[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Why are we not that excited to add RJ Barrett?
Author Thread
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
5/17/2019  12:24 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
smackeddog wrote:http://www.ultimateknicks.com/forum/topic.asp?t=59096&page=1

We are, though I admit I'm dampening my excitement until we know if we're keeping the pick or trading it.

Im at the point where It's like, you really can't lose either way. If you trade the pick, your going to get a very good young player entering his prime. If you keep him, he is a perfect fit for fizdales positionless basketball.

On the pelican side, AD wants out, he will only resign with the Knicks and Lakers, getting RJ and zion in the same draft jump starts your rebuild by leaps and bounds..you're get the 2 best players coming out of college in the last 5 yrs on control contracts..no brainer

Agree with this. Think this is a big possibility. Knicks and most FO's know there are few opportunities to add a player like AD. Just hope we would not have to include the kitchen sink.

Tough choice as I really like RJ. IF the Knicks are thinking they would pick someone like Garland, then I hope they trade the pick for AD.

From the Pelicans standpoint, would it make sense to pair RJ with Zion if he showed he wasn't as effective playing with him in college? I don't know the answer, just throwing it out there.

I'm not sure i'm following you here, I thought they played well together, they're roommates, and are pretty good friends who aren't the least bit jealous of each other

ES
AUTOADVERT
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

5/17/2019  12:46 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

We are, though I admit I'm dampening my excitement until we know if we're keeping the pick or trading it.

Im at the point where It's like, you really can't lose either way. If you trade the pick, your going to get a very good young player entering his prime. If you keep him, he is a perfect fit for fizdales positionless basketball.

On the pelican side, AD wants out, he will only resign with the Knicks and Lakers, getting RJ and zion in the same draft jump starts your rebuild by leaps and bounds..you're get the 2 best players coming out of college in the last 5 yrs on control contracts..no brainer

Agree with this. Think this is a big possibility. Knicks and most FO's know there are few opportunities to add a player like AD. Just hope we would not have to include the kitchen sink.

Tough choice as I really like RJ. IF the Knicks are thinking they would pick someone like Garland, then I hope they trade the pick for AD.

From the Pelicans standpoint, would it make sense to pair RJ with Zion if he showed he wasn't as effective playing with him in college? I don't know the answer, just throwing it out there.

I'm not sure i'm following you here, I thought they played well together, they're roommates, and are pretty good friends who aren't the least bit jealous of each other

Many people blame RJ poor shooting on his fit with Zion and Cam. RJ having some of his most impressive stretches with Zion out makes you wonder. They seem cool with each other, but do they mesh together on the court?

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
5/17/2019  1:01 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/17/2019  1:02 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

Many people blame RJ poor shooting on his fit with Zion and Cam. RJ having some of his most impressive stretches with Zion out makes you wonder. They seem cool with each other, but do they mesh together on the court?

I think it was more their supporting cast then them together. They had no shooters around them. Cam was supposed to be, but didn't shoot well. If you have Williamson and Barrett together it can work, but you need shooters around them.

Additionally, Barrett is a playmakers, but could potentially mesh well with KD and kyrie, for example, because both are great outside shooters.

Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

5/17/2019  1:57 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:
Uptown wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Uptown wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:to be clear, I am ****ing stoked. Okay? I AM FUCKING STOKED. Coming into the year, he was the consensus #1 overall. Yes, Zion is better. But Zion was so great that maybe it was kinda hard to defer. I think Cam Reddish will be a much better pro than his season this year too. These are guys used to being #1s. They both deferred but I'm suggesting that that isn't always so easy.

I'm in this camp....RJ put up 23 pts, 7 rbs and 4 ast as a freshman!!! To put that in perspective, D Wade put up similar numbers as a senior! I'm ecstatic Barrett is a strong possibility!!!

Wade didn't play four years, but he has older than RJ going into his rookie year. Also, he was a heckuva lot more efficient than RJ in college. Those stats have to be taken with a grain of salt. If anything, RJs counting stats look more like Melo's, minus the assists. That's still good, but I'm not sure how that will translate for him. He's a good prospect, but my expectations are tempered.

My bad, meant to say Sophomore...I corrected it. With that said, why does Barretts stats need to be taken with a grain a salt?! His numbers are better than Reddish, Culver's freshman year, Langford, etc.

When I look at a prospect, I like to think about where that guy could be by the time his rookie contract is up. I loved watching Wade... I watched his NCAA and the NBA draft with my Bulls fan fraternity brother because well getting drunk and eating pizza on the couch is what you do in a fraternity... and he almost snapped when they missed out on Wade. That was their Steph Curry moment. Everyone who paid attention knew Wade was going to be good. Why did I bring all that info up? Well, because I am probably more excited to draft Barrett than Vik was to possibly draft Wade, or that I was on the possibility of drafting Steph. I'm not saying it's guaranteed RJ is going to be a stud but the best-case development scenario is friggin enticing as hell

Agreed...I dont think he'll be as good as Wade (Wade is arguably the 3rd best SG of all time), but I do think we drafted a possible all star player....Dude is a Dawg and I love it!!! He plays with so much energy and emotion and ain't scared of the moment. These are things you can't teach.

dwiley20
Member: #5755

5/17/2019  2:30 PM
I sure am excited....we are big and athletic, Knox Barrett are both 6'8...
BigDaddyG

5/17/2019  3:03 PM
dwiley20 wrote:I sure am excited....we are big and athletic, Knox Barrett are both 6'8...

6'9" and 6'7" respectively, but it averages out 6'8" lol

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
BigDaddyG

5/17/2019  3:06 PM
Knixkik wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

I think it was more their supporting cast then them together. They had no shooters around them. Cam was supposed to be, but didn't shoot well. If you have Williamson and Barrett together it can work, but you need shooters around them.

Additionally, Barrett is a playmakers, but could potentially mesh well with KD and kyrie, for example, because both are great outside shooters.

I guess you sort that stuff out later if you go that route. They just need talent at this point. But I wonder if they'd seek out a better fit in any potential trade.
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
5/17/2019  3:25 PM
There is an aspect of RJ Barrett that not many are paying attention to because most are overwhelmed with the Zion hype and the Morant high expectations:

RJ's attitude is exactly what you want in a talented budding star: the confidence, the arrogance, the hunger and the desire to be the top dog. This guy will translate into a fan favorite at MSG. He can distribute the ball, come up with huge defensive plays and get the big rebound while playing with a swagger that fans crave in their stars.

I have a feeling that after the draft, when all is said and done and games start to be played, RJ will be huge in NY.

Knicks_Fan
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
5/17/2019  7:14 PM
I'm stoked as well. :) Perhaps it was me preparing for a fate that didn't include Zion, but I've been high on Barrett - He has a chance to be an all-star level player. He has a nice all-around game that will make his teammates better. On a team like the Knicks where play makers are in short supply, he'd be a net positive if he simply took over Lance Thomas's minutes.

I just don't know if the Knicks will use him (or literally anything useful on the roster) to get AD on the team. I guess until we get a clear picture from free agency, I'll hold back on buying my Barrett (and Mitchell Robinson) jersey.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
VCoug
Member: #1406

5/17/2019  7:43 PM
I'm not a fan of RJ's game. First off, I don't see how RJ can be an effective player in the NBA shooting 30% from 3 and 66% from the line. I'm also not impressed by the rest of his scoring arsenal, I don't see that he actually has a lot of moves. He's most effective bullying smaller, less athletic players in college and he doesn't have the insane athleticism/strength like Zion so I don't know if he can continue to do that in the NBA. And people talk about his athleticism but I haven't seen great lateral speed out of him so I don't know that he can get around guys in the NBA.

I also think his playmaking is overrated. He did average a good amount of assists but he was also playing next to one of the most dominant offensive players in recent NCAA history. Considering how much he dominated the ball and how good Zion is he should be able to average a few assists per game. Meanwhile, again, he played next to one of the most dominant offensive players in recent NBA history but he totally dominated the ball. He took 19 shots again compared to 12 each for Zion and Reddish (not that I like Reddish, he was ****ing terrible, but he was a highly rated HS prospect). He thought that he should be taking 50% more shots than anyone else on the team even though he wasn't the best player on the team.

I really believe this is a 2 player draft, Zion and Ja, and a total crapshoot after them. When I watch him play I see the latest iteration of a wing who's pretty good at a lot of things but isn't great at anything and doesn't have the athleticism or BBIQ to be great at the next level. I see Jeff Green/Evan Turner/OJ Mayo when I see him.

Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
Kemet
Member: #6148

5/17/2019  9:21 PM
Knicksfan wrote:There is an aspect of RJ Barrett that not many are paying attention to because most are overwhelmed with the Zion hype and the Morant high expectations:

RJ's attitude is exactly what you want in a talented budding star: the confidence, the arrogance, the hunger and the desire to be the top dog. This guy will translate into a fan favorite at MSG. He can distribute the ball, come up with huge defensive plays and get the big rebound while playing with a swagger that fans crave in their stars.

I have a feeling that after the draft, when all is said and done and games start to be played, RJ will be huge in NY.

It's hard for me to believe a wise organization Memphis Grizz are not going to select a consistent all-around performing player having potential to perform at 3 position, which put Barrett high on the NBA chart to be selected as the first or 2nd draft pick in early November/December. It doesn't make sense.

If the Knicks are lucky to get RJ Barrett in the draft, they better not trade him!
The Knicks don't need any more young core guards added to their roster (Ja Morant) .. The Knicks guard rotation are in dire need of 2 experience veteran starter guard in the Knicks rotation .. Klay Butler Beverley Reddick. Don't add no LOSERS like Kyrie or Kemba! Plus the Knicks need to hire another assistant coach in the offseason (Jason Kidd) to keep Barrett improving his all-around performance.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/18/2019  7:54 AM
What’s better for the knicks

Durant w/AD or.....
Durant with Kyrie, R.J., Knox, Mitch, Frank and 2 Dallas picks and the flexibility to make smaller deals

Uptown
Member: #1883

5/18/2019  8:48 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/18/2019  8:50 AM
Kemet wrote:
Knicksfan wrote:There is an aspect of RJ Barrett that not many are paying attention to because most are overwhelmed with the Zion hype and the Morant high expectations:

It's hard for me to believe a wise organization Memphis Grizz are not going to select a consistent all-around performing player having potential to perform at 3 position, which put Barrett high on the NBA chart to be selected as the first or 2nd draft pick in early November/December. It doesn't make sense.

If the Knicks are lucky to get RJ Barrett in the draft, they better not trade him!
The Knicks don't need any more young core guards added to their roster (Ja Morant) .. The Knicks guard rotation are in dire need of 2 experience veteran starter guard in the Knicks rotation .. Klay Butler Beverley Reddick. Don't add no LOSERS like Kyrie or Kemba! Plus the Knicks need to hire another assistant coach in the offseason (Jason Kidd) to keep Barrett improving his all-around performance.

You aint very informed! You say we dont need losers like Kyrie yet he has a ring, but we need winners like Reddick who ain't win ****? Also, J Kidd already has a job so there goes your plan of adding a former spouse abuser to the staff...after what went down during Anuchagate, we do not need that kind of press..

blkexec
Member: #748
5/18/2019  10:20 AM
Nalod wrote:What’s better for the knicks

Durant w/AD or.....
Durant with Kyrie, R.J., Knox, Mitch, Frank and 2 Dallas picks and the flexibility to make smaller deals

Durant, AD, Kyrie?

Well....if u watch the tweet from 2017, KD loves RJ. Personally I would rather have stars that are committed to NYC. AD is a cali guy looking to go home.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
5/18/2019  10:33 AM

Durant w/AD or.....

Choice B, the latter, number 2 and your second choice please. We have a lot more potential that way IMO.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
VCoug
Member: #1406

5/18/2019  11:41 AM
blkexec wrote:

Durant w/AD or.....

Durant, AD, Kyrie?

Well....if u watch the tweet from 2017, KD loves RJ. Personally I would rather have stars that are committed to NYC. AD is a cali guy looking to go home.

AD was born and raised in Chicago and went to school in Kentucky. He's not a Cali guy at all.

Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
Panos
Member: #520
5/18/2019  3:06 PM
Uptown wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
Uptown wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Uptown wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:to be clear, I am ****ing stoked. Okay? I AM FUCKING STOKED. Coming into the year, he was the consensus #1 overall. Yes, Zion is better. But Zion was so great that maybe it was kinda hard to defer. I think Cam Reddish will be a much better pro than his season this year too. These are guys used to being #1s. They both deferred but I'm suggesting that that isn't always so easy.
I'm in this camp....RJ put up 23 pts, 7 rbs and 4 ast as a freshman!!! To put that in perspective, D Wade put up similar numbers as a senior! I'm ecstatic Barrett is a strong possibility!!!

Wade didn't play four years, but he has older than RJ going into his rookie year. Also, he was a heckuva lot more efficient than RJ in college. Those stats have to be taken with a grain of salt. If anything, RJs counting stats look more like Melo's, minus the assists. That's still good, but I'm not sure how that will translate for him. He's a good prospect, but my expectations are tempered.

My bad, meant to say Sophomore...I corrected it. With that said, why does Barretts stats need to be taken with a grain a salt?! His numbers are better than Reddish, Culver's freshman year, Langford, etc.
When I look at a prospect, I like to think about where that guy could be by the time his rookie contract is up. I loved watching Wade... I watched his NCAA and the NBA draft with my Bulls fan fraternity brother because well getting drunk and eating pizza on the couch is what you do in a fraternity... and he almost snapped when they missed out on Wade. That was their Steph Curry moment. Everyone who paid attention knew Wade was going to be good. Why did I bring all that info up? Well, because I am probably more excited to draft Barrett than Vik was to possibly draft Wade, or that I was on the possibility of drafting Steph. I'm not saying it's guaranteed RJ is going to be a stud but the best-case development scenario is friggin enticing as hell
Agreed...I dont think he'll be as good as Wade (Wade is arguably the 3rd best SG of all time), but I do think we drafted a possible all star player....Dude is a Dawg and I love it!!! He plays with so much energy and emotion and ain't scared of the moment. These are things you can't teach.

Arguably third best? I'd bet lower than that. Who are your two better SGs?

smackeddog
Member: #883
5/18/2019  3:21 PM
VCoug wrote:
blkexec wrote:

Durant w/AD or.....

Durant, AD, Kyrie?

AD was born and raised in Chicago and went to school in Kentucky. He's not a Cali guy at all.

Hmm, wonder if the bulls will try swinging a deal for him

StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

5/18/2019  3:33 PM
Uptown wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
Uptown wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Uptown wrote:

Agreed. I know Zion got the big hype the past 6 months and deservedly so but RJ was considered the top prospect for awhile. It might end up being a blessing in disguise that he fell to 3
Kemet
Member: #6148

5/18/2019  5:27 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/18/2019  5:29 PM
Uptown wrote:
Kemet wrote:

You aint very informed! You say we dont need losers like Kyrie yet he has a ring, but we need winners like Reddick who ain't win ****? Also, J Kidd already has a job so there goes your plan of adding a former spouse abuser to the staff...after what went down during Anuchagate, we do not need that kind of press..

Saying Kyrie has a chip is the same as saying ex-Knick Shumpert & Smith has a chip.
If Kyrie was still a Cav this past 2018-19 season the Cavs still would have had a 19 win season.
Reddick has been a complimentary teammate on all his teams, having a very high B.ball IQ that's 10 times better than Kyrie as a team-baller.
The Knicks don't need any more selfish shoot-first PG leading the point for 30+ minute per game.
I wrote Jason Kidd name down as an example of having a great asset to have on the staff as a winning assistant-coach ready to take over the ship, yeah I could have mention Mark Jackson or Greg Anthony.
Recall .. the GS Warriors GM/Coach Kerr hired head-coach Gentry as his assistant-head-coach to win a chip.
And the worst press to have are having two 17 win season in the past 4 seasons.
RJ Barrett Freshman performance at Duke showed he are capable of being a Knick starter over the PG, SG, and SF we had on the court this past season !!!

Why are we not that excited to add RJ Barrett?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy