Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
6/20/2019  1:48 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:
fishmike wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Chandler wrote:If we can't get max guys who play above max value, we should be focusing on draft alone OR WORST CASE short term deals

C'mon guys you know better. If we get some FAs to merely improve to .500 ball (which itself will be hard need +24) we'll be stuck with iffy draft picks. If we don't get to .500 then why bother with the FA and handcuffing our flexibility

We need to stay disciplined and avoid the temptation of mere improvement which really risks mediocrity.

you dont look at predicting wins and losses. You look at whether it makes sense to add guys and what that commitment will look like.
1) there should be no fear of slow progress hurting us in the draft. If we learned anything from this last draft its that tanking has huge perils. Of ALL the bottom teams we were the only ones who stayed high.

Middleton is a top 20 player, or very close. Randle could be a great short term look (2 years $40mm should get him). This is how you get better. You dont go from bad to good by staying flexible. You do it by adding talent.

I know folks differ wildly on this but people fall too in love with flexible.

Also- we...have....to...start...adding...players....who....play....defense! Nearly every player mentioned on these boards is a trash defender.

Randle is a trash defender for sure. What he is is a good scorer. High % and a decent ball mover. He's a bucket getter and a rebounder. I love him on the boards. Middleton is one of the league's top 10 defenders, top 5 if you take out the rim protectors. Middleton is a fantastic ball mover and passer. He's a guy who makes others better. He's a very high impact guy and worth making a $$$ commitment too. If he signed him it would immediately help our young guys and help them look better

so I thought about this a bit. I wouldn't be opposed to trying to develop more players but re-sing Jordan and signing Patrick Beverly. Just surround young guys by those two. Defense is really about culture and it really wouldn't be such a bad thing for anyone young and developmental to learn from guys like that. Not really a great offseason but neither of those guys would require a long term deal

the problem with Beverly is we have Frank and DSjr under cheap deals for 2 more years and Beverly is ****ty PG. He's a great defender but he's just not a very good floor general and gets hurt a lot. I get the idea and its not a bad one at all.. it just dont see it helping us enough.

Part of Randle's attraction (for me) is balance. We are looking at this roster:
PG DSjr, Frank
SG Dotson, Trier, Jenkins, Garrett
SF RJ
PF Knox
C Mitch, Luke

I am assuming we resign Kornet for peanuts. However we are incredibly weak at the Forwards and rebounding. RJ/Knox are getting destroyed at the 3/4 next year. We need some meat there and Randle would really fit a need, especially on the boards.

Certainly FA can alter things wildly, but if its an incremental build I do hope we have more structure and a slightly balanced roster

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
Chandler
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6197

6/20/2019  1:48 PM
smackeddog wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Chandler wrote:If we can't get max guys who play above max value, we should be focusing on draft alone OR WORST CASE short term deals

C'mon guys you know better. If we get some FAs to merely improve to .500 ball (which itself will be hard need +24) we'll be stuck with iffy draft picks. If we don't get to .500 then why bother with the FA and handcuffing our flexibility

We need to stay disciplined and avoid the temptation of mere improvement which really risks mediocrity.

you dont look at predicting wins and losses. You look at whether it makes sense to add guys and what that commitment will look like.
1) there should be no fear of slow progress hurting us in the draft. If we learned anything from this last draft its that tanking has huge perils. Of ALL the bottom teams we were the only ones who stayed high.

Middleton is a top 20 player, or very close. Randle could be a great short term look (2 years $40mm should get him). This is how you get better. You dont go from bad to good by staying flexible. You do it by adding talent.

Also- we...have....to...start...adding...players....who....play....defense! Nearly every player mentioned on these boards is a trash defender.

+100
Toronto just won based on defense, toughness, and a balanced offense (and Kawhi of course)

(5)(5)
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

6/20/2019  1:50 PM
martin wrote:
MooK wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
fishmike wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Randle is a trash defender for sure. What he is is a good scorer. High % and a decent ball mover. He's a bucket getter and a rebounder. I love him on the boards. Middleton is one of the league's top 10 defenders, top 5 if you take out the rim protectors. Middleton is a fantastic ball mover and passer. He's a guy who makes others better. He's a very high impact guy and worth making a $$$ commitment too. If he signed him it would immediately help our young guys and help them look better

so I thought about this a bit. I wouldn't be opposed to trying to develop more players but re-sing Jordan and signing Patrick Beverly. Just surround young guys by those two. Defense is really about culture and it really wouldn't be such a bad thing for anyone young and developmental to learn from guys like that. Not really a great offseason but neither of those guys would require a long term deal

I like this. Patrick Beverly would bring that fire! Teach these young dudes how to play with intensity on defense. Gimme DJ and bring Vonleh back. I like Randle but Noah gave us good defense and rebounding at a much lower price tag. His shot improved as well. I'd like to see if he can build on what he did last season...

Dont mind the idea of Beverly but one of DSJr/Frank would need to be moved and I like Kadeem Allen on the roster.

I have a feeling frank gets moved. He's never been given a fair shake IMHO because he got drafted to run the triangle and then poof

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
wargames
Member: #6053

6/21/2019  5:08 AM
I still think we end up with Randle and KD or Randle and DLo
The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
fishmike
USA
7/1/2019  6:08 PM
TheGame wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
TheGame wrote:Randall would be THJR all over again, i.e. Paying big money for a defensively challenged mid tier player. If we don't get KD or Leonard, then I say we only use our cap space to facilitate trades and acquire draft picks. Use this year to really see what we have in Knox, Trier, Dotson, Mitch, and Barrett

I think this is inaccurate. THJ has 1 13.5 PER for his career. Last year he was 13.6. When we signed him he was a 15.2, which is basically average.

Julius Randle has a career PER of 17.7. Last year he was a 21.0. Al Horford had a 20.2. Randle will be 25 years old. I think Randolph gets better.

I think this guy is a journeyman through no fault of his own. The Lakers jettisoned one all-star for LBJ, possibly two. The possible all star imho is getting jettisoned by a team that is gutting its roster two build around Zion. I think Julius Randle is a lot better than most are giving him credit for. Randle had 1.9 defensive win shares. By comparison, KP had DWS of 2.9, 2.1, and 1.8. Yes, injuries are a huge piece of that but Randolph is pretty available and healthy

I will give you this, Randall is a better player than Hardaway was when we signed him. I guess it really depends on how much Randall costs. If we can sign him for $15-$16 mill a year, then It would be a solid deal. If we have to pay him $23-$25 mill a year, I don't know that he is worth that much.

some funny comments in this thread! I am very happy about Randle. I think all the other guys are depth type adds to build culture and give the coach options etc etc...

I think Randle has a nice chance to breakout. As SC mentioned Randle's journey has had some turns that werent really on him. Starting with the fact that he was a regarded as a top recruit and top 3 pick before he broke his leg in college. You are already getting a highly eff% bucketmaker. Maybe he is a stop gap, but at 24 everyone of his #s were trending up and if his 3 point shot gets better this guy is an all star scorer. He's also an excellent rebounder and runs like a deer.

I am pretty happy with this grab. I feel like we got one of the better young emerging players on a very team friendly deal.

blkexec
Member: #748
7/1/2019  6:19 PM
fishmike wrote:
TheGame wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
TheGame wrote:Randall would be THJR all over again, i.e. Paying big money for a defensively challenged mid tier player. If we don't get KD or Leonard, then I say we only use our cap space to facilitate trades and acquire draft picks. Use this year to really see what we have in Knox, Trier, Dotson, Mitch, and Barrett

I think this is inaccurate. THJ has 1 13.5 PER for his career. Last year he was 13.6. When we signed him he was a 15.2, which is basically average.

Julius Randle has a career PER of 17.7. Last year he was a 21.0. Al Horford had a 20.2. Randle will be 25 years old. I think Randolph gets better.

I think this guy is a journeyman through no fault of his own. The Lakers jettisoned one all-star for LBJ, possibly two. The possible all star imho is getting jettisoned by a team that is gutting its roster two build around Zion. I think Julius Randle is a lot better than most are giving him credit for. Randle had 1.9 defensive win shares. By comparison, KP had DWS of 2.9, 2.1, and 1.8. Yes, injuries are a huge piece of that but Randolph is pretty available and healthy

I will give you this, Randall is a better player than Hardaway was when we signed him. I guess it really depends on how much Randall costs. If we can sign him for $15-$16 mill a year, then It would be a solid deal. If we have to pay him $23-$25 mill a year, I don't know that he is worth that much.

some funny comments in this thread! I am very happy about Randle. I think all the other guys are depth type adds to build culture and give the coach options etc etc...

I think Randle has a nice chance to breakout. As SC mentioned Randle's journey has had some turns that werent really on him. Starting with the fact that he was a regarded as a top recruit and top 3 pick before he broke his leg in college. You are already getting a highly eff% bucketmaker. Maybe he is a stop gap, but at 24 everyone of his #s were trending up and if his 3 point shot gets better this guy is an all star scorer. He's also an excellent rebounder and runs like a deer.

I am pretty happy with this grab. I feel like we got one of the better young emerging players on a very team friendly deal.

My comments still hold true....I like Randle and think he fits well next to Mitch on defense. But I think Portis fits better with Mitch for defense and offense, since hes turned into a stretch 4 type player....gives us two 7fters on defense and rebounding....porter has inside outside game, which opens the floor more than Randle.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
PresIke
Member: #33
USA
7/1/2019  6:20 PM
fishmike wrote:Randle is very mobile. Not the best from 3... last year was the first he really added the shot but he showed promise.
Nice handle for a big
Very good rebounder
Great in the open floor
Highly athletic
Ball mover
Turns 25 next year

Will be costly... this will likely require an investment.

Is he really highly athletic?

I think he's got athleticism, and it's clearly more than we had with Kanter, but he's not really an explosive player. It's the work rate/motor he has combined with his good level of athleticism and skill with the ball that is what stands out.

He also lacks wingspan so that's why he also doesn't really rack up the blocks.

That being said, I'm down with the signing and curious to see how he does with Mitch on the floor, especially.

Forum Po Po and #33 for a reason...
PresIke
Member: #33
USA
7/1/2019  6:24 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/1/2019  6:25 PM

He is more efficient on offense than THJ ever was and that's a key difference, including being less selfish and has a + assist/to ratio which is good sign for a 4.

He could be a decent defender, although while athletic, he's not super quick with his feet, so he will struggle against some hyper athletic 4's or savvy ones (Giannis will probably destroy us if he's guarding him).

The deal is short enough so it's fine. We'll see what happens.

Forum Po Po and #33 for a reason...
fishmike
USA
7/1/2019  6:45 PM
PresIke wrote:
fishmike wrote:Randle is very mobile. Not the best from 3... last year was the first he really added the shot but he showed promise.
Nice handle for a big
Very good rebounder
Great in the open floor
Highly athletic
Ball mover
Turns 25 next year

I think he's got athleticism, and it's clearly more than we had with Kanter, but he's not really an explosive player. It's the work rate/motor he has combined with his good level of athleticism and skill with the ball that is what stands out.

That being said, I'm down with the signing and curious to see how he does with Mitch on the floor, especially.

he's absolutely highly athletic. He shows a below the rim post game because so much of that scoring comes against slower centers who cant guard him in the post. He's not unlike a young Melo in that regard. He looks to bang against someone bigger and use that little separation to get his shot off. When you dont get in front of him he will destroy you with a dunk.
check out the 0:55 mark for example
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

7/2/2019  6:54 AM
Two bigs who can not shoot well from outside not a good plan in today's NBA
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
7/2/2019  8:16 AM
nyknickzingis wrote:Two bigs who can not shoot well from outside not a good plan in today's NBA

Good thing that Randle is expanding his range effectively while Robinson is still a project that has it on his agenda too.

Knicks_Fan
blkexec
Member: #748
7/2/2019  8:30 AM
Knicksfan wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:Two bigs who can not shoot well from outside not a good plan in today's NBA

Good thing that Randle is expanding his range effectively while Robinson is still a project that has it on his agenda too.

I worried about that too....but Portis helps next to Randle or Mitch, with his outside shooting.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
7/2/2019  10:35 AM
Portis, Randle, Robinson, Gibson is an upgrade over Kanter/DJ , Robinson, Kornet, Vonleh, IMO.

DJ did not look great in his NY stint. Very slow for todays game and nothing outside. Randle and Portis are mobile and can shoot from 3.

Randle looks good. He played well wehn AD and Cousins were out. He has ability.

CleaverGreene
Member: #8756

7/2/2019  1:04 PM
Knicksfan wrote:

Posted something on Twitter about whether Randle's sudden jump in 3 pt accuracy from 22-34% was because he played in a new system or because he has worked on his shooting.

Somebody responded that he had done a lot of work on shooting with his trainer Jordan Lawley in the off-season.

I like the Randle and Portis signings. Both young guys with some talent.

I liked Portis coming out of college and expect him to fill in at the 4 & 5 positions and play about 25MPG.

Have not watched Randle enough on the defensive end, but I know his reputation is not great. Is it about effort, or does he lack the quickness and/or toughness to be effective?

There are three classes of men; lovers of wisdom, lovers of honor, and lovers of gain. (Plato)
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
7/2/2019  1:15 PM
fishmike wrote:
PresIke wrote:
Nice handle for a big
Very good rebounder
Great in the open floor
Highly athletic
Ball mover
Turns 25 next year

he's absolutely highly athletic. He shows a below the rim post game because so much of that scoring comes against slower centers who cant guard him in the post. He's not unlike a young Melo in that regard. He looks to bang against someone bigger and use that little separation to get his shot off. When you dont get in front of him he will destroy you with a dunk.

Kinda looks like a very athletic ZBo. I like it.

smackeddog
Member: #883
7/2/2019  1:30 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/2/2019  1:31 PM
NYKBocker wrote:
fishmike wrote:
PresIke wrote:
Nice handle for a big
Very good rebounder
Great in the open floor
Highly athletic
Ball mover
Turns 25 next year

That's who he reminds me of- I used to like Zach a lot, but I'm not sure if a Zach-style player can prosper in todays NBA. I'll be rooting for him though, I do like his game on the offensive end (I do like that old-school play down low- reminds me of LJ with the spin moves too), even though his lack of d is a big worry (especially next to Knox, RJ and DSJ )

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
7/2/2019  3:07 PM
smackeddog wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
fishmike wrote:
PresIke wrote:
Nice handle for a big
Very good rebounder
Great in the open floor
Highly athletic
Ball mover
Turns 25 next year

That's who he reminds me of- I used to like Zach a lot, but I'm not sure if a Zach-style player can prosper in todays NBA. I'll be rooting for him though, I do like his game on the offensive end (I do like that old-school play down low- reminds me of LJ with the spin moves too), even though his lack of d is a big worry (especially next to Knox, RJ and DSJ )

That's why you need to start Mitchell Robinson and Frank. MRob protecting the rim and Frank hounding the ball will do wonders for team defense.

Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
7/2/2019  11:10 PM
Knicks_Fan
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
7/3/2019  12:22 AM
Randle's sort of like Zion without the absurd hops. Versatile guy. I think he'll open things up for RJ.

Oddly, much has been made about Randle having short arms. He measured at 6'9" in shoes with a 7' wingspan at the 2014 pre-draft combine. He's no KP, but he's also no T-rex. He has a 35.5" vertical leap. Like Zion he's a bit of a wide body guy, a little of Z Bo and perhaps Anthony Mason.

Zion's measurements listed on the internet are 6'7" height and 6'10" wingspan plus a 40" vertical. Of course, he didn't go through the combine measurement process so who knows how much of that is accurate.

Interestingly, when you look at his work with the Pelicans last season, you often get a glimpse of a two man game with Elfrid. We should see a more fluid offense this year with RJ/Randle as the focal points compared with last year's THJr/Kanter combo.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/3/2019  8:09 AM
I’d be curious to see what a healthy Hardaway looks like on a team he does not have to carry.
I know what I saw when he and KP were healthy. There were good games. There are many more with him flying solo and on a bad leg.
His salary was not the problem, it was the fact he was too often the first option.
Julius Randle would look REALLY good next to Mitch

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy