[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

May 14th... what would be disapointing to you?
Author Thread
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

4/3/2019  3:37 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/3/2019  3:57 PM
TPercy wrote:
fishmike wrote:
technomaster wrote:I'd be kind of disappointed if we didn't get a top-3 pick, mostly because I don't really have a good sense of who'd we'd be looking at in the 4th or 5th spot. I'd be happy with John Wall-type upside of Morant, the DeRozan/T-Mac upside of Barrett, or whatever Zion will be (I have a feeling that he'll be 18-25ppg scorer, but I don't know what else you'll get with that).

Beyond those 3, I'm not really quite sure what you'll get.

Very possible Culver is a top 3. I dont see why RJ is better than he is and Ja will have defensive concerns (although he's pretty sick)

Been high on him myself the only thing is that RJ is a better dribbler and shot creator than culver with more athleticism but the issue with Rj is that his decision making is a lot more questionable and he is more inefficient. The question you ask is does RJ have a better chance of improving his decision making to reach his Allstar potential or can Culver develop as a shot creator? My bet is on Culver.

I know Barrett didnt have an ideal finish to his college career, still wouldn't pass on him at 3. A DSJr/RJ backcourt may not sound particularly impressive. Do believe the talent is there to punch above their weight, as a backcourt. When it comes to experience. Especially with Mitch in the paint.

Worse case scenario and FAs pass on the Knicks, like the building blocks for a deep bench, we already have. Question of finding the right stars, not giving away the store to get them.

No reason to gut the roster of recent draft picks who have shown something, to acquire talent. Not with all the cap room. Would show a lack of imagination and salesmanship IMO. Nobody has more cap room than the Knicks.

On Perry and Mills to make the right pitch, to the right players. If they whiff on the cream of the crop of free agency, they should keep building the bench, adding quality role players. When FAs do decide to sign up, the foundation building will already be well under way. As long as the lottery isnt a consideration next season. Been there, done that.

AUTOADVERT
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

4/3/2019  4:55 PM
Knixkik wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
technomaster wrote:I'd be kind of disappointed if we didn't get a top-3 pick, mostly because I don't really have a good sense of who'd we'd be looking at in the 4th or 5th spot. I'd be happy with John Wall-type upside of Morant, the DeRozan/T-Mac upside of Barrett, or whatever Zion will be (I have a feeling that he'll be 18-25ppg scorer, but I don't know what else you'll get with that).

Very possible Culver is a top 3. I dont see why RJ is better than he is and Ja will have defensive concerns (although he's pretty sick)

Depends on whether he shows out in the next 2 games assuming Texas wins. Last game 5 of 19

I do agree on Culver. He could make this a 4-player draft.

Culver could be the goods - he has played a great tourney. At the same time, he was ~300th ranked prospect coming into this year. I would definitely consider him at 4, but Alexander-Walker has been great all year and Coby White has been really good. Neither of those two guys played awful in March... I'd likely take Cam Reddish ahead of Culver. Obviously, the next couple of games might completely change my thinking. Hell, my thinking has already changed on Culver. He's a lotto pick. But i am not ready to say for sure he's my #4 guy just yet

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
KnickDanger
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #7578

4/3/2019  6:20 PM
I plan on the Knicks picking 5th. Anything better than that would be an unexpected pleasure.
HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

4/3/2019  6:54 PM
fishmike wrote:
smackeddog wrote:Ecstatic if we get 1st, Happy if we get 2 or 3 (though would consider trading for AD), disappointed if we end up 4th, furious but not surprised if we end up 5th.

Like I've said a few times- golden rule seems to be, take the number of top players in a draft, and 1 and that's where the Knicks pick. So in this case it's a 3 man draft, so prepare for 4th at best.

it looks like a 4 man draft and we are likely 5th (time will tell)
1) Zion (duh)
2-4) Culver, Ja, RJ
5) hmmmmm.... I see considerable drop off

Im hoping it is either the #1 pick and Zion, unlikely, or they trade the 2 to 5 pick as part of a package to bring in AD. Or they trade the 2 to 5 pick for multiple lower ones. Dreaming that we get the #2 pick and Atlanta falls in love with Barrett and is dumb enough to give us the 5 and 6 pick. If that is possible. Cleveland, San Antonio and Boston also have a couple of first rounders. I like Darius Garland, kZ opala, Nikell Akexander Walker, Chuma Okeke, Luguentz dort as lower picks. Oh yeah and Dylan Windler (The next Kyle Korver or Ron Baker )

Btw, not sure Culver is top 4. Like Deandre Hunter or even Coby White to fill in the top 4. It seems like it happens every year where the hype of players still in the tourney jumps guys up the board but eventually subside by draft day. Also, dont know if JA should be number 2. Just cant go with someone that did not compete consistently against elite competition. I see him as the next Brandon Jennings. But who knows. Think RJ still has to be the second pick IMO.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
TPercy
Member: #5748

4/4/2019  11:36 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
TPercy wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Been high on him myself the only thing is that RJ is a better dribbler and shot creator than culver with more athleticism but the issue with Rj is that his decision making is a lot more questionable and he is more inefficient. The question you ask is does RJ have a better chance of improving his decision making to reach his Allstar potential or can Culver develop as a shot creator? My bet is on Culver.

I know Barrett didnt have an ideal finish to his college career, still wouldn't pass on him at 3. A DSJr/RJ backcourt may not sound particularly impressive. Do believe the talent is there to punch above their weight, as a backcourt. When it comes to experience. Especially with Mitch in the paint.

Worse case scenario and FAs pass on the Knicks, like the building blocks for a deep bench, we already have. Question of finding the right stars, not giving away the store to get them.

No reason to gut the roster of recent draft picks who have shown something, to acquire talent. Not with all the cap room. Would show a lack of imagination and salesmanship IMO. Nobody has more cap room than the Knicks.

On Perry and Mills to make the right pitch, to the right players. If they whiff on the cream of the crop of free agency, they should keep building the bench, adding quality role players. When FAs do decide to sign up, the foundation building will already be well under way. As long as the lottery isnt a consideration next season. Been there, done that.

A smith Barrett backcourt isn’t good. There is little shooting and too much immaturity in terms of decision making. Also while both have great defensive potential, not sure if Smith will ever change his attitude or Barrett will translate, especially as a 2.
The Future is Bright!
TPercy
Member: #5748

4/4/2019  11:43 AM
SupremeCommander wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Depends on whether he shows out in the next 2 games assuming Texas wins. Last game 5 of 19

Culver could be the goods - he has played a great tourney. At the same time, he was ~300th ranked prospect coming into this year. I would definitely consider him at 4, but Alexander-Walker has been great all year and Coby White has been really good. Neither of those two guys played awful in March... I'd likely take Cam Reddish ahead of Culver. Obviously, the next couple of games might completely change my thinking. Hell, my thinking has already changed on Culver. He's a lotto pick. But i am not ready to say for sure he's my #4 guy just yet

In what world you take Reddish over Culver? He shot less than 35 percent from the field this year my guy and given the Knicks scarcity of talent why would you want to take on such a high risk pick? Reddish is more like a 9-14 pick IMO. If he can’t cut it in college, it’ll be very hard to make it in the league where they’re more games, higher intensity, playing against bigger faster and much more advanced players. He should stay a year.
The Future is Bright!
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

4/4/2019  11:57 AM
TPercy wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
TPercy wrote:
fishmike wrote:

A smith Barrett backcourt isn’t good. There is little shooting and too much immaturity in terms of decision making. Also while both have great defensive potential, not sure if Smith will ever change his attitude or Barrett will translate, especially as a 2.

Might get some immaturity from Barrett, but I believe that Smith jr, would be a moderating influence. His first instinct is to pass. Not jack up shots. Saw better ball movement after he joined the team.

Smith jr does have to improve his shooting. If his back issues this season become a thing of the past, Im guessing there will be an uptick in his numbers next season. Too much talent on a rookie contract to give up on without an extended look.

After an offseason of conditioning (which Fizdale has emphasized), work on his game, and time to get back to 100 percent. Those are the conditions Id like to see first, before giving up DSjr for the next shiny object.

smackeddog
Member: #883
4/4/2019  12:27 PM
Arrrrrgh, Tankathon, way are you obsessed with dropping us to 5th?!
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
4/4/2019  1:59 PM
KnickDanger wrote:I plan on the Knicks picking 5th. Anything better than that would be an unexpected pleasure.

My thinking as well. I don't plan to watch. I'm already disappointed. Anything less than Zion is disappointing to me as a fan have suffered through the Dolan years.

I've got confidence now in the FO, but they really don't have a lot to work with. I don't see how you can use 67% of your money on 2 players when you need 5-8 solid players.

Frank and Knox have been huge disappointments and while both might have potential still, they have so many warts that how can you really count on them to plug them in to a 1-8 scenario?

Our best PG is probably gone- Mudiay. And that he is our best PG is a terrible indictment of our overall talent level.

If we don't win the 1st pick, I'm kinda mailing it in as a fan. I have no hope for anything but more of the same.

Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

4/4/2019  2:03 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/4/2019  2:07 PM
Of Course Zion and Ja are the prize gets at the end of this looooong season. With that said, RJ will be much better and will show more in the NBA than he did at Duke. RJ is in constant attack-mode, and the spacing in the NBA is much better than it was at Duke, as he was surrounded by a bunch of non-shooters so the defenses packed it in. RJ can handle the rock exceptionally well for a wing, can finish through contact and is a lefty!! Dude is a flat-out scorer! Woldn't be unhappy if we landed him.

Keep in mind, dude did averaging 22 pts per as a freshman.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
4/4/2019  3:02 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
fishmike wrote:
smackeddog wrote:Ecstatic if we get 1st, Happy if we get 2 or 3 (though would consider trading for AD), disappointed if we end up 4th, furious but not surprised if we end up 5th.

Like I've said a few times- golden rule seems to be, take the number of top players in a draft, and 1 and that's where the Knicks pick. So in this case it's a 3 man draft, so prepare for 4th at best.

1) Zion (duh)
2-4) Culver, Ja, RJ

Im hoping it is either the #1 pick and Zion, unlikely, or they trade the 2 to 5 pick as part of a package to bring in AD. Or they trade the 2 to 5 pick for multiple lower ones. Dreaming that we get the #2 pick and Atlanta falls in love with Barrett and is dumb enough to give us the 5 and 6 pick. If that is possible. Cleveland, San Antonio and Boston also have a couple of first rounders. I like Darius Garland, kZ opala, Nikell Akexander Walker, Chuma Okeke, Luguentz dort as lower picks. Oh yeah and Dylan Windler (The next Kyle Korver or Ron Baker )

Btw, not sure Culver is top 4. Like Deandre Hunter or even Coby White to fill in the top 4. It seems like it happens every year where the hype of players still in the tourney jumps guys up the board but eventually subside by draft day. Also, dont know if JA should be number 2. Just cant go with someone that did not compete consistently against elite competition. I see him as the next Brandon Jennings. But who knows. Think RJ still has to be the second pick IMO.

trading the pick for AD would be the worst IMO. We can sign 2 max FAs. It will take more than just our #1 this year to get AD. Its gonna be KD and Kyrie. If we we are 2-3 and ATL has a hard on for RJ I would love to trade down and take their #5 and #6. Might have to give them a Dallas pick back but its something to look at.

Knicks need to not only sign a couple stars (I do think its KD+Kyrie as both have something to prove and both can prove it here together) but they need to draft well. If KD/KI sign we will end up getting some quality vets to sign for cheap because it will be great fun. What we really need a legit pipeline. A couple of blue chips in this draft would go a long way.

AD is great, but you gut your team and now cant afford to build a team around him.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
fishmike
USA
4/4/2019  3:03 PM
smackeddog wrote:Arrrrrgh, Tankathon, way are you obsessed with dropping us to 5th?!
It just to build up the angst to make the prize that much sweeter
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
4/4/2019  7:44 PM
fishmike wrote:
smackeddog wrote:Arrrrrgh, Tankathon, way are you obsessed with dropping us to 5th?!

Yeah but that site is ridiculous. We get the 5th pick way more than 47% of the time! 😡😡😡

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Cartman718
Member: #1694

4/5/2019  12:28 AM
Allanfan20 wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Yeah but that site is ridiculous. We get the 5th pick way more than 47% of the time! 😡😡😡

I pick and choose when to do it...
one time I did it...very first attempt #1

I stopped for a few days...
then I did it again...first attempt and third attempt #1...since then haven't done it. Riding the high lol

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
4/5/2019  5:32 AM
Falling out of the top three would be a disappointment. Dallas getting a top 5 pick and pushing back when the Knicks get their picks would also suck. The Hawks need to sit Trae.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
SupremeCommander

4/5/2019  9:19 AM
TPercy wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
fishmike wrote:

In what world you take Reddish over Culver? He shot less than 35 percent from the field this year my guy and given the Knicks scarcity of talent why would you want to take on such a high risk pick? Reddish is more like a 9-14 pick IMO. If he can’t cut it in college, it’ll be very hard to make it in the league where they’re more games, higher intensity, playing against bigger faster and much more advanced players. He should stay a year.

I'll be honest, I didn't realize how bad of a year Cam had. I guess my point was coming into the year, Cam was a consensus top 10 pick, and sometimes top 5, whereas Culver was #300+. None of that matters now but that's all I was trying to say. You're right, there isn't a world where I was take Cam of Culver. I don't know if Culver is #4 for me yet though

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/5/2019  10:13 AM
CrushAlot wrote:Falling out of the top three would be a disappointment. Dallas getting a top 5 pick and pushing back when the Knicks get their picks would also suck. The Hawks need to sit Trae.

No doubt getting 2 draft picks in same year is key.... 2022 draft is the year 18 year olds can first come into the NBA? So there may be a flood of players - perhaps 2 years of top talent in a normal draft. So get the pick in 2021 is the earliest or the pick when potentially more talent is available

Without rooting for a specific injury to a specific ex-Knicks player, hopefully Dallas sucks in the year we have their pick

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
SupremeCommander

4/5/2019  11:13 AM
martin wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:Falling out of the top three would be a disappointment. Dallas getting a top 5 pick and pushing back when the Knicks get their picks would also suck. The Hawks need to sit Trae.

No doubt getting 2 draft picks in same year is key.... 2022 draft is the year 18 year olds can first come into the NBA? So there may be a flood of players - perhaps 2 years of top talent in a normal draft. So get the pick in 2021 is the earliest or the pick when potentially more talent is available

Without rooting for a specific injury to a specific ex-Knicks player, hopefully Dallas sucks in the year we have their pick

I think this is a key point and I want to re-emphasize what you said

The year I want the most picks is the first eyar where 18 year olds can enter the NBA directly. We will have a pool of talent that includes the best 19 year olds and best 18 year olds on the planet. It will be like having access to two years of five star recruits in one draft

fishmike
USA
4/5/2019  11:19 AM
SupremeCommander wrote:
TPercy wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
fishmike wrote:

I'll be honest, I didn't realize how bad of a year Cam had. I guess my point was coming into the year, Cam was a consensus top 10 pick, and sometimes top 5, whereas Culver was #300+. None of that matters now but that's all I was trying to say. You're right, there isn't a world where I was take Cam of Culver. I don't know if Culver is #4 for me yet though

sure there is. When you bring them in to work out. I love Culver and think that could be a Donovan Mitchell type consolation prize. He's SUCH a good BB player. Meanwhile Cam has struggled to blossom with Zion and RJ being the focal point. You have to work these guys out and really hope you can project. Jalen Brown comes to mind. Low FG%s in school and many were surprised Bos took him 3. Only ESPN predicted that. NBA.com, NBAdraft.net, bleacher report... most every mock had Jaylen Brown going in the 7-10 range.

I think Cam is this year's Jalen Brown.

So if we picked say 4-5, and took Cam with Culver still on the board honestly I would not bat an eye. I think we have scouted very well overall. Culver is *my* favorite dark horse and could very well be one of the best players taken in this draft. We have to see how athletic he is.

HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

4/5/2019  11:25 AM
fishmike wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
fishmike wrote:

1) Zion (duh)
2-4) Culver, Ja, RJ

trading the pick for AD would be the worst IMO. We can sign 2 max FAs. It will take more than just our #1 this year to get AD. Its gonna be KD and Kyrie. If we we are 2-3 and ATL has a hard on for RJ I would love to trade down and take their #5 and #6. Might have to give them a Dallas pick back but its something to look at.

Knicks need to not only sign a couple stars (I do think its KD+Kyrie as both have something to prove and both can prove it here together) but they need to draft well. If KD/KI sign we will end up getting some quality vets to sign for cheap because it will be great fun. What we really need a legit pipeline. A couple of blue chips in this draft would go a long way.

AD is great, but you gut your team and now cant afford to build a team around him.

Agree with most. Also feel Boston probably puts together the best package for AD. Doesn't hurt to dream that NO gets desperate and takes something like our first two picks this year plus some fillers for him. Would not call that gutting the team. Think KD, AD and Irving has finals potential.

Still keeping it real and realizing we have had the proverbial football pulled many times. So ready to accepr Kemba and Butler with a decent 5 pick and another pick with famous "Knick fan potential".

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
May 14th... what would be disapointing to you?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy