[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

whoa tyreke
Author Thread
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
5/17/2019  8:21 PM
Evans dismissed from NBA on drug policy violation.
The NBA announced Friday that guard Tyreke Evans has been dismissed and disqualified from the league for violating the terms of the NBA/National Basketball Players Association anti-drug program.

Under the program, he is eligible to apply for reinstatement in two years.

Evans, 29, played for the Indiana Pacers this season, averaging 10.2 points, 2.9 rebounds and 2.4 assists in 20.3 minutes per game. He was due to become a free agent this offseason.

The Pacers said they were informed Friday of Evans' discipline.

"We take these matters seriously and will reach out to Tyreke to offer our support," the team said in a statement.

Pacers general manager Kevin Pritchard declined further comment at the NBA draft combine in Chicago.

According to the NBA's guidelines, a player can be dismissed and disqualified from the league for testing positive for a drug of abuse, or if he is convicted of or pleads guilty to the use, possession or distribution of a drug of abuse.

Among players who have been banned under the policy, the most recent are O.J. Mayo and Chris Andersen. Others include Roy Tarpley, Richard Dumas, Micheal Ray Richardson, Lewis Lloyd, Duane Washington and Stanley Roberts, many of whom were eventually reinstated.

A player can be reinstated only with the approval of both the NBA and the players' association.

Evans has played 10 seasons in the NBA and was Rookie of the Year in 2010. He was drafted by the Sacramento Kings out of Memphis with the fourth overall pick in 2009. He has also played for the New Orleans Pelicans and the Memphis Grizzlies.

Evans sat out one game early in the season for violating team rules and issued an apology then for being late to practice. He also missed three games late in the year due to personal reasons and a respiratory infection.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26769841/tyreke-evans-disqualified-nba-2-years?platform=amp

AUTOADVERT
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
5/18/2019  2:22 AM
I do think the nba's drug policy is a bit draconian and out of date- `i can understand suspending someone multiple years for steroids etc, but recreational drugs etc would tend to indicate a problem, and the emphasis should be on treatment not punishment.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/18/2019  2:31 AM
Very few players have been suspended in its history which is very telling. I really can’t comment on this as there are no details as to the seriousness of the infraction. Chris Anderson was doing Heroine.
It might have saved his life. Sure there is testing for weed and then drugs like Coke that could kill you too.
You want players showing up to games high? I Think these guys have all kinds of support as long as they come forward.
blkexec
Member: #748
5/18/2019  3:48 AM
Nalod wrote:Very few players have been suspended in its history which is very telling. I really can’t comment on this as there are no details as to the seriousness of the infraction. Chris Anderson was doing Heroine.
It might have saved his life. Sure there is testing for weed and then drugs like Coke that could kill you too.
You want players showing up to games high? I Think these guys have all kinds of support as long as they come forward.

I'm not saying its right....but it's a double standard. There are several players in the HOF.....in all sports, that wouldnt be there if they wasnt high. And as long as the organization is making money from them, they turn a blind eye.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
5/18/2019  6:27 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/18/2019  6:27 AM
Hope he can get his life together. Addiction is very powerful.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/18/2019  7:46 AM
ITs not weed, its the bad stuff......
blkexec
Member: #748
5/18/2019  10:23 AM
Nalod wrote:ITs not weed, its the bad stuff......

Do you know for sure? And what's your definition of bad stuff? You can can OD on cough medicine....They call that LEAN.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
5/18/2019  10:48 AM
blkexec wrote:

Do you know for sure? And what's your definition of bad stuff? You can can OD on cough medicine....They call that LEAN.

Because half the league or more would test out. It’s the bad stuff

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
sidsanders
Member: #2426

5/18/2019  10:59 AM
from the cba: https://www.nba.com/media/CBA101_9.12.pdf
A. Prohibited Substances
The following substances are Prohibited Substances under the Program:amphetamine and its analogs, benzodiazepines, cocaine, GHB, keta-mine, LSD, opiates, and PCP (collectively, “Drugs of Abuse”); <snip>

F. Discipline
(1)Drugs of Abuse. If a player tests positive for a Drug of Abuse during Random Testing or Reasonable Cause Testing, he will be dismissed and disqualified from the NBA. <snip>

if he has no past violations (SPEDS, weed get you games), and has not been convicted of a drug charge, it must be a drug of abuse.

GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!!
smackeddog
5/18/2019  11:41 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/18/2019  11:42 AM
Allanfan20 wrote:Hope he can get his life together. Addiction is very powerful.

It is, and banning someone from doing their job for the arbitrary period of 2 years is a bizarre response- why not tie their return to adherence to a drug treatment plan? I think the nba should at least do some pondering over their response. priority should be the health and wellbeing of the player rather than punishing them.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
5/18/2019  11:48 AM
smackeddog wrote:

It is, and banning someone from doing their job for the arbitrary period of 2 years is a bizarre response- why not tie their return to adherence to a drug treatment plan? I think the nba should at least do some pondering over their response. priority should be the health and wellbeing of the player rather than punishing them.

without explicitly knowing I’m sure those things happen outside of the eyes of the rest of us. NBA is a business first and they gotta protect their product as a priority.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
wargames
Member: #6053

5/18/2019  7:29 PM
The internet says it was cocaine...... either way I hope he gets help.
The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
Allanfan20
USA
5/19/2019  6:04 AM
smackeddog wrote:

Yeah the 2 year rule is odd. With that said, you can’t force someone to get help. Only the addict can submit to the 12 steps of recovery and that’s by choice.

If he can’t help himself, then he might as well never return. If he can help himself, then he can probably return far sooner than 2 years, so long as he is consistently being proactive about fighting his addiction.

I wish him the best.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

5/19/2019  8:37 PM
smackeddog wrote:I do think the nba's drug policy is a bit draconian and out of date- `i can understand suspending someone multiple years for steroids etc, but recreational drugs etc would tend to indicate a problem, and the emphasis should be on treatment not punishment.

I'll tell you what my agent told me before I was drafted and what I was told during my Combine and what I was told all throughout my entire career and even after -

"If you are a professional athlete and you fail a drug test, you've really failed an IQ test."

The NBA in particular. The NBA has the most powerful union/collective bargaining if any of the major sports. You could argue MLB is quite powerful on the player side, but even the NBA will trump it because of the talent shortage based on height/athleticism mix dependency.

If you are an NBA player, you know when all your tests are coming.

If you fail them, you are a ****ing idiot. Period. End of story.

Side note, professional sports, the major ones in the US operate without government oversight. Uncle Sam got involved in MLB and the juicing era, but that was a total ****ing mess. Also no one wants to go there. In exchange, the leagues informally understand that they are not to take the role of trying to suggest long term/broad sweeping social policy reserved for the role of the government and the systems in place to manage that.

I think people really not understand the raw marketing impact of Jeremy Lin and Linsanity. It was a role model/hero that a gaggle of soccer moms could get behind. Clean. Wholesome. Good story. Polite. Christian. Non threatening. Said the right things. Humble. Do you think the league and Stern didn't have nightmares about Kobe Bryant, who they tried to build their marketing around for a while? Rapist. Screamed out slurs against homosexuals and got suspended for it. Cussed at reporters and was basically a high maintenance ******* his entire career. Coach killer. Shitty with the press.

The "mainstream" fan ( not the hardcore ones like on this site) are worth more money to the leagues. They don't want to root for rapist, drug abusers and *******s. The purpose of sports is, in part, ESCAPISM. You want to avoid real life sometimes. You don't want reminders of the ****ed up **** you see everyday anyway.

Kobe Bryant was a gigantic piece of ****. You can see gigantic pieces of **** at your job. Maybe in your home. With your neighbors. At your gym. You can't market that to the masses who create the revenue you need to survive.

Tyreke Evans is an idiot. Fuck him. His dumb **** makes life harder for every other professional athlete out there. No one is going to war with the government and try to break long standing understand agreements with how things have always worked because his dumb ass couldn't put down a crack pipe long enough to pass a ****ing test he knew was coming half a year in advance.

The problem is Evans is low IQ on a life scale and dumbass. And you want to make him some kind of martyr or some ****. How about putting down the ****ing crack pipe? Why aren't you telling Evans to do that? Is this culture so ****ing entitled that it's everyone else's fault Evans can't put down a mother****ing crack pipe?

smackeddog
5/20/2019  4:44 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/20/2019  4:44 AM
TripleThreat wrote:
smackeddog wrote:I do think the nba's drug policy is a bit draconian and out of date- `i can understand suspending someone multiple years for steroids etc, but recreational drugs etc would tend to indicate a problem, and the emphasis should be on treatment not punishment.

I'll tell you what my agent told me before I was drafted and what I was told during my Combine and what I was told all throughout my entire career and even after -

"If you are a professional athlete and you fail a drug test, you've really failed an IQ test."

The NBA in particular. The NBA has the most powerful union/collective bargaining if any of the major sports. You could argue MLB is quite powerful on the player side, but even the NBA will trump it because of the talent shortage based on height/athleticism mix dependency.

Side note, professional sports, the major ones in the US operate without government oversight. Uncle Sam got involved in MLB and the juicing era, but that was a total ****ing mess. Also no one wants to go there. In exchange, the leagues informally understand that they are not to take the role of trying to suggest long term/broad sweeping social policy reserved for the role of the government and the systems in place to manage that.

I think people really not understand the raw marketing impact of Jeremy Lin and Linsanity. It was a role model/hero that a gaggle of soccer moms could get behind. Clean. Wholesome. Good story. Polite. Christian. Non threatening. Said the right things. Humble. Do you think the league and Stern didn't have nightmares about Kobe Bryant, who they tried to build their marketing around for a while? Rapist. Screamed out slurs against homosexuals and got suspended for it. Cussed at reporters and was basically a high maintenance ******* his entire career. Coach killer. Shitty with the press.

The "mainstream" fan ( not the hardcore ones like on this site) are worth more money to the leagues. They don't want to root for rapist, drug abusers and *******s. The purpose of sports is, in part, ESCAPISM. You want to avoid real life sometimes. You don't want reminders of the ****ed up **** you see everyday anyway.

Kobe Bryant was a gigantic piece of ****. You can see gigantic pieces of **** at your job. Maybe in your home. With your neighbors. At your gym. You can't market that to the masses who create the revenue you need to survive.

Tyreke Evans is an idiot. Fuck him. His dumb **** makes life harder for every other professional athlete out there. No one is going to war with the government and try to break long standing understand agreements with how things have always worked because his dumb ass couldn't put down a crack pipe long enough to pass a ****ing test he knew was coming half a year in advance.

The problem is Evans is low IQ on a life scale and dumbass. And you want to make him some kind of martyr or some ****. How about putting down the ****ing crack pipe? Why aren't you telling Evans to do that? Is this culture so ****ing entitled that it's everyone else's fault Evans can't put down a mother****ing crack pipe?

I work with people struggling with substance misuse- it's nothing to do with intelligence, plenty of high IQ people have developed substance dependancy- once your addicted, objected, rational thought goes out the window

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
5/20/2019  8:14 AM
How many times has this happen before it came down to this happening, I know this is the first I'm hearing about drug abuse regarding tyre, and The article said nothing about previous warnings or suspension.
ES
Allanfan20
USA
5/20/2019  8:34 AM
smackeddog wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:

I work with people struggling with substance misuse- it's nothing to do with intelligence, plenty of high IQ people have developed substance dependancy- once your addicted, objected, rational thought goes out the window

Yup. It’s an emotional problem and it’s a tunnel-vision mindset. It’s sad and scary.

Sambakick
Member: #5646

5/21/2019  2:37 PM
martin wrote:
blkexec wrote:

Because half the league or more would test out. It’s the bad stuff

LOL I wouldn't call some of those drugs "bad stuff"

Everything in moderation. Even moderation.
Sambakick

5/21/2019  2:38 PM
The morality in our culture of out of whack.

If you agree a woman has the right to her body who the hell are you to limit what someone does to their mind?

Sambakick

5/21/2019  2:40 PM

YES. Thank you. Taking a guys livelihood away can just makes things worse and hurt those around him.

whoa tyreke

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy