Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
2/25/2019  12:21 PM
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Uptown wrote:
homeskillitprigioni wrote:Dotson, Mitchell...and yeah DSJ were really good tonight.

I have not been a DSJ guy at all and didn't care when he put up the 31 point night or whatever it was because I felt like it was a fluke. If he's going to succeed as a winning player in this league, his game has to be what we saw tonight. He is not a good enough scorer or shooter to warrant the role he wanted in Dallas or what he played like he wanted here in these first few games. Tonight was the first time I saw him actually play the role he'd need to for it to even have a chance to work. I still don't think it's the role he's going to want but I'm an objective guy and will be the first to say I'm wrong if he does. Even then I'm not sure he's a good enough pure PG but he'll at least have a chance if he embraces that mentality.

All of that being said...no hesitation if any of these guys had to go in a deal for AD. Mitchell I'd try to keep out of it but that's not a deal-breaker in the end. And Dotson and DSJ are replaceable parts. Getting AD and one big FA would put this team in an incredible position to build a title contender.

Your post is very objective....Smith has had games like this before, tonight guys were knocking down shots, it's that simple. He's the best
all around pg on this team, hands down....He is a better defender than he is given credit for...The energy of the offense and the ball movement Spike's up (shout out to Spike Lee!!!)when he is on the floor. Hopefully he continues to play with same level of confidence he displayed last night.

disagree... Smith is great at being fast and getting a shot off. The league is full of those guys. He's never created for the team like he did tonight from start to finish. This was absolutely his best game as a Knick and hopefully one to grow on. He looked fantastic and so did the guys around him. Mitch, Dotson, Knox....

Smith jr has been getting the most minutes of his career, and its starting to pay dividends. Disagree that players with Smith jr's ability to get to the rim, kick out for a 3, are a dime a dozen.

Its not just being able to run fast, those players are a dime a dozen. Smith jr can use that speed in more ways than a player who mostly is fast at going north/south. Can put that speed to use in different ways, like slicing through the D for a lob to Mitch. Or those kick outs to Dotson. Not all fast players can do that, and with Smith jr's burst.

If anything, DSJ at times looks like he is trying to figure out how to make the best use of his speed. Gets ahead of the offense, turns the ball over. Didnt see that last night.

Fizdale is giving Smith jr the PT to work tbrough his mistakes, in a way he couldnt in Dallas.
We saw last night why its worth not trading Smith jr until we've had another season to see where his game is going.

fishmike wrote:Smith is great at being fast and getting a shot off. The league is full of those guys.

GustavBahler wrote:Disagree that players with Smith jr's ability to get to the rim, kick out for a 3, are a dime a dozen.
Right well... I didnt write that did I? That is the point. DSjr hasnt shown the ability to do that consistently. Last night he did.

GustavBahler wrote:Its not just being able to run fast, those players are a dime a dozen
this is exactly what I wrote which you disagreed with
Some nice stats from an article on Film School about Smith's play making since joining the Knicks. Pretty sure this is based on stats prior to last nights game.
Playmaking Vision
It would be easy to fall into the trap of thinking DSJ is a shoot-first gunner who doesn’t make his teammates better. Smith is not the archetype of a “pure” point guard, but it would be a mistake to underestimate his passing vision and playmaking ability. The guy is far from a black hole when he takes it to the rim. Per NBA.com, Smith passes the ball on 47.2% of his drives. That’s the 9th-highest percentage among the 64 players to record at least 400 drives this season. Even more impressive, The BBall Index ranks DSJ in the 97th percentile league-wide in their Playmaking category. Check out this montage of five skip/ cross-court passes:

Before the trade to New York, Smith was posting a league average efficiency on pick-and-rolls including passes, per Synergy. Considering Smith’s age and high-volume usage on pick-and-rolls, the fact that he is already average is extremely promising. In addition to kick-outs, Smith also keeps the bigs fed on lobs and dump-offs. DSJ has recorded 49 assists for the Knicks so far; 10 of those have been on alley-oop dunks (8 to DeAndre and 2 to Mitchell Robinson).

https://knicksfilmschool.com/2019/02/24/how-dennis-smith-jr-fits-with-frank-ntilikina/
Smith is just 21 years old. If he was 8 months younger I am sure that would be a talking point for some.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
AUTOADVERT
Cartman718
Member: #1694

2/25/2019  1:04 PM
martin wrote:
technomaster wrote:The Knicks even held out DeAndre Jordan to try to lose this one, but fact is that San Antonio hasn't been playing well (what is it, now 1-6 in their last 7 games?).
I dont get why you would throw this out there. Dude can't be hurt and held out?

The Knicks were DESPERATE for a win.

Also since when is deandre Jordan been a player that would equate to wins. If anything we did ourselves a service by sitting him out
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
2/25/2019  1:39 PM
Cartman718 wrote:
martin wrote:
technomaster wrote:The Knicks even held out DeAndre Jordan to try to lose this one, but fact is that San Antonio hasn't been playing well (what is it, now 1-6 in their last 7 games?).
I dont get why you would throw this out there. Dude can't be hurt and held out?

The Knicks were DESPERATE for a win.

Also since when is deandre Jordan been a player that would equate to wins. If anything we did ourselves a service by sitting him out

Not that desperate, they just won 2 games ago. :)

Reminding everyone here that Jordan is the *only* legitimate NBA starter on the current Knicks team. To level set, no other Knick would get more than garbage minutes on the Warriors.

We basically sat out our most polished/talented player. Usually doing so decreases your odds of victory. He might be legitimately injured, but note that just one game earlier we were playing with fire (and a possible win) after letting Jordan torch the KAT-less Wolves with 16pts/19rbds/2blks.

At 12-48 (after winning 2 out of our last 3), we're now 1.5 games back of the leading Suns (11-50) for a guaranteed top-5 pick. The interesting good news here is that teams #3 and #4 have caught fire. Both the Cavs (14-46) and Bulls (16-44) have gone 5-5 over their last 10 games, giving us a little more tanking room.

http://www.tankathon.com/

I'm happy that our young guys had a chance to taste victory on our home court, but I'm all in on maximizing our assets. On the other hand, maybe we want to showcase to incoming free agents all of the young talent we have so they don't think the cupboard is bare.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
Cartman718
Member: #1694

2/25/2019  1:47 PM
“We basically sat out our most polished/talented player“

What talent does he have that Mitch doesn’t? What talent does he have that puts him in that status?

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
2/25/2019  3:00 PM
Robinson may one day (soon) surpass the best version of DeAndre Jordan that ever existed - heck, he could also be an outlier on the development curve and in 2-3 years be closer to the Greek Freak/Embiid/AD. All within the realm of possibility. I'm a huge fan. (The only thing holding me back from getting a jersey is the threat of him getting traded!)

But that day hasn't happened yet. I still think that if you were on a win-now environment, you'd probably play Jordan over Robinson.

Jordan still has most of his athleticism as well as (for now) more refined skills, experience, and veteran craftiness. It's easy to dismiss him his awesomeness, but he's a former DPOTY winner, 2-time rebounding champ, active leader in FG/eFG/TS%, career leader in FG%...). Perhaps the only area where Robinson is better right now is shot blocking (Veteran 7 footers often graduate to just putting their arms straight up and avoiding foul trouble: see Chandler, Tyson), and I suppose, highlight reel alley-oops.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

2/25/2019  5:58 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Uptown wrote:
homeskillitprigioni wrote:Dotson, Mitchell...and yeah DSJ were really good tonight.

I have not been a DSJ guy at all and didn't care when he put up the 31 point night or whatever it was because I felt like it was a fluke. If he's going to succeed as a winning player in this league, his game has to be what we saw tonight. He is not a good enough scorer or shooter to warrant the role he wanted in Dallas or what he played like he wanted here in these first few games. Tonight was the first time I saw him actually play the role he'd need to for it to even have a chance to work. I still don't think it's the role he's going to want but I'm an objective guy and will be the first to say I'm wrong if he does. Even then I'm not sure he's a good enough pure PG but he'll at least have a chance if he embraces that mentality.

All of that being said...no hesitation if any of these guys had to go in a deal for AD. Mitchell I'd try to keep out of it but that's not a deal-breaker in the end. And Dotson and DSJ are replaceable parts. Getting AD and one big FA would put this team in an incredible position to build a title contender.

Your post is very objective....Smith has had games like this before, tonight guys were knocking down shots, it's that simple. He's the best
all around pg on this team, hands down....He is a better defender than he is given credit for...The energy of the offense and the ball movement Spike's up (shout out to Spike Lee!!!)when he is on the floor. Hopefully he continues to play with same level of confidence he displayed last night.

disagree... Smith is great at being fast and getting a shot off. The league is full of those guys. He's never created for the team like he did tonight from start to finish. This was absolutely his best game as a Knick and hopefully one to grow on. He looked fantastic and so did the guys around him. Mitch, Dotson, Knox....

Smith jr has been getting the most minutes of his career, and its starting to pay dividends. Disagree that players with Smith jr's ability to get to the rim, kick out for a 3, are a dime a dozen.

Its not just being able to run fast, those players are a dime a dozen. Smith jr can use that speed in more ways than a player who mostly is fast at going north/south. Can put that speed to use in different ways, like slicing through the D for a lob to Mitch. Or those kick outs to Dotson. Not all fast players can do that, and with Smith jr's burst.

If anything, DSJ at times looks like he is trying to figure out how to make the best use of his speed. Gets ahead of the offense, turns the ball over. Didnt see that last night.

Fizdale is giving Smith jr the PT to work tbrough his mistakes, in a way he couldnt in Dallas.
We saw last night why its worth not trading Smith jr until we've had another season to see where his game is going.

fishmike wrote:Smith is great at being fast and getting a shot off. The league is full of those guys.

GustavBahler wrote:Disagree that players with Smith jr's ability to get to the rim, kick out for a 3, are a dime a dozen.
Right well... I didnt write that did I? That is the point. DSjr hasnt shown the ability to do that consistently. Last night he did.

GustavBahler wrote:Its not just being able to run fast, those players are a dime a dozen
this is exactly what I wrote which you disagreed with
Some nice stats from an article on Film School about Smith's play making since joining the Knicks. Pretty sure this is based on stats prior to last nights game.
Playmaking Vision
It would be easy to fall into the trap of thinking DSJ is a shoot-first gunner who doesn’t make his teammates better. Smith is not the archetype of a “pure” point guard, but it would be a mistake to underestimate his passing vision and playmaking ability. The guy is far from a black hole when he takes it to the rim. Per NBA.com, Smith passes the ball on 47.2% of his drives. That’s the 9th-highest percentage among the 64 players to record at least 400 drives this season. Even more impressive, The BBall Index ranks DSJ in the 97th percentile league-wide in their Playmaking category. Check out this montage of five skip/ cross-court passes:

Before the trade to New York, Smith was posting a league average efficiency on pick-and-rolls including passes, per Synergy. Considering Smith’s age and high-volume usage on pick-and-rolls, the fact that he is already average is extremely promising. In addition to kick-outs, Smith also keeps the bigs fed on lobs and dump-offs. DSJ has recorded 49 assists for the Knicks so far; 10 of those have been on alley-oop dunks (8 to DeAndre and 2 to Mitchell Robinson).

https://knicksfilmschool.com/2019/02/24/how-dennis-smith-jr-fits-with-frank-ntilikina/
Smith is just 21 years old. If he was 8 months younger I am sure that would be a talking point for some.

Thanks for the post and the stats...Confirms what I said, initially....Smith has had games like this before. People see what they want to see or don't want to see especially when its a player they don't particularly care for...With the exception of a 1 or 2 games, Smith has been a willing passer since he arrived here and has made a living of getting 2 feet in the paint and kicking it out for an open 3, or a lob to one of the bigs.

HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

2/25/2019  6:07 PM
fishmike wrote:
Uptown wrote:

(Sigh....)
2017/18 6 games with 10/11 dimes, 8 with 8 dimes 16 games with 6-7 dimes.
Fact is, everyone that had no clue but wanted to shed some hate said he was just a ball hog with no vision.
Some still talking like they really watched him play. The guys that did watch the games knew he was far from a ball hog. And are you saying he has not shown that ability to get guys open looks before last night? Shit, last night he should of had 20 dimes if not for guys missing open shots and fouls on alley oops. Same goes for most previous games in which he got guys open looks only to watch a brick ensue. Kid has great vision, can jump out of the gym (stole that from you), and is only in his second year of Pro ball. I do agree that he needs to play more like he did in second half last night. And No, not by passing more, but rather being the one that is on the attack and makes things happen.
If we are going to truly analyze the kid, he needs to fix his mechanics on his shot. Needs to improve how to get over picks and needs to improve his motor. But if he does, kid will be an All Star and a highly sought after PG for years. But come on Fish, stop with the he is only just another fast guy. By the way, who are some of the players, you think, that are "just great at being fast" like him?

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
GameThread: Knicks and Spurs

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy