[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Dennis Smith Jr
Author Thread
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

2/1/2019  10:19 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/1/2019  4:40 PM
Smith is the same age as Frank (maybe a few months older) so hopefully he is afforded the same patience that some of us preach for Frank. Smith is far from a finished product but he has some very enticing tools....Tools that are ready made for the way the game is played today for lead-guards...Extremely athletic, can finish above the rim, can score, can create for him-self, plays down hill..etc. Obviously, he is an unfinished product and has a lot of work to do to round out his game, but he is not without the tools...
AUTOADVERT
nykshaknbake
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #492
2/1/2019  11:23 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/1/2019  11:25 AM
Uptown wrote:Smith is the same age as Frank (maybe a few months older) so hopefully he is afforded the same patients that some of us preach for Frank. Smith is far from a finished product but he has some very enticing tools....Tools that are ready made for the way the game is played today for lead-guards...Extremely athletic, can finish above the rim, can score, can create for him-self, plays down hill..etc. Obviously, he is an unfinished product and has a lot of work to do to round out his game, but he is not without the tools...

This. I think he has a high ceiling and could be an all star if he can learn to be a good facilitator. It's silly to expect a lot of polish on that end at 19-20 years old. Despite people here saying definitively that he can't shoot he's at 44% and 34.5% from 3;both improvements from last year. Meanwhile those same people claim Frank has proven he can shoot despite his numbers and regression. Defense is going to be a weak point, but it is with so many lead guards. It's absolutely now Frank vs DSJ, even more than Mudiay, so expect a lot of polarization on this board.

MS
Member: #724
2/1/2019  11:30 AM
If they are truly committed to a rebuild.

They need to start

Frank/Trier
Smith/Doston
Matthews
Knox/Noah
Robinson/Kornet

Let them take their lumps out there and try to grow. Buy out Mudiay, Jordan, Kanter and see what you actually have. I am a little nervous that they will win a few more games with Matthews and Jordan playing minutes.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
2/1/2019  11:37 AM
nykshaknbake wrote:
Uptown wrote:Smith is the same age as Frank (maybe a few months older) so hopefully he is afforded the same patients that some of us preach for Frank. Smith is far from a finished product but he has some very enticing tools....Tools that are ready made for the way the game is played today for lead-guards...Extremely athletic, can finish above the rim, can score, can create for him-self, plays down hill..etc. Obviously, he is an unfinished product and has a lot of work to do to round out his game, but he is not without the tools...

This. I think he has a high ceiling and could be an all star if he can learn to be a good facilitator. It's silly to expect a lot of polish on that end at 19-20 years old. Despite people here saying definitively that he can't shoot he's at 44% and 34.5% from 3;both improvements from last year. Meanwhile those same people claim Frank has proven he can shoot despite his numbers and regression. Defense is going to be a weak point, but it is with so many lead guards. It's absolutely now Frank vs DSJ, even more than Mudiay, so expect a lot of polarization on this board.

He is a freak athlete. He has the highest recorded vertical jump, 48 inches. Also, I believe he has an extra ligament in his knee that allowed him to heal much quicker from his acl tear. He is very young and very talented. As others have said, the Knicks need to have patience with him. He was a top 5 talent in a very strong draft b
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/1/2019  11:43 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:
arkrud wrote:
jskinny35 wrote:Haven't watched him play much - wondering what the consensus is about him and his potential. Are we expecting him to become our starting point or do the Bricks still pick a point like Ja Morant over other solid players like RJ or Cameron if all are available? Seems like he needs the ball in his hands a lot, and doesn't play too much defense. On flip side he is athletic, penetrates and can distribute when he wants to... Thoughts?

JR comes to mind...

He has more craft to his game than JR is better at attacking the rim while Jr relied on his jumper. Dennis Smith doesn't take as many boneheaded shots since he is more willing to attack the rim, also has better passing vision. But Jr when he wanted to could defend pretty well and defend multiple positions. Smith's main issue will be if he can defend enough to not be a liability. Also needs to improve ft shooting and tone down the TOS.

He has the potential to round out his game but he has to want it. The fact that he wasn't getting along with Carlisle to go along with his past history isn't a good look for him though.

Dennis Smith Jr and JR Smith.... LOl best we start using middle names when comparing those 2 dudes

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
2/1/2019  12:09 PM
martin wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
arkrud wrote:
jskinny35 wrote:Haven't watched him play much - wondering what the consensus is about him and his potential. Are we expecting him to become our starting point or do the Bricks still pick a point like Ja Morant over other solid players like RJ or Cameron if all are available? Seems like he needs the ball in his hands a lot, and doesn't play too much defense. On flip side he is athletic, penetrates and can distribute when he wants to... Thoughts?

JR comes to mind...

He has more craft to his game than JR is better at attacking the rim while Jr relied on his jumper. Dennis Smith doesn't take as many boneheaded shots since he is more willing to attack the rim, also has better passing vision. But Jr when he wanted to could defend pretty well and defend multiple positions. Smith's main issue will be if he can defend enough to not be a liability. Also needs to improve ft shooting and tone down the TOS.

He has the potential to round out his game but he has to want it. The fact that he wasn't getting along with Carlisle to go along with his past history isn't a good look for him though.

Dennis Smith Jr and JR Smith.... LOl best we start using middle names when comparing those 2 dudes

Don't matter. It's the same player.
Lighting strikes twice.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
Chandler
Member: #6197

2/1/2019  12:52 PM
smackeddog wrote:Seems like whenever he has a big stats game, it has little impact on the team winning. Sulked and wanted a trade because Doncic was taking the ball out of his hands (so seems more interested in getting his than winning). Not really a fan of his.

+ 1

(5)(5)
CrushAlot
USA
2/1/2019  2:41 PM
Chandler wrote:
smackeddog wrote:Seems like whenever he has a big stats game, it has little impact on the team winning. Sulked and wanted a trade because Doncic was taking the ball out of his hands (so seems more interested in getting his than winning). Not really a fan of his.

+ 1

Mavs didn’t win much last year. Were losses that he put up good numbers games that they lost because of him?
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
2/1/2019  2:47 PM
I live in Dallas and this what they say about JR. He is a good kid but he left the team. The Mavs did a good job of not letting more leak out and they covered up a lot of stuff to make JR look appealing to other teams.

The Dallas media is really soft here not like NY they love their football and basketball well isn’t as popular. It’s all Cowboys all the time so why JR did was basically given a pass.

Chandler

2/1/2019  3:00 PM
will be interesting this next week. Frank, Mud, DSJ -- I imagine all are on the table at the moment;
(5)(5)
knicks1248
Member: #582
2/1/2019  3:00 PM

thats young players in a nut shell, I mean look at Knox and Trier, those 2 only pass as a 4th option, and KP didn't exactly share the ball either

ES
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

2/1/2019  3:01 PM
Chandler wrote:

+ 1

Fact is the Mavs were a bad team last year. Harrison Barnes was there best player. Mathews, as you will see, was very inconsistent. They had no outside shooting nor post presence. But would admit that Smith was hardly an impact player to lead a team into the playoffs.

Not being sarcastic, but can you post where he was sulking or whining about a trade? Have not seen any. Think this has been overstated without any proof. Think he and his representatives just made a business and development decision. Mavs have a player in Luca that they want to make the focul point. Smith quickly became disposable. Nothing wrong with a team changing directions. But then there should be nothing wrong with a player deciding that it is best to move on. KP did so without the team telling him they were moving in a different direction. Seems that is ok with some around here.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
Chandler

2/1/2019  3:06 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
Chandler wrote:

+ 1

Fact is the Mavs were a bad team last year. Harrison Barnes was there best player. Mathews, as you will see, was very inconsistent. They had no outside shooting nor post presence. But would admit that Smith was hardly an impact player to lead a team into the playoffs.

Not being sarcastic, but can you post where he was sulking or whining about a trade? Have not seen any. Think this has been overstated without any proof. Think he and his representatives just made a business and development decision. Mavs have a player in Luca that they want to make the focul point. Smith quickly became disposable. Nothing wrong with a team changing directions. But then there should be nothing wrong with a player deciding that it is best to move on. KP did so without the team telling him they were moving in a different direction. Seems that is ok with some around here.

you realize he left the team, right? took a time-out

(5)(5)
Welpee
Member: #6239

2/1/2019  4:25 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/1/2019  4:50 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
ESOMKnicks wrote:I have always thought that DSJr is a poor man's DRose. And we all remember how the rich man's DRose worked out over here.

Stats-wise, even Mudiay is a little better. DSJr is a bigger TO machine than even Mudiay. And this is quite an achievement in itself.

I always thought the Steve Francis comparisons we're apt. Crazy hops, nice ability to change direction and is good for one highlight a game. The bad? Over dribbles, shaky shot selection and isn't efficient enough to justify a high usage. He has to learn the point guard position and will need patience.
People have short memories, Francis was consider a top player. He put up like 20 ppg, 6 reb, 6 assists and 1.5 steals his first four seasons in the league. Then his career fell off the cliff, but in the beginning he was a top flight player.
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
2/1/2019  4:32 PM
Welpee wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
ESOMKnicks wrote:I have always thought that DSJr is a poor man's DRose. And we all remember how the rich man's DRose worked out over here.

Stats-wise, even Mudiay is a little better. DSJr is a bigger TO machine than even Mudiay. And this is quite an achievement in itself.

I always thought the Steve Francis comparisons we're apt. Crazy hops, nice ability to change direction and is good for one highlight a game. The bad? Over dribbles, shaky shot selection and isn't efficient enough to justify a high usage. He has to learn the point guard position and will need patience.
People have short memories, Francis was consider a top player. He put up like 20 ppg, 6 reb, 6 assists and 1.5 steals his first four seasons in the league. Then his career fell off the cliff, but in the beginning he was a top flight player.

That is true injuries got to him. But Francis was a good player.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

2/1/2019  4:38 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/1/2019  4:39 PM
Welpee wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

He was a top flight "talent." But he isn't known as a winning basketball player. I'm not saying he was inherently selfish, but he played streetball type game. For every highlight dunk, there are highlights of him dribbling the air out of the ball for ill-advised fadeaway Js. He only shot over 45% from the field once in his career and he shot 43% overall.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
2/1/2019  4:44 PM
martin wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
arkrud wrote:

JR comes to mind...

Lol, I'm gonna have to call him Dennis when comparing the 2.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
2/1/2019  4:49 PM
nykshaknbake wrote:

The question is more so if he can fit into a team concept THAN if he can turn himself into an all star level player. Talent is there to be an all star, but even if he were to accomplish that feat. Doesn't guarantee that he is able to fit in a team concept and play with other gifted players who need the ball which has been a red flag when evaluating him.

He will be able to change the narrative here in NY. And I will only evaluate what he does for the Knicks. Hopefully Fizz is able to mold him into the type of player we need him to be to win.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
CrushAlot
USA
2/1/2019  6:25 PM
Chandler wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Chandler wrote:

+ 1

Hooefully there is more to the story and he just needs a fresh start. I remember hating the Spree trade. I wanted no part of a guy that would choke his coach. I certainly didn’t want to give up Starks for that guy. Obviously it turned out well for the K I is. Many years after that I became friends with a guy who was a Bay Area reporter at that time. He wasn’t the main reporter for the Warriors but did cover them on a semi regular basis. He told me all the beat guys were excited that Spree had gone after P.J. Said the guy was a total @ss and that no one liked him. He had the misfortune of following Nellie, a guy loved by the beat writers. Nothing ever came out about that nationally.
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

2/1/2019  6:44 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Chandler wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Chandler wrote:

+ 1

Hooefully there is more to the story and he just needs a fresh start. I remember hating the Spree trade. I wanted no part of a guy that would choke his coach. I certainly didn’t want to give up Starks for that guy. Obviously it turned out well for the K I is. Many years after that I became friends with a guy who was a Bay Area reporter at that time. He wasn’t the main reporter for the Warriors but did cover them on a semi regular basis. He told me all the beat guys were excited that Spree had gone after P.J. Said the guy was a total @ss and that no one liked him. He had the misfortune of following Nellie, a guy loved by the beat writers. Nothing ever came out about that nationally.
Yes its true PJ was a ballbuster BUT choking someone is far worse. I also hated the trade originally because Starks was my guy but Spree behaved himself decently in NY and helped us get to the finals. Still has some screws loose lol
Dennis Smith Jr

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy