[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Why are we not that excited to add RJ Barrett?
Author Thread
Kemet
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6148

5/18/2019  5:34 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
Uptown wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
Uptown wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Uptown wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:to be clear, I am ****ing stoked. Okay? I AM FUCKING STOKED. Coming into the year, he was the consensus #1 overall. Yes, Zion is better. But Zion was so great that maybe it was kinda hard to defer. I think Cam Reddish will be a much better pro than his season this year too. These are guys used to being #1s. They both deferred but I'm suggesting that that isn't always so easy.

I'm in this camp....RJ put up 23 pts, 7 rbs and 4 ast as a freshman!!! To put that in perspective, D Wade put up similar numbers as a senior! I'm ecstatic Barrett is a strong possibility!!!

Wade didn't play four years, but he has older than RJ going into his rookie year. Also, he was a heckuva lot more efficient than RJ in college. Those stats have to be taken with a grain of salt. If anything, RJs counting stats look more like Melo's, minus the assists. That's still good, but I'm not sure how that will translate for him. He's a good prospect, but my expectations are tempered.

My bad, meant to say Sophomore...I corrected it. With that said, why does Barretts stats need to be taken with a grain a salt?! His numbers are better than Reddish, Culver's freshman year, Langford, etc.

When I look at a prospect, I like to think about where that guy could be by the time his rookie contract is up. I loved watching Wade... I watched his NCAA and the NBA draft with my Bulls fan fraternity brother because well getting drunk and eating pizza on the couch is what you do in a fraternity... and he almost snapped when they missed out on Wade. That was their Steph Curry moment. Everyone who paid attention knew Wade was going to be good. Why did I bring all that info up? Well, because I am probably more excited to draft Barrett than Vik was to possibly draft Wade, or that I was on the possibility of drafting Steph. I'm not saying it's guaranteed RJ is going to be a stud but the best-case development scenario is friggin enticing as hell

Agreed...I dont think he'll be as good as Wade (Wade is arguably the 3rd best SG of all time), but I do think we drafted a possible all star player....Dude is a Dawg and I love it!!! He plays with so much energy and emotion and ain't scared of the moment. These are things you can't teach.

Agreed. I know Zion got the big hype the past 6 months and deservedly so but RJ was considered the top prospect for awhile. It might end up being a blessing in disguise that he fell to 3

A super-super BLESSING in disguise .. I still don't believe it till draft night is over !!!

AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/19/2019  9:58 AM
Kemet wrote:
Uptown wrote:
Kemet wrote:
Knicksfan wrote:There is an aspect of RJ Barrett that not many are paying attention to because most are overwhelmed with the Zion hype and the Morant high expectations:

RJ's attitude is exactly what you want in a talented budding star: the confidence, the arrogance, the hunger and the desire to be the top dog. This guy will translate into a fan favorite at MSG. He can distribute the ball, come up with huge defensive plays and get the big rebound while playing with a swagger that fans crave in their stars.

I have a feeling that after the draft, when all is said and done and games start to be played, RJ will be huge in NY.

It's hard for me to believe a wise organization Memphis Grizz are not going to select a consistent all-around performing player having potential to perform at 3 position, which put Barrett high on the NBA chart to be selected as the first or 2nd draft pick in early November/December. It doesn't make sense.

If the Knicks are lucky to get RJ Barrett in the draft, they better not trade him!
The Knicks don't need any more young core guards added to their roster (Ja Morant) .. The Knicks guard rotation are in dire need of 2 experience veteran starter guard in the Knicks rotation .. Klay Butler Beverley Reddick. Don't add no LOSERS like Kyrie or Kemba! Plus the Knicks need to hire another assistant coach in the offseason (Jason Kidd) to keep Barrett improving his all-around performance.

You aint very informed! You say we dont need losers like Kyrie yet he has a ring, but we need winners like Reddick who ain't win ****? Also, J Kidd already has a job so there goes your plan of adding a former spouse abuser to the staff...after what went down during Anuchagate, we do not need that kind of press..

Saying Kyrie has a chip is the same as saying ex-Knick Shumpert & Smith has a chip.
If Kyrie was still a Cav this past 2018-19 season the Cavs still would have had a 19 win season.
Reddick has been a complimentary teammate on all his teams, having a very high B.ball IQ that's 10 times better than Kyrie as a team-baller.
The Knicks don't need any more selfish shoot-first PG leading the point for 30+ minute per game.
I wrote Jason Kidd name down as an example of having a great asset to have on the staff as a winning assistant-coach ready to take over the ship, yeah I could have mention Mark Jackson or Greg Anthony.
Recall .. the GS Warriors GM/Coach Kerr hired head-coach Gentry as his assistant-head-coach to win a chip.
And the worst press to have are having two 17 win season in the past 4 seasons.
RJ Barrett Freshman performance at Duke showed he are capable of being a Knick starter over the PG, SG, and SF we had on the court this past season !!!

Kidd has not served as assist coach yet. His personality caused two flameouts and he has to now do work to restore his reputation if his ambitions are to be fulfilled again. Guys like Gentry and Woodson helped Kerr’s technical weakness as a coach as he too was inexperienced in that role. Kidd had good leadership qualities but as a head coach had problems.

Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

5/19/2019  10:04 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/19/2019  10:09 AM
Kemet wrote:
Uptown wrote:
Kemet wrote:
Knicksfan wrote:There is an aspect of RJ Barrett that not many are paying attention to because most are overwhelmed with the Zion hype and the Morant high expectations:

RJ's attitude is exactly what you want in a talented budding star: the confidence, the arrogance, the hunger and the desire to be the top dog. This guy will translate into a fan favorite at MSG. He can distribute the ball, come up with huge defensive plays and get the big rebound while playing with a swagger that fans crave in their stars.

I have a feeling that after the draft, when all is said and done and games start to be played, RJ will be huge in NY.

It's hard for me to believe a wise organization Memphis Grizz are not going to select a consistent all-around performing player having potential to perform at 3 position, which put Barrett high on the NBA chart to be selected as the first or 2nd draft pick in early November/December. It doesn't make sense.

If the Knicks are lucky to get RJ Barrett in the draft, they better not trade him!
The Knicks don't need any more young core guards added to their roster (Ja Morant) .. The Knicks guard rotation are in dire need of 2 experience veteran starter guard in the Knicks rotation .. Klay Butler Beverley Reddick. Don't add no LOSERS like Kyrie or Kemba! Plus the Knicks need to hire another assistant coach in the offseason (Jason Kidd) to keep Barrett improving his all-around performance.

You aint very informed! You say we dont need losers like Kyrie yet he has a ring, but we need winners like Reddick who ain't win ****? Also, J Kidd already has a job so there goes your plan of adding a former spouse abuser to the staff...after what went down during Anuchagate, we do not need that kind of press..

Saying Kyrie has a chip is the same as saying ex-Knick Shumpert & Smith has a chip.
If Kyrie was still a Cav this past 2018-19 season the Cavs still would have had a 19 win season.
Reddick has been a complimentary teammate on all his teams, having a very high B.ball IQ that's 10 times better than Kyrie as a team-baller.
The Knicks don't need any more selfish shoot-first PG leading the point for 30+ minute per game.
I wrote Jason Kidd name down as an example of having a great asset to have on the staff as a winning assistant-coach ready to take over the ship, yeah I could have mention Mark Jackson or Greg Anthony.
Recall .. the GS Warriors GM/Coach Kerr hired head-coach Gentry as his assistant-head-coach to win a chip.
And the worst press to have are having two 17 win season in the past 4 seasons.
RJ Barrett Freshman performance at Duke showed he are capable of being a Knick starter over the PG, SG, and SF we had on the court this past season !!!

The bold is a dumb statement! Kyrie averaged 30 pts over the last 3 games in that series and hit the greatest shot in Cleveland history! He could have easily been Co finals MVP with best player on the planet and you are comparing him to JR and ****ing Shumpert! If you truly believe this then there is no sense in trying to have a serious basketball convo with you!

Uptown

5/19/2019  10:08 AM
Panos wrote:
Uptown wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
Uptown wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Uptown wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:to be clear, I am ****ing stoked. Okay? I AM FUCKING STOKED. Coming into the year, he was the consensus #1 overall. Yes, Zion is better. But Zion was so great that maybe it was kinda hard to defer. I think Cam Reddish will be a much better pro than his season this year too. These are guys used to being #1s. They both deferred but I'm suggesting that that isn't always so easy.
I'm in this camp....RJ put up 23 pts, 7 rbs and 4 ast as a freshman!!! To put that in perspective, D Wade put up similar numbers as a senior! I'm ecstatic Barrett is a strong possibility!!!

Wade didn't play four years, but he has older than RJ going into his rookie year. Also, he was a heckuva lot more efficient than RJ in college. Those stats have to be taken with a grain of salt. If anything, RJs counting stats look more like Melo's, minus the assists. That's still good, but I'm not sure how that will translate for him. He's a good prospect, but my expectations are tempered.

My bad, meant to say Sophomore...I corrected it. With that said, why does Barretts stats need to be taken with a grain a salt?! His numbers are better than Reddish, Culver's freshman year, Langford, etc.
When I look at a prospect, I like to think about where that guy could be by the time his rookie contract is up. I loved watching Wade... I watched his NCAA and the NBA draft with my Bulls fan fraternity brother because well getting drunk and eating pizza on the couch is what you do in a fraternity... and he almost snapped when they missed out on Wade. That was their Steph Curry moment. Everyone who paid attention knew Wade was going to be good. Why did I bring all that info up? Well, because I am probably more excited to draft Barrett than Vik was to possibly draft Wade, or that I was on the possibility of drafting Steph. I'm not saying it's guaranteed RJ is going to be a stud but the best-case development scenario is friggin enticing as hell
Agreed...I dont think he'll be as good as Wade (Wade is arguably the 3rd best SG of all time), but I do think we drafted a possible all star player....Dude is a Dawg and I love it!!! He plays with so much energy and emotion and ain't scared of the moment. These are things you can't teach.

Arguably third best? I'd bet lower than that. Who are your two better SGs?

Other than Jordan and Kobe, you could argue Wade is just as good if not better than any other 2 guard you can name, especially when you consider both sides of the ball. Wade's performance in the 2006 finals was Jordan like. Kobe never had a finals performance like that.

Either way, throw up some names and let's debate.

Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
5/19/2019  11:16 AM
Uptown wrote:
Panos wrote:
Uptown wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
Uptown wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Uptown wrote:

Other than Jordan and Kobe, you could argue Wade is just as good if not better than any other 2 guard you can name, especially when you consider both sides of the ball. Wade's performance in the 2006 finals was Jordan like. Kobe never had a finals performance like that.

i’d put dwade behind jordan, west and kobe and tied with sam jones.

Uptown

5/19/2019  12:05 PM
Marv wrote:
Uptown wrote:
Panos wrote:
Uptown wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
Uptown wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Uptown wrote:

Never saw West or Jones (except for highlights of course) so its difficult to argue either way. Wade does have 3 rings and finals MVP so that has to help on his side of the argument. Defensively, Wade leads all SG's in shot blocking...before his body started breaking down, Wade was a high level defender....It seems as if you seen West and Jones, so I'll ask, how does either of those guys compare to Wade on the defensive end?

Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
5/19/2019  12:42 PM
Uptown wrote:
Marv wrote:
Uptown wrote:
Panos wrote:
Uptown wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
Uptown wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Uptown wrote:

Never saw West or Jones (except for highlights of course) so its difficult to argue either way. Wade does have 3 rings and finals MVP so that has to help on his side of the argument. Defensively, Wade leads all SG's in shot blocking...before his body started breaking down, Wade was a high level defender....It seems as if you seen West and Jones, so I'll ask, how does either of those guys compare to Wade on the defensive end?

i grew up outside boston in the 60’s so saw sam play many times. btw they had nba doubleheaders regularly in arenas back then. sam jones was a good defensive player but i don’t remember him being particularly well-known for that end of the court. just looked it up and he was Top 10 in the league in defensive win-shares 6 times, so he must have beeen better there than i remember. West was a great defensive player, always took on the strongest opposing guard and was well-known for his D.

Btw i forgot about havlicek because he played forward as much as he played guatd. He was also a better sg than wade in my book. and a fantastic defensive player.

Uptown

5/19/2019  3:39 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/19/2019  3:41 PM
Marv wrote:
Uptown wrote:
Marv wrote:
Uptown wrote:
Panos wrote:
Uptown wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
Uptown wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Uptown wrote:

i grew up outside boston in the 60’s so saw sam play many times. btw they had nba doubleheaders regularly in arenas back then. sam jones was a good defensive player but i don’t remember him being particularly well-known for that end of the court. just looked it up and he was Top 10 in the league in defensive win-shares 6 times, so he must have beeen better there than i remember. West was a great defensive player, always took on the strongest opposing guard and was well-known for his D.

Btw i forgot about havlicek because he played forward as much as he played guatd. He was also a better sg than wade in my book. and a fantastic defensive player.

Obviously, it's difficult to compare players from different eras...with that said, I think we can both agree that Wade had to defend and compete against far superior athletes than Jones and Havlicek did...Jordan ushered in the above the rim era which was a different era of ball...I still got Wade as 3 behind Kobe and Jordan...but I ain't mad at someone placing West ahead of Wade.

saw lots of video on Hondo, but the one that stands out is him stealing the ball and dribbling out the clock with one hand as if his left hand was broke or useless

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

5/19/2019  4:30 PM
Uptown wrote:
Marv wrote:
Uptown wrote:
Marv wrote:
Uptown wrote:
Panos wrote:
Uptown wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
Uptown wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Uptown wrote:

Obviously, it's difficult to compare players from different eras...with that said, I think we can both agree that Wade had to defend and compete against far superior athletes than Jones and Havlicek did...Jordan ushered in the above the rim era which was a different era of ball...I still got Wade as 3 behind Kobe and Jordan...but I ain't mad at someone placing West ahead of Wade.

saw lots of video on Hondo, but the one that stands out is him stealing the ball and dribbling out the clock with one hand as if his left hand was broke or useless

Looking at the numbers, I think Wade has a legit case for being labeled #2, behind Jordan. If you want to argue he's a few ranks lower, I have no problem with that. But no lower than #5. I'll also add that McGrady's 2002-2003 season is probably one the best individual seasons I ever witnessed from a shooting guard.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Panos
Member: #520
5/19/2019  4:58 PM
Marv wrote:
Uptown wrote:
Panos wrote:
Uptown wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
Uptown wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Uptown wrote:

id put dwade behind jordan, west and kobe and tied with sam jones.

Dwade Wade also played on stacked teams. He played with Shaq, the most dominant player in his era, and Lebron also the most dominant in his era.

Allen Iverson carried a bunch of role players to the finals on his back. At 5'11".

Funny, i thought I'd come up with more names, but i guess you're right that at worst he is top 6.

You argue that he competed in a tougher era, but I'd say the 80's and 90's were tougher eras.
I would love to see Wade against Starks or Latrell.

Panos
Member: #520
5/19/2019  4:59 PM
(And also Mourning and Hardaway... Stacked.)
Uptown

5/19/2019  5:58 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/19/2019  6:00 PM
Panos wrote:
Marv wrote:
Uptown wrote:
Panos wrote:
Uptown wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
Uptown wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Uptown wrote:

id put dwade behind jordan, west and kobe and tied with sam jones.

Dwade Wade also played on stacked teams. He played with Shaq, the most dominant player in his era, and Lebron also the most dominant in his era.

Allen Iverson carried a bunch of role players to the finals on his back. At 5'11".

Funny, i thought I'd come up with more names, but i guess you're right that at worst he is top 6.

You argue that he competed in a tougher era, but I'd say the 80's and 90's were tougher eras.
I would love to see Wade against Starks or Latrell.

Shaq in Miami wasnt the same dominant Shaq that 3 peated in LA...speaking of stacked, West played with Wilt and Elgin and Hondo and Jones played with Russell and those stacked Celtics teams...

Ain't no way Wade is as low as 6...I got him at 3! You can argue West is right there too, but let's no forget how great Wade was before Lebron joined the Heat and he sacrificed his game for more rings.

Uptown

5/19/2019  5:59 PM
Panos wrote:(And also Mourning and Hardaway... Stacked.)

Wade never played with Morning and Hardaway..not sure of the purpose of this post

Uptown

5/19/2019  6:04 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Uptown wrote:
Marv wrote:
Uptown wrote:
Marv wrote:
Uptown wrote:
Panos wrote:
Uptown wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
Uptown wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Uptown wrote:

Looking at the numbers, I think Wade has a legit case for being labeled #2, behind Jordan. If you want to argue he's a few ranks lower, I have no problem with that. But no lower than #5. I'll also add that McGrady's 2002-2003 season is probably one the best individual seasons I ever witnessed from a shooting guard.

I personally like Wade more than Kobe, but Kobe was better...if not for injuries, McGrady would have been in the convo for top 5 SGs of all time...his argument would hold more weight if he could have advanced his teams deeper in the playoffs.

technomaster
Member: #426
USA
5/20/2019  12:47 AM
How does RJ compare with Justise Winslow pre-draft?

Winslow led Duke to a title with Okafor.
RJ and Williamson couldn’t get it done.

At least based on the scouting reports they have similar size and measurements, but scouts seemed to consider Winslow a truly elite athlete and Barrett as not quite. Both have similar suspect shots.

Curious if Coach K was ever asked to compare them.

In the NBA, Winslow is a rotation guy, but has yet to truly establish himself as reliable starter material.

His draft mate, 2nd Rounder Josh Richardson has stolen the thunder (and the ball) away from him, establishing himself as more of a go-to-player at the same position, as some articles explain, because he’s a more reliable perimeter shooter.

NBADraft.net gave Winslow a 97 grade (James Harden/Wilson Chandler comp), RJ a 96 (Danny Granger comp).

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
5/20/2019  4:13 AM
technomaster wrote:How does RJ compare with Justise Winslow pre-draft?

Winslow led Duke to a title with Okafor.
RJ and Williamson couldn’t get it done.

At least based on the scouting reports they have similar size and measurements, but scouts seemed to consider Winslow a truly elite athlete and Barrett as not quite. Both have similar suspect shots.

Curious if Coach K was ever asked to compare them.

In the NBA, Winslow is a rotation guy, but has yet to truly establish himself as reliable starter material.

His draft mate, 2nd Rounder Josh Richardson has stolen the thunder (and the ball) away from him, establishing himself as more of a go-to-player at the same position, as some articles explain, because he’s a more reliable perimeter shooter.

NBADraft.net gave Winslow a 97 grade (James Harden/Wilson Chandler comp), RJ a 96 (Danny Granger comp).

RJ averaged nearly twice as many points and assists. No comparison really. Rj was a college superstar in his one year and Winslow more of a high level role player.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/20/2019  6:26 AM
Non championship but top flight: George Gervin? Alex English? Reggie Miller?
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

5/20/2019  4:16 PM
Nalod wrote:Non championship but top flight: George Gervin? Alex English? Reggie Miller?

Mitch Richmond deserves some love - he was a great SG that played on absolute **** teams

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

5/20/2019  4:20 PM
also, that Clyde Drexler wasn't mentioned should constitute crimes against humanity
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

5/20/2019  4:56 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:also, that Clyde Drexler wasn't mentioned should constitute crimes against humanity

I thought about Clyde, but I still have Jordan, Wade, Kobe, West ahead of him. Also you have guys like Elgin, Reggie(who I believe is overrated), Earl, Pistol, Gervin etc. who can make compelling arguments for being in the top 5.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Why are we not that excited to add RJ Barrett?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy