Author Thread
HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

2/9/2019  5:29 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/9/2019  7:10 PM
VCoug wrote:
RonRon wrote:Terry Rozier >>> DSR

In EVERY category

if we can sell high on DSJ and acquire Rozier for less than Starter money i think it would be a HUGE upgrade
in fact Rozier probably better than Irving in running a team/defense/identity and most importantly tempo/system/keeping others involved

No? Rozier's the very definition of mediocrity. He's also a worse shooter and gets less assists than DSJr so I don't know what you mean by EVERY category. And that's comparing Rozier's 4th year with DSJr's 2nd; here's the comparison for both players 2nd years: https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=Terry+Rozier&player_id1_select=Terry+Rozier&y1=2017&player_id1=roziete01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Dennis+Smith+Jr.&player_id2_select=Dennis+Smith+Jr.&y2=2019&player_id2=smithde03&idx=players

No doubt that Knicks fans are, as usual, overrating our own player but I don't see Rozier as anything other than a mediocrity.

Numbers don't back the premise. Not to mention that, imo, if you put Smith on Boston, with their better players, his numbers would be much better than Rozier's

As for KP vs DSJR. Who really cares. If KP goes back to how he was playing before he got hurt, he will be an All Start and a unique talent. If Smith continues to improve I think he can be an All Star as well. Hope they both turn out to be that good. Obviously if Smith reaches that goal it is more important as he is a Knick

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
AUTOADVERT
nykshaknbake
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #492
2/10/2019  7:48 AM
You'd have to say KP right now. He's shown long stretches of being a force offensively and he also consistently plays good defense. the only thing that could derail him is repeated injury.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
2/10/2019  9:37 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
LegendD wrote:KP >>>>> DSJ.
Is even stupid to think differently

Yeah. Barring injuries, this is a no-brainer. But a lot could happen. KP is fragile, DSJ has a coach who believes in him etc. Real talk: I wish the Knicks didn't have to make that trade. Unfortunately, Janis overplayed his hand and we had to move. I think we got a solid return back, all things considered.

The return we got was actually amazing under the circumstances. It checks all of the boxes and some.

Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
2/10/2019  10:15 AM
A healthy Porzingis is still a special player. But the question remains that if his being special also puts him close to injury and out of the court, then how good isn’t he really?

Smith Jr. looks to have a comparable talent but seems to be more raw at this point. His strengths look natural, while his deficiencies seem untapped yet. He could be great, but needs to mentally set himself to work hard on D and of running a team.

Knicks_Fan
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
2/10/2019  10:44 AM
Knicksfan wrote:A healthy Porzingis is still a special player. But the question remains that if his being special also puts him close to injury and out of the court, then how good isn’t he really?

Smith Jr. looks to have a comparable talent but seems to be more raw at this point. His strengths look natural, while his deficiencies seem untapped yet. He could be great, but needs to mentally set himself to work hard on D and of running a team.

The thing that may hold Smith back is shooting. He really needs to fix his shot. Similar to Mudiay, he has that strange hitch in his shot and his confidence tends to vary. Most of the top-tier PGS in the league can shoot. But i love his upside.

Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
2/10/2019  11:49 AM
Of course DSJ is better than KP. One is playing the other one is dead.
jskinny35
Member: #928
USA
2/10/2019  12:20 PM
Vmart wrote:
jskinny35 wrote:Seems like all the feedback above is true - he's very talented, hogs the ball too much right now, is super athletic, little idea how to run a team and immature... He clearly has tools that a lot of PG's we tried to make work - didn't. That said, it can be a curse or a blessing when you're athletically gifted (eg Steve Francis) - let's hope we create an environment that fights against the entitlement that we see with a lot of young, talented, AAU-type players.

Best case - he retains his athleticism and matures faster and becomes a ball distributor that can take over when appropriate/needed. If so - we definitely got a really good player. If not, he'll be moving on in the future and we'll look for the next one with a similar skill-set. Pairing him with Frank may help increase the ball movement, model defensive play and bring out his strengths.

We did the best we oould given the circumstances with KP - all trades are a roll of the dice so we'll have to wait and see. It's not like he suddenly became athletic after the trade - there are plusses and minuses he has that we will see play out (and have to work on).

Honestly who doesn’t hog the ball on this team? Trier is a ball hog, Knox doesn’t pass much. Frank is the only one trying to get others involved. I like how DSJ is I think he can be a Lillard type of player. Given a great system I can see Frank and DSJ thriving. I still have to say this without a system of play we are not going to see much ball movement or player involvement. I think we already know DSJ can play in a no system play ground mode basketball. Can he play in a system that is the question.

Fair point - we do have too many "me first" shot happy guys. That's my problem with Knox - we see potential but all he really does is stand at the 3 pt line chucking, with occasional floaters. He's actually very good at the floaters but likes to chuck too much. Trier's body language isn't great - so that puts too on Frank to not shoot when in actuality we need all these guys to shoot and pass. That's why I think Frank's individual stats are terrible yet he does pretty well on the +/- stats... he compensates and balances the rest of the offense out. Adding DSJr only makes me think we need to keep Frank more

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
2/10/2019  12:39 PM
jskinny35 wrote:
Vmart wrote:
jskinny35 wrote:Seems like all the feedback above is true - he's very talented, hogs the ball too much right now, is super athletic, little idea how to run a team and immature... He clearly has tools that a lot of PG's we tried to make work - didn't. That said, it can be a curse or a blessing when you're athletically gifted (eg Steve Francis) - let's hope we create an environment that fights against the entitlement that we see with a lot of young, talented, AAU-type players.

Best case - he retains his athleticism and matures faster and becomes a ball distributor that can take over when appropriate/needed. If so - we definitely got a really good player. If not, he'll be moving on in the future and we'll look for the next one with a similar skill-set. Pairing him with Frank may help increase the ball movement, model defensive play and bring out his strengths.

We did the best we oould given the circumstances with KP - all trades are a roll of the dice so we'll have to wait and see. It's not like he suddenly became athletic after the trade - there are plusses and minuses he has that we will see play out (and have to work on).

Honestly who doesn’t hog the ball on this team? Trier is a ball hog, Knox doesn’t pass much. Frank is the only one trying to get others involved. I like how DSJ is I think he can be a Lillard type of player. Given a great system I can see Frank and DSJ thriving. I still have to say this without a system of play we are not going to see much ball movement or player involvement. I think we already know DSJ can play in a no system play ground mode basketball. Can he play in a system that is the question.

Fair point - we do have too many "me first" shot happy guys. That's my problem with Knox - we see potential but all he really does is stand at the 3 pt line chucking, with occasional floaters. He's actually very good at the floaters but likes to chuck too much. Trier's body language isn't great - so that puts too on Frank to not shoot when in actuality we need all these guys to shoot and pass. That's why I think Frank's individual stats are terrible yet he does pretty well on the +/- stats... he compensates and balances the rest of the offense out. Adding DSJr only makes me think we need to keep Frank more

Great points. I also the love the Lillard comparison for DSjr.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Dennis Smith Jr vs. Porzingis

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy