[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Dennis Smith Jr
Author Thread
jskinny35
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #928
USA
2/1/2019  12:04 AM
Haven't watched him play much - wondering what the consensus is about him and his potential. Are we expecting him to become our starting point or do the Bricks still pick a point like Ja Morant over other solid players like RJ or Cameron if all are available? Seems like he needs the ball in his hands a lot, and doesn't play too much defense. On flip side he is athletic, penetrates and can distribute when he wants to... Thoughts?
AUTOADVERT
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
2/1/2019  12:06 AM
jskinny35 wrote:Haven't watched him play much - wondering what the consensus is about him and his potential. Are we expecting him to become our starting point or do the Bricks still pick a point like Ja Morant over other solid players like RJ or Cameron if all are available? Seems like he needs the ball in his hands a lot, and doesn't play too much defense. On flip side he is athletic, penetrates and can distribute when he wants to... Thoughts?

JR comes to mind...

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
ramtour420
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1388
Russian Federation
2/1/2019  12:07 AM
Can he throw a lob pass? PnR much? Drive and dish? Need to see it in a real game.
Everything you have ever wanted is on the other side of fear- George Adair
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
2/1/2019  12:08 AM
He reminds me of Orlando version Oladipo.
~You can't run from who you are.~
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
2/1/2019  12:16 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/1/2019  12:16 AM
joec32033 wrote:He reminds me of Orlando version Oladipo.

Imagine that...

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
PhilinLA
Member: #696
2/1/2019  2:16 AM
Smith sucks. They collect ball hogs. Imbeciles.
http://amonthhoffundays.blogspot.com/ We got a ringer.
blkexec
Member: #748
2/1/2019  2:19 AM
He was my draft pick selection over Frank....Living in Dallas, fans loved him. He was be coming the face of the franchise until luka showed up. He will shine under the Broadway lights. Not sure if hes longterm anymore.....but short term he will be on espn highlights with a dunk or 2.
Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
ESOMKnicks
Member: #6064

2/1/2019  2:39 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/1/2019  2:47 AM
I have always thought that DSJr is a poor man's DRose. And we all remember how the rich man's DRose worked out over here.

Stats-wise, even Mudiay is a little better. DSJr is a bigger TO machine than even Mudiay. And this is quite an achievement in itself.

JamesKPolk
Member: #4093

2/1/2019  3:13 AM
He's a poor man's Steve Francis.

No basketball IQ and can't shoot. So he fits right in to the franchise.

"Peace, plenty, and contentment reign throughout our borders, and our beloved country presents a sublime moral spectacle to the world." - James K Polk
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

2/1/2019  3:14 AM
ESOMKnicks wrote:I have always thought that DSJr is a poor man's DRose. And we all remember how the rich man's DRose worked out over here.

Stats-wise, even Mudiay is a little better. DSJr is a bigger TO machine than even Mudiay. And this is quite an achievement in itself.

I always thought the Steve Francis comparisons we're apt. Crazy hops, nice ability to change direction and is good for one highlight a game. The bad? Over dribbles, shaky shot selection and isn't efficient enough to justify a high usage. He has to learn the point guard position and will need patience.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
smackeddog
Member: #883
2/1/2019  3:53 AM
Seems like whenever he has a big stats game, it has little impact on the team winning. Sulked and wanted a trade because Doncic was taking the ball out of his hands (so seems more interested in getting his than winning). Not really a fan of his.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/1/2019  5:07 AM
Now that he is here.........
We can watch him and see his game. He is a knick on a rookie contract so was projected to be the first pick in the draft. Remember he did not play his senior year in high school and it took him half a season to acclimate to ACC conference. What is he, 21 years old?
HE goes into the FRank, Knox, ANd Mitch upside pedigree of talent pool.
H
Cartman718
Member: #1694

2/1/2019  8:21 AM
Twitter talking about him tweeting in 2012 that his talent is "slanging wood in my pants"
and about 3 yrs ago about "you may not like me but yo bitch does" paraphrasing the 2nd one but basically that.

Sounds like a young JR Smith would. Maybe Craig Robinson and Fiz can knock some sense into him.

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
2/1/2019  8:53 AM
I'd like to see what we can get out of Smith, Mudiay and Frank with Dotson in the mix - lets give those 4 a chance to try to turn into something.

I'd like to see Smith and Mudiay on the floor together - Smith can be the scorer- which he is.

And the best part is if he doesn't work out, we can probably trade him for a pick or as a sweetener in another deal.

We got upside potential- whether that is realized or not will play out.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

2/1/2019  9:06 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/1/2019  9:20 AM
Cartman718 wrote:Twitter talking about him tweeting in 2012 that his talent is "slanging wood in my pants"
and about 3 yrs ago about "you may not like me but yo bitch does" paraphrasing the 2nd one but basically that.

Sounds like a young JR Smith would. Maybe Craig Robinson and Fiz can knock some sense into him.

Im glad twitter wasnt around when I was a kid, lol. Also has a long way to go to be negatively compared to JR. I agree that Fizdale might help him with his game, he was dribbling the ball awfully high at times last game.

Smith jr.was supposed to enter the dunk contest before he got traded. Would be fun to see him represent NY.

Skiddish about bringing Irving to NY with his injuries, and drama, at times. Would much rather see Smith jr. pan out, so the yoots have a PG they can grow with. Kyrie for the max could turn into a long term disaster, if the injuries pile up.

Dont believe Kyrie and Durant can get us a ring. Not needing to spend max money on a PG, and bringing in two max players at other positions would be a better idea IMO.

newyorknewyork
Member: #541
2/1/2019  9:07 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/1/2019  9:09 AM
arkrud wrote:
jskinny35 wrote:Haven't watched him play much - wondering what the consensus is about him and his potential. Are we expecting him to become our starting point or do the Bricks still pick a point like Ja Morant over other solid players like RJ or Cameron if all are available? Seems like he needs the ball in his hands a lot, and doesn't play too much defense. On flip side he is athletic, penetrates and can distribute when he wants to... Thoughts?

JR comes to mind...

He has more craft to his game than JR is better at attacking the rim while Jr relied on his jumper. Dennis Smith doesn't take as many boneheaded shots since he is more willing to attack the rim, also has better passing vision. But Jr when he wanted to could defend pretty well and defend multiple positions. Smith's main issue will be if he can defend enough to not be a liability. Also needs to improve ft shooting and tone down the TOS.

He has the potential to round out his game but he has to want it. The fact that he wasn't getting along with Carlisle to go along with his past history isn't a good look for him though.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
GustavBahler

2/1/2019  9:18 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/1/2019  9:18 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:
arkrud wrote:

JR comes to mind...

He has more craft to his game than JR is better at attacking the rim while Jr relied on his jumper. Smith doesn't take as many boneheaded shots since he is more willing to attack the rim, also has better passing vision. But Jr when he wanted to could defend pretty well and defend multiple positions. Smith's main issue will be if he can defend enough to not be a liability. Also needs to improve ft shooting and tone down the TOS.

He has the potential to round out his game but he has to want it. The fact that he wasn't getting along with Carlisle to go along with his past history isn't a good look for him though.

Before Doncic showed up, they were getting along well. Carlisle is a tough coach. They had two ball dominant alpha dogs on the team with Smith and Doncic.

Glad that Smith jr. didnt want to become Robin, to Doncic's Batman. Thats what you want in a starting PG. We dont need a Derek Fisher type right now who mostly defers. Doncic is the PG in Dallas for all intents and purposes. Thats why Smith jr was expendable.

HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

2/1/2019  9:41 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/1/2019  9:45 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:
arkrud wrote:

JR comes to mind...

He has more craft to his game than JR is better at attacking the rim while Jr relied on his jumper. Dennis Smith doesn't take as many boneheaded shots since he is more willing to attack the rim, also has better passing vision. But Jr when he wanted to could defend pretty well and defend multiple positions. Smith's main issue will be if he can defend enough to not be a liability. Also needs to improve ft shooting and tone down the TOS.

Very good post and fair analysis. No secret I thought Smith Jr. was a better pick than Frank. Thought he may have been the point guard we needed to team up with KP. I watched a lot of him in college and watched most of the games in Dallas last year. The hounds around here will have you believe he is just a ball hog with no court vision and does not try on defense. Just not true unless your only source is the UK boards. As those fans saw on Wedenesday, the kid has very good vision, attacks the basket and sets up outside shooters quite well. Agree that he still has a lot of work to oa with his outside shot and defense. But what second year doesn't? Also agree that that is what may hold him back from being a star in the league. He is also very raw at the point guard spot. But think most forget how difficult it is to come into the league and play the point guard position at such a young age. Reason why I thought Frank should been given more games to learn it before we pushed him out of that position. As Nalod mentioned, Smith is just another one of our projects.

With that said, think this was a terrible trade. Think Smith should be dealt for a draft pick. As we are seeing, the hyenas are smelling the potential carcuss. There is no way this kid will get a fair shot here as he is the only return in what may be the worst trade in Knick history. As we have seen with some of the former draft picks we picked up in the off season, living up to expectations is real hard. Think it would be best for both the Knicks and Smith if they shipped him. As much as I liked Smith over Frank, there is no way his play can live up to what KP had created. Which was hope that we were finally on the right track. Dolan has done it again. Fooled the fans into giving him another 5 years of collecting season ticket money, watching the franchise price tag go up and give the Charlie Brown gang another football to try to kick. As I have said before, Mills is a puppet. He is the calssic yes man, not a basketball man. The idea that some thought Perry had any autonomy is ridiculous. Same ole Knicks.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
Juliano
Member: #7589

2/1/2019  9:48 AM
GustavBahler wrote:Glad that Smith jr. didnt want to become Robin, to Doncic's Batman. Thats what you want in a starting PG.

That I don't agree with. You want your players to try and do what is good for the team first, unless they belong to a small group of multigenerational talents (Jordan, Kobe, Lebron). That Smith threw a tantrum once he wasn't the shiny new toy anymore instead of working hard to get his spot back -or at least share the spotlight- doesn't tell a pretty story to me, and it fits the image of an entitled diva. We'll see how he develops in NY.

GustavBahler

2/1/2019  10:17 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/1/2019  10:23 AM
Juliano wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Glad that Smith jr. didnt want to become Robin, to Doncic's Batman. Thats what you want in a starting PG.

That I don't agree with. You want your players to try and do what is good for the team first, unless they belong to a small group of multigenerational talents (Jordan, Kobe, Lebron). That Smith threw a tantrum once he wasn't the shiny new toy anymore instead of working hard to get his spot back -or at least share the spotlight- doesn't tell a pretty story to me, and it fits the image of an entitled diva. We'll see how he develops in NY.

Smith jr was drafted to be a floor general for the Mavs, and was supplanted by a multi generational player, which Doncic looks to be. Chemistry matters. Its not just about being willing to take a lesser role, its also about who you fit in a different role. Smith jr, didnt.

Smith jr knew that, Carlisle knew that, and Mavs mgmt knew it. Thats why Smith jr is a Knick. Believe its too early to say that Smith jr. is a diva. Carlisle admitted that he should have handled the transition to the Mavs with Doncic as the focal point of the offense, better.

Lets see what happens.

Dennis Smith Jr

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy