[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Can't trade Mitch for AD
Author Thread
FrenchFreak
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #7568

2/25/2019  4:10 PM
With Mitch locked up for less than $5M total over the next three years, he has a chance to be one of the most valuable trade chips in the NBA. I want to keep him, but his play of late could actually make him the centerpiece in a trade for a star.

You have to listen to any offers but my hope is that we can keep Mitch (and DSJ, Trier, Dotson, Frank and Knox) while adding two max players. That starts to feel like a team that is built to last.

AUTOADVERT
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
2/25/2019  4:40 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/25/2019  4:41 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Bump

Dont trade our future away for Davis. Mitch's nickname should be "plug n' play" he fits in so well with his teammates.

To make the salary and assets work. Knicks would/could deal Zion, DSjr, Frank, Knox & Trier. If Kyrie and Durant are signed then they replace the need for DSjr and Knox. While Frank and Trier obviously aren't close to ADs level. The question becomes giving up Zion as well. To add Mitch to that list imo I would dead any calls. Would have to be an either or in terms of Zion or Mitch but I wouldn't do both.

I don't even know if I would add in a future draft pick on top of that deal. But that's the beauty of having the assets and cap space and dealing from a position of strength.

Dont want to see the Knicks give up the players you cited for any max player. Especially Zion
We have 2 max slots, Knicks should sign the best players to compliment the youth movement, not put it on the backburner again.

Will be accused of overrating the talent on the roster, compared to the prospect of having elite options, at the same position. Fair enough.

My concern are long term contracts for players who have trouble staying healthy. This franchise has been kicked you know where over the decades, with long term, expensive, deals. Deals that fans kept counting down, because said player was always hurt and almost untradeable.

If Mitch Trier, Knox, Dsjr among others, werent showing that they have real skills, Id be more willing to take a shot with an AD, or a Kyrie. Dont want to max out a PG, if Smith proves he can be the man.

We have a decent chance to get Zion or Barett. Hope Perry/Mills puts taking on 2 max salaries on the backburner, if we draft one of them. Next thing, we start trading away youth for veteran role players for the yearly playoff push. Bye-bye youth movement. Hope the max players stay healthy.

Would rather just add Durant, or one other max player like Thompson. If a max contract is to be given out. See if the team can make the playoffs. See if the younger players like Mitch, Trier, Dsjr, etc show they can be long term building blocks. Make gradual adjustments instead of going all in over the summer, just to make a splash.

Was glad to hear that Perry/Mills are not locked into signing 2 max players this summer either, from interviews.

You concerns are actually serious ones to consider, but as can see through out the NBA, trying build young players will crumble your franchise because it takes 4 to 5 yrs, and its 50/50 shot. Philly basically got rid of all there young players except the 2 that mattered the most, and you can bet that Boston will do the same if the pelicans find there offer of Tatum, brown, and a couple of first round picks. There really isn't a TOP FA on the list other than Kemba/klay that hasn't missed a significant time do to injuries..

After trading away KP, this FO has to hit a Home run this summer, or your going to be looking at a New FO and coach with other ideas

ES
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

2/25/2019  4:59 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

Dont trade our future away for Davis. Mitch's nickname should be "plug n' play" he fits in so well with his teammates.

To make the salary and assets work. Knicks would/could deal Zion, DSjr, Frank, Knox & Trier. If Kyrie and Durant are signed then they replace the need for DSjr and Knox. While Frank and Trier obviously aren't close to ADs level. The question becomes giving up Zion as well. To add Mitch to that list imo I would dead any calls. Would have to be an either or in terms of Zion or Mitch but I wouldn't do both.

I don't even know if I would add in a future draft pick on top of that deal. But that's the beauty of having the assets and cap space and dealing from a position of strength.

Dont want to see the Knicks give up the players you cited for any max player. Especially Zion
We have 2 max slots, Knicks should sign the best players to compliment the youth movement, not put it on the backburner again.

Will be accused of overrating the talent on the roster, compared to the prospect of having elite options, at the same position. Fair enough.

My concern are long term contracts for players who have trouble staying healthy. This franchise has been kicked you know where over the decades, with long term, expensive, deals. Deals that fans kept counting down, because said player was always hurt and almost untradeable.

If Mitch Trier, Knox, Dsjr among others, werent showing that they have real skills, Id be more willing to take a shot with an AD, or a Kyrie. Dont want to max out a PG, if Smith proves he can be the man.

We have a decent chance to get Zion or Barett. Hope Perry/Mills puts taking on 2 max salaries on the backburner, if we draft one of them. Next thing, we start trading away youth for veteran role players for the yearly playoff push. Bye-bye youth movement. Hope the max players stay healthy.

Would rather just add Durant, or one other max player like Thompson. If a max contract is to be given out. See if the team can make the playoffs. See if the younger players like Mitch, Trier, Dsjr, etc show they can be long term building blocks. Make gradual adjustments instead of going all in over the summer, just to make a splash.

Was glad to hear that Perry/Mills are not locked into signing 2 max players this summer either, from interviews.

You concerns are actually serious ones to consider, but as can see through out the NBA, trying build young players will crumble your franchise because it takes 4 to 5 yrs, and its 50/50 shot. Philly basically got rid of all there young players except the 2 that mattered the most, and you can bet that Boston will do the same if the pelicans find there offer of Tatum, brown, and a couple of first round picks. There really isn't a TOP FA on the list other than Kemba/klay that hasn't missed a significant time do to injuries..

After trading away KP, this FO has to hit a Home run this summer, or your going to be looking at a New FO and coach with other ideas

I don't think you need a homerun. That type of thinking is dangerous and is how you get pressured into giving a broken down guy like Amar'e the max. We would still have time to maximize our space if we strike out. Guys are always looking to force their way out of small market situations. We can now seriously be in those conversations when it happens.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

2/25/2019  5:10 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/25/2019  5:12 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

I dont see those players needing 4-5 years to be real contributors on a playoff team, if they're getting the minutes. More like after next season. Then bring in a second star. Would have a better idea then who would be a better fit.

Who is worth maybe trading a recent pick, if necessary..Dont believe this season is enough to bail on some of our best young players.

newyorknewyork
Member: #541
2/25/2019  5:47 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

If Kryie is willing to sign here as a FA along with KD. I can't see Perry turning him down.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
newyorknewyork
2/25/2019  5:57 PM
That Kryie, Dotson, KD, Davis, Mitch starting 5 is very appealing though I can't lie. To go along with Allen, Jenkins, Kornet working their way off the bench and the multiple draft picks coming over the years. Not to mention anyone willing to signing to jump on the bandwagon.

I wouldnt trade for Davis though unless Kyrie and KD were locked in though mostly because I still like the available young pieces and draft picks to fall back on.

HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

2/25/2019  6:37 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/25/2019  6:40 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:That Kryie, Dotson, KD, Davis, Mitch starting 5 is very appealing though I can't lie. To go along with Allen, Jenkins, Kornet working their way off the bench and the multiple draft picks coming over the years. Not to mention anyone willing to signing to jump on the bandwagon.

I wouldnt trade for Davis though unless Kyrie and KD were locked in though mostly because I still like the available young pieces and draft picks to fall back on.

Gotta agree, if the Knicks sign Kyrie and Durant, that changes everything. The Knicks would then be committed to a win now time horizon. Meaning all young players/assets would be used to get immediate impact players. So think they would absolutely offer the Pelicans what ever they wanted for AD. Hopefully it would not include a shot at Zion. But I think anything else, at that point, would be ok. As good as we think Mitch, Knox, Frank, Smith and future 1st picks will be, it is not guaranteed. AD, however, is absolutely a chip winning piece. Specially with Irving and KD. Cant see fans opposing a legitimate run at a chip. Hopefully we can keep guys like Dotson out as throw ins and its still hard to say what the Pels will take. It all depends on what other teams have to offer. It does help that he seems to only have a couple of preferred destinations. Although, I am still in the camp that he wants to be in LA the most.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

2/25/2019  7:38 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

If Kryie is willing to sign here as a FA along with KD. I can't see Perry turning him down.

I would hope that Perry/Mills consider that Irving stood at halfcourt with a mic just to tell Boston fans he would be back. Believe that would be a warning sign of someone who has a ring, and doesnt give an F. His injury history should concern mgmt as well. The fact that we might have the PG of the future in DSJ, with a lot less miles on the odometer, and cap space, shouldnt be brushed aside.

If Durant says its a package deal, then I would pass for a player who doesnt make those kind of demands. They both have trouble handling the media. The drama potential is very high if both of them come to NY.

At least a player like Thompson would be more willing to fit in IMO. Could see Smith jr kicking out to Thompson all day for an easy 3. We have players now who can get to the rim, DSJ, Trier, Mudiay, Allen. Was a need not so long ago, not anymore.

newyorknewyork
2/25/2019  7:39 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:That Kryie, Dotson, KD, Davis, Mitch starting 5 is very appealing though I can't lie. To go along with Allen, Jenkins, Kornet working their way off the bench and the multiple draft picks coming over the years. Not to mention anyone willing to signing to jump on the bandwagon.

Gotta agree, if the Knicks sign Kyrie and Durant, that changes everything. The Knicks would then be committed to a win now time horizon. Meaning all young players/assets would be used to get immediate impact players. So think they would absolutely offer the Pelicans what ever they wanted for AD. Hopefully it would not include a shot at Zion. But I think anything else, at that point, would be ok. As good as we think Mitch, Knox, Frank, Smith and future 1st picks will be, it is not guaranteed. AD, however, is absolutely a chip winning piece. Specially with Irving and KD. Cant see fans opposing a legitimate run at a chip. Hopefully we can keep guys like Dotson out as throw ins and its still hard to say what the Pels will take. It all depends on what other teams have to offer. It does help that he seems to only have a couple of preferred destinations. Although, I am still in the camp that he wants to be in LA the most.

I wouldn't be willing to give Pelicans anything the wanted though. I wouldnt offer Mitch and Zion. I hope Perry would only be willing to offer the package listed above and nothing more. Maybe a pic. I would be perfectly content keeping Zion, Mitch and all other pieces. Then depending upon on how Smith views coming off the bench. If he not for it then he can be moved as a single piece.

Zion is the best piece any team would be willing to offer. Pelicans would be more desperate than the Knicks. Nobody on the Celtics or Lakers would be the draw that Zion would be. And that market needs that level of star. The only reason I'm even offering as many other pieces with Zion is because we gotta match salary.

ramtour420
Member: #1388
Russian Federation
2/27/2019  7:12 AM
Mitchell Robinson is the 7th rookie in the last 30 years to record a double-double and 5+ blocks in back-to-back games. These are the other six:

David Robinson
Dikembe Mutombo
Shaquille O’Neal
Alonzo Mourning
Tim Duncan
Yao Ming

( from NBA.com/stats)
@nbastats

Everything you have ever wanted is on the other side of fear- George Adair
Welpee
Member: #6239

2/27/2019  8:34 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/27/2019  8:36 AM
stanleybostitch wrote:I love Mitch but this reminds me when we were anointing Landry Fields the next John Havlicek. Let's see where we are in a few years, and in the meantime, if we can get AD for a reasonable package that includes Mitch, you do that 10 times out of 10. Though the Pels are not going to settle for reasonable, and the Celts are going to sell the farm.
Very good point. I remember people screaming we can't include him in the Melo deal. We need to give it some time. Rookie Channing Frye viewed as untradeable back in the day when Chris Webber was rumored to be available.
newyorknewyork
2/27/2019  8:57 AM
Welpee wrote:
stanleybostitch wrote:I love Mitch but this reminds me when we were anointing Landry Fields the next John Havlicek. Let's see where we are in a few years, and in the meantime, if we can get AD for a reasonable package that includes Mitch, you do that 10 times out of 10. Though the Pels are not going to settle for reasonable, and the Celts are going to sell the farm.
Very good point. I remember people screaming we can't include him in the Melo deal. We need to give it some time. Rookie Channing Frye viewed as untradeable back in the day when Chris Webber was rumored to be available.

While I wasn't apart of the we can't trade Fields movement for Melo. I think that was said more so with the viewpoint that Fields shouldn't be Included on top of the many other assets that the Knicks were already giving up. I don't think it was due to his value alone. In hindsight Fields should have been moved and we should have kept those future draft picks given up instead.

And I remember it was Garnett before he was moved to Boston. I don't remember Webber.

IMO I wouldn't give up both Zion AND Mitch. Would have to be one or the other. And if we don't sign any FAs then I don't think I make the trade for Davis. I'd rather just ride with hopefully a combo of Zion and Mitch with a ton of space and assets and make smaller moves/upgrades over time. Only wanna go after Davis as a finishing move if 2 studs are obtained.

ramtour420
Russian Federation
2/27/2019  11:20 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:
Welpee wrote:

While I wasn't apart of the we can't trade Fields movement for Melo. I think that was said more so with the viewpoint that Fields shouldn't be Included on top of the many other assets that the Knicks were already giving up. I don't think it was due to his value alone. In hindsight Fields should have been moved and we should have kept those future draft picks given up instead.

And I remember it was Garnett before he was moved to Boston. I don't remember Webber.

IMO I wouldn't give up both Zion AND Mitch. Would have to be one or the other. And if we don't sign any FAs then I don't think I make the trade for Davis. I'd rather just ride with hopefully a combo of Zion and Mitch with a ton of space and assets and make smaller moves/upgrades over time. Only wanna go after Davis as a finishing move if 2 studs are obtained.

Is it even physically possible cap wise to have 3 max contracts on the same team? Or more precisely how much money would we have to keep our other players ( not counting vet min deals)

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

2/27/2019  11:41 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/27/2019  11:44 AM
My Celtics and Lakers fan friends were both very upset about the fact we drafted Robinson. Both fanbases were very hopeful that he'd fall to them. I am so pumped the we got a young Tyson Chandler or another Clint Capella. He's so young he very well could expand his game to be more than that. He struggles with his fouls but again he's young. He's definitely the most exciting of our rookies and, wow, am I excited to think about him and DSJ pairing together. That's an athletic 1-2 punch. Hopefully Knox beefs up and we can add him to the list. I know there is a contingent of anti-Zioners but the prospect of adding that type of athleticism to that 1-2 long term is ****ing exciting. If it works that very well could be as athletic as the 90s Sonics. Get the right UFA and now all of a sudden it looks like we could potentially exceed that
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
ramtour420
Russian Federation
2/27/2019  1:01 PM
Two blocks on one possession

ramtour420
Russian Federation
2/27/2019  1:04 PM
This is basketball poetry in slow motion

stanleybostitch
Member: #1071

2/27/2019  1:52 PM
ramtour420 wrote:This is basketball poetry in slow motion

Is it too soon to say I like Mitch's upside more than Porzingis?

The new new core: Randle, RJ, IQ. Maybe Mitch. Future pick. Future trade. Future FA.
ramtour420
Russian Federation
2/27/2019  4:20 PM
stanleybostitch wrote:

MitchRob is already a better defender. He blocks and rebounds better. He is a legit C and plays like one. He is not a tweener. Those things are what you need from a big man. Those things by themselves have made big men into All-Stars before. If he develops at least one go to move,it doesn't even have to be a 3 point shot, just a simple bank shot ala Tim Duncan, that would open up the offensive part of the game for him and he could become a bigger part of the teams offense. He would be a complete player then, not sure what his ceiling is but what he is doing looks sustainable and the league is taking notice already

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
2/27/2019  5:02 PM
stanleybostitch wrote:

I don’t think so. Prior to and just after the draft there were reports that Mitch already had AD skills. There was a great podcast with Mitch’s high school coach where he raved about Mitch’s skills.
Also, so many health, injury and attitude concerns with KP. Wasn’t KP going to need surgery on his elbow prior to tearing his acl?
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Welpee
Member: #6239

2/27/2019  5:56 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
Welpee wrote:

May have been both Webber and Garnett. I remember being on the side of not trading Frye for Webber. Regarding Fields, I remember folks feeling like they were OK shipping out anybody other than STAT and Fields and thought it was a coup not including him in the deal.
Can't trade Mitch for AD

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy