[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Pass On Zion
Author Thread
93BUICK
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1175
USA
2/19/2019  12:00 AM
I understand slowing down the hype train and worrying about college dominance vs the nba-
but Zion seems like his skill and strength will translate beyond conventional measurements - Ben Wallace, Draymond , Barkley, Moses Malone- some guys defy height w strength and quickness. I'd be ok w Ziorange and blueon.
If you are still following the team and reading sites like this, there is nothing, short of your own demise, that is going to throw you off this train.
AUTOADVERT
PassTheBall
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5872
Norway
2/19/2019  2:16 AM
There is way too much hype on Zion. That said his skill set could and should translate to the NBA. But without his quickness his strength is marginalized. I don’t think we will get the number one pick but if we do we should trade it for a larger pot of unprotected 1sts or something of future value. There will certainly be another very talented player (perhaps even better) later in the draft. That’s a given. Let’s do another MRob pick.
/PassTheBall
Sangfroid
Member: #2784

2/19/2019  2:41 AM
Marv wrote:
misterearl wrote:Charles Barkley was outstanding. But he never led a team to win a ring.

The hype that precedes him will be so intense, and the New York expectations so high, he can only fail.

Alternate direction: trust the process can last another three years. The next component should be 6’10 with the handles of rod strickland, shot of Bob McAdoo and the hops of a gazelle

Patience

didn’t we just trade the 7’3” version to dallas?

That one was broken. We sent it back

"We are playing a game. We are playing at not playing a game..."
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

2/19/2019  6:47 AM
He won’t be a player you can build a team around
You need a guard to do that in today’s league
He would be a great KP replacement though.

If Knicks land Zion
Then can get someone like Kyrie
They are in position to contend in the long run
However those things are far far from a given

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/19/2019  7:53 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/19/2019  10:14 AM
misterearl wrote:
ramtour420 wrote:Earl, you are one of the posters who I really enjoy on this forum. Once again your words have merit and wisdom. Let us all take a breather and consider which BIG MAN were the championship centerpiece on title teams "recently". The only players that come to mind are Olajuwon, Shaq, Dunkin and then Nowitzki. For a while now it has been clear as day that backcourt players win titles nowadays and thats the direction. Durant and Lebron are backcourt players even at their height. The writing is on the wall. Sir Charles failing to win it all might not be the strongest point there, same for Ewing. Not being able to run an effective offense in todays NBA through a traditional orthodox big man IS that strong point however.

ramtour - Thank you for the kind words.

For me it is more a situational feeling. Not every player is built for New York. A college sophomore in the big city, with the weight of a franchise being the first player selected, just feels like a heavy load to drop on him.

There were no saviors on the 1969 or 1973 championship teams.
Constructed with deliberate care. DeBusschere was no savior, but he was the straw (via his veteran presence) that stirred the drink.
They were greater than the sum of their parts.

Take it slow.

Thats what some of us are saying, take down the hype and look at the player and the potential.
No need to worry about this as we don’t know what the final rankings will be. Maybe Zion falls to third and we take this there? This happens its obvious the hype died down.

The Legacy team was built over a long period starting with 1964 Willis Reed who was a high flying Antonio McDyess type player at PF. The Knicks like many great teams replaced good players with even better ones. The Bellemay/Komies for Debussure was about moving Reed over from PF as his knees were slowing him down. The chemistry with Bells and Reed did not work great. Two allstars, little chemistry.
Cazzie was drafted a year after Bradley went over seas and was a better talent but Bradley became a better teammate. We pushed up talent and developed from within.
Your right, no messiahs but there was always hype. Cazzie was a hyped 30ppg player of the year savior taken first in the draft and was an nba allster. In many aspects he was the best player on the knicks But as we all know his knee was problematic an he was a “me first” type player. Bradley also a hyped player of the year. He was Slow and moved from SG to SF.
My point is your right, but its not the hype in February that matters. We don’t know the final ranking of these players nor the order of teh draft. The scenario we argue is Zion is the hyped pick but nobody but knicks know he is not worth it or we need a team to want to trade up as they want him more than others.
Cazzie got us an older Jerry Lucas and his brilliant play enabled the 1973 chip. Willis was on his last leg that season.

Remember Debuscerre guarding Wilt at times in the 73' series was amazing. That team was special and remains why Im still a knick fan.

TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
2/19/2019  8:17 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/19/2019  8:19 AM
Zion is a one-man wrecking crew. Even without a jumpshot, this guy will score 17-19 a game just on his ability to out jump, outrun, and outmuscle the competition. Now whether he gets on a Charles Barkley level will depend on if his jumper develops, but I have read that most people think he will be a solid jumpshooter with time. The guy is a Lebron James-type physical specimen. You just cannot pass on that. There is no way I would not draft Zion. The only way I might consider it is if a team offered us a top 2 or 3 pick, an asset and another first round pick. Like if Boston had the second pick and offered us Tatum, the second pick, and a future first rounder, then I would think about it, but other than that, I am picking Zion. Morant is good, but we have Dennis Smith, who I think will develop into a starter. Barrett is good, but we have Knox and Trier as scorers at the 2/3 spot. We have no one that can bring what Zion brings. The only other thing I would consider is drafting Zion and trading him for Davis, but I would not trade our whole team. I would give New Orleans Zion, Trier, and maybe one of those two first rounder picks we got from Dallas, and I would only do that trade if Kevin Durant signs here. Then you have Davis and Durant as your foundation, with Smith, Knox, Mitchell, Frank, and Dodson as your developing players, plus you still have your own first round picks over the next three years.
Trust the Process
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/19/2019  10:17 AM
TheGame wrote:Zion is a one-man wrecking crew. Even without a jumpshot, this guy will score 17-19 a game just on his ability to out jump, outrun, and outmuscle the competition. Now whether he gets on a Charles Barkley level will depend on if his jumper develops, but I have read that most people think he will be a solid jumpshooter with time. The guy is a Lebron James-type physical specimen. You just cannot pass on that. There is no way I would not draft Zion. The only way I might consider it is if a team offered us a top 2 or 3 pick, an asset and another first round pick. Like if Boston had the second pick and offered us Tatum, the second pick, and a future first rounder, then I would think about it, but other than that, I am picking Zion. Morant is good, but we have Dennis Smith, who I think will develop into a starter. Barrett is good, but we have Knox and Trier as scorers at the 2/3 spot. We have no one that can bring what Zion brings. The only other thing I would consider is drafting Zion and trading him for Davis, but I would not trade our whole team. I would give New Orleans Zion, Trier, and maybe one of those two first rounder picks we got from Dallas, and I would only do that trade if Kevin Durant signs here. Then you have Davis and Durant as your foundation, with Smith, Knox, Mitchell, Frank, and Dodson as your developing players, plus you still have your own first round picks over the next three years.

The time line is you get your draft order, then draft, then free agent season.
Rare that deals are contingent on signing another player so you do the deal if you have a promise from a free agent. Its illegal via NBA rules, but that don't mean it can't.

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
2/19/2019  10:32 AM
Amazing the level of incoherence when it comes to someone who's just about single-handedly running the NCAA at the absolute highest level. We have to have someone who's not Charles Barkley (even though Barkley wasn't anywhere near 6'7") because THE LEAGUE RIGHT THIS SECOND has bypassed big players, but we can't expect one person to carry the load because the last crew to win chips here were all seasoned professionals, FORTY FUCKING YEARS AGO. Most of the same people puking on Zion are jerking off over Mitch Robinson and Frankie and Knox. Unreal.

The kid's not just a rare physical freak, he's got the IQ and mentality to go with it that we never saw with LeQ out of high school. He's thoughtful, he's team-oriented and we're not looking at the last Knicks 'saviour' with legs of clay. His trunk and lower body are built to sustain impact. The kid is as close to the ****ing Hulk as any athlete to come to the lottery. But let's pass on him waiting for Earl's magically constructed gazelle.

Is he Giannis? Who gives a ****? Anyone looking at Giannis' shooting percentages? He couldn't hit a jumper consistently from further than 8 feet if you put a gun to his head.

Is he KD? Again, who gives a ****? KD won lots of chips before taking the ***** move to GS, right?

You put all these "grown men" we already have around this juggernaut, and things are going to get scary good around here right quick.

knicks1248
Member: #582
2/19/2019  10:38 AM
jrodmc wrote:Amazing the level of incoherence when it comes to someone who's just about single-handedly running the NCAA at the absolute highest level. We have to have someone who's not Charles Barkley (even though Barkley wasn't anywhere near 6'7") because THE LEAGUE RIGHT THIS SECOND has bypassed big players, but we can't expect one person to carry the load because the last crew to win chips here were all seasoned professionals, FORTY FUCKING YEARS AGO. Most of the same people puking on Zion are jerking off over Mitch Robinson and Frankie and Knox. Unreal.

The kid's not just a rare physical freak, he's got the IQ and mentality to go with it that we never saw with LeQ out of high school. He's thoughtful, he's team-oriented and we're not looking at the last Knicks 'saviour' with legs of clay. His trunk and lower body are built to sustain impact. The kid is as close to the ****ing Hulk as any athlete to come to the lottery. But let's pass on him waiting for Earl's magically constructed gazelle.

Is he Giannis? Who gives a ****? Anyone looking at Giannis' shooting percentages? He couldn't hit a jumper consistently from further than 8 feet if you put a gun to his head.

Is he KD? Again, who gives a ****? KD won lots of chips before taking the ***** move to GS, right?

You put all these "grown men" we already have around this juggernaut, and things are going to get scary good around here right quick.

I hear what your saying but think about this. your top draft pick is going to be 11 yrs younger than your best player, maybe your 2 best players, thats a huge timeline gap..

ES
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
2/19/2019  10:46 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
jrodmc wrote:Amazing the level of incoherence when it comes to someone who's just about single-handedly running the NCAA at the absolute highest level. We have to have someone who's not Charles Barkley (even though Barkley wasn't anywhere near 6'7") because THE LEAGUE RIGHT THIS SECOND has bypassed big players, but we can't expect one person to carry the load because the last crew to win chips here were all seasoned professionals, FORTY FUCKING YEARS AGO. Most of the same people puking on Zion are jerking off over Mitch Robinson and Frankie and Knox. Unreal.

I hear what your saying but think about this. your top draft pick is going to be 11 yrs younger than your best player, maybe your 2 best players, thats a huge timeline gap..

And what the hell do we do with the rest of the yoots at the far end of the timeline? Or are they all getting sent to Pelican land to grow up?

So if I follow your logic, we only draft players who are using their 5th year of eligibility while going for their masters degree? That way the timeline gap is only 5 or 6 years?

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
2/19/2019  11:18 AM
Zion is a generational type player period. You don't pass on a player like that.
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

2/19/2019  11:50 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/19/2019  11:51 AM
knicks1248 wrote:

Isn't that ideal? I'm not sure of the exact ages, but Shaq had a few years on Wade when they won the title. It also didn't hurt Duncan and Robinson. If anything, it will help the franchise have continued, consistent success...if done right.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
2/19/2019  12:12 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/19/2019  12:19 PM
misterearl wrote:Charles Barkley was outstanding. But he never led a team to win a ring.

The hype that precedes him will be so intense, and the New York expectations so high, he can only fail.

Alternate direction: trust the process can last another three years. The next component should be 6’10 with the handles of rod strickland, shot of Bob McAdoo and the hops of a gazelle

Patience

Barkley only had to get through the greatest player of all time. No one was getting through Jordan. Never thought Sixer put a team around him similar fate to Ewing. And if Jordan doesn’t retire bet Hakeem gets the same fate.

Zion is a lot different than Barkley he is more explosive, build is a lot more muscular, has better handle and overall better passing instincts than Barkley.

technomaster
Member: #426
USA
2/19/2019  12:22 PM
If we get the #1 pick, I'd happily take Zion... but at the same time I wouldn't be upset if we landed at #2 or 3.

I think Morant might be the better prospect than Barrett (albeit a year older). His free throw shooting in college has been over 80% both years. And while he's not an awesome 3pt shooter now, it's more predictable that he'll get better at it over time. He's also an elite athlete, albeit somewhat skinny.

I like Barrett a lot - though I've been scared off by the likes of Justise Winslow and Kidd-Gilchrist. Guys who can seemingly do everything well except shoot. They haven't been able to improve their shooting enough to establish themselves as reliable starters in the NBA. Barrett is shooting less than 70% from the free throw line.

Reddish scares me a lot because he's basically shooting like Knox (now) at the college level. He might look like Josh Jackson in the NBA...

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
2/19/2019  12:31 PM
I wouldn’t worry to much about Zion. It is highly unlikely he will be a Knick. LeBron left Cleveland and it gonna go to the Cavs. That is the rule and practically the norm.
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
2/19/2019  12:33 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/19/2019  12:33 PM
Zion will be drafter by the team which get to pick first.
The probability of this is 99%.
No one in NBA wants to get fired.
The entertainment value alone is so huge that NO WAY any organization will pass on it.
Can it backfire? Of course. But no one will be blamed for taking 99% chance.
In corporate world the most important thing is to avoid responsibility not the long term result.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

2/19/2019  12:34 PM
GTFO here man. I hope more people say "pass on Zion" and then we get him no matter what. That's insane to say no Zion. What, you wouldn't have drafted a young LJ or Sir Charles. Please man get your senile crusty butt outta here with that
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
2/19/2019  1:35 PM
Zion might be better than KD, but I guess, if we have KD we should trade Zion for some role player closer in age.

I agree though, there is no chance the Knicks are going to get him. 0%.

We simply don't have that kind of luck.

Moonangie
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #2788

2/19/2019  1:38 PM

Exactly. We're taking the kid if we get the first pick, just like ANY team that lands the #1.

A few points for consideration:

1. Lebron wasn't a good shooter in his first couple of years
2. Max-class FA will not sign with us after 7/1 if we pass on Zion 6/20. FFS, would you?
3. Zion is a legit franchise stud and fills a position of need.

Are we really gonna pass on this kid with the #1? No effing way.

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
2/19/2019  1:41 PM
Moonangie wrote:

Exactly. We're taking the kid if we get the first pick, just like ANY team that lands the #1.

A few points for consideration:

1. Lebron wasn't a good shooter in his first couple of years
2. Max-class FA will not sign with us after 7/1 if we pass on Zion 6/20. FFS, would you?
3. Zion is a legit franchise stud and fills a position of need.

Are we really gonna pass on this kid with the #1? No effing way.

I have to imagine FA's know basketball, know what kind of player Zion is going to be, and would probably line up to play with him if we landed him.

Pass On Zion

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy