[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Dennis Smith Jr
Author Thread
fitzfarm
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3285

2/2/2019  2:07 PM
smackeddog wrote:Much as I've expressed my scepticism about him, I'm giving him a clean slate. Let's hope he takes off

Me too, I hope he plays so well we target someone other then kyrie although I wouldn’t be upset If we got kyrie, he’s just so injury prone, that worries me .

AUTOADVERT
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

2/2/2019  2:20 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/platform/amp/2019/2/2/18206290/the-unexpected-path-of-dennis-smith-jr-kristaps-porzingis-mavericks-nba-trade-deadline

Chemistry was an issue. Sometimes it just doesnt work out. Dont believe this is a situation where one side is to blame. Doncic is already one of the best P&R players in the league. Not that big a surprise that the focus had shifted to Doncic. Wether or not Smith jr. was pitch perfect, the lack of chemistry on the court made a change inevitable.

If Smith jr doesnt stick, dont believe its going to be because of his personality. More about what he does to round out his game. Im pretty sure he's got a huge chip on his shoulder at this point over this. Lets see how he responds.

You could be right about chemistry. Look ive made it known that im not a huge DSJ fan but there is no question he has offensive ability and is still very young. If we can somehow get him to work more on distribution and at least a little defense it could be a lot of fun.

I think this will turn out badly, but I'll still take Smith Jr's cost controlled contract over Mudiay. If we have to have one dimensional chuckers then I would want the least expensive and youngest one. Hoping he can be taught to play the right way but ZERO confidence in Fiz's ability to do so especially after a great caoch like Carlisle couldn't.

Carlisle was tough on Smith jr. characteristically tough. Never read anything about Carlisle suggesting that he was a problem. Believe Carlisle is too proud to apologize to Smith jr, if he didnt believe he could have handled the transition to Doncic better.

Smith jr was starting from day one, didnt get to ease into learning how to be a starting PG in the NBA.

NY will give Smithjr a great opportunity to run a team. Already has some experience to learn from. Not predicting anything, just glad he's here for the opportunity.

The idea that an accomplished coach has to apologize to an entitled 19 yr old, is why the NBA is falling apart at the seams. Opportunity wasn't lacking discipline was. Discipline more than talent is needed to succeed in the NBA. You can make it to the NBA on talent alone, because you now play only one year in college and may not have major weaknesses in your game exposed. Once you get here it's a different game and everyone elese is also faster, stronger and in a few cases smarter. A coach like Carlisle would have made him great if he had put in the effort sincerely opn both ends of teh floor. Fiz won't make him better, but may lead him to more highlight reels and short term foolishness.

I don't think he had to. I think he did so to reestablish Smith's trade value. They were probably getting crap low ball offers once the story broke and he decided to stay away from the team. They probably had the KP deal diagrammed with the Knicks at this time. As well as possible other deals.

Carlisle may have took one for the team (by apologizing).

Which shows Carlisle at least doesn't put his own ego before his team - think Dennis smith Jrlearned anything from that? NOT LIKELY

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

2/2/2019  3:44 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/2/2019  3:45 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/platform/amp/2019/2/2/18206290/the-unexpected-path-of-dennis-smith-jr-kristaps-porzingis-mavericks-nba-trade-deadline

Chemistry was an issue. Sometimes it just doesnt work out. Dont believe this is a situation where one side is to blame. Doncic is already one of the best P&R players in the league. Not that big a surprise that the focus had shifted to Doncic. Wether or not Smith jr. was pitch perfect, the lack of chemistry on the court made a change inevitable.

If Smith jr doesnt stick, dont believe its going to be because of his personality. More about what he does to round out his game. Im pretty sure he's got a huge chip on his shoulder at this point over this. Lets see how he responds.

You could be right about chemistry. Look ive made it known that im not a huge DSJ fan but there is no question he has offensive ability and is still very young. If we can somehow get him to work more on distribution and at least a little defense it could be a lot of fun.

I think this will turn out badly, but I'll still take Smith Jr's cost controlled contract over Mudiay. If we have to have one dimensional chuckers then I would want the least expensive and youngest one. Hoping he can be taught to play the right way but ZERO confidence in Fiz's ability to do so especially after a great caoch like Carlisle couldn't.

Carlisle was tough on Smith jr. characteristically tough. Never read anything about Carlisle suggesting that he was a problem. Believe Carlisle is too proud to apologize to Smith jr, if he didnt believe he could have handled the transition to Doncic better.

Smith jr was starting from day one, didnt get to ease into learning how to be a starting PG in the NBA.

NY will give Smithjr a great opportunity to run a team. Already has some experience to learn from. Not predicting anything, just glad he's here for the opportunity.

The idea that an accomplished coach has to apologize to an entitled 19 yr old, is why the NBA is falling apart at the seams. Opportunity wasn't lacking discipline was. Discipline more than talent is needed to succeed in the NBA. You can make it to the NBA on talent alone, because you now play only one year in college and may not have major weaknesses in your game exposed. Once you get here it's a different game and everyone elese is also faster, stronger and in a few cases smarter. A coach like Carlisle would have made him great if he had put in the effort sincerely opn both ends of teh floor. Fiz won't make him better, but may lead him to more highlight reels and short term foolishness.

Who says Carlisle didnt want to apologize? Who says Carlisle didnt do anything worth apologizing for? You are putting whatever happened on a kid, and giving mgmt, coaching, a complete pass. Carlisle took responsibility for not handling the situation the best way he could. Players dont respect coaches, organizations who pass the buck. Shows a lack of character to let a kid believe its all on him.

Carlisle is one of the toughest coaches to play for in NBA history. He's admitted that sometimes he doesnt get it right. Remember that huge dustup he got into with Rondo? Championship winning PG? Dont remember Carlisle apologizing for that.

Im old school as well. Never did buy into the idea that if a coach f's up somehow, he's supposed to act like he did nothing wrong, pin it on his players. Treating players with respect doesnt make them "entitled".

Frank was brought along gradually, which was the right thing to do. If he had been thrust into the starting job from day one, I doubt he would have performed as well. Wasnt ready. Just because Smith jr. didnt figure it all out his rookie year, doesnt mean he cant excel. You are writing the kid's epitath before he has played game one for the Knicks.

He was supplanted by one of the best rookies to come around in years, with a very brief chance to make it work. Glad that Dallas isnt the last opportunity that he will ever get in this league. Smith is an amazing athlete who has to learn to combine his athleticism, with a more well rounded game.

Glad he's getting the chance in NY to prove he can run a team long term. Havent seen anyone on the Knicks yet wbo has shown he can for more than a handful of games. You should welcome the competition.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
2/2/2019  3:49 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

Who says Carlisle didnt want to apologize? Who says Carlisle didnt do anything worth apologizing for? You are putting whatever happened on a kid, and giving mgmt, coaching, a complete pass. Carlisle took responsibility for not handling the situation the best way he could. Players dont respect coaches, organizations who pass the buck. Shows a lack of character to let a kid believe its all on him.

Carlisle is one of the toughest coaches to play for in NBA history. He's admitted that sometimes he doesnt get it right. Remember that huge dustup he got into with Rondo? Championship winning PG? Dont remember Carlisle apologizing for that.

Im old school as well. Never did buy into the idea that if a coach f's up somehow, he's supposed to act like he did nothing wrong, pin it on his players. Treating players with respect doesnt make them "entitled".

Frank was brought along gradually, which was the right thing to do. If he had been thrust into the starting job from day one, I doubt he would have performed as well. Wasnt ready. Just because Smith jr. didnt figure it all out his rookie year, doesnt mean he cant excel. You are writing the kid's epitath before he has played game one for the Knicks.

He was supplanted by one of the best rookies to come around in years, with a very brief chance to make it work. Glad that Dallas isnt the last opportunity that he will ever get in this league. Smith is an amazing athlete who has to learn to combine his athleticism, with a more well rounded game.

Glad he's getting the chance in NY to prove he can run a team long term. Havent seen anyone on the Knicks yet wbo has shown he can for more than a handful of games. You should welcome the competition.

Well said. Also, Carlisle was fired from the Pistons in part because he did not relate well to players. Carlisle clashed with Kidd as well. Was Kidd a bad apple?
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

2/2/2019  4:40 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

Agreed...its amazing how Frank can shoot 34% from the field, average 6 pts per for 2 straight years and everyone screams to be patient because he is 21...yet, Dennis Smith is treated like a finished product despite being a few months older than Frank..

newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
2/2/2019  5:26 PM
Uptown wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

Agreed...its amazing how Frank can shoot 34% from the field, average 6 pts per for 2 straight years and everyone screams to be patient because he is 21...yet, Dennis Smith is treated like a finished product despite being a few months older than Frank..

The issue isnt based on Smiths talent level. His potential red flags are more deadly just like his potential talent and skill level are star level . Frank can not pan out as a prospect and he would end up just getting phased out. Smith on the hand even if he develops himself into a highly productive player. May not fit into a team concept. Could have the type of enigma type of talent/personality/character that could cause divide. Or force the team to have to build in specific ways to accommodate.

These things may not happen and are worst case scenario type of things but are honest conversations. Things that were discussed during the draft kind of reared his head for Dallas which was a great situation for him. Championship head coach, all time great mentor, quality vets, phenom Co star.

If he isn't comfortable being a 2nd or 3rd option. That could potentially major issue. Would he be able to get along with Zion if Zion come here and produces similar to Luca and takes NY by storm?

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
newyorknewyork
2/2/2019  5:45 PM
And if any drama unfolds out of this era with DSjr. Knicks rep as a dysfunctional org...
ramtour420
Member: #1388
Russian Federation
2/2/2019  5:45 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
Uptown wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

The issue isnt based on Smiths talent level. His potential red flags are more deadly just like his potential talent and skill level are star level . Frank can not pan out as a prospect and he would end up just getting phased out. Smith on the hand even if he develops himself into a highly productive player. May not fit into a team concept. Could have the type of enigma type of talent/personality/character that could cause divide. Or force the team to have to build in specific ways to accommodate.

These things may not happen and are worst case scenario type of things but are honest conversations. Things that were discussed during the draft kind of reared his head for Dallas which was a great situation for him. Championship head coach, all time great mentor, quality vets, phenom Co star.

If he isn't comfortable being a 2nd or 3rd option. That could potentially major issue. Would he be able to get along with Zion if Zion come here and produces similar to Luca and takes NY by storm?

You mean Zion becomes our PG of the future?

Everything you have ever wanted is on the other side of fear- George Adair
meloshouldgo

2/2/2019  5:47 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

Wait what?

Ok so why don't you explain what happened and how Carlisle ****ed up? And what he did that required apologizing? Do you realize Dennis Smith intentionally ignored plays that were being called for him because he was upset at losing his starting job to a player light years better than him? That's not entitled behavior from a fukking 19 or old?

Keep off the hyperbole.

GustavBahler

2/2/2019  5:51 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
Uptown wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

Could turn out to be that it was more about getting used to playing off the ball. Putting a 19 year old in charge of an NBA offense from day one was bound to get ugly, unless you're someone like Doncic. We heard about Frank's pro experience before the draft, Doncic was the real deal.

Ive played plenty of pickup bball where I didnt click with teammates who were my friends, and trying to be good teammates. From what Ive read Doncic and Smith jr were on good terms. Sometimes its just about chemistry. Too early to tell IMO.

newyorknewyork
2/2/2019  6:07 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/2/2019  6:08 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Uptown wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

Could turn out to be that it was more about getting used to playing off the ball. Putting a 19 year old in charge of an NBA offense from day one was bound to get ugly, unless you're someone like Doncic. We heard about Frank's pro experience before the draft, Doncic was the real deal.

Ive played plenty of pickup bball where I didnt click with teammates who were my friends, and trying to be good teammates. From what Ive read Doncic and Smith jr were on good terms. Sometimes its just about chemistry. Too early to tell IMO.

I was just explaining and creating understanding the push back with Smith in comparison toward Frank. It's a different set of concerns. Smiths concerns are more dangerous imo. He is the more talented prospect.

But I actually like Smith and since he is on the Knicks I'm hoping for the best. But the concerns given Knicks history is understandable.

I'm hoping he balls out and we get Zion and they ball our together and we use the cap space and field a team 9 deep and we take the league by storm next year.

Why not

GustavBahler

2/2/2019  6:07 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/2/2019  6:12 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

Wait what?

Ok so why don't you explain what happened and how Carlisle ****ed up? And what he did that required apologizing? Do you realize Dennis Smith intentionally ignored plays that were being called for him because he was upset at losing his starting job to a player light years better than him? That's not entitled behavior from a fukking 19 or old?

Keep off the hyperbole.

When was this? The second they saw what they had with Doncic, it looks like they were falling over themselves to turn the team over to him. Making a transition to Doncic as the focal point of the offense, was the right thing to do. The way the way they went about doing that might have been badly handled. Smith jr. a few months earlier was being groomed as the PG/Floor general of the future, and like that its gone. Dont believe its hyperbole to say that Carlisle may have been too business like about it, and not factoring in Smith jr's age, and what he was told not long ago.

As far as hyperbole "one dimensional chucker" isnt exactly in depth analysis. Believe you're being a bit hasty here. And I cant get a refund on the DSJ uniform I bought you!

newyorknewyork
2/2/2019  6:20 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/2/2019  6:20 PM
ramtour420 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Uptown wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

You mean Zion becomes our PG of the future?

Zion has point forward potential. Positions mean less in todays NBA. Luca lines up at PF but gets the usage and responsibility of a PG. Zion isn't gonna be just a finisher. He will be given tons of Lee way to facilitate and lead fast breaks off rebounds. Etc

meloshouldgo

2/3/2019  10:52 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/3/2019  11:02 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

Wait what?

Keep off the hyperbole.

When was this? The second they saw what they had with Doncic, it looks like they were falling over themselves to turn the team over to him. Making a transition to Doncic as the focal point of the offense, was the right thing to do. The way the way they went about doing that might have been badly handledSmith jr. a few months earlier was being groomed as the PG/Floor general of the future, and like that its gone. Dont believe its hyperbole to say that Carlisle may have been too business like about it, and not factoring in Smith jr's age, and what he was told not long ago.
As far as hyperbole "one dimensional chucker" isnt exactly in depth analysis. Believe you're being a bit hasty here. And I cant get a refund on the DSJ uniform I bought you!

I asked you what did Carlisle do that needed apologizing for. Simple question. No answer. Why is handing the offense over to the better player considered ****ing up? You got nothing. He had a full season to show he could be a PG and he didn't. So yes he should accept taking a back seat till he is already able to show that he had the goods.And no shooting 14ppg isn't the criteria for being a PG, it requires passing and setting up the offense.

"He is very athletic, but he’s not a playmaker and not a great shooter," one front office executive told SN. "If you have money under the cap this offseason (the Suns and Magic will), there are other guys you can pursue who fit better, who can pass and score."

The third challenge is a very unusual one. It’s the situation itself, the very fact that a player just one-and-a-half years into his NBA career is already at a standstill with his organization. Smith has been sitting out for the last four games, with what’s being called a back issue, but he is clearly healthy.

The problem centers on Smith’s change in role with the addition of rookie Luka Doncic. Smith’s field-goal attempts have dropped from 14.8 per game to 10.6, and his usage rate has gone from 28.9 to 22.8. He has butted heads with Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle along the way.

A 21 year old whose best season was scoring 14 PPG and 4 assists with 3 TOs can't accept a lesser role in the team or lesser shot attempts. And you are happy he is here? Sounds about right.

I should welcome the competition????? You mean like this-

Smith jr. a few months earlier was being groomed as the PG/Floor general of the future, and like that its gone. Dont believe its hyperbole to say that Carlisle may have been too business like about it, and not factoring in Smith jr's age, and what he was told not long ago.

Keep the Jersey slick, you'll need something to wipe the stupid off your face in a season or two.

meloshouldgo

2/3/2019  11:09 AM
BTW - happy you are back and posting again.
GustavBahler

2/3/2019  11:11 AM
meloshouldgo wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

Wait what?

Keep off the hyperbole.

When was this? The second they saw what they had with Doncic, it looks like they were falling over themselves to turn the team over to him. Making a transition to Doncic as the focal point of the offense, was the right thing to do. The way the way they went about doing that might have been badly handledSmith jr. a few months earlier was being groomed as the PG/Floor general of the future, and like that its gone. Dont believe its hyperbole to say that Carlisle may have been too business like about it, and not factoring in Smith jr's age, and what he was told not long ago.

I asked you what did Carlisle do that needed apologizing for. Simple question. No answer. Why is handing the offense over to the better player considered ****ing up? You got nothing. He had a full season to show he could be a PG and he didn't. So yes he should accept taking a back seat till he is already able to show that he had the goods.And no shooting 14ppg isn't the criteria for being a PG, it requires passing and setting up the offense.

"He is very athletic, but he’s not a playmaker and not a great shooter," one front office executive told SN. "If you have money under the cap this offseason (the Suns and Magic will), there are other guys you can pursue who fit better, who can pass and score."

The third challenge is a very unusual one. It’s the situation itself, the very fact that a player just one-and-a-half years into his NBA career is already at a standstill with his organization. Smith has been sitting out for the last four games, with what’s being called a back issue, but he is clearly healthy.

The problem centers on Smith’s change in role with the addition of rookie Luka Doncic. Smith’s field-goal attempts have dropped from 14.8 per game to 10.6, and his usage rate has gone from 28.9 to 22.8. He has butted heads with Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle along the way.

A 21 year old whose best season was scoring 14 PPG and 4 assists with 3 TOs can't accept a lesser role in the team or lesser shot attempts. And you are happy he is here? Sounds about right.

Smith jr. a few months earlier was being groomed as the PG/Floor general of the future, and like that its gone. Dont believe its hyperbole to say that Carlisle may have been too business like about it, and not factoring in Smith jr's age, and what he was told not long ago.

Keep the Jersey slick, you'll need something to wipe the stupid off your face in a season or two.

You want to carry on a conversation like a 12 year old, have at it. You always go there, no one insulted you. Not worth my time.

Welpee
Member: #6239

2/3/2019  11:19 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

Wait what?

Keep off the hyperbole.

When was this? The second they saw what they had with Doncic, it looks like they were falling over themselves to turn the team over to him. Making a transition to Doncic as the focal point of the offense, was the right thing to do. The way the way they went about doing that might have been badly handled. Smith jr. a few months earlier was being groomed as the PG/Floor general of the future, and like that its gone. Dont believe its hyperbole to say that Carlisle may have been too business like about it, and not factoring in Smith jr's age, and what he was told not long ago.

Everybody he doesn't like gets labeled "one dimensional chucker."
meloshouldgo

2/3/2019  11:34 AM
Welpee wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

Wait what?

Keep off the hyperbole.

Everybody he doesn't like gets labeled "one dimensional chucker."

No just that the Knicks are the rehabilitation center for the ones that actually are one dimensional chuckers. Melo, Rose, THJR, Mudiay, Burke, Smith is an endless list of them. It's a disease

meloshouldgo

2/3/2019  11:37 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

Wait what?

Keep off the hyperbole.

You want to carry on a conversation like a 12 year old, have at it. You always go there, no one insulted you. Not worth my time.

I said you would look stupid in 2 years. That was insulting like a 12 year old?
LMAO

homeskillitprigioni
Member: #4507

2/3/2019  4:04 PM
This guy is the classic losing team starter. Terrible defensively even though he's an explosive athlete, does the old pound the rock for 10 seconds and chucks a contested long jumper, doesn't have great court vision, and doesn't look to have an adaptable game to potentially being a quality supporting player to 2 star players.

I think his ceiling is a quality 6th man but I don't think he's going to be amenable to that role for a few years.

I'd deal him after the season. I'm in the camp of trading for AD if possible and would want him to be a piece in that trade.

Dennis Smith Jr

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy