2. Wonder if they would look to move Lonzo or if Memphis would have interest in Lonzo. Lonzo & #4 for #2 and probably another smaller asset.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
NardDogNation

6/18/2019  8:46 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/18/2019  8:47 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:Rumor is NO is looking to move up to #2. Wonder if they would look to move Lonzo or if Memphis would have interest in Lonzo. Lonzo & #4 for #2 and probably another smaller asset.

That's not bad. I actually think that Jrue Holiday-Zion-Ball trifecta would be extremely entertaining but it's only a matter of time before Holiday demands a trade. And between Lonzo and Morant, I think Morant will be the superior player long-term, so their presumed interest makes sense. And if the Grizzlies could walk away with Lonzo AND Culver AND assets, it'd be one hell of a haul for them.

Just out of curiosity though, do you think Morant and Barrett could play together?

Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
6/18/2019  10:11 AM
NardDogNation wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:Rumor is NO is looking to move up to #2. Wonder if they would look to move Lonzo or if Memphis would have interest in Lonzo. Lonzo & #4 for #2 and probably another smaller asset.

That's not bad. I actually think that Jrue Holiday-Zion-Ball trifecta would be extremely entertaining but it's only a matter of time before Holiday demands a trade. And between Lonzo and Morant, I think Morant will be the superior player long-term, so their presumed interest makes sense. And if the Grizzlies could walk away with Lonzo AND Culver AND assets, it'd be one hell of a haul for them.

Just out of curiosity though, do you think Morant and Barrett could play together?

I think they might be looking to draft RJ Barrett.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/18/2019  10:22 AM
I get that RJ and Zion are friends, but what on court magic was their to warrant this?
Barrett might be "Love the guy, phuck that, I want my place in the sun"! Can't blame him.
Barrett is looking at NYC right now and if he is an allstar talent he is going to be large in a city and team hungry for this.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
6/18/2019  10:27 AM
Nalod wrote:I get that RJ and Zion are friends, but what on court magic was their to warrant this?
Barrett might be "Love the guy, phuck that, I want my place in the sun"! Can't blame him.
Barrett is looking at NYC right now and if he is an allstar talent he is going to be large in a city and team hungry for this.

I understand that and I agree fully but there is definitely money in pairing those two together. I’m willing to bet that a lot of people are dying to see them drafted on the same team, whether it hinders their progress or not. I personally think Ball is a great point guard for Zion to work with. NOLA is good where they are.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
NardDogNation

6/18/2019  4:05 PM
Allanfan20 wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:

I think they might be looking to draft RJ Barrett.

I didn't even consider that. I made this post before the rumors officially broke but their interest in Barrett would make sense. I prefer Morant, so I'd love for them to make the move.

How Committed Are the Grizzlies to Keeping No.2?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy