[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knox leading by example AKA MELO
Author Thread
Cartman718
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1694

1/14/2019  9:27 PM
CrushAlot wrote:Twenty four assists yesterday with Tim and Kanter out.

and Burke out. I love how people are just ignoring that stat. Kornet had 5 assists for god's sake, how is that possible if our guards weren't cutting and running around screens or to open spots?

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
AUTOADVERT
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
1/14/2019  9:32 PM
Cartman718 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:Twenty four assists yesterday with Tim and Kanter out.

and Burke out. I love how people are just ignoring that stat. Kornet had 5 assists for god's sake, how is that possible if our guards weren't cutting and running around screens or to open spots?

I watched half of the game over today. You are absolutely right.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/15/2019  9:58 AM
Vmart wrote:
Nalod wrote:Klay plays with three other allstars. Two are going to the HOF. Klay might also.
If your trying to provide contrast to prove a point its kind of shot sighted.
Knox at age 19 is halfway thru his rookie campaign and plays with timmy, Mudiay, Vonleh and Enes/Kornet. Great comparison.
I either think Im smarter than the collective coaching staff of the knicks or as a fan try to understand what is going on. I tend to think the lack of talent and pending roster changes lend itself to not playing a disciplined system. It complicates the game and young players frustrate easy, especially those on very short term deals. This is what coaches do sometimes. They dumb it down. Its not pretty and I think Fiz did try to install something but it did not work.
So I either believe in the Knick coaches or Rainman.

The point he is making is there are 4 all stars and they run a system. Knicks have none and they are running no system.

As do most teams. Fisher ran a system too and failed miserably. So did Horny. Then they moved away from what does not work. Lack of talent and core that does not synch will be miserable. How many times did we try with Melo? He rejected MDA and Fish. WE ran this iso shyt with Woodson and it worked with that group.
THis season is like an audition of sorts. ALso you have: Voneh, Dot, Mudiay, Frank, Knox, Mitchell and Trier who are trying to acclimate to the NBA their skill set. Try to put a system on top of that and this kids will be a mess.

I agree that lack of a system is bad. But its assumed we know this and Fiz doesn't?
Klay Thompson, and that GSW team are core that has been together now a number of years. They won 73 games THEN bought in Durant!!! 4 allstars and one is a star defensive player. Yes they play a system.

My hope is going forward we do have "knicks type basketball!". Lineup changes and this group is not a group in synch. Not even close.

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

1/15/2019  10:04 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/15/2019  10:15 AM
Nalod wrote:
Vmart wrote:
Nalod wrote:Klay plays with three other allstars. Two are going to the HOF. Klay might also.
Knox at age 19 is halfway thru his rookie campaign and plays with timmy, Mudiay, Vonleh and Enes/Kornet. Great comparison.
I either think Im smarter than the collective coaching staff of the knicks or as a fan try to understand what is going on. I tend to think the lack of talent and pending roster changes lend itself to not playing a disciplined system. It complicates the game and young players frustrate easy, especially those on very short term deals. This is what coaches do sometimes. They dumb it down. Its not pretty and I think Fiz did try to install something but it did not work.

The point he is making is there are 4 all stars and they run a system. Knicks have none and they are running no system.

As do most teams. Fisher ran a system too and failed miserably. So did Horny. Then they moved away from what does not work. Lack of talent and core that does not synch will be miserable. How many times did we try with Melo? He rejected MDA and Fish. WE ran this iso shyt with Woodson and it worked with that group.
THis season is like an audition of sorts. ALso you have: Voneh, Dot, Mudiay, Frank, Knox, Mitchell and Trier who are trying to acclimate to the NBA their skill set. Try to put a system on top of that and this kids will be a mess.

I agree that lack of a system is bad. But its assumed we know this and Fiz doesn't?
Klay Thompson, and that GSW team are core that has been together now a number of years. They won 73 games THEN bought in Durant!!! 4 allstars and one is a star defensive player. Yes they play a system.

My hope is going forward we do have "knicks type basketball!". Lineup changes and this group is not a group in synch. Not even close.

I would argue the opposite. Being miserable is not an excuse for moving away from the system. I mean look at the results without one. They are equally miserable. The system doesn't take the results worse, lack of talent does. That's not really a reason to give up on a system, on the contrary a system if properly executed can make mediocre talent perform at a higher level -- see the Spurs.

Also think about it this way. Klay and the GSW core also went through periods of miserable results, by their standards before they became what they are. But they didn't give up on system basketball and switch to the hero ball beloved by our resident trolls.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
1/15/2019  10:57 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/15/2019  10:58 AM
meloshouldgo wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Vmart wrote:

I would argue the opposite. Being miserable is not an excuse for moving away from the system. I mean look at the results without one. They are equally miserable. The system doesn't take the results worse, lack of talent does. That's not really a reason to give up on a system, on the contrary a system if properly executed can make mediocre talent perform at a higher level -- see the Spurs.

Also think about it this way. Klay and the GSW core also went through periods of miserable results, by their standards before they became what they are. But they didn't give up on system basketball and switch to the hero ball beloved by our resident trolls.

System cannot be established and run without peaces that can execute it.
We hardly have 5 players who are capable to play in system bbal of NBA level.
And even this 5 are young and still learning.
I clearly see coaching group trying to run the system but with no players capable it just didn't work very often.
When we will hopefully have set rotation of at least 8-9 players who can execute we will be able to judge the coaching stuff.
I cannot see it this or next season and very possible another one.
We will have other setbacks and mistakes down the road so I am reserving my judgments on the system until 2020/21 season.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
Nalod
USA
1/15/2019  1:08 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/15/2019  1:09 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Vmart wrote:

Mostly I agree with you and the concept. GSW did have to go thru the misery to break out. We talk about them but no other teams who did not.
What Im trying to get at is not what I prefer but what I think is going on. Fiz might be prioritizing individual play over team for now. Get guys to play at this level then mold them into a team. If they don't succeed at some individual play they won't as a team. Knox has to know and Feel what he can and cannot do before he is instinctively involved in ball movement, without the ball, etc. Trier has to be confident he can shake and bake first at this level. Frank need not work on his passing, but penetration and scoring. Just a theory. We have seen coaches dumb it down especially on defense. Why not offense too? A guy like Pop, even without a championship core still has a number of his system guys to play the game he wants. We have big roster turnover and will again.
At least we don't have blowout after blowout. Emphasize: "For now".

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
1/15/2019  3:12 PM
Nalod wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Vmart wrote:

Mostly I agree with you and the concept. GSW did have to go thru the misery to break out. We talk about them but no other teams who did not.
What Im trying to get at is not what I prefer but what I think is going on. Fiz might be prioritizing individual play over team for now. Get guys to play at this level then mold them into a team. If they don't succeed at some individual play they won't as a team. Knox has to know and Feel what he can and cannot do before he is instinctively involved in ball movement, without the ball, etc. Trier has to be confident he can shake and bake first at this level. Frank need not work on his passing, but penetration and scoring. Just a theory. We have seen coaches dumb it down especially on defense. Why not offense too? A guy like Pop, even without a championship core still has a number of his system guys to play the game he wants. We have big roster turnover and will again.

LMAO..

so trey and donic have to get a feel for what they can do before they move the ball...

What a load crappy excuses

ES
Cartman718
Member: #1694

1/15/2019  3:48 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Nalod wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Vmart wrote:

LMAO..

so trey and donic have to get a feel for what they can do before they move the ball...

So first of all Doncic and Trae are both Point Forward/Guards for their teams. Doncic is amazing and has made some serious shots this season and makes the right decision with the ball. If we had the opportunity to pick him, I'd have been very happy, but we didn't. Trae was picked 5th. They have the ball in their hands most of the time coming up the floor.
So what's the point of comparing Knox to them?

Who is a small forward, not a primary ball handler and ball mover from this draft who was drafted AFTER Knox that you think he should be keeping pace with?

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
knicks1248
1/15/2019  4:35 PM
Cartman718 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Nalod wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Vmart wrote:

LMAO..

So first of all Doncic and Trae are both Point Forward/Guards for their teams. Doncic is amazing and has made some serious shots this season and makes the right decision with the ball. If we had the opportunity to pick him, I'd have been very happy, but we didn't. Trae was picked 5th. They have the ball in their hands most of the time coming up the floor.

Who is a small forward, not a primary ball handler and ball mover from this draft who was drafted AFTER Knox that you think he should be keeping pace with?

this isn't a case of him not knowing how to pass, this is a case were he is instructed not to worry about passing, same thing for THJ, don't you listen to fiz.

He has instructed his guys to get rebounds and take off, don,t worry about looking for a pg to bring it up, just go, and you see it from Noah, mario, knox, ect...that is his idea of positionless basketball.

Its cool to do that when you have labron, wade, bosh, ray allen, or a roster full of high IQ vets, it's absolutely ridiculous when you have a bunch of low IQ players with no experience, who don't know how to play defense

ES
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

1/15/2019  4:44 PM
Cartman718 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Nalod wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Vmart wrote:

LMAO..

RAINMAN has no point.....at least not a logical one
Nalod
USA
1/15/2019  4:59 PM
LMAO..

Not excuses. From what I see Knox is getting to be a better scorer in the last 20 games. That's progress. He is not passing. True. Nobody passes except Frank and Rainman hates Frank.
But even Frank is not passing as much anymore!!
Why "Rainman"? Nonsensical redundant responses. Always the same with you, find a distant contrast to make a point. WTF does Trae young or Donic have to do with Knox? Rookies? Donic was far polished as a player and Young is a ball dominant guard.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
1/15/2019  5:35 PM
Cartman718 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Nalod wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Vmart wrote:

LMAO..

Knox’s role is to score not distribute. He isn’t blocking shots like Bamba either. I did see someone suggest that he play the point this summer for the summer league team like Giannis did for KIDD. Not sure if that is necessary but it is an option.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Ira
Member: #91
1/15/2019  7:01 PM
Knox has the lowest +/- among small forwards in the NBA.
Kemet
Member: #6148

1/15/2019  7:49 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Nalod wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Vmart wrote:

LMAO..

this isn't a case of him not knowing how to pass, this is a case were he is instructed not to worry about passing, same thing for THJ, don't you listen to fiz.

He has instructed his guys to get rebounds and take off, don,t worry about looking for a pg to bring it up, just go, and you see it from Noah, mario, knox, ect...that is his idea of positionless basketball.

Its cool to do that when you have labron, wade, bosh, ray allen, or a roster full of high IQ vets, it's absolutely ridiculous when you have a bunch of low IQ players with no experience, who don't know how to play defense

So True .. Watching the Knicks performance the past 43 games one would believe Fizdale does not have distributing the ball as a 1 or 2 option within the Knicks coaching-system, especially in transition.
And yes! That's bad team coaching toward rookies Trier/Knox/Mitch, and the Knicks 2nd & 3rd season players. It's not as if the Knick players are playing iso-offense because they has been putting all their energy in making team defensive-stops.
Fizdale's offensive scheme (Iso) in the past 43 games has not been developing players into team-players.
And Fizdale's defensive strategy has been pitiful in the past 43 games allowing Knick opponents 116 points compared to the Knicks 107 pts .. our 2nd half defense has to be the worst in the league.

Nalod
USA
1/15/2019  10:36 PM
All the advance stats I need to know is:

10-33.

That tells me many of our players will have shyt stats. Also, Timmy is our best player right now.
HEre is the prestige moment: "Until we win more I expect our players to not look good. If that continues, so will the coach!!"
Huh, how's that for some obvious freaking genius Capitan Obvious stuff for you!!!!
Our team in 43 tries has been outscored!!!
The other team 75% of the time at the end of 48 minutes has outscored us!!! I did some real number crunching on that one!

Sangfroid
Member: #2784

1/16/2019  1:54 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:Knox is the perfect example of a a team that is developing bad habits at an alarming rate,

In the last 6 games 80 shot attempts and just 5 assist..Today he played 44 minutes and didn't collect 1 assist.(he scored 31 points in a lost AKA melo)

This wasn't a case of his passing the ball and guys were missing shots (that happen once) this is straight tunnel vision.

I can't entirely blame knox either when your coach instructs you to be aggressive and look to score whenever you get the rock.

This is the kind of low IQ developing that's going on here. I never see him set screens for his teammates, in fact, he's not really engaged if the ball isn't coming to him, he gets rebounds and flies down court for a one on one every time.

the whole team has the same mind frame and this is one of the worst habits to pick up has a young player. Your not going to win that way, like ever, that's selfish hero basketball.

KLAY THOMAS SCORED 43 POINTS AND TOOK 4 FCKNG DRIBBLES THE ENTIRE GAME..there was a screen for him EVERYWHERE, from everyone,.. it was beautiful basketball...and on the other end of the court it was all one on one ISO's, quick "first open shot available" bricks..

How can you say FIZ is doing a good job when this type of play is pretty damn routine

Porzingis and Knox are black holes, better draft someone that can pass the ball

Wr did, but we would rather play Mudiay

the team isn't selfish, they all pass the ball, but the passes lead to ISO's, franks passes don't lead to easy buckets, they lead to a guys taking a tough one on one shots. The entire team does this..

There are times you shouldn't be passing, and this team has a hard time distinguishing that

The pass doesn't lead to the ISO, rather the player receiving the pass goes ISO. Whether it's Mud holding the ball too long, or the player (THJ, Burke, Knox, Mud) feeling they have the "green light". Mario and Frank readily give up the ball. The question is, will they see it again during those 24 seconds.

"We are playing a game. We are playing at not playing a game..."
Sangfroid
Member: #2784

1/16/2019  2:00 AM
Cartman718 wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:Knox is the perfect example of a a team that is developing bad habits at an alarming rate,

In the last 6 games 80 shot attempts and just 5 assist..Today he played 44 minutes and didn't collect 1 assist.(he scored 31 points in a lost AKA melo)

This wasn't a case of his passing the ball and guys were missing shots (that happen once) this is straight tunnel vision.

I can't entirely blame knox either when your coach instructs you to be aggressive and look to score whenever you get the rock.

This is the kind of low IQ developing that's going on here. I never see him set screens for his teammates, in fact, he's not really engaged if the ball isn't coming to him, he gets rebounds and flies down court for a one on one every time.

the whole team has the same mind frame and this is one of the worst habits to pick up has a young player. Your not going to win that way, like ever, that's selfish hero basketball.

KLAY THOMAS SCORED 43 POINTS AND TOOK 4 FCKNG DRIBBLES THE ENTIRE GAME..there was a screen for him EVERYWHERE, from everyone,.. it was beautiful basketball...and on the other end of the court it was all one on one ISO's, quick "first open shot available" bricks..

How can you say FIZ is doing a good job when this type of play is pretty damn routine

Frank could very well become the PG we want and today's game was an encouraging sign, but if we cannot ship out THJr...its all moot. Porzingis and Knox, yes definitely very few assists, would I rather have them shoot than THJr, absolutely. Knox is yet to fill out his frame and KP himself is getting stronger, I think the assists will come for both as they get told by coaching staff to pass out of double teams. Knox is very fast on the floor and typically leading the pack when he's going one on one...he doesn't have anyone to pass to. I do wish he would do a turn around and pass to someone on the arc.

THJr is the player who he is...I don't expect improvements. He's like a poor man's Eric Gordon, I'd rather have Gordon.

Coming back to Knox, he is inconsistent on the passing, but he definitely has the confidence to score. Last year, KP always had a consistent scorer next to him in Kanter, who's going to take up the scoring next year. Assuming we are able to get rid of THJr and Kanter is obviously gone, Knox will be able to help.

The ball-sharing...maybe a focal point of feedback during exit interview from coach and FO.

"the whole team has the same mind frame and this is one of the worst habits to pick up has a young player. Your not going to win that way, like ever, that's selfish hero basketball."

We had 24 assists with no Burke, no THJr, no Kanter in the game. If we play like this, I am ok with whatever losses we get. Your declaration about whole team having the same mind frame is completely wrong. Did you even watch the game?

I don’t expect Timmy to be much better but as I have said before I expect the knicks to be and if he is the 3rd or 4th option his efficiency should improve. Timmy is the best player on this team right now. That’s not saying much. He is not paid like a star either. Let’s not pretend he is preventing this team from being better. He makes 18mm, top FA’s will command 32mm.

Timmy's a ball hog always trying to get his own shot off so yes he is preventing this team from being better. If Knicks1248 is right about one thing its how beautiful it is when Klay can shoot 43 points by taking only 4 dribbles, we only wish THJr could perform like that. And No, Timmy is NOT the best player on the team right now. At present, I would pick between Vonleh and Knox honestly. I would even pick Dotson ahead of THJr.

The problem is that Timmy takes those 3 point bombs like he's a star, and Fiz has not taken him to the woodshed for them. At least bench his ass when he's out of control.

"We are playing a game. We are playing at not playing a game..."
knicks1248
1/16/2019  8:53 AM
It's funny how the same people who were bitching about melo and amre, and mudiay, and THJ, have excuses for Knox.

The thing about fiz is that, he has no track record to look back on to even know wtf is his system, because this looks nothing LIKE a Riley or Spoelstra system or way of thinking

ES
knicks1248
1/16/2019  9:10 AM
Cartman718 wrote:

Frank could very well become the PG we want and today's game was an encouraging sign, but if we cannot ship out THJr...its all moot. Porzingis and Knox, yes definitely very few assists, would I rather have them shoot than THJr, absolutely. Knox is yet to fill out his frame and KP himself is getting stronger, I think the assists will come for both as they get told by coaching staff to pass out of double teams. Knox is very fast on the floor and typically leading the pack when he's going one on one...he doesn't have anyone to pass to. I do wish he would do a turn around and pass to someone on the arc.

THJr is the player who he is...I don't expect improvements. He's like a poor man's Eric Gordon, I'd rather have Gordon.

Coming back to Knox, he is inconsistent on the passing, but he definitely has the confidence to score. Last year, KP always had a consistent scorer next to him in Kanter, who's going to take up the scoring next year. Assuming we are able to get rid of THJr and Kanter is obviously gone, Knox will be able to help.

The ball-sharing...maybe a focal point of feedback during exit interview from coach and FO.

"the whole team has the same mind frame and this is one of the worst habits to pick up has a young player. Your not going to win that way, like ever, that's selfish hero basketball."

We had 24 assists with no Burke, no THJr, no Kanter in the game. If we play like this, I am ok with whatever losses we get. Your declaration about whole team having the same mind frame is completely wrong. Did you even watch the game?

dude you sound like such a homer, like no one else has chance to get better except frank and knox..2 players who lead the league in being a minus on the floor..400+ players

how many times are you going to keep talking about "if frank can become pg" at the rate he's developing, that maybe 4 yrs from now most likely on another team.

you act like we should not worry about anyone other than kp frank, and knox, one who's too passive, one who is injury prone, and one who never passes the ball. so when knox fills out his frame that's going to make him pass more...smh.

ES
knicks1248
1/16/2019  9:23 AM
Cartman718 wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:

I don’t expect Timmy to be much better but as I have said before I expect the knicks to be and if he is the 3rd or 4th option his efficiency should improve. Timmy is the best player on this team right now. That’s not saying much. He is not paid like a star either. Let’s not pretend he is preventing this team from being better. He makes 18mm, top FA’s will command 32mm.

Timmy's a ball hog always trying to get his own shot off so yes he is preventing this team from being better. If Knicks1248 is right about one thing its how beautiful it is when Klay can shoot 43 points by taking only 4 dribbles, we only wish THJr could perform like that. And No, Timmy is NOT the best player on the team right now. At present, I would pick between Vonleh and Knox honestly. I would even pick Dotson ahead of THJr.

but who is setting screens for the guy whos shooting..

Curry comes down the court, gets to the 3 point arc, fakes a 3 point attempt, passes to a wide open klay, (he's defender closes out so the look isn't that great anymore)) after he passes he keeps moving all the way to the base line behind the arc, on they way to the spot, his teammate gives currys defender a slight screen, klay swings the ball back to curry for a base line 3.

All that happen in 6 seconds...

All we do his pass the ball, and try to beat the defender off the dribble

ES
Knox leading by example AKA MELO

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy