OT: Magic quits on the Lakers
Author Thread
TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

4/12/2019  5:34 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
Vmart wrote:Who give a crap what LeBron is gonna do. He is the reason why Magic quit. LeBron and his BS made sure the Lakers got pennies on the dollar with his AD nonsense leaving Magic in no position to deal.

exactly

Magic is a hof player. He sucked as a team pres. A year ago he said if the Lakers were not winning he wouldn’t need to be fired he would quit. Reports out there by credible reporters say that Magic didn’t commit the time required to be a successful as a pres. He did the Lakers a favor. It is very hard to fire a former star player that is made a coach or exec. Those guys generally are not successful in their new role. Magic resigning was the best for all parties. You can’t be a successful president and rely on charisma and supreme confidence to be successful. Phil couldn’t rely on arrogance and the confidence that he was the smartest guy in the room when he didn’t understand his new role. Approaching every transaction with arrogance and a lack of knowledge and experience resulted in the team being damaged for years after he was fired.

J

The "Team President" role typically entails running the business side of the franchise ( marketing, advertising, dealing with the arena with non basketball issues, local politics, dealing with local corporations/brands, merchandising, etc)

Jeanie Buss runs the business side of the Lakers.

It's a little hard to knock Magic for not filling a role when he never quite had a role to start. All of the recent Lakers picks were about value for slot ( Russell, Ball, Randle, Ingram, etc) Meaning most of the other teams would make the same picks given the same situation/draft slot.

Value for slot is a complicated situation for any team. You pick the guy who offers the least blowback during the initial picking stage. If the 76ers picked Zinger as Hinkie wanted then the Knicks would have likely ended up with Jahlil Okafor and that pick would have been defensible at the time and place.

Talent is just hard to mine in this structure. LBJ has ****ed up every team he's been on over time. Just not going to bang on Magic here over all of this. Winning in the NBA is just very very hard. Finding talent is very very hard.

AUTOADVERT
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
4/19/2019  11:48 AM
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/19/2019  11:56 AM
CrushAlot wrote:

lol assistant GM to LeGM was told to talk to LeBron's old coach in lieu of just hiring him already

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Cartman718
Member: #1694

4/23/2019  9:32 AM
Sorry but have to like the mess they’re in. In one swoop, Luke Walton has at least brought some negative attention to 3 franchises with the sexual assault charge
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

4/23/2019  9:41 AM
CrushAlot wrote:

Why hire a coach before you hire a team president? This is a** backwards. Based on what I've read, Pelinka has alienated many Agents and front office personnel around the league. Buss should have fired Pelinka if that's what Magic wanted, but obviously it's not what Kobe wanted. Lakers traveling down the road the Knicks seem to be emerging from...

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/23/2019  9:45 AM
Cartman718 wrote:Sorry but have to like the mess they're in. In one swoop, Luke Walton has at least brought some negative attention to 3 franchises with the sexual assault charge

A charge that preceded his Laker job! The process will sort itself out but this thing is from when he worked as assistant with the Warriors.
Im no expert on these things but usually there must be some evidence for even the worst attorney to represent a client.

Suns Dysfunction continues. Besides a very inexperienced front office tandem they fire the coach who started three rookies, had no PG and injuries to boot so they can go after Monty Williams. Will they get Monty Williams who is also up for the Laker gig.
Sarver really running quite a shyt show there.
Knicks seem like the bastion of stability these days. Issues are as they should be: Basketball related.

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

4/23/2019  9:53 AM
Uptown wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Why hire a coach before you hire a team president? This is a** backwards. Based on what I've read, Pelinka has alienated many Agents and front office personnel around the league. Buss should have fired Pelinka if that's what Magic wanted, but obviously it's not what Kobe wanted. Lakers traveling down the road the Knicks seem to be emerging from...

I agree completely. If you make this decision before the president is in place, the next President can point the finger to this decision. This isn't as big of a deal as Phil drafting Frank and then getting fired, but it's in the same bucket. You want the guys in charge to have a vested interest in management, players, coached working out. When you can point the finger nothing ever gets fixed

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
Nalod
USA
4/23/2019  12:28 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:
Uptown wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

I agree completely. If you make this decision before the president is in place, the next President can point the finger to this decision. This isn't as big of a deal as Phil drafting Frank and then getting fired, but it's in the same bucket. You want the guys in charge to have a vested interest in management, players, coached working out. When you can point the finger nothing ever gets fixed

Walton was hired by Kupchek/Jeannie and it was a good hire to bring in a young coach and develop with his players.
Then you bring in smiling Magic as president and his slick GM Pelinka.
Then Lebron.
Walton out.

Lakers say they are not replacing Magic. They need a coach. Monty Williams should pass. Lue is about Lebron and might be a good fit.
Williams might want to hold on where he is. Brett Brown will likely survive but if they get destroyed by Toronto you have an issue of Harris and Jimmy Butler resigning. Butler arguing with Brown is not a big deal. He does it with all his coaches. He actually seems to like him. He might have an affinity for Williams.
Suns gig might be super attractive especially if they get 1st or 2nd pick!

Uptown

4/23/2019  1:42 PM
Nalod wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
Uptown wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Walton was hired by Kupchek/Jeannie and it was a good hire to bring in a young coach and develop with his players.
Then Lebron.
Walton out.

Lakers say they are not replacing Magic. They need a coach. Monty Williams should pass. Lue is about Lebron and might be a good fit.
Williams might want to hold on where he is. Brett Brown will likely survive but if they get destroyed by Toronto you have an issue of Harris and Jimmy Butler resigning. Butler arguing with Brown is not a big deal. He does it with all his coaches. He actually seems to like him. He might have an affinity for Williams.

Monty Williams may end up in Phoenix if he is passed over for the Laker job...

Nalod
USA
4/23/2019  2:48 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/23/2019  2:51 PM
Uptown wrote:
Nalod wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
Uptown wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Then Lebron.
Walton out.

I saw that and still dumbfounded how this guy after his wife was so tragically taken with young children can take on the responsibility of being a head coach. Its been like three years and I get time heals but this is a good dude and must have a great support system to allow him to travel and spend that kind of time. Im not judging this guy. He is awesome. I hope he lands with a good owner in a good town for him and his kids. Sarver is a piece of shyt owner. Lakers are sorry these days.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

4/25/2019  12:58 PM
Nalod wrote:
Uptown wrote:
Nalod wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
Uptown wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Then Lebron.
Walton out.

I saw that and still dumbfounded how this guy after his wife was so tragically taken with young children can take on the responsibility of being a head coach. Its been like three years and I get time heals but this is a good dude and must have a great support system to allow him to travel and spend that kind of time. Im not judging this guy. He is awesome. I hope he lands with a good owner in a good town for him and his kids. Sarver is a piece of shyt owner. Lakers are sorry these days.

Best way to support his kids. Will make the kind of money that will set them up for life, if they arent already.

The longer Williams is away from the game, the harder it would be to make big money, or find a good coaching gig in general. Not unless you are an elite coach.

With Face Time, texting, etc.. his family will be in touch in ways our generation wasnt.

Back to Magic, Im surprised that someone as business savvy as he is. Movie theaters, soft drink distributorship, those things require an attention to detail, even if you bring in a great team.

Magic seemed to go the same route as Phil, not putting in the work. Both had such an attention to detail as players/coach, not so much as front office execs.

Nalod
USA
4/25/2019  1:39 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Uptown wrote:
Nalod wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
Uptown wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Then Lebron.
Walton out.

Best way to support his kids. Will make the kind of money that will set them up for life, if they arent already.

The longer Williams is away from the game, the harder it would be to make big money, or find a good coaching gig in general. Not unless you are an elite coach.

With Face Time, texting, etc.. his family will be in touch in ways our generation wasnt.

Back to Magic, Im surprised that someone as business savvy as he is. Movie theaters, soft drink distributorship, those things require an attention to detail, even if you bring in a great team.

Magic seemed to go the same route as Phil, not putting in the work. Both had such an attention to detail as players/coach, not so much as front office execs.

Monty is a highy regarded Assistant and would have been a head coach by now again. As for money, I don't know how well he did playing and his savings.
Just thinking out loud. This is a good dude and I hope he lands well.

Maybe Magic "business acumen" is he has good people he pays and was a success because of that, not that he worked hard and smart.
Not a thing wrong with that but his "Mentoring" might be a bit over rated. Sure he is a success and had to over come being HIV positive after phuching everything and everybody when "showtime". He might be exceptional, he might be just a good promoter. As an analyst on TV he is not my favorite as he is a bit into himself. In this two jobs as a coach and President when transparent he failed miserably.

GustavBahler

5/5/2019  12:21 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/5/2019  12:21 PM
Surprised how candid LeBron is in this piece..

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/weird-lebron-breaks-silence-magic-034321835.html

James – who left the Cleveland Cavaliers to join the Lakers at the start of the season – discussed Johnson's sudden exit on Saturday.

"It was just weird for [Johnson] to just be like… 'Nah, I'm out of here'," James said on his HBO show "The Shop".

"And not even have [a heads-up] like: 'Hey, Bron… kiss my a**. I'm out of here'. I would have been okay with that. Like: 'Hey, Bron, it's Magic. kiss my a**; I'm gone'. It wasn't even that."

Cartman718
Member: #1694

5/6/2019  12:11 PM
Because magic is answerable to a player on the team? lol what is lebitch thinking
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
Uptown

5/6/2019  1:36 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Surprised how candid LeBron is in this piece..

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/weird-lebron-breaks-silence-magic-034321835.html

James – who left the Cleveland Cavaliers to join the Lakers at the start of the season – discussed Johnson's sudden exit on Saturday.

"It was just weird for [Johnson] to just be like… 'Nah, I'm out of here'," James said on his HBO show "The Shop".

"And not even have [a heads-up] like: 'Hey, Bron… kiss my a**. I'm out of here'. I would have been okay with that. Like: 'Hey, Bron, it's Magic. kiss my a**; I'm gone'. It wasn't even that."

LeBron staying true to the theme the "Shop" by giving the viewers an inside look at candid conversations that would go on in an actual Barber Shop...

Uptown

5/6/2019  1:38 PM
Cartman718 wrote:Because magic is answerable to a player on the team? lol what is lebitch thinking

Magic was at LeBron's house @ 12:01 and I'm sure he sold him on the idea of building the Lakers together...

Nalod
USA
5/6/2019  4:35 PM
Uptown wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:Because magic is answerable to a player on the team? lol what is lebitch thinking

Magic was at LeBron's house @ 12:01 and I'm sure he sold him on the idea of building the Lakers together...

Truth to that. Truth to the concept that maybe Lebron was part of the problem and Lebron backstabbed him?
If you hate Lebron, you see it a certain way, of not, I keep it on the court.
I don't have to like Lebron to respect his game. I hated Jordan, but his game? Can't do that.
Lebron reaction tells me the sudden departure was for real. He was right there at 12;01am to recruit him and as a man did owe him a face to face.
Put Magic on my not so likable list. But I don't dispute his on court greatness.

GustavBahler

5/8/2019  7:59 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/8/2019  8:00 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-lakers-tyronn-lue-moving-230936793.html

Lue apparently wanted a 5 year deal, was offered 3 years/18 mil. Considering how many good years LeBron has left, that seems right. Not so sure Lue will be asked to coach another potential superteam any time soon.

Surprised he passed on that money. Guess we'll see if there are better offers for Lue's services out there.

martin
USA
5/8/2019  8:02 PM
GustavBahler wrote:https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-lakers-tyronn-lue-moving-230936793.html

Lue apparently wanted a 5 year deal, was offered 3 years/18 mil. Considering how many good years LeBron has left, that seems right. Not so sure Lue will be asked to coach another potential superteam any time soon.

Surprised he passed on that money. Guess we'll see if there are better offers for Lue's services out there.

Lakers also wanted him to take JKidd as an assistant... someone who was interviewing for the same job. Strange ask.

martin
USA
5/8/2019  8:03 PM
....and done

OT: Magic quits on the Lakers

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy