[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Damn Knox your killing us
Author Thread
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
3/8/2019  9:41 AM
GustavBahler wrote:We will have a better idea of Knox's ceiling next season, after he's had some time to get in better shape. Was against starting Knox so soon, thought he should have been brought along slower. I like the idea of Knox working through his mistakes, but the minutes have been clearly too much for him.

If Frank had been a starter his rookie year, since early in the season. More minutes, playing mostly against starting units, I can only imagine what his numbers would have been like on both sides of the ball.

Frank hasn't prove he could handle 20/25 minutes per night, JH specifically said the kid was exhausted.

Knox played like this against other guys his size and age in HS and college. Playing stupid has nothing to do with getting stronger, he has never pass the ball at any level, his defense is a after thought, and and he has always been a disappearing act(heads in the clouds) kind of player. These were the knocks coming in, and he has done nothing to silent the critics.

who's showing him the right way to play, is it frank, DSJ, Mitch, Trier, lance, luke, THJ, Noah, Mario... You get my point

ES
AUTOADVERT
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

3/8/2019  10:03 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:We will have a better idea of Knox's ceiling next season, after he's had some time to get in better shape. Was against starting Knox so soon, thought he should have been brought along slower. I like the idea of Knox working through his mistakes, but the minutes have been clearly too much for him.

If Frank had been a starter his rookie year, since early in the season. More minutes, playing mostly against starting units, I can only imagine what his numbers would have been like on both sides of the ball.

Frank hasn't prove he could handle 20/25 minutes per night, JH specifically said the kid was exhausted.

Knox played like this against other guys his size and age in HS and college. Playing stupid has nothing to do with getting stronger, he has never pass the ball at any level, his defense is a after thought, and and he has always been a disappearing act(heads in the clouds) kind of player. These were the knocks coming in, and he has done nothing to silent the critics.

who's showing him the right way to play, is it frank, DSJ, Mitch, Trier, lance, luke, THJ, Noah, Mario... You get my point

You keep suggesting that Knox hasnt had any good stretches as a pro. Thats false. Were those games indicative of how he played in college? Knox was playing well near the end of last year, then he fell off a cliff.

Im guessing that conditioning played a big part. You are correct that Frank couldnt handle more minutes. They flashed a stat on the screen, the last game which showed that Knox was getting a lot of minutes historically for a rookie, his age.

Frank couldnt handle the extra minutes, Knox has shown at his stage, that he cant either. Until Knox gets in better shape, has a chance to work on his game over the summer, proclaiming him to be a bust, is really silly.

knicks1248
3/8/2019  10:33 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/8/2019  10:34 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

You keep suggesting that Knox hasnt had any good stretches as a pro. Thats false. Were those games indicative of how he played in college? Knox was playing well near the end of last year, then he fell off a cliff.

Im guessing that conditioning played a big part. You are correct that Frank couldnt handle more minutes. They flashed a stat on the screen, the last game which showed that Knox was getting a lot of minutes historically for a rookie, his age.

Frank couldnt handle the extra minutes, Knox has shown at his stage, that he cant either. Until Knox gets in better shape, has a chance to work on his game over the summer, proclaiming him to be a bust, is really silly.

It's really the whole development process is a complete joke. Guys like knox and frank should be starting out at the end of the bench on a really good team, they need to be sitting and hanging with good veterans, on the bench, in the film room, in the hotel, in the gym, at the club.

Some of you don't take into consideration of the city these kids play in, it's not easy for some vets let alone 19-22 yr olds.

ES
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/8/2019  11:13 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

It's really the whole development process is a complete joke. Guys like knox and frank should be starting out at the end of the bench on a really good team, they need to be sitting and hanging with good veterans, on the bench, in the film room, in the hotel, in the gym, at the club.

Some of you don't take into consideration of the city these kids play in, it's not easy for some vets let alone 19-22 yr olds.

You make valid points but no consideration to alternatives. Draft guys with lower ceilings but that does not solve the core issue of "losing more than winning". Draft 3 guys with high ceilings perhaps one becomes allstar. In your rainman look: its it what it is and never change. Reality is Mitch looked awful at first and is doing some really good things now off the bench.
Fiz stated early that Knox will play and will be exhausted. he wants him to play thru it. Knox looks like most rookies. A good team would have him on the bench. A bad team has to push the process.
Frank is underachieving but is not a bona fide bust. We don't have to get into the details because it makes you giggle. You like to start your posts with "I have to laugh when"........ Frank has not played in weeks. Why? Seem a mystery. Mystery's must only have conspiracy otherwise they make no sense. We are not privy to his physical condition. Maybe he is undergoing some secret brain washing to remove his "Frenchness" and instead be more "AAU" as some have suggested he adapt. Or He is secretly working on his shot. He'll get good run the last 10 games of the season to either raise his value for trade or demonstrate his ability to be part of the paradigm going forward. AKA: "Who the phuck knows??"

GustavBahler

3/8/2019  11:21 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

Wanted to see more ball movement at times this season, still its the youngest team in the league. The ideal situation you're describing is a team like GS, or the Spurs. This franchise is at a crossroads, lots of decisions to be made, as far as free agency, the draft, who to keep. Can understand why its gotten so ugly on the court.

Derek Fisher (for a different reason) did the same thing, kept moving players in and out of the starting lineup, and the team never really gelled.

Next season, we should.have at least one star, maybe someone to help mentor Knox. Hard to pick up things from the youngest team in the league, most of them are learning too.

Nalod
USA
3/8/2019  11:40 AM
The notion of "Mentoring" is a bit overblown. That's not to say its black and white, works or it don't. Young players need redundant coaching or "Mentoring" until it becomes instinct. As I have said before you look at these guys in person they are physically young for their age. This is why some think they need to time to grow into the body. For us parents we have told our kids over and over things but until its experienced and they act on it, it then transforms from "information to knowledge". Mitch is doing things now he did not do a few weeks ago. Its not like a light bulb went off, it is instinctive and learned skill. Some of us think we have diagnosed Frank or Knox's issues. We have not. We are not coaches or scouts. We apply logic as we know it.
Some of us know more than others. I have enough to not label these kids with "Never".
GustavBahler

3/8/2019  12:18 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/8/2019  12:21 PM
Nalod wrote:The notion of "Mentoring" is a bit overblown. That's not to say its black and white, works or it don't. Young players need redundant coaching or "Mentoring" until it becomes instinct. As I have said before you look at these guys in person they are physically young for their age. This is why some think they need to time to grow into the body. For us parents we have told our kids over and over things but until its experienced and they act on it, it then transforms from "information to knowledge". Mitch is doing things now he did not do a few weeks ago. Its not like a light bulb went off, it is instinctive and learned skill. Some of us think we have diagnosed Frank or Knox's issues. We have not. We are not coaches or scouts. We apply logic as we know it.
Some of us know more than others. I have enough to not label these kids with "Never".

Disagree, Clyde talks about it all the time...

Nash on mentoring

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_56a82abce4b0947efb65ef5b/amp

Nalod
USA
3/8/2019  12:55 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
Nalod wrote:The notion of "Mentoring" is a bit overblown. That's not to say its black and white, works or it don't. Young players need redundant coaching or "Mentoring" until it becomes instinct. As I have said before you look at these guys in person they are physically young for their age. This is why some think they need to time to grow into the body. For us parents we have told our kids over and over things but until its experienced and they act on it, it then transforms from "information to knowledge". Mitch is doing things now he did not do a few weeks ago. Its not like a light bulb went off, it is instinctive and learned skill. Some of us think we have diagnosed Frank or Knox's issues. We have not. We are not coaches or scouts. We apply logic as we know it.

Nash on mentoring

In the thought that a kid that can be coached, can be mentored, and if not coachable, not very apt to accept mentorship.
That's my line.
This team right now is perhaps more inline to do this youth tank thing as we not going anywhere. I agree to move the needle with a young group you need strong mentorship. Might not be as abundant as we think. As for clyde, he has talked with some of the guys as mentioned. Mentorhship is a commitment beyond once in a while talks. We are not around the team to know what Lance and Ene's effect was. Clee and Timmy are veterans too. HOw good were they at mentorship? Tough to say.

knicks1248
3/8/2019  1:06 PM
GustavBahler wrote:

Nash on mentoring

The fact that both perry and fiz stress this in september and clearly didn't do anything to change it, tells me a lot about the FO..

Like if you have even the smallest of bubble on your tire, there is like a 90% chance of that tire blowing out on the highway, so why would you do it..

I have no patiences for people who do the same thing and expect different results

ES
Nalod
USA
3/8/2019  2:38 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Nash on mentoring

The fact that both perry and fiz stress this in september and clearly didn't do anything to change it, tells me a lot about the FO..

Like if you have even the smallest of bubble on your tire, there is like a 90% chance of that tire blowing out on the highway, so why would you do it..

I have no patiences for people who do the same thing and expect different results

They have bought in Rasheed, Ewing, Clyde, and other ex knicks this season. They had Timmy, Clee, Lance and Enes as Vets.
Last year they had Jack doing a great job at the point.
I have no patience for lazy posters.
Fiz is on record for bringing in people. There are not too many vets that want to be on Tanks for min money and are qualified to mentor yoots. Just telling guys stuff is not mentorship.
Clyde saying "I would tell them not to do that" is not mentorship. You have coaches working with these guys every day.
Going the extra mile on details. Maybe the young guys should be seeking out mentors?
Knox has Charlie Ward and his dad. Not all time greats but very accomplished. Often its the non stars that are great mentors.

knicks1248
3/8/2019  3:33 PM
Nalod wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Nash on mentoring

They have bought in Rasheed, Ewing, Clyde, and other ex knicks this season. They had Timmy, Clee, Lance and Enes as Vets.

Fiz is on record for bringing in people. There are not too many vets that want to be on Tanks for min money and are qualified to mentor yoots. Just telling guys stuff is not mentorship.
Clyde saying "I would tell them not to do that" is not mentorship. You have coaches working with these guys every day.
Going the extra mile on details. Maybe the young guys should be seeking out mentors?
Knox has Charlie Ward and his dad. Not all time greats but very accomplished. Often its the non stars that are great mentors.

Those are not mentors, is clyde or ewing sitting on the bench, in the film room, at the hotel, in the clubs..you think a little speech is what matters..THJ needs a mentor as well, and clee is cool but he is not a PG, he is not a ball handler.

Fiz gave all the credit to D jordan for mitch's progress, he's a center..wake up fool

THJ is still trying to find his way..give me a break dude, you definitely say some retarded sht sometimes just to disagree with me

ES
Nalod
USA
3/8/2019  4:23 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Nalod wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Nash on mentoring

Those are not mentors, is clyde or ewing sitting on the bench, in the film room, at the hotel, in the clubs..you think a little speech is what matters..THJ needs a mentor as well, and clee is cool but he is not a PG, he is not a ball handler.

Fiz gave all the credit to D jordan for mitch's progress, he's a center..wake up fool

THJ is still trying to find his way..give me a break dude, you definitely say some retarded sht sometimes just to disagree with me

You always say some retarted shy.........
Oh, sorry.
Cuz you that Rainman!!!
We basically agree on the mentorship thing. I might have jumped on that one a bit much.
I doubt two weeks of Deandre Jordan made Mitch. its a good thing regardless of who to credit. I'd say good coaching, and some good words by him but its mostly mitch.
it would be expected if we kept our yoot that Kyrie and Durant would mentor them. Its in their best interests.
That Kyrie is not being an good uncle Drew this year might have SOMETHING to do with the Celtic chemistry. Kyrie is the Vocal leader right or wrong.
He learned from his time with Lebron, he might be learning too. Have to give guys a chance to learn and grow.
Unless your the Rainman were everyone is frozen as you argue them.
In that case your never wrong are you?

TripleThreat
Member: #3997

3/8/2019  5:52 PM
Nalod wrote:They have brought in Rasheed, Ewing, Clyde, and other ex knicks this season. They had Timmy, Clee, Lance and Enes as Vets.

Teams "hire" former players or ex-teammates because it's simply easier to have them on payroll than to just keep lending them money or giving them premium ticket space/seats. They then can be shielded a bit liability wise, can be held to some kind of contract and offer some small tax write offs over the long haul. Also some of these guys will try to scratch out money selling info to tabloids or for future books or media sports personalities to stir **** up.

Jerry Reisendorf gave Scottie Pippen one last gift contract at the end of his career because Pippen was broke. He blew the money like he blew all his other money. So the easiest thing to do at the end was to just hire Pippen and basically manage his money for him so he wouldn't starve.

Mentorship is a push/pull dynamic. Veterans lose their jobs to cheaper cost controlled rookies. So why would you want to train your replacement? Jared Jefferies was at the end of his career and took in Jeremy Lin and Iman Shumpert under his wing. In part because it helps open up future coaching opportunities later. Or a spot in a front office or some other role on a team.

IF "MENTORSHIP" HAPPENS, A VETERAN PLAYER USUALLY HAS A PERSONAL INCENTIVE TO "MENTOR" A YOUNGER PLAYER WHO IS LIKELY TO REPLACE HIM SOON ON THE ROSTER AND CAP.

If there is no incentive, then he won't do it.

The Jets had a veteran fullback, Richardson, who took in Rex Ryans new pet toy, John "Terminator" Conner, under his wing during training cap because it was clear the veteran was likely not going to make the roster. Get a good rep, show some coaching chops, show some leadership, that only helps you into a non playing role later.

Andrew "Baby Hawk" Hawkins is a master class case of making a career out of nothing. Fringe player, who ended up in Michael Irvin's show 4th And Long and managed to parlay that into a training camp invite to the Bengals then eventually ended up on the Patriots. He was offered a front office internship in EVERY FRANCHISE he passed through (As it was clear he was a fringe guy who might not make a 53 ). He just impressed the **** out of people. He worked with younger players as a veteran, was good with the media, was good with the coaches, the fans, the support staff. He was offered jobs by the networks, the brands and by agents at their firms. In an environment where nearly everyone is a narcissistic idiot, Baby Hawk was a true breath of fresh air.

No one wants to be associated much with Ewing, Abdul Jabbar or an Oakley because they are jerks and spent their careers as jerks. Oak would actively try to hurt young/fringe guys in the preseason. Think about it, some guy who would have to fight and be lucky to be the last guy on the roster, and Oak is basically beating you down every practice. Going after your lower back, your knees, driving you into the ground, taking body shots at you, tormenting you in the locker room, **** talking you in games, well lots of those guys ended up having to work in other areas of the game. The media, rep agencies, the brands, the leagues, other teams in a non playing role. You think they forgot that ****? Oak was a great player for the Knicks. He also has a rep as truly craptastic person and human being.

Sometimes you get a Andrew Hawkins. You hire him because he makes everything and everyone better.

Most of the time? It's about a broke ass mother****er who you want to stop begging and crying for money and tickets and free stuff.

Most of you are still in the working world. Are you telling me none of you have a guy on your payroll that might be able to the job, but you'd be happy as **** if he got hit by a car and never came back, or got fired or moved out of state and disappeared forever?

You have to LIVE with this people. You have spend ungodly hours with these people. You have to travel, eat, sleep, work, socialize, train, bleed, sweat, cry, celebrate, struggle, fight, and family up these people. It's hard enough to do this with players you can't dump ( guaranteed contracts, star players, nepotism cases), but in an area you can control (former players), why take the headache if you don't need it?

"Why don't the Knicks take in former Player X to be a coach/mentor/front office trainee?"

Probably the same reason no other team in the league wants him either, because he's an exhausting mother****er to be around. These are still just PEOPLE, and they all have the SAME PEOPLE PROBLEMS as any other industry.

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
3/11/2019  9:08 AM
14 paragraphs to say "everybody ****s"
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
3/11/2019  10:15 AM
jrodmc wrote:14 paragraphs to say "everybody ****s"

Not everybody but some specific group of self-entitled spoiled brats which is a common cultural character in NBA specifically and in pro sport in general. You can put a ball in the hole and get paid millions for that. So why not became entangled in thinking that you can do whatever you want. NBA fraternity is well aware and have the whole system to deal with this bunch.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
PresIke
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #33
USA
3/11/2019  11:45 PM
So those pre-season predictions after summer league of clear All-Star are being pulled back a bit, eh?
Forum Po Po and #33 for a reason...
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
3/12/2019  1:09 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

#1 these kids should be molded and trained within good habits from when they first started to play organized bball until they make the league. It should be embedded in them when they are at their highest level of Influence. It shouldn't be them waiting until they reach the NBA to now need mentorship into how to play winning basketball. Mentorship should be more so about tips and tricks to reach new levels on an already established foundation of winning bball built up through the decade plus most of these kids have been playing ball.

There isn't any real evidence that having them sit on the bench or giving them mins early in their careers will make or ruin players. There are players who sat at the end of benches and never became good. There are players who got mins early and struggled then kicked into new gears in their careers. Ultimately the only common trait for success has been work ethic and being used in the correct setting given the advantages and disadvantages. Confidence is also one of the bigger factors. Giving them small roles within their skill sets then expanding those roles as they grow to maintain confidence within their strengths.

I think Knox will be a stretch 4 when it's all said and done and not a 3. Problem is he isnt strong enough yet to be a consistent 4 and isn't agile enough defensively to be a 3. Once he gets his strength up and is utilized in more of a stretch 4 role who can put the ball on the floor he will find a role that he is successful in. This could then build his confidence. He wouldn't be a complete bball player until he created for others. But he may fair better defensively vs 4s with added strength. But he may be a few seasons away from that.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
newyorknewyork
3/12/2019  1:13 PM
PS. Dotson and Mitch seem to be developing smoothly with the same setup. Being 2 way players with identified roles who work within their skill sets has helped them drastically.

If Dotson and Mitch only cared about scoring and non of the other little things then they wouldnt be progressing the way they are now.

TripleThreat
Member: #3997

3/12/2019  2:33 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/12/2019  2:39 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:#1 these kids should be molded and trained within good habits from when they first started to play organized bball until they make the league.

Ultimately the only common trait for success .....

The baseline problem is the gaps in tiers of talent in high level basketball is vast.

A top prospect, or even a top 200 prospect will smoke nearly everyone else out of a gym. When you never challenged, it's easy to get by on what you have right now. Going against elite competition consistently forces you to be a better player/prospect.

The advantage Curry and Thompson had before they were GSW came from playing against their dads, NBA veterans. Marc Gasol had to go to war on the court growing up against a future HOFer in Pau Gasol.

Talent is the common trait for success.

One of the core problems with the NBA is there is a minimum height/athleticism threshold that is hard to find. Those who have some of it can excel at lower levels by pure domination. They get to the top of the mountain and it's a different story.

The worst guy in the G League is a world class athlete. The worst guy on his college team was a top 2 percent athlete in the nation.

Talent trumps all in the NBA. You can have all the intangibles, but if you CANNOT adjust/counter adjust at NBA game speed, you are plain ****ed.

"Development" in the NBA is overblown. Most guys cannot dominate at this level. So they must change their game TO FIT A ROLE. Something they never had to do before. They need to build a rapport with the refs, build up conditioning for this kind of grind, learn how to cycle PEDS at this level, and do lots of film work/scouting work and fill out a bit physically. Very little of this has to do with a coach telling them how to play the game. Or how to prepare. Basketball is an insanely simple game. These guys have been told where to be, what to do, at what time, their entire lives.

newyorknewyork
3/12/2019  3:32 PM
TripleThreat wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:#1 these kids should be molded and trained within good habits from when they first started to play organized bball until they make the league.

Ultimately the only common trait for success .....

The baseline problem is the gaps in tiers of talent in high level basketball is vast.

A top prospect, or even a top 200 prospect will smoke nearly everyone else out of a gym. When you never challenged, it's easy to get by on what you have right now. Going against elite competition consistently forces you to be a better player/prospect.

The advantage Curry and Thompson had before they were GSW came from playing against their dads, NBA veterans. Marc Gasol had to go to war on the court growing up against a future HOFer in Pau Gasol.

Talent is the common trait for success.

One of the core problems with the NBA is there is a minimum height/athleticism threshold that is hard to find. Those who have some of it can excel at lower levels by pure domination. They get to the top of the mountain and it's a different story.

The worst guy in the G League is a world class athlete. The worst guy on his college team was a top 2 percent athlete in the nation.

Talent trumps all in the NBA. You can have all the intangibles, but if you CANNOT adjust/counter adjust at NBA game speed, you are plain ****ed.

"Development" in the NBA is overblown. Most guys cannot dominate at this level. So they must change their game TO FIT A ROLE. Something they never had to do before. They need to build a rapport with the refs, build up conditioning for this kind of grind, learn how to cycle PEDS at this level, and do lots of film work/scouting work and fill out a bit physically. Very little of this has to do with a coach telling them how to play the game. Or how to prepare. Basketball is an insanely simple game. These guys have been told where to be, what to do, at what time, their entire lives.

Most of what you said goes without saying. Nobody is making it to the NBA without talent. So my statements are all prefaced with the players actually having NBA talent first and foremost.

While I agree with the sentiment about kids being able to dominate so much they get to get away with not developing complete games. But that comes down to the coaches allowing it. On a way lesser level I coached Boys and Girls club bball for about 4 years. Had basically LeBron James of the league on my team as he was my assistant coaches step son. He was multiple levels above his comp. He is going on 5 yrs straight since he was 8 winning the league championship. Regardless of the fact that he could take over anytime he wanted. I constantly drilled into him how to incorporate his game into a team setting and be a complete player. He would constantly go to clinics and plays for a traveling team etc. He would get tons of training on how to develop his skill level like handle and shooting and layups etc etc.. But what (from my perspective) was lacking was the training on IQ. It like for IQ they treat it as either you got it or you don't. Not as much effort put into developing that.

Damn Knox your killing us

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy