[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

OT: Giants offense/defense
Author Thread
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

9/20/2004  6:19 PM
Do you guys see the potential or is it me?

The offense right now is being lead by a smarter, more alert Quarterback in Warner.

Look at his options on offense: Shocky is one of the best pass catching TE's in the League, Tiki Barber is one of the best recieving backs in the league, Hilliard, Toomer and Tim Carter are all serious threats at Wide out.....
And the offensive line is gonna get more and more confident game to game.

The defense are a bunch of under achievers and cry babies. They finally found their pride against the Redskins and with Coughlin busting their chops they might be up to the challenge.

Why can't this team with 9 games? Coming into the season no one was talking about the Giants actually winning anything let alone make it to the playoffs....

I thing 9-7 is not out of the question.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
AUTOADVERT
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
9/20/2004  6:56 PM
Big Blue's D yesturday was incredible, they seemed to be forcing turnovers in key situations, and just making big play after big play.

But this team has a way to go. Their offense wasn't too impressive. (Great in the 1st half, very low key in the 2nd).

I see 8-8 as a best case scenario.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
9/21/2004  8:43 AM
i would be happy if they won 7 games...anything more would be a bonus...i just don't want them to finish near the bottom cuz they gave up their 1st round pick next year in the Manning trade...at least if they can build towards a more promising year next year, i'll be happy.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
UKDad
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #31
USA
9/29/2004  9:48 AM
After last weeks game, are there any predictions for playoffs? Now they are 2-1 and going on the road. Might be interesting if Farve isn't able to play. My prediction would be a run at the post season. Unfortunately, they have the Eagles in their division.
The Old Man of UK...
TMS
USA
9/29/2004  10:12 AM
if they can beat the Packers at Lambeau this weekend, then i'll might start thinking possible Wild Card aspirations if everything falls in place...but i'm still holding onto my 7 game goal, which i definitely see them reaching this year the way they've looked in weeks 2 & 3 so far.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
9/29/2004  10:29 AM
the offense all comes down to the oline. I have seen nothing from Warner that Kerry couldnt do. When he's got time to throw he connects. He's also been sacked for holding the ball too long, and fumbled a couple times including on the goal line in a critcal drive. The defense isnt stopping anyone but they have been able to make plays, like actually get a sack on 3rd down when it counts, or a fumble or interception to kill a drive.

One thing is clear w/ the emergence of Tim Carter the recieving core of Shockey/Barber/Toomer/Ike/Carter is about as solid as it gets. Any of these guys can really beat you so if the Giants can find ways to score in the red zone they can certainly put points up on the board.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
TMS
USA
9/29/2004  10:33 AM
i'm actually pretty pleased w/how Kurt Warner has played up to this point...he hasn't thrown an INT yet, which is a huge reason why the Giants haven't been beating themselves this season like they were last year...Tiki hasn't fumbled the ball either, which is another huge improvement over last year...i think Tom Coughlin's new approach has gotten these guys to focus more on the little things, & we are seeing better results & alot less sloppy play.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
9/29/2004  10:35 AM
an article in yesterday's paper says the team believes in coughlin.

come back to me when the team is 6-9 and talk about the potential then and see how the players feel about him. the giants are a middle of the pack 8-8, 8-7, 7-9 team. shockey is ALL HYPE. this guy should be much better than he is, considering he's dropped at least 5 td's the past year. you might as well have kyle brady in there. warner is not washed up...yet but i think eli still has to get the nod to see what you have. i mean seriously, why not throw him out there?

i'm a redskins fan and i HATE HATE HATE brunell and ramsey. portis is awesome and the receiving core is not as good as advertised. i'm banking the whole season on gibbs. i'm looking at a 9-7, possibly 10-6 at best.
TMS
USA
9/29/2004  10:51 AM
right now, the Giants are a better team than your Redskins...the game they played in week 2 should have proved that much to you...if you think your team is capable of a 10-6 record, then i don't see how you can assume that the Giants are at best a middle of the pack team at 7-8 wins.

& as for Shockey, don't even go there because the Redskins would kill to have him on their team.
fishmike
USA
9/29/2004  11:55 AM
Shockey needs to be more focused during games... too many drops. That being said he's oozing w/ talent and toughness and isnt a me first player.
UKDad
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #31
USA
10/3/2004  6:41 PM
OK Guys - 14-7 win At Lambeau Field. WOW...
Gints doing well... Maybe all the way... 3-1 Record not bad for now. All we can do is hope that they keep the focus.
The Old Man of UK...
TMS
USA
10/3/2004  6:55 PM
Giants won despite 3 missed FG's by Christie...very impressive to say the least...Tiki went off for 180+ rushing yards, & Kurt Warner was efficient as hell all day long...aside from that 1 INT in the endzone, the Giants really showed what they were made of today...they dominated the ball & controlled the clock...this win goes to the O-Line, which has exceeded EVERYONE'S expectations this year as far as how quickly they have gelled...now i can start thinking about possible playoff aspirations, but there's still a LONG way to go in the season...1 thing that sets this team apart from last year's squad is that they don't beat themselves w/costly mistakes, T/O's & mental errors...looks like Coughlin's disciplined approach is reaping benefits already.

GO BLUE!
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
10/3/2004  7:36 PM
Big Blue's offense was good today, but just gut wrenching to watch inside the 20. Hopefully Warner waits the exta half yard before he slides next time.
Tiki is the man! Christie isn't.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
10/3/2004  8:27 PM
i hope they have a new kicker next week
TMS
USA
10/3/2004  9:13 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

i hope they have a new kicker next week

almost makes me miss Matt Bryant
fishmike
USA
10/3/2004  10:27 PM
I thought we should have done better against their D which was SO depleted from injuries. We did miss 3 FGs and had a pick in the end zone, but still... you want to see points. Oline continues to impress, but most of all the defense is blowing me away. The Wills are playing like people had hoped they would for 3 years. The guys around Strahan are making the pressure he creates stand up, and the line backers are tackling. I have to say the D has impressed me... especially against a great NFL offense. you can talk about Brett getting knocked out, but we shut them out in the first half.

Tiki didnt suprise me... anyone that didnt think he can give you that kind of game hasnt been watching him for the last 5 years. The guy is a big sweetheart with a pretty face that plays like pit bull... no wonder TC loves him now. All he does is what you ask him, and then some.

So far I think we have gotten some breaks. If we can get a win in Dallas no matter how it comes, there can be no question... big blue is back. One more week and I'm on the bandwagon
TMS
USA
10/4/2004  11:31 AM
The Leading Rusher in the NFL is TIKI BARBER!
after 4 games he has 455 yards (113.8 ypg average) which leads the NFL

he also has the longest run from scrimmage (72 yard run) & the best yards-per-carry figure at 6.2 out of all the RB's in the league that have at least 35 carries.

his 3 rushing TD's is 3rd highest in the NFL behind 5 others who are tied at second w/4 & behind Warrick Dunn who leads the NFL w/5.

but the most eye catching stat for Tiki is the "0" underneath the Fumbles category...that's a huge switch from last year...& a big part of the reason the Giants are at 3-1 right now...they can now play ball control, smart & efficient offensive style football & control the time of possession, & their defense stays fresh & can make plays going down the stretch of games...that's how the Giants of the late '80s & early '90s used to win ballgames...it's no wonder that Tom Coughlin was tutored under Bill Parcells.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
10/4/2004  12:29 PM
I'm not surprised that Tiki is getting the yardage, but the 0 fumbles is what we have been dreaming. How did he learn to fix that problem?

But what I am surprised about is how consistently awesome Tiki has been. I mean, sometimes, he'll give you 120, and then 75-80, which is still good. But he's getting well over 100 in each of the games.

We definitely squandered a lot of opportunities, but either way, we got the win, and a win is a win, and a win is extra special if you get it in a place like Green Bay, no matter how much Brett played.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
TMS
USA
10/4/2004  2:20 PM
alot has to do w/the play of the O-Line...Tiki is having huge holes opened up for him to run through...you can see it every game...obviously, Tiki's vision & cutback ability also factors in equally as much...the Giant running attack looks better than i've seen it in years.

about his lack of fumbling, Coach Coughlin had Tiki carry the ball differently all throughout training camp, which Tiki now attributes to his improvement in holding on to the ball...instead of carrying the ball horizontal to the ground at the side of his body, he now carries the ball at a 45 degree angle against the front of his body...this is making it harder for opposing players to get a hold of the ball trying to strip it, & he can protect the ball alot better...i heard Tiki explain all that on the radio recently.

[Edited by - TMS on 10/04/2004 14:25:25]
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
10/4/2004  3:04 PM
I think the oline played solid that game but not great. There is still ALOT of room for improvement but they are all young so thats the best part. They comitted some very hurtfull penalties and there were times when they stopped and watch instead of finding someone to block. And got push around at times.

The D line has been just as big a suprise as well as the O line. They hustle and they tackle.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
OT: Giants offense/defense

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy