[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

OT: Greg Anthony as coach material???
Author Thread
Chandler
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6197

5/13/2019  8:58 AM
From time to time van Gundy and Mark Jackson's name resurface as coach candidates. Personally I think either would be dreadful. Regarding Van Gundy, the mensch schtick has grown old, plus he's a quitter, plus the only thing he was good (not great) at is near extinct in NBA: defense. Regarding Jackson, in between speeches he makes a once-in-a-lifetime assemblage of home grown talent into a smidge over mediocre -- why would anyone want that.

Surprising to me that Greg Anthony doesn't get more discussion. He seems to know his stuff

(5)(5)
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
5/13/2019  10:03 AM
Chandler wrote:From time to time van Gundy and Mark Jackson's name resurface as coach candidates. Personally I think either would be dreadful. Regarding Van Gundy, the mensch schtick has grown old, plus he's a quitter, plus the only thing he was good (not great) at is near extinct in NBA: defense. Regarding Jackson, in between speeches he makes a once-in-a-lifetime assemblage of home grown talent into a smidge over mediocre -- why would anyone want that.

Surprising to me that Greg Anthony doesn't get more discussion. He seems to know his stuff

Van Gundy has been coaching some of the national teams with success, right? Must be up to date at some level

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
knickslions
Alba Posts: 25
Member: #138
5/13/2019  11:34 AM
Chandler wrote:From time to time van Gundy and Mark Jackson's name resurface as coach candidates. Personally I think either would be dreadful. Regarding Van Gundy, the mensch schtick has grown old, plus he's a quitter, plus the only thing he was good (not great) at is near extinct in NBA: defense. Regarding Jackson, in between speeches he makes a once-in-a-lifetime assemblage of home grown talent into a smidge over mediocre -- why would anyone want that.

I spoke with Greg a few years ago at a Cavs game he was announcing and asked him if he would ever want to coach. He stated hell no. This announcing thing is best job in the world.

Cartman718
Member: #1694

5/13/2019  11:39 AM
knickslions wrote:

I spoke with Greg a few years ago at a Cavs game he was announcing and asked him if he would ever want to coach. He stated hell no. This announcing thing is best job in the world.
Greg Anthony is a slightly upgraded Stephen A Smith. Why’d anyone think he can coach?
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

5/13/2019  12:16 PM

GSW, Toronto and the Bucks all play good defense.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/13/2019  12:40 PM
announcers know their stuff. does not make them coaching material.
JVG was a coach first.
Jax proved to be about there halfway there, good technical ability, questonable personality traits hemorrhaged to destroy the good will.
Coaches technically is one part. personality is another. Leadership personified, emotional in control, and processing stress are just a few off the top of my head.
He has not coached in the NBA.
Chandler
Member: #6197

5/13/2019  12:53 PM
I think Steve Kerr is on record that his announcing gigs gave him new perspective and insight on the game. So under that theory I was wondering about Greg; also I think his son has an NBA future so might be a bit like Doc Rivers

And regarding defense, I agree GSW, Toronto and Bucks all play good defense. But you must be able to score in today's NBA (not that I'm a fan of the current rules). The days of the Pistons, JVG-Knicks, Riley-Heat are gone

(5)(5)
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/13/2019  1:51 PM
Chandler wrote:I think Steve Kerr is on record that his announcing gigs gave him new perspective and insight on the game. So under that theory I was wondering about Greg; also I think his son has an NBA future so might be a bit like Doc Rivers

And regarding defense, I agree GSW, Toronto and Bucks all play good defense. But you must be able to score in today's NBA (not that I'm a fan of the current rules). The days of the Pistons, JVG-Knicks, Riley-Heat are gone

Regardless of the job he did, Kerr was also GM of the Suns. Riley was an announcer for Lakers and charmed the hell out of Buss to get the gig. It happens. Not saying it doesn't happen were an explayer ascends to be a head
coach.

Kemet
Member: #6148

5/13/2019  6:02 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/13/2019  6:05 PM
Chandler wrote:I think Steve Kerr is on record that his announcing gigs gave him new perspective and insight on the game. So under that theory I was wondering about Greg; also I think his son has an NBA future so might be a bit like Doc Rivers

Yep .. the old style DEFENSE are only performed in the postseason games by the winning teams, Silver took defense out of the regular season games.
I give Kerr credit at being a great GM .. Kerr, Gentry, Walton gets NO credit for the GS Warriors success, the Warriors success goes to hard-nose head-coach Mark Jackson !!!

OT: Greg Anthony as coach material???

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy