[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Why are we not that excited to add RJ Barrett?
Author Thread
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
5/24/2019  11:38 PM
Begley has been awesome since he went to sny.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
AUTOADVERT
bigjeep8
Member: #3297

5/25/2019  9:10 AM
Bottom line, you can tank to the cows come home, we only had a 14% chance at Zion. We at least made the top 3 and should draft Barrett! Any other pick or trading down would be your typical dumb Knicks move.
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
5/25/2019  9:23 AM
CrushAlot wrote:Begley has been awesome since he went to sny.

Their games compliment each other very well outside looking in. Barrett is a bullish attacking playmaker. Knox is a finesse shooter(until he gets stronger. Knox can get clean looks off Barrett's playmaking. Knox can space the floor for Barrett's penetration.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
5/26/2019  11:50 AM
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
blkexec
Member: #748
5/27/2019  9:21 AM
Just to answer the question in the thread title..

Because we missed out on zion.

With no zion, everybody wouldve been excited about RJ.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/27/2019  9:41 AM
blkexec wrote:Just to answer the question in the thread title..

Zion cast a big shadow on Duke and NCAA draft prospects. Ja Morant would have have the hype and RJ might have avged 30 pts a game?
The NY fan is a funny duck, they want the starphuch summer with AD included. Not that we dictate the knicks process to both want that and complain about our past is weak. While AD, with KD and KI would be a formidable lineup the abilty to balance the team, make trades and still develop takes a huge dip. The stars get our attention but to win a chip you need to be 10-11 deep in the regular season, combat injury, manage minutes, and stay healthy. All while managing finances. 3 stars are great, but one has to be organically grown.

Why are we not excited? We starphuched ourselves out of it.
Fatigued by losing is no reason to prematurely cash in the chips.

Jmpasq
Member: #4182

5/28/2019  7:28 AM
Nalod wrote:
blkexec wrote:Just to answer the question in the thread title..

Zion cast a big shadow on Duke and NCAA draft prospects. Ja Morant would have have the hype and RJ might have avged 30 pts a game?
The NY fan is a funny duck, they want the starphuch summer with AD included. Not that we dictate the knicks process to both want that and complain about our past is weak. While AD, with KD and KI would be a formidable lineup the abilty to balance the team, make trades and still develop takes a huge dip. The stars get our attention but to win a chip you need to be 10-11 deep in the regular season, combat injury, manage minutes, and stay healthy. All while managing finances. 3 stars are great, but one has to be organically grown.

Why are we not excited? We starphuched ourselves out of it.
Fatigued by losing is no reason to prematurely cash in the chips.

I agree you need 1 star on a rookie deal. Knicks won't win with a 3 man team. They won't have enough spare parts to improve the team

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
5/28/2019  8:02 AM
I’m really excited at the prospects of Barrett. But I know the Knicks will “F” it up. Their development system has a lot to be desired and he will get ruined by the Knicks.
blkexec
Member: #748
5/28/2019  8:42 AM
Vmart wrote:I’m really excited at the prospects of Barrett. But I know the Knicks will “F” it up. Their development system has a lot to be desired and he will get ruined by the Knicks.

Well....I think RJ has as much confidence if not more than anybody in this draft. That's what you need to survive these ny fans and media.

AD, KD and Kyrie is an interesting combination of players. If Toronto can do it with 1 star, we should be playing for a chip every year. Since we havent won anything since 73, I'm ok with this direction

But what's even better and more meaningful is to win a chip with home grown talent. It's harder but very fulfilling if it can be done. Similar to GS, you add KD and Kyrie (or any 2nd star) to your home grown team of players lead by RJ and company.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
5/28/2019  9:39 AM
Vmart wrote:I’m really excited at the prospects of Barrett. But I know the Knicks will “F” it up. Their development system has a lot to be desired and he will get ruined by the Knicks.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

5/28/2019  10:05 AM
blkexec wrote:

Well....I think RJ has as much confidence if not more than anybody in this draft. That's what you need to survive these ny fans and media.

AD, KD and Kyrie is an interesting combination of players. If Toronto can do it with 1 star, we should be playing for a chip every year. Since we havent won anything since 73, I'm ok with this direction

But what's even better and more meaningful is to win a chip with home grown talent. It's harder but very fulfilling if it can be done. Similar to GS, you add KD and Kyrie (or any 2nd star) to your home grown team of players lead by RJ and company.

Correction...Toronto is winning with 1 of the top 3 players in the league. They are winning with a true MVP type talent, a game changer. We dont have that type of player on our roster, Barrett isn't that type of player, and a team has to be lucky, fortunate, shrewd, etc...

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
5/28/2019  10:13 AM
Uptown wrote:
blkexec wrote:

Correction...Toronto is winning with 1 of the top 3 players in the league. They are winning with a true MVP type talent, a game changer. We dont have that type of player on our roster, Barrett isn't that type of player, and a team has to be lucky, fortunate, shrewd, etc...

Pretty sure KD is the assumption and qualifies

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

5/28/2019  10:31 AM
last night I had a nightmare where I was watching ESPN and it went live with "RJ Barrett withdraws from NBA draft"
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
5/28/2019  10:36 AM
SupremeCommander wrote:last night I had a nightmare where I was watching ESPN and it went live with "RJ Barrett withdraws from NBA draft"

or Knicks not picking RJ

knickstorrents
Member: #3050
Hong Kong
5/28/2019  10:38 AM
It's because RJ Barrett is an empty stats guy. His main comparable is Demar Derozan (and that's if he pans out). That's not exciting to me.
Rose is not the answer.
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
5/28/2019  10:45 AM
knickstorrents wrote:It's because RJ Barrett is an empty stats guy. His main comparable is Demar Derozan (and that's if he pans out). That's not exciting to me.

Kinda hard to prove that with such a small sample size. Not saying you are wrong but you can't really make that conclusion with 1 year of college basketball. The only thing you can really judge right now is his skill set, measurable and eye test. Right now, he excels on all 3.

technomaster
Member: #426
USA
5/28/2019  11:40 AM
Bringing up a player like Kawhi (or Giannis for that matter) as "evidence" for anything (other than, perhaps, as justification for picking more of an unproven project like Cam Reddish or Nassir Little) doesn't really make a lot of sense.

Yeah, you ideally have an MVP-level talent driving your playoff runs, but when they were drafted, they were in no way projected to be this good. They're serious outliers - they didn't project as future NBA superstars/MVP-quality performers when they were drafted. They were "tools" sort of players.

The benefit of picking near the top of the draft is that you get to pick the "surest things". It doesn't mean they'll be NBA-ready or future superstars, but I think you'd definitely want to pick earlier rather than later.

A bit of a knock on Barrett by analysts and the media is that his game and physical maturity have peaked early - he was a man among boys late in HS - but Barrett still looked like a man among boys as a college freshman. I don't really understand why that's even a narrative here. The alternate spin on this is that he has excellent *realized* tools now, and with his proven work ethic and humble demeanor, you'd expect him to put in the work and get even better. He won't have to undergo a transformative development process to become a superstar like Kawhi/Giannis.

Leonard and Giannis are the flavors of the day - Leonard was nothing significant over his first 3 seasons. He had to be nudged quite hard by the coaching staff to play aggressively on offense.

In his final year of college at SDSU, his line was 15.5ppg, 10.6rpg, fg .444%, 3pt .291%, 2.5apg, 1.4bpg. NBA Draft.net compared him to Luc Mbah a Moute/Gerald Wallace.

Kind of entertaining reading his weaknesses (written in 2011):

Weaknesses: Does not have one aspect offensively that stands out or which allows him to consistently score the ball … With his size and frame, will almost certainly be a perimeter player at the next level, but he lacks the polish and skill necessary to consistently operate on the wing … He does not have break down ability off the dribble and he is especially shaky handling the ball with his left hand … His jumpshot (while definitely improved) is still very inconsistent … The release comes high off his head and it is somewhat of a sling motion, which results in a fairly flat shot that goes all over the place … At this level, he has a size advantage on almost a nightly basis, but he still chooses to take the majority of his shots from the outside … Takes a high number of off balance shots, but does not show the ability to convert them at a good percentage … He does not have a great touch around the basket, and unless he can get inside position on the defense, he struggles finishing when contested … Not very disciplined defensively, he gambles far too often and leaves his team susceptible to giving up easy baskets …"

Giannis was compared to Nic Batum.

Weaknesses: His level of competition is a big concern, because it makes judging his talent and current level very difficult. Without question he has a large basement to go with his large ceiling ... Despite his athletic abilities he lacks elite explosiveness ... He has to bulk up, working especially in the lower body since he’s definitely too skinny to face NBA opponents at the moment ... The concern is how to develop him correctly from the muscular standpoint, in order to avoid loss of speed and mobility (Boris Diaw) ... His game off the ball is rather weak, especially related to spacing and use of screens and cuts, in fact most of his offensive production happens with the ball in his hands ... The only exception is when he's slashing to the basket for put backs or on the break ... Plus he basically has no mid-range game, he tends to attack the rim without considering the option of the pull up jumper ... He shot 31.3 % from three point line this year, showing good potential, but he lacks consistency at this point, his mechanics seems unnatural and not fluent ... On the defensive side, he needs to learn the basis, since he’s beaten by the opponents due a lack of proper positioning and comprehension ... The overall impression is of a raw prospect from basketball comprehension standpoint, whose is based on instincts, talent, physical gifts and natural feel for the game. For this reason he needs to be tested at a higher level of competition than Greek second division, since his level of experience is definitely low.
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/28/2019  11:48 AM
Look at us. All hissy because we "deserve" Zion despite the 14% odds!
We wanted a transcendental generational player. Hype vs. fact of what Zion is. Really other than some commentary we don't really know what he is. He is a 6-7 daryl Dawkins with a handle! A dunk machine with explosive synergy. He is one hamstring tear away from oblivion. I wanted him too.

But "only Derozen"? What if we told you:

All-NBA Second Team: 2018
All-NBA Third Team: 2017
NBA All-Star: 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
NBA All-Star Rising Star: 2011
NBA Eastern Conference Player of the Month: April 2015, January 2016, January 2018
NBA Eastern Conference Player of the Week: December 7–13, 2015; November 7–13, 2016; December 12–18, 2016; January 9–15, 2017; March 20–26, 2017; November 13–19, 2017; December 18–24, 2017; January 1–7, 2018; February 26 – March 4, 2018

This was him. What did he not have? We all talk about it takes two stars. Kyle Lowrey is your wing man. It takes Three? Not in Toronto. Whats different this year? Lebron is out west. Yes, Kawhi is better.
DeRozen was not Kobe, not Michael and not Kawhi. If Barret is Derozen, and we build WITH him, then Im good.
Derozen with KD and KI? That's good.
Barrett is a rookie. It won't happen day one.
Might not happen at all.
The thing with knick fans is we think it all start and begins with one starphuch. No, I want Kevin to be an all star, Barret to be an allstar, DSjr to be an all star WITH KD and KI!!!! Not that all will, I just want our three!

If Zion is not Michael or Lebron, then what? He a bust?

Zion will be an allstar by hype alone.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
5/28/2019  11:58 AM
knickstorrents wrote:It's because RJ Barrett is an empty stats guy. His main comparable is Demar Derozan (and that's if he pans out). That's not exciting to me.

Barrett is 18 years old. How can he already be considered an empty stats guy? Just because he had big numbers at Duke and they didn't win a national title? And i have seen Harden comparisons just as much as DeRozan.

knickstorrents
Member: #3050
Hong Kong
5/28/2019  12:25 PM
Knixkik wrote:

Barrett is 18 years old. How can he already be considered an empty stats guy? Just because he had big numbers at Duke and they didn't win a national title? And i have seen Harden comparisons just as much as DeRozan.

He has good looking counting stats but he was inefficient, didn't see the open man, played out of control, etc. He has good physical tools and maybe he can be coached, but I'd rather trade down and get more lunch bucket tough guys (in the Montrezl Harrel mold) rather than showy scoring types who are inefficient.

Rose is not the answer.
Why are we not that excited to add RJ Barrett?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy