[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

D'Angelo or Kryie

Author Poll
MS
Member: #724
Is it a mistake to dismiss D'Angelo Russell as the second near max signing this offseason? Brooklyn may not be MSG, but the kid is delivering and is the unquestioned leader of the Nets this season. Meanwhile everything surrounding Kryie Irving, seems like a drama filled distraction. The guy can't seem to make up his mind and the Boston locker room seems to be one of the most toxic places in the league. His teammates seem to play better without him and that's not even bringing up the fact that he's been injured his hole career, starting in college.

Throw in the benefit of a potential Kevin Durant pairing and you have to ask yourself who has more upside. A 23 year guard coming into his prime or Kyrie Irving? We know Irving can close, but can he stay healthy.

The numbers in year are definitely interesting...

Year 4 in the league

Russell
20.6pts 6.7ass 3.8ass 43%

Irving

21.7pts 5.2ass 3.2rbs 46% (With Lebron James)

D'Angelo Russel
Kyrie Irving
View Results

Author Thread
technomaster
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #426
USA
2/28/2019  12:21 PM
I'm all-in for whoever KD wants to play with. :)

Kyrie is a better player now and I don't know if Russell will ever catch up. Statistically (at least based on year-4 numbers) are pretty even.

Russell is absolutely playing his best basketball now and is putting up strong numbers. He had his fair share of growing pains in his first 3 seasons, leading up to the first quarter of this season. He's really been turning it on and looks like the unquestioned leader of the Nets now. Earlier this season LeVert and Dinwiddie looked like on an even plane, or perhaps even better.

But he's an RFA - and is basically in the same contract situation as KP. The Nets probably would match any offer.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/28/2019  1:18 PM
Be interesting to see if the Durant thing plays out who his "Huckleberry" will be.
For the money I'd just assume Dennis Smith than D'angelo and its price effeictive.
Im ok with Kyrie for Dennis to learn from and eventually be trade fodder. Good teams still develop assets!!!
Before any of this we know our draft status and who might be there. Durant gets a say in all this. Does he want to "win now" or is he patient to grow this team organically from to playoff contender, to title contender over 3 years?
Knickoftime
Member: #3370

2/28/2019  2:17 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/28/2019  5:48 PM
Here are a couple of interesting comps. All per 100 possessions.

D-Lo as a 20 year old year 2 player:

.405 FG% .352 3FG% 5.1 FTA 5.9 RB 8.2 AST 2.3 STL 4.7 TO 26.5 PTS 101 ORTG 113 DRTG

D-Lo as a 21-year told year 3 player:

.414 FG% .324 3FG% 5.2 FTA 7.2 RB 9.8 AST 1.4 STL 5.8 TO 29.2 PTS 98 ORTG 111 DRTG

Player x as a 21 year old year 2 player:

.436 FG% .331 3FG% 5.4 FTA 5.0 RB 8.2 AST 2.3 STL 5.0 TO 22.9 PTS 98 ORTG 111 DRTG

Guess who player x is?

GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
2/28/2019  3:01 PM
kyrie is a primadona. bad fit.
smackeddog
Member: #883
2/28/2019  4:14 PM
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:kyrie is a primadona. bad fit.

But friends with KD which is important

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

2/28/2019  5:11 PM
smackeddog wrote:

Not important enough to give Irving a max contract, no way. Dont care what Durant wants, not worth bringing in Marbury, the sequel.

Knickoftime
Member: #3370

2/28/2019  5:48 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/28/2019  5:48 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

Not important enough to give Irving a max contract, no way. Dont care what Durant wants, not worth bringing in Marbury, the sequel.

Irving has been to 3 finals, has a ring, and this year will be the 5th team he has been on that will go to the postseason.

If he’s a sequel he’s Wrath of Khan.

jskinny35
Member: #928
USA
2/28/2019  7:06 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

This - don't do it even if we don't get Durant because he will only play with his buddy. Letting his buddy dictate things will hamper the FO's ability to run the show. Don't like the idea of 2 non-Knick players coming in to run things for a few years and then age out. Can always not use the available money and keep options open for the unknown future. Maybe Davis doesn't go to the Celtics or next year Kawhi wants out of wherever he's playing. Point is you don't always have to spend money on whatever's available in the moment. Not a Kyrie fan and think the idea of taking him b/c he's the best available or b/c he's Durant's bud is not a wise decision.

Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

2/28/2019  7:18 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/28/2019  7:18 PM
jskinny35 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

This - don't do it even if we don't get Durant because he will only play with his buddy. Letting his buddy dictate things will hamper the FO's ability to run the show. Don't like the idea of 2 non-Knick players coming in to run things for a few years and then age out. Can always not use the available money and keep options open for the unknown future. Maybe Davis doesn't go to the Celtics or next year Kawhi wants out of wherever he's playing. Point is you don't always have to spend money on whatever's available in the moment. Not a Kyrie fan and think the idea of taking him b/c he's the best available or b/c he's Durant's bud is not a wise decision.

Whatever's available sounds like blowing all of our cap space on Amare Stoudamire, a player who we bid against ourselves for and who coulnd't get no-where near the money we gave him from any other team. Whatever's available just so happens to be the 2x finals MVP, and arguably the best player in the league in Durant. Kyrie is 26 years old and is a top 15 player in the league...Last season before he got hurt, he was in the running for league MVP....was the co-MVP in the finals when the Cavs beat the Warriors. On top of that, unlike Amare, Theri are teams that will give Kyrie the max including his own...

Perry and Mills are in the business to win championships...If they have the opportunity to add 2 champions who are still in the prime of their careers, AND, they actually want to come here, you have to do it!

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

2/28/2019  7:37 PM
Uptown wrote:
jskinny35 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

Whatever's available sounds like blowing all of our cap space on Amare Stoudamire, a player who we bid against ourselves for and who coulnd't get no-where near the money we gave him from any other team. Whatever's available just so happens to be the 2x finals MVP, and arguably the best player in the league in Durant. Kyrie is 26 years old and is a top 15 player in the league...Last season before he got hurt, he was in the running for league MVP....was the co-MVP in the finals when the Cavs beat the Warriors. On top of that, unlike Amare, Theri are teams that will give Kyrie the max including his own...

Perry and Mills are in the business to win championships...If they have the opportunity to add 2 champions who are still in the prime of their careers, AND, they actually want to come here, you have to do it!

Word is bond? Kyrie said he would be back in Boston. I was for bringing Kyrie to NY before his last major injury. Not like I have an agenda. Im looking at the player right now.

The numbers are good, but his relationship with his teammates is lousy. Not someone I would call a candidate to stay healthy,.or mentor our recent draft picks. Too much drama with Irving. No max contract for a PG. Not a good move for the Knicks, or historically.

jskinny35
Member: #928
USA
2/28/2019  8:23 PM
The numbers are good, but his relationship with his teammates is lousy. Not someone I would call a candidate to stay healthy,.or mentor our recent draft picks. Too much drama with Irving. No max contract for a PG. Not a good move for the Knicks, or historically.

The Celtics have played better without him this year, he has been injury-prone and doesn't play defense. I'm biased toward 2 way players so the Knicks don't have to construct rosters around flawed max stars like Carmelo, Amare (and Kyrie). Why is it so unreasonable to only give a player over 20/25 million a year and expect them to play defense as hard as the guy making the minimum. I get it's an offensive-focused league these days, but why not save the big bucks for the 2 ways guys. Kawhi, Klay, Durant, J.Butler all play both sides... Kyrie just doesn't

Nalod
USA
2/28/2019  8:29 PM
How many beefs has he had before this season?
What is the true cause of this Celtic team to underperform.
Sometimes people learn from experience. Kid can play. I don’t want just him to lead a young team but to build “With” him is a different story.
This kid is far from being Marbury.
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
2/28/2019  11:22 PM
Timeline...
A lot of fans are too optimistic and they should be.
But I am not.
Irving is not a generational talent as KD or AD...
He is great player but window with him is short.
Margin of error is too high.
If KD will put him as a must piece to come here (and i doubt KD is so stupid) we may need to agree.
Otherwise Russel is better fit.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
Nalod
USA
3/1/2019  8:09 AM
D'angelo break out season and big money all to coincidental and it speaks to maturity, developing yoot, and potential.
He has the talent, but does he have the heart and work ethic outside the motivation for this contract?
I don't know. Doubt anyone here can say. His coaches perhaps. its not easy to look into a young mans soul.

What is so hard to determine is we are talking about the best 1% of players world wide and still teams still have to guess as to how much more these kids have in them.

Im in my 50' and materially and financially in a real good place. I wrestle with my apathy after I achieve a goal/milestone. It becomes the new norm and effort to just tread water in the same place. These kids are young and the money becomes the norm and the comfort is there but the grit that got them there is one thing, the grit to sustain it and perhaps move forward is not easy when your rolling in cash and all your dreams fulfilled.

arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
3/2/2019  11:18 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/2/2019  11:19 PM
Nalod wrote:D'angelo break out season and big money all to coincidental and it speaks to maturity, developing yoot, and potential.
He has the talent, but does he have the heart and work ethic outside the motivation for this contract?
I don't know. Doubt anyone here can say. His coaches perhaps. its not easy to look into a young mans soul.

What is so hard to determine is we are talking about the best 1% of players world wide and still teams still have to guess as to how much more these kids have in them.

Im in my 50' and materially and financially in a real good place. I wrestle with my apathy after I achieve a goal/milestone. It becomes the new norm and effort to just tread water in the same place. These kids are young and the money becomes the norm and the comfort is there but the grit that got them there is one thing, the grit to sustain it and perhaps move forward is not easy when your rolling in cash and all your dreams fulfilled.

Greatness has no boundaries... and this hunger is never satisfied.
I heard a lot of talk from modern day NBA stars including KD and Irving.
And all this talk about their personal greatness, about them being the best players they can be and so on.
The true greats were all about the Team. And they still are... but it is few of them in NBA our days.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
VCoug
Member: #1406

3/3/2019  1:19 AM

Yeah, it's kind of funny how many Knicks fans are ignoring this. Dude demanded a trade off of the best team in the East because he didn't want to play in Lebron's shadow. Now, on his current team is can't stop bitching and moaning because the young team that's probably going to win 50 games in back to back seasons isn't quite good enough to win a title. And we're going to try and sign him to be a 2nd banana on a team that won't be quite good enough to win a title for at least a couple of seasons? He also has a ridiculously long history of knee injuries.

Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

3/3/2019  1:28 AM
VCoug wrote:

Yeah, it's kind of funny how many Knicks fans are ignoring this. Dude demanded a trade off of the best team in the East because he didn't want to play in Lebron's shadow. Now, on his current team is can't stop bitching and moaning because the young team that's probably going to win 50 games in back to back seasons isn't quite good enough to win a title. And we're going to try and sign him to be a 2nd banana on a team that won't be quite good enough to win a title for at least a couple of seasons? He also has a ridiculously long history of knee injuries.

To be fair, everyone knew he was leaving. Heck, even this forum knew. You can't blame him for wanting to leave that train before it crashed.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
3/4/2019  11:23 AM
Kyrie is a talent that would be hard to pass up. I just don't like what I am seeing team wise with him. Maybe being the sidekick to KD and a top 3 pick along with the youth NY already has, he will embrace the leadership role and be the right player...and maybe not. We have seen him perfrom great with a top alpha before, so maybe he and KD works enough.

He does have a history of injury too, so another concern.

I am still in the KD, Kawhii camp. If not Kawhii, Kyrie is proably my 2nd choice but with DSj already here, he is a bit redundant. Also a lot depends on who the pick is. Zion or Barrett or OTHER.

Nalod
USA
3/4/2019  11:33 AM
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:Kyrie is a talent that would be hard to pass up. I just don't like what I am seeing team wise with him. Maybe being the sidekick to KD and a top 3 pick along with the youth NY already has, he will embrace the leadership role and be the right player...and maybe not. We have seen him perfrom great with a top alpha before, so maybe he and KD works enough.

I am still in the KD, Kawhii camp. If not Kawhii, Kyrie is proably my 2nd choice but with DSj already here, he is a bit redundant. Also a lot depends on who the pick is. Zion or Barrett or OTHER.

I agree. Thing is if he comes here as Durants Duputy he is upfront agreeing to it.
He was drafted by a Lebronless Cav's team and was relegated to be his little brother. At some point it got old for him. As defacto "leader" of Celtic team he is vocal but it may be pushback by others. Roziers has lost minutes in his contract year. Whats up with that? Is it on Kyrie or not? Big investment on Haywood and he has to play to get back. That on Kyrie? does Tatum have the patience and maturity to digest this or he wanting out? is he destined for Nola? Brown is up next and perhaps he wants to get paid too next year! Celts a victim of own success? I don't know, the expectations were super high last year and guys want to get paid. Boston promised to max him? Will they honor that or might they want him gone?

Kemet
Member: #6148

3/4/2019  4:46 PM
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:Kyrie is a talent that would be hard to pass up. I just don't like what I am seeing team wise with him. Maybe being the sidekick to KD and a top 3 pick along with the youth NY already has, he will embrace the leadership role and be the right player...and maybe not. We have seen him perfrom great with a top alpha before, so maybe he and KD works enough.

I like the idea of the Knicks having Kawhi & Durant & Zion to start the 2019-20 season to make a strong effort at getting to the ECF.
Kyrie & Durant are only good to make the playoff next season.
I would like to keep Kadeem, Frank, and DSJ next season, plus sign a veteran PG Rondo

D'Angelo or Kryie

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy