[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

I’d like to see........
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/11/2019  8:23 AM
A player like Durant might want a two year opt out but also be nice a team option too.
Melo’s career was muddled at the end by his contract.
If Durant’s talents move down and he is not the star anymore the negativity and brand destruction is not how you want to end your career. Dirk took big cuts in pay and perhaps bitcoin in off shore accounts if logic dictates (or favorble buy in terms for % of team post playing career) but he was not saddled with blame for the teams demise nor faced ridicule from fans for the big money paid.
That has a lot to do with it.
Pierce and Garnett were Lucky nets made that deal as they got to leave Boston as legends.
My hopes for Knicks is that going forward we don’t get clumsy with 30+ players like Ewing, Amare, Melo and Marbles were. My hopes is they want dignity too. Works both ways!
AUTOADVERT
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
3/11/2019  10:27 AM
Nalod wrote:A player like Durant might want a two year opt out but also be nice a team option too.
If Durant’s talents move down and he is not the star anymore the negativity and brand destruction is not how you want to end your career. Dirk took big cuts in pay and perhaps bitcoin in off shore accounts if logic dictates (or favorble buy in terms for % of team post playing career) but he was not saddled with blame for the teams demise nor faced ridicule from fans for the big money paid.
Pierce and Garnett were Lucky nets made that deal as they got to leave Boston as legends.
My hopes for Knicks is that going forward we don’t get clumsy with 30+ players like Ewing, Amare, Melo and Marbles were. My hopes is they want dignity too. Works both ways!

I think you over-complicating.
Player is a mercenary. As a player you go with bigger $$$ you can get.
This is up to organization what the priority is. And this is dictated by market. By what fan base and especially donors want from the team.
Clearly Dolan and FO were concentrated on entertainment value not the bbal quality.
Of course there is a price tag attached to greatness but mostly it is hard to profit from it.
Greatness is a charity not business.
Cuban and Dirk are outlines. They are not of mainstream American mentality dudes. More Europeans which Dirk is.
Searching for a piece of mind after monetary future is settled. It rare here.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
Nalod
USA
3/11/2019  1:01 PM
arkrud wrote:
Nalod wrote:A player like Durant might want a two year opt out but also be nice a team option too.

I think you over-complicating.
Player is a mercenary. As a player you go with bigger $$$ you can get.
This is up to organization what the priority is. And this is dictated by market. By what fan base and especially donors want from the team.
Clearly Dolan and FO were concentrated on entertainment value not the bbal quality.
Of course there is a price tag attached to greatness but mostly it is hard to profit from it.
Greatness is a charity not business.
Cuban and Dirk are outlines. They are not of mainstream American mentality dudes. More Europeans which Dirk is.
Searching for a piece of mind after monetary future is settled. It rare here.

.......yes, and that's what I'd like to see. Its rare or its luck.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

3/11/2019  2:47 PM
Dirk was a Mavs lifer. Ewing couldnt wait to leave. KP and brother made a parting of ways, inevitable. Lots of things have to go right for a star to stick with a team their entire career.

Until I know who Durant wants to play "Super Friends" with, to join the Knicks. Hard to say if he would be worth it. A short term deal is nice, but what the Knicks would do to make Durant want to sign for a quick run at a title, is also worth factoring in. If you're Perry/Mills.

Dont want to see the team gutted of a future in classic Knicks style, for a couple of years of going deep in the playoffs, but likely not getting to the finals.

Nalod
USA
3/11/2019  3:53 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Dirk was a Mavs lifer. Ewing couldnt wait to leave. KP and brother made a parting of ways, inevitable. Lots of things have to go right for a star to stick with a team their entire career.

Until I know who Durant wants to play "Super Friends" with, to join the Knicks. Hard to say if he would be worth it. A short term deal is nice, but what the Knicks would do to make Durant want to sign for a quick run at a title, is also worth factoring in. If you're Perry/Mills.

Dont want to see the team gutted of a future in classic Knicks style, for a couple of years of going deep in the playoffs, but likely not getting to the finals.

I don't care about a lifer, its about a graceful ending for all parties. Not just a HOF getting paid "his money" when the team struggles because of it. I recall in 1996 when ewing was up for his last contract and Nellie wanted him gone. We all kind of freaked out with life after ewing. Its debatable if Shaq would have resigned here but even if not, we got hamstrung by Ewings contract. Melo couldn't find his way to a better situation. Not a good way to end an HOF career. Not saying he has to ride the coat tails to get a ring but some relevancy at the end?

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

3/11/2019  5:35 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/11/2019  5:58 PM
Nalod wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Dirk was a Mavs lifer. Ewing couldnt wait to leave. KP and brother made a parting of ways, inevitable. Lots of things have to go right for a star to stick with a team their entire career.

I don't care about a lifer, its about a graceful ending for all parties. Not just a HOF getting paid "his money" when the team struggles because of it. I recall in 1996 when ewing was up for his last contract and Nellie wanted him gone. We all kind of freaked out with life after ewing. Its debatable if Shaq would have resigned here but even if not, we got hamstrung by Ewings contract. Melo couldn't find his way to a better situation. Not a good way to end an HOF career. Not saying he has to ride the coat tails to get a ring but some relevancy at the end?

Mgmt let Ewing dictate when he left, which was during the season. Was well aware that not waiting until the offseason, hamstrung the Knicks. A graceful exit became unlikely for Melo, when he got that NTC.

Could of been traded a few seasons earlier to a contender, while he still could make a difference. Guess it depends on with who you're expecting to have an amicable parting of ways.

They were given the power (in their own way), to dictate the terms of their departure, and decided to force their way out. No matter how it affected the Knicks. I consider it lesson learned for Perry and Mills, in the way they traded KP, before he could hold the team hostage.

There you go again trying to blame Mills!

Nalod
USA
3/12/2019  8:24 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
Nalod wrote:

Mgmt let Ewing dictate when he left, which was during the season. Was well aware that not waiting until the offseason, hamstrung the Knicks. A graceful exit became unlikely for Melo, when he got that NTC.

Could of been traded a few seasons earlier to a contender, while he still could make a difference. Guess it depends on with who you're expecting to have an amicable parting of ways.

They were given the power (in their own way), to dictate the terms of their departure, and decided to force their way out. No matter how it affected the Knicks. I consider it lesson learned for Perry and Mills, in the way they traded KP, before he could hold the team hostage.

There you go again trying to blame Mills!

You bring up a good point and no doubt teams are the enablers. Players and Agents have the leverage and are in a culture where the contracts become monuments to their ego. Sometimes the money is to hard to ignore.

Derrick Rose makes 14mil from adidas but has to play proball. This kid has gone thru hell to sty on the court. I’m just wondering if he did not need/want the money would he still go thru all this?
PUblically Joakim Noah seems remorseful but is he? He mailed it in for the money. Can’t blame himm but these guaranteed contracts are a problem. He felt perhaps he deserved the money on past accomplishments. Sure we gave melo the NTC and in the end it was compromised for a team that wanted him.

I like the Contract Embiid got from Philly and perhaps NBA can design contracts that are performance based on a metric of expectations. Say on a 5 year deal contract as guarantee 3 years. Season 4 Play 65 games, you get renewed for the next season. Play less its at the teams option. player can prove his health the market will provide his value. If its an anomaly the team can decide as such and waive it.

Knicks we found out (it was not public until KP Left)with KP and it was not received well. Naturally it will take years to know if we did the right thing result wise but as I am adamant about the decision process adding up, I have to applaud the decision on paper as a good on. Time and results will “Grade” the trade properly.

I’d like to see........

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy