[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Do you think the TANK worked?

Author Poll
Sambakick
Member: #5646

Did the Tank work or not?

We were tryin for Zion (or not tryin) and we didn't get him.

HOWEVER

If we did not finish dead last we would be picking where Cleveland and Phoenix are.

No, we didn't get the #1 pick and we were the worst squad.
Yes, the two next worst teams dropped out of the Top 3.
View Results

Author Thread
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
5/15/2019  10:38 AM
Allanfan20 wrote:
nykshaknbake wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
jrodmc wrote:Tanking sucks, doesn't it? How's that third pick project gonna taste while Zion goes bat**** crazy in NO?

How's Philly doing? One game, it's Simmons/Embid!! All Hail the Process!" then "it's break them up and start over again", and the next game it's "greatest players ever, Hinkie for Prez" then it's.... And if I'm counting Philly's seasons correctly, it's been 5 seasons of tanking so they are now nice and mediocre and have resorted to starphucquing just to get into the playoffs and lose...

Right because talent is only 25% of the puzzle needed to win and be a contender..

25% coaching
25% talent
25% chemistry
25% Leadership and roles

Philly had the most talent in the East, but the core players just got there and only played together for a couple of months, and now there pretty fcked .

Where do your numbers come from? Are you sure about the distribution?

Yeah, I mean health, attitude, work ethic, personal and professional circumstances, being able to work under pressure, etc mean absolutely nothing to the team and individual player.

That falls under Leadership dude. I'm not trying to go that deep and break down every single aspect of a contender because LUCK also plays a role.

But the 4 points i have stated are the main factors..it just all has to balance out.

ES
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
5/15/2019  10:40 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:
fishmike wrote:
nykshaknbake wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
jrodmc wrote:Tanking sucks, doesn't it? How's that third pick project gonna taste while Zion goes bat**** crazy in NO?

How's Philly doing? One game, it's Simmons/Embid!! All Hail the Process!" then "it's break them up and start over again", and the next game it's "greatest players ever, Hinkie for Prez" then it's.... And if I'm counting Philly's seasons correctly, it's been 5 seasons of tanking so they are now nice and mediocre and have resorted to starphucquing just to get into the playoffs and lose...

Right because talent is only 25% of the puzzle needed to win and be a contender..

25% coaching
25% talent
25% chemistry
25% Leadership and roles

Philly had the most talent in the East, but the core players just got there and only played together for a couple of months, and now there pretty fcked .

he put a lot of thought into that forumula

Think he left some important things out.

1% Pre game catering in the locker room.
1% Hot steam baths
1% Access to AND1 videos.
2% Comfortable bench seats.
2% Right size uniforms
3% Players getting along with all their girlfriends.
5% Good medicinal marijuana
5% Chemistry
60% Talent
20% Coaching Staff

you forgot the Not Getting Jumped by Drunk Russian ex-Fans %

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
knicks1248
Member: #582
5/15/2019  10:40 AM
fishmike wrote:
nykshaknbake wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

25% coaching
25% talent
25% chemistry
25% Leadership and roles

what's your point?

ES
ankurk
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6075

5/15/2019  10:53 AM
Our only chance with AD is if he goes out there and says he only wants to play for the Knicks and will not sign an extension with any other team
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
5/15/2019  2:20 PM

The tank worked. It got them to the third pick at the least. While missing out on Zion sucks. My gripe has always been have they done enough to develop what is already in the cupboard. They didn’t do enough but that is my opinion. Draft was strike one, two more strike to go. Next one will be KD turning the Knicks down for greener pastures. Then Kyrie will remain with Celtics as AD is traded to them.

This is the Knicks this team is always going to get left holding the bag. I don’t wish to bring gloom and doom but the reality is this is the Knicks. It’s been gloomy here for a long time. Nothing is certain with this team.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/15/2019  2:31 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
nykshaknbake wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

25% coaching
25% talent
25% chemistry
25% Leadership and roles

what's your point?

Rainman's simple formula for NBA success equals 100%, but somehow still does not add up.
Fret not, your not wrong btw. Just simplistic.

This translates over time very well......

smackeddog
Member: #883
5/15/2019  2:42 PM
ankurk wrote:Our only chance with AD is if he goes out there and says he only wants to play for the Knicks and will not sign an extension with any other team

If Kawhi re-signs with the craptors, that threat will hold a lot less power in future

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
5/15/2019  2:57 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
fishmike wrote:
nykshaknbake wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

25% coaching
25% talent
25% chemistry
25% Leadership and roles

1% Hot steam baths
2% Right size uniforms
5% Chemistry
60% Talent
20% Coaching Staff

dont know what the bold should be but its a LOT higher than 5%

The Tank not only worked it was the right thing to do. Nobody on that roster is traumatized. The Knicks were not making the playoffs and were not going to be a good team. They did the right thing by getting the kids reps and being REALLY bad.

100% for once the Knicks did the right thing.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Sambakick

5/15/2019  3:12 PM
Marv wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
smackeddog wrote:After a sleep, I’m strangely delighted. Third is where we’d likely have ended up under the old lottery rules. rJ could actually be the best fit for us if we sign KD and Kyrie, as it avoids duplication. he’s not clutch but he won’t be needed to be.he might excel with two great shooters. he’s a good passer too.

If we’d won a game or two more we could have ended up at 7th.

People compare RJ to DeRozan, but he’s been shown to be effective and had success on winning teams. Plus he has a great attitude and has a strong competitive instinct.

My emotional rollercoaster is the same as this guys:

Areed. ONE extra point for Barrett. He will have a chip on his shoulder about losing the top spot to Zion and if he gets passed at 2, even more to prove.

Btw, this guy Ariel seems like he did not know how this years lottery worked. As you mentioned, we should be delighted that we did not go the course of Cavs and Suns.

umm this guy sounds like he actually believes in basketball gods . . .

Don't you?

Everything in moderation. Even moderation.
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
5/15/2019  3:20 PM
Sambakick wrote:
Marv wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
smackeddog wrote:After a sleep, I’m strangely delighted. Third is where we’d likely have ended up under the old lottery rules. rJ could actually be the best fit for us if we sign KD and Kyrie, as it avoids duplication. he’s not clutch but he won’t be needed to be.he might excel with two great shooters. he’s a good passer too.

People compare RJ to DeRozan, but he’s been shown to be effective and had success on winning teams. Plus he has a great attitude and has a strong competitive instinct.

Areed. ONE extra point for Barrett. He will have a chip on his shoulder about losing the top spot to Zion and if he gets passed at 2, even more to prove.

Btw, this guy Ariel seems like he did not know how this years lottery worked. As you mentioned, we should be delighted that we did not go the course of Cavs and Suns.

Don't you?

well i believe in point gods . . .

Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
5/15/2019  3:30 PM
Marv wrote:
Sambakick wrote:
Marv wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

Don't you?

well i believe in point gods . . .

Or as SAS would say... Point GAWWD

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
TripleThreat
Member: #3997

5/15/2019  9:38 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
nykshaknbake wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

25% coaching
25% talent
25% chemistry
25% Leadership and roles

Yeah, I mean health, attitude, work ethic, personal and professional circumstances, being able to work under pressure, etc mean absolutely nothing to the team and individual player.

That falls under Leadership dude. I'm not trying to go that deep and break down every single aspect of a contender because LUCK also plays a role.

But the 4 points i have stated are the main factors..it just all has to balance out.

What the **** are you even talking about here?

There are two main issues to build a contender

THE RESOURCE MANAGEMENT SIDE - If you don't get the money right and apply market based principles, you are ****ed. It's that simple. You could have the next coming of Oscar Robertson or George Mikan but if the cap sheet is ****ed up and is choking your flexibility, you can't build a team. This also includes having key players with their BIRD RIGHTS

The PERSONNEL MANAGEMENT SIDE - It's literally 95 percent talent. Unlike other sports, key elite players can touch the ball all the time. Mike Trout can only bat so many times a game. Ozzie Smith could only field so many balls hit to him. The great Roger Clemens could only take the mound so often.

What you need is to have talent who understand how not to be a total selfish ******* on the court. An elite talent who understands how to push/pull for the greater good of winning ( like Curry) makes leadership and chemistry easy. Makes it easier on the coach.

Where the coach matters is getting performance ( milking the best possible result) out of fringe guys. Spolestra making Joel Anthony look somewhat useful is miracle in coaching. Getting something out of Mario Chalmers and subverting Ray Allens aging knees and huge ego are testaments to good coaching.

25 percent talent my ass. If that was the case, every team in the league would offer Coach K the largest contract ever to coach their team.

Is the sky on your planet made of ****ing cotton candy?

Philly had talent, but they had a lot of *******s who didn't subvert their game to the greater good. To be fair, they are also a bit young as a team.

Sometimes I wonder if you just randomly come up with **** that makes no sense after turning on Netflix and going on another Care Bear binge watching marathon or some dumb ass noise like that.

LeBron James is one of the dumbest ****ing people on the planet. Tampering. Shit talking and gutting his team mates. Coach killer. Really not a well rounded player. Basically changed the entire system because pwners said this kind of Decision **** can never ever happen again. He was such an *******, they changed the system to make it more anti-*******. Think about that. But he went to Final after Final even as LeGM and ****ing his teams over and over with personnel moves that made no sense. But he was a world class generational talent. If you have enough talent, you can get away with lots of ****. If you are a hot chick who is young and has a hard body and big cans, you can also get away with lots of ****. If you got "Fuck You Money", you can get away with lots of ****. This is a very simple life principle, not just an NBA one.

Which Care Bear is your favorite?

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
5/15/2019  10:06 PM
Vmart wrote:

The tank worked. It got them to the third pick at the least. While missing out on Zion sucks. My gripe has always been have they done enough to develop what is already in the cupboard. They didn’t do enough but that is my opinion. Draft was strike one, two more strike to go. Next one will be KD turning the Knicks down for greener pastures. Then Kyrie will remain with Celtics as AD is traded to them.

This is the Knicks this team is always going to get left holding the bag. I don’t wish to bring gloom and doom but the reality is this is the Knicks. It’s been gloomy here for a long time. Nothing is certain with this team.

Strike one was the draft? Best odds were for the Knicks to get the fifth pick. They got the third. Not sure how that is strike one. Also, who are you speaking about in terms of development and is it a concern since Perry/Fizdale have been in place?
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
5/15/2019  11:24 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Vmart wrote:

Strike one was the draft? Best odds were for the Knicks to get the fifth pick. They got the third. Not sure how that is strike one. Also, who are you speaking about in terms of development and is it a concern since Perry/Fizdale have been in place?

When you have the worst record and lose two spots it’s a strike anyways you want to spin it.

Sambakick

5/15/2019  11:41 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/15/2019  11:42 PM
New Orleans tanked - after the AD trade demand they sat him and limited his minutes and went 10-21. They were 23-28 before that.

Losing on purpose still works. Luck was always a part of the process. More so now. Doesn't mean it doesn't work. Just means it's less rewarding.

Which is what the NBA wanted to do. Reduce rewards to losers. They won't go back to the old system but they might tweak the numbers a little.

Everything in moderation. Even moderation.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
5/16/2019  5:34 AM
Vmart wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
Vmart wrote:

When you have the worst record and lose two spots it’s a strike anyways you want to spin it.

That is not how the lottery is set up since the odds were changed. You can’t spin the odds. The best odds were the Knicks picked fourth or fifth.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Nalod
USA
5/16/2019  7:55 AM
Fans reaction and media fueling despair going into this 14% and somehow “Kharma” was to tilt it more?
Aragon of the times writes “Why would Durant want this” and starts citing how Willis Reed was fired as coach, Clyde was traded, Earl “Dumped”, McAdoo traded in the middle of the night, King released, and Ewing left. All as if its some genetic condition that persists despite ownership changes, GM’s and Team presidents all different.

Clyde had bad knees by 1976 and was not ready to retire. Earl played a bit too long but was paid nice. Willis as a coach was a train wreck. King was a free agent at at his age returning from ACL was not known. Obviously he came back great but it was super rare. McAdoo was traded after a brief stint here where his ball stopping would make even Melo blush in comparison! Durant and Kyrie if they come know they change the narrative. They want to win but understand no guarantees. There would be trades to bolster the support. Writers can’t use any imagination and offer a possible vision or must they incite old instances unrelated to the present.

Vmart, I get where your coming from but really how did knicks “fail”? We moved up 2 spots. The 5 and 4th spots were a 60% chance probably. The fact we were the leagues worst does not change it.

HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

5/16/2019  9:58 AM
fishmike wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
fishmike wrote:
nykshaknbake wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

25% coaching
25% talent
25% chemistry
25% Leadership and roles

1% Hot steam baths
2% Right size uniforms
5% Chemistry
60% Talent
20% Coaching Staff

The Tank not only worked it was the right thing to do. Nobody on that roster is traumatized. The Knicks were not making the playoffs and were not going to be a good team. They did the right thing by getting the kids reps and being REALLY bad.

If we draft Barrett, I will be happy. Never liked to tank or losing seasons. It is what it is. Think we are headed in the right direction. Hope we learned from our past and do not trade the house for someone we may be able to get next year (AD). Although if the bidding gets low and we can give up say a couple of seconds, Frank and DSJ, I'd take it. As long as they can extend him prior. But don't see them going that low and think he wants Lakers who with LBJ can afford to trade the farm. Really don't see a reason why we need to do anything but draft RJ, sign a max or two and keep all our assets for some trades where we get better value. It sucks the way KP worked out. Would be really excited if we still had him.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
Nalod
USA
5/16/2019  10:15 AM
Tanking has many faces. One can avoid it but it inhibits the future. It can kill upside and sustain mediocrity.
Mortgaging the future is ok at times. Philly has done this and now contends. The window is what they make of it.
Pels instead of doubling down have an unresolved issue with AD and a season that got lost. Did they tank or fail? I don't know but by not mortgaging a future and traded out some assets they also gave themselves a 6% chance. Memphis seeing the writing on the wall traded out Gasol and tried to move Conley. They rebuilt and thus "tanked". Knicks with KP out for most of the year and little pipeline decided to enrich their youth with Reps and sign potential reclamation projects. All the while KP decides he wants to move on and knicks go all in on the cap.

All the while the math was there for all to see. 14% chance. That's its. If you think being a NYer and "Deserve" Zion that's cool but its naïve.
Durant/Kyrie has some traction to it. If you had to assign odds and because its subjective as hell, its not a "given". KD can blow out his acl the next game and its done. Kyrie might take an acid trip in Montana thus viewing the earth as "Triangular" joining the "Rambi" in Lakerland.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
5/16/2019  10:29 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:
fishmike wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
fishmike wrote:
nykshaknbake wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

25% coaching
25% talent
25% chemistry
25% Leadership and roles

1% Hot steam baths
2% Right size uniforms
5% Chemistry
60% Talent
20% Coaching Staff

If we draft Barrett, I will be happy. Never liked to tank or losing seasons. It is what it is. Think we are headed in the right direction. Hope we learned from our past and do not trade the house for someone we may be able to get next year (AD). Although if the bidding gets low and we can give up say a couple of seconds, Frank and DSJ, I'd take it. As long as they can extend him prior. But don't see them going that low and think he wants Lakers who with LBJ can afford to trade the farm. Really don't see a reason why we need to do anything but draft RJ, sign a max or two and keep all our assets for some trades where we get better value. It sucks the way KP worked out. Would be really excited if we still had him.

totally agree. This should be very simple for the Knicks. Take Barret, be happy and call it a day. He's a great prospect
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Do you think the TANK worked?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy