[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Why are we not that excited to add RJ Barrett?
Author Thread
jskinny35
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #928
USA
5/17/2019  12:23 AM
I get that he struggled with his outside shooting percentage his Freshman year at Duke but... is there something else I'm missing about his game and/or flaws? He seems fluid/smooth, polished and appears mature/coachable. Also,he did step up a bit when Zion was out. I've heard comps to Derozan (although not as athletic) and he seems to have an NBA-ready body. Please let me know why we don't have a potential NBA stud that just needs a year or two to find his way...
AUTOADVERT
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

5/17/2019  1:50 AM
jskinny35 wrote:I get that he struggled with his outside shooting percentage his Freshman year at Duke but... is there something else I'm missing about his game and/or flaws? He seems fluid/smooth, polished and appears mature/coachable. Also,he did step up a bit when Zion was out. I've heard comps to Derozan (although not as athletic) and he seems to have an NBA-ready body. Please let me know why we don't have a potential NBA stud that just needs a year or two to find his way...

He's aight. But when you see Zion, you see a potential superstar. I'm not as big on Morant, but there are plenty of other people who see the potential for superstardom in him. I think plenty of people, myself included, think RJ will be a nice, but not transformative player. He'd be fine as the third pick. I think his floor is higher than Morant's, but way lower than Zion's.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
smackeddog
Member: #883
5/17/2019  2:37 AM
http://www.ultimateknicks.com/forum/topic.asp?t=59096&page=1

We are, though I admit I'm dampening my excitement until we know if we're keeping the pick or trading it.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
5/17/2019  6:48 AM
Barrett and Morant would both go #1 in a lot of recent drafts based on the years they had. It’s a good year for us to have #3 overall.
wargames
Member: #6053

5/17/2019  6:53 AM
Knixkik wrote:Barrett and Morant would both go #1 in a lot of recent drafts based on the years they had. It’s a good year for us to have #3 overall.

Agreed the way this draft seems to be built 1-3 are excellent and then the talent drops off to mid to late lottery levels. We are lucky to be top 3 cause after Ja, Zion, and RJ the players seem to all be built to be role players.

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
5/17/2019  9:16 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/17/2019  9:17 AM
wargames wrote:
Knixkik wrote:Barrett and Morant would both go #1 in a lot of recent drafts based on the years they had. It’s a good year for us to have #3 overall.

Agreed the way this draft seems to be built 1-3 are excellent and then the talent drops off to mid to late lottery levels. We are lucky to be top 3 cause after Ja, Zion, and RJ the players seem to all be built to be role players.

I think collectively Williamson, Barrett, and Morant dominated college basketball like we haven't seen from top picks in a long time. Thinking about guys like Towns, Wiggins, Tatum, Ingram, Brown, Ball, Fultz, etc, these guys all had pretty modest freshman year's statistically in comparison. Morant is a soph obviously, but he was absolutely dominate. Now add the fact that both Williamson and Barrett are not even 19 yet, they could easily be high school seniors right now! How can we not view all 3 of these guys as potential franchise players? They both have huge upside.

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
5/17/2019  9:28 AM
smackeddog wrote:http://www.ultimateknicks.com/forum/topic.asp?t=59096&page=1

We are, though I admit I'm dampening my excitement until we know if we're keeping the pick or trading it.

Im at the point where It's like, you really can't lose either way. If you trade the pick, your going to get a very good young player entering his prime. If you keep him, he is a perfect fit for fizdales positionless basketball.

On the pelican side, AD wants out, he will only resign with the Knicks and Lakers, getting RJ and zion in the same draft jump starts your rebuild by leaps and bounds..you're get the 2 best players coming out of college in the last 5 yrs on control contracts..no brainer

ES
newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

5/17/2019  9:29 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/17/2019  9:32 AM
wargames wrote:

I wouldn't say everyone after those 3 look like role players. I think both D.Garland and RJ Hunter will be really good starters and guys like Culver, Coby White also have a chance at being special and health will be the only think that will have a chance at holding Bol Bol back from being special. Bol Bol is basically the next K.Porzingis and might even be a better 3 point shooter and just as good a shot blocker. If the Knicks didn't trade the #3 pick for AD or B.Beal and traded it to move down a few spot in the draft then i'd be really happy with Garland, RJ Hunter and although a little nervous because of the health issues i'd still be happy with them taking a shot on Bol Bol if he checks out medically.

Imagine the length we'd have if we had M.Robinson, Bol Bol and K.Durant playing the 3-4-5.

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

5/17/2019  9:43 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/17/2019  9:44 AM
to be clear, I am ****ing stoked. Okay? I AM FUCKING STOKED. Coming into the year, he was the consensus #1 overall. Yes, Zion is better. But Zion was so great that maybe it was kinda hard to defer. I think Cam Reddish will be a much better pro than his season this year too. These are guys used to being #1s. They both deferred but I'm suggesting that that isn't always so easy.
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

5/17/2019  10:28 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/17/2019  12:06 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:to be clear, I am ****ing stoked. Okay? I AM FUCKING STOKED. Coming into the year, he was the consensus #1 overall. Yes, Zion is better. But Zion was so great that maybe it was kinda hard to defer. I think Cam Reddish will be a much better pro than his season this year too. These are guys used to being #1s. They both deferred but I'm suggesting that that isn't always so easy.

I'm in this camp....RJ put up 23 pts, 7 rbs and 4 ast as a freshman!!! To put that in perspective, D Wade put up similar numbers as a sophomore! I'm ecstatic Barrett is a strong possibility!!!

Chandler
Member: #6197

5/17/2019  10:42 AM
It's a good question. There's a lot to like and with the extra space he may be a better pro than college player. I think the biggest concern is whether he can shoot and the rule that allows the offense to use only one ball at a time, when you already have (fingers crossed0, KD, Kyrie, DSJ, KK

From what I've heard he has the ability to be a Scottie Pippen type -- which would be awesome

(5)(5)
BigDaddyG

5/17/2019  10:43 AM
Uptown wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:to be clear, I am ****ing stoked. Okay? I AM FUCKING STOKED. Coming into the year, he was the consensus #1 overall. Yes, Zion is better. But Zion was so great that maybe it was kinda hard to defer. I think Cam Reddish will be a much better pro than his season this year too. These are guys used to being #1s. They both deferred but I'm suggesting that that isn't always so easy.

I'm in this camp....RJ put up 23 pts, 7 rbs and 4 ast as a freshman!!! To put that in perspective, D Wade put up similar numbers as a senior! I'm ecstatic Barrett is a strong possibility!!!

Wade didn't play four years, but he has older than RJ going into his rookie year. Also, he was a heckuva lot more efficient than RJ in college. Those stats have to be taken with a grain of salt. If anything, RJs counting stats look more like Melo's, minus the assists. That's still good, but I'm not sure how that will translate for him. He's a good prospect, but my expectations are tempered.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
5/17/2019  11:11 AM
Wanted Zion but this is a great consolation prize if you want to call it that. We get Pippen 2.0
jskinny35
Member: #928
USA
5/17/2019  11:32 AM
Pippen seems like a good comp if his defense is solid... is it? I know some were disappointed with his freshman year results but the numbers show he has potential to be a lead or a 2nd star (eg with Zion). While he didn't shoot that well from outside, he did pick things up when Zion was out. Seems like it's unclear if he's going to be an alpha or support star player. Good thing would be is if he has a couple of years to play with KD and learn before (hopefully) taking over as the big dog after they leave. I think we should keep it simple and just draft him - unless another team blows us away with an offer we can't refuse. Don't like the idea of trading back for Culver - he seemed to inconsistent and didn't really step up in the final four.
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

5/17/2019  11:49 AM
knicks1248 wrote:

Im at the point where It's like, you really can't lose either way. If you trade the pick, your going to get a very good young player entering his prime. If you keep him, he is a perfect fit for fizdales positionless basketball.

On the pelican side, AD wants out, he will only resign with the Knicks and Lakers, getting RJ and zion in the same draft jump starts your rebuild by leaps and bounds..you're get the 2 best players coming out of college in the last 5 yrs on control contracts..no brainer

Agree with this. Think this is a big possibility. Knicks and most FO's know there are few opportunities to add a player like AD. Just hope we would not have to include the kitchen sink.

Tough choice as I really like RJ. IF the Knicks are thinking they would pick someone like Garland, then I hope they trade the pick for AD.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
BigDaddyG

5/17/2019  11:56 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/17/2019  12:07 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

Agree with this. Think this is a big possibility. Knicks and most FO's know there are few opportunities to add a player like AD. Just hope we would not have to include the kitchen sink.

Tough choice as I really like RJ. IF the Knicks are thinking they would pick someone like Garland, then I hope they trade the pick for AD.

From the Pelicans standpoint, woul it make sense to pair RJ with Zion if he showed he wasn't as effective playing with him in college? I don't know the answer, just throwing it out there.
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
5/17/2019  12:00 PM
I’m more excited about Barrett than Cam Reddish.
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

5/17/2019  12:10 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Uptown wrote:

I'm in this camp....RJ put up 23 pts, 7 rbs and 4 ast as a freshman!!! To put that in perspective, D Wade put up similar numbers as a senior! I'm ecstatic Barrett is a strong possibility!!!

Wade didn't play four years, but he has older than RJ going into his rookie year. Also, he was a heckuva lot more efficient than RJ in college. Those stats have to be taken with a grain of salt. If anything, RJs counting stats look more like Melo's, minus the assists. That's still good, but I'm not sure how that will translate for him. He's a good prospect, but my expectations are tempered.

My bad, meant to say Sophomore...I corrected it. With that said, why does Barretts stats need to be taken with a grain a salt?! His numbers are better than Reddish, Culver's freshman year, Langford, etc.

BigDaddyG

5/17/2019  12:15 PM
Uptown wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Uptown wrote:

My bad, meant to say Sophomore...I corrected it. With that said, why does Barretts stats need to be taken with a grain a salt?! His numbers are better than Reddish, Culver's freshman year, Langford, etc.

I just meant in terms of how dominant he was. I hope Redish's name doesn't even come into the conversation lol. Langford and Culver are obvious step down from RJ IMHO. I just hope we don't put as much credence into who beat who one on one in drills when start doing evaluations.
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

5/17/2019  12:20 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/17/2019  12:20 PM
Uptown wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Uptown wrote:

When I look at a prospect, I like to think about where that guy could be by the time his rookie contract is up. I loved watching Wade... I watched his NCAA and the NBA draft with my Bulls fan fraternity brother because well getting drunk and eating pizza on the couch is what you do in a fraternity... and he almost snapped when they missed out on Wade. That was their Steph Curry moment. Everyone who paid attention knew Wade was going to be good. Why did I bring all that info up? Well, because I am probably more excited to draft Barrett than Vik was to possibly draft Wade, or that I was on the possibility of drafting Steph. I'm not saying it's guaranteed RJ is going to be a stud but the best-case development scenario is friggin enticing as hell

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
Why are we not that excited to add RJ Barrett?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy