[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Kevin Knox slump explained?
Author Thread
technomaster
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #426
USA
2/20/2019  9:33 AM
Knox is currently shooting 36.4% FG on the season (33.9%3pt). For a player with his height/length/athleticism, it's a little surprising that he's struggling in this area.

Has anyone found any articles on whether this is bad shot selection or if he's just failing at shots he should be nailing? Or is this just a fitness level thing? Or perhaps growth-related limitations (his body is relatively immature and he's expected to grow another inch or two).

Maybe this is the nature of the guy - he's a streaky player along the lines of Tim Hardaway in a bigger body - he'll have hot and cold games and we'll just need to accept that as part of him. Or he's like KP in that mild dings on his body (ie sore but not enough to put him on the injury report) have a big impact on his in-game performance.

One interesting observation is that around this time last year (as a Kentucky freshman) he went through a similar swoon before heating up again leading into March Madness.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/calipari-on-kevin-knoxs-funk/

In any case, next season (moving forward) we'd have to hope he can get his FG% north of 40% and improve his passing for assists.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
AUTOADVERT
newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

2/20/2019  10:00 AM
Well i came in here hoping/thinking you actually had the explanation for it but..............................
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
2/20/2019  10:06 AM
19 years old kid... Looking lost and unsure at times. Getting down on himself. Put his head down and forcing the issue...
Typical rook. But he is given a lot of minutes. Probably more that most of the 19-year old except of some exceptional specimens.
If he will use this opportunity to develop we will see some great things next year.
Or we will know for sure that he is not a top prospect.
Either way the mission of evaluating him as an asset will be accomplished. The rest is live.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
Ira
Member: #91
2/20/2019  10:24 AM
The two things that make me think drafting Kevin Knox was a mistake are his defense and his difficulty finishing. He's very young and I'm not counting him out, but I have never been impressed with his game.
VCoug
Member: #1406

2/20/2019  10:42 AM
First off, this isn't a slump. This is how he's played for most of the season with the exception of a couple of weeks in December. I don't know that he's going to be a good shooter, his 3P% is right in line with what he did in college.
Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
VCoug
Member: #1406

2/20/2019  10:45 AM
Sorry, posted too soon. His 2P% requires a bit more explanation but I think it's pretty obvious what's going on. I can't find college stats to back this up, but he didn't appear to be a particularly good finisher in college and he took some of the ugliest ****ing floaters/layups I've ever seen. While he was able to get that shot off ok in college and Summer league, it was always a question if he could continue doing that in the pros. Right now, he isn't and unless he improves his body control and mechanics, I don't know that he ever will.
Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
jskinny35
Member: #928
USA
2/20/2019  11:06 AM
His floater and drives to the basket are pretty good. I hate that he stands at the 3pt line when his % is terrible and his form is lousy. He has a very slow release that fluctuates and affects his form. Hopefully they will help him with this in the offseason. He does look just like what he was in college - raw, undisciplined and plays little defense. The fact that he outplayed Miles Bridges (like 4 inches shorter) to secure us drafting him will always stick in my mind as a terrible reason (even if he improves). Not a fan then and now, but will hope he works on his game or have the coaches sit him down so the bad mistakes don't keep happening over and over...
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
2/20/2019  12:00 PM
i see him as someone who will become much more proficient and well-rounded as a scorer. he has a very aggressive offensive mindset and should grow into that body and get more and more competitive advantage from it.

he could be a consistent high scorer in this league for a long time. i don't see him as becoming a lead or particularly well-rounded player but maybe a john drew,
shareef abdur-rahim, cliff robinson, antawn jamison, rashard lewis type who if used properly and kept at a reasonable salary will be a definite asset.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
2/20/2019  12:14 PM
Marv wrote:i see him as someone who will become much more proficient and well-rounded as a scorer. he has a very aggressive offensive mindset and should grow into that body and get more and more competitive advantage from it.

he could be a consistent high scorer in this league for a long time. i don't see him as becoming a lead or particularly well-rounded player but maybe a john drew,
shareef abdur-rahim, cliff robinson, antawn jamison, rashard lewis type who if used properly and kept at a reasonable salary will be a definite asset.

hope so. Those are really good players. That would be fantastic. Im not sure he's going to be as good as Tim Thomas (even that wouldnt be terrible) but I hope so. He's really young and has good work ethic and attitude. I still like him just fine as a prospect. If he do well in FA he should really benefit from more structure, a more defined role and less minutes.

Highest upside guys on the roster are DSjr and Mitch right now. Trier is close as well. Frank and Knox I'm still high on but need a lot of work. Its possible they are 22-23 before they really start to shine. Will it be with the Knicks? I like Kornet and Dotson as role players a ton, and think they could be nice bench guys on a playoff team.

Knox is doing just fine. When guys explode it great. If they dont it shouldnt be viewed as a negative, especially when they are this young. I mean we drafted really young guys in Frank/Knox. Eiher we commit to developing them or we dont. I like our kids. Hope we stick with the program

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

2/20/2019  12:51 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/20/2019  12:56 PM
I know some want everything now. Fact is the kid is shooting 34% from 3pt. Not bad for first year 19 year old. Durant shot like 28% from the three in same scenario. Thing I like about the kid IS that he is not afraid to shoot. That shows confidence and as a first year 19 year old, in the NBA, it is something you want to see from your high draft pick. Not concerned about his shooting % as he has very good mechanics. With experience he WILL easily improve his % by turning many of those 15 to 19 foot shots(shooting 25%) into drives that can draw fouls or result in strong easy finishes. Think he is still getting accustomed to his body and hopefully continues to improve his quickness and explosiveness. That will help him realize he does not have to settle for floaters or mid range jumpers but can instead finish over defenders. Of course, building muacle will help him with that as well.
'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/20/2019  1:05 PM
Slump assumes he is proficient at this level. He is has not demonstrated it yet.
That's cool BTW.
He might not ever. But he is 19 and still growing.
This team is so freaking outside of any knick team I can ever remember given its youth and cap space.
Hard to wrap my head around it. Take the KP trade out, and extract Timmy and its even more so.
Mudiay was a top 10 comeback player of the year (Statistically speaking) and now he is likely to not be part of the future given his cap hold.
In the press, Fiz seems to be complimentary more to Frank and I expect him to start to see how he does with Smith.
And this summer we might just blow it up again!!!
Slump? Enjoy the rookies and watch them grow.
Or traded. One never knows!!
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

2/20/2019  2:40 PM
How good do you think Jayson Tatum would've looked if he played with this squad last season? No discernable system, fluid point guard situation, no vets, no role suited to his strengths out the gate...I'm sure Knox would look better if he had Kyre and Horford instead of THJ and Kanter. He's a kid. Most seniors look like crap in their first NBA seasons. You have to expect a one and done guy to have a rocky rookie season. Give it time before you write him off.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
2/20/2019  3:58 PM
Marv wrote:i see him as someone who will become much more proficient and well-rounded as a scorer. he has a very aggressive offensive mindset and should grow into that body and get more and more competitive advantage from it.

....Gerald Wilkins...

Marv
2/20/2019  4:32 PM
Panos wrote:

....Gerald Wilkins...

aww can’t we do a little bit better than that

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

2/20/2019  4:38 PM
Marv wrote:
Panos wrote:

....Gerald Wilkins...

Al Harrigngton?

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

2/20/2019  4:42 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:How good do you think Jayson Tatum would've looked if he played with this squad last season? No discernable system, fluid point guard situation, no vets, no role suited to his strengths out the gate...I'm sure Knox would look better if he had Kyre and Horford instead of THJ and Kanter. He's a kid. Most seniors look like crap in their first NBA seasons. You have to expect a one and done guy to have a rocky rookie season. Give it time before you write him off.

+1

Some posters are taking Knox's one year in college. A freshman on what was essentially a college all-star team. And half a season as a pro, to say that he will not amount to anything.

Nevermind that he has played stretches where his numbers were that of a starter.

But lets ignore all the points you just made, and trade him.

Jmpasq
Member: #4182

2/20/2019  8:23 PM
VCoug wrote:First off, this isn't a slump. This is how he's played for most of the season with the exception of a couple of weeks in December. I don't know that he's going to be a good shooter, his 3P% is right in line with what he did in college.

Yep kid could never shoot. If we get stars I trade him for cap space to sign vets

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
nykshaknbake
Member: #492
2/21/2019  7:37 AM
He needs patience and a lot of work in the offseasons. Perhaps his hot streak got him on the film for opposing coaches to game plan. Though it doesnt appear they are doing anything drastic. Hopefully when we get a good system in place. Either way, you cant give up now; not even close.
Marv
2/21/2019  9:21 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Marv wrote:
Panos wrote:

....Gerald Wilkins...

Al Harrigngton?

no he'll share.

newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

2/21/2019  9:41 AM
arkrud wrote:19 years old kid... Looking lost and unsure at times. Getting down on himself. Put his head down and forcing the issue...
Typical rook. But he is given a lot of minutes. Probably more that most of the 19-year old except of some exceptional specimens.
If he will use this opportunity to develop we will see some great things next year.
Or we will know for sure that he is not a top prospect.
Either way the mission of evaluating him as an asset will be accomplished. The rest is live.

Yeah he definitely needs to show improvement as this season goes on but the biggest thing for me is if he puts the work in this offseason to get better at every part of his game. To see a noticeable improvement after a offseason tells me a lot about a player. If that player actually wants to be great then they'll use their offseason to work on their game instead of spending it playing video games or whatever else rich young kids do in their offseason.

Kevin Knox slump explained?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy