Frank no longer defending pick and roll at an elite level
Author Thread
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
1/14/2019  4:01 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:I wonder how much of this data is the the PnR situation involves Kanter.
what you really mean is, HOW CAN YOU SHIFT THE BLAME TO OTHER PLAYERS as the reason for his suspect play.

The truth of the matter is, these players don't fit with each other, they don't complement each other on either end, so they essentially make each other worse on both ends

I am not smart enough to do that. I honestly believe that that particular stat is very misleading. PnR play is the epitome of team defense. You are only as good as your weakest link.
AUTOADVERT
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
1/14/2019  4:02 PM
martin wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:I wonder how much of this data is the the PnR situation involves Kanter.
Yes. PnR involves 2 different players from each team, I was thinking the big involved is not KP any more.
Absolutely.
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

1/14/2019  4:09 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

what you really mean is, HOW CAN YOU SHIFT THE BLAME TO OTHER PLAYERS as the reason for his suspect play.

The truth of the matter is, these players don't fit with each other, they don't complement each other on either end, so they essentially make each other worse on both ends

Naw, I remember seeing somewhere that our best defensive lineups have Frank and Dotson in them. No doubt, Frank's been sub-par, but there's more than meets the eye with this. Could it be Kanter's clueless positioning? A young Mitchell's inexperience? A mixture of both everything? Who knows? At least coach is settling on line-ups. One step at a time, I guess.

being best defensive line up, but the worst offensive line up, doesn't solve the problem now does it?

Naw, it's a balance. I was referring to the pick and roll numbers. Look, I've been driven crazy by Fizdale's rotations. He's the coach and I respect his decisions, for whatever that's worth. Doesn't mean I agree with them, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt- for now. At the end of the day, it's up to coach to move us in the right direction. I was cool with the Enes benching, because I want to see the youth play and develop. But then he starts Lance Thomas? I'm hoping there's a method to the madness.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
1/14/2019  5:57 PM
martin wrote:

Yes. PnR involves 2 different players from each team, I was thinking the big involved is not KP any more.

Posted this early in the thread. KP was ranked 19th in terms of a big defending the pick and roll. Vonleh is the highest ranked Knick big at 92nd this year.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Kemet
Member: #6148

1/14/2019  6:05 PM
Nalod wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Vmart wrote:
PresIke wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

I think it's been quite noticeable.

Funny as some still say he's an "elite defender" but he also gets beat off the dribble quite a bit.

I hope its a confidence thing as it's quite an interesting drop off.

Frank is a good defender. He is more a victim of Knicks being tragic. Horny was simply a better coach than Fizdale. Your comparing an actual NBA player turned coach to the shyt show Fizdale is. All the young Knicks are doing is learning bad habits. He can blame free agency or ropa dope some fans but truth is he sucks at coaching.

Pretty soon these young players are going to forget that past systems that brought them to the NBA. Knox will forget Calapari teachings. Frank will lose his team play taught in Euro league and so in and so forth.

To point out Frank when every single Knicks player sucks azz is ridiculous to me. This team isn’t learning anything but how to suck. No system, know nothings that is what Fizz is creating.

I'm starting to sour on Fiz, the more this team plays, the worse they look, there is just no direction on the floor. I can't bare to watch for more than a few minutes. It's the most selfish, clueless, defenseless, leadershipless, pointless piece of sht play i ever seen.

YOU CAN HIRE any joe blow to coach a tank, or any joe blow GM/prez to buyout or waive players/assets.

10 wins. You don' have to watch to know.
The proof will be what happens in the ensuing seasons. No guarantees but if your fixated on present then thats your choice.

So true .. so true .. so true !!!
10 wins 33 losses .. there's no type of formation in any of Fizdale's lineups to keep me a wake to watch a 48 minute Knicks game. For those who have understanding of what Fizdale are doing has been keeping it to themselves.
Fizdale's offense has not paired up two players to be a scoring option in a lineup ..
Fizdale's defense has been awful all season, unable to stop inside/outside scoring, plus unable to pair teammates to commit to defending the Pick n roll.
An inexperience coach like Fizdale need a veteran coaching staff and few veteran-players on the roster to guide the Knicks young-core players into performing a basic offense/defense system the team could rely on to develop a creative system that works best for all the players that get on the same-page.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/14/2019  7:26 PM
We know better.
Chandler
Member: #6197

1/14/2019  10:48 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Vmart wrote:
PresIke wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Funny as some still say he's an "elite defender" but he also gets beat off the dribble quite a bit.

Frank is a good defender. He is more a victim of Knicks being tragic. Horny was simply a better coach than Fizdale. Your comparing an actual NBA player turned coach to the shyt show Fizdale is. All the young Knicks are doing is learning bad habits. He can blame free agency or ropa dope some fans but truth is he sucks at coaching.

Pretty soon these young players are going to forget that past systems that brought them to the NBA. Knox will forget Calapari teachings. Frank will lose his team play taught in Euro league and so in and so forth.

To point out Frank when every single Knicks player sucks azz is ridiculous to me. This team isn’t learning anything but how to suck. No system, know nothings that is what Fizz is creating.

If you follow the two guys that created filmschool you would know that they are huge Frank fans. I am having some technology issues and tweets are hard for me to post. The follow up tweet talks about Frank's rating when he was playing at least part of the time with KP and the difference playing with an elite defensive big makes. Fiz is very respected around the league as a coach and developmental guy. He wasn't the guy Phil hired so that might burn a bit but I think he was the right hire.

Losing sucks but What’s worse is that we are not doing anything well

Our defense is worse than Horny’s. It’s historically bad by some articles

Our passing is just as bad

We have no identity other than being hungry.

When is coach and FO accountable for this dumpster fire

(5)(5)
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
1/15/2019  1:31 AM
Chandler wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
Vmart wrote:
PresIke wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

If you follow the two guys that created filmschool you would know that they are huge Frank fans. I am having some technology issues and tweets are hard for me to post. The follow up tweet talks about Frank's rating when he was playing at least part of the time with KP and the difference playing with an elite defensive big makes. Fiz is very respected around the league as a coach and developmental guy. He wasn't the guy Phil hired so that might burn a bit but I think he was the right hire.

In 2-3 years they will be... so you need to wait.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
1/15/2019  8:30 AM
arkrud wrote:
Chandler wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
Vmart wrote:
PresIke wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

People get fired after 67 loses

ES
Nalod
USA
1/15/2019  9:48 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/15/2019  9:50 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
arkrud wrote:
Chandler wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
Vmart wrote:
PresIke wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

On teams expected to have done better.
On teams that tune out the coach. On teams that the coach lost his team.
On teams that have veteran talent/contracts and a coach who is not relating.
On teams that decide to change directions. On teams that clean house.
On teams if Rainman was in charge.

knicks1248
1/15/2019  10:47 AM
Nalod wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
arkrud wrote:
Chandler wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
Vmart wrote:
PresIke wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

You'll see

coming from a person who said it wouldn't happen to phil, woodson, fisher, JH..

I tell you these things 6 months ahead of time, and you always doubt me..and it always happens like 100% OF THE TIME..

90% of this roster will be gone in less than 7 months..

ES
Nalod
USA
1/15/2019  11:03 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/15/2019  11:06 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
Nalod wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
arkrud wrote:
Chandler wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
Vmart wrote:
PresIke wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

You'll see

coming from a person who said it wouldn't happen to phil, woodson, fisher, JH..

I tell you these things 6 months ahead of time, and you always doubt me..and it always happens like 100% OF THE TIME..

90% of this roster will be gone in less than 7 months..

Difference between us is I don't care if Im "right" or not all the time. I don't know why that's important to you. Does it bring you wealth, happiness or respect? I simply want this team to improve and seek to understand what is not obvious.
Im a fan and ok with being disappointed. I don't mask this with "see, I was right,, Huh? Who told you first". Who cares if your right? Who holds you accountable? Your not wise, your "that guy".

arkrud
USA
1/15/2019  11:07 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/15/2019  11:07 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
arkrud wrote:
Chandler wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
Vmart wrote:
PresIke wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Of course this was the case sometimes and it was not the case many more times.
Loses count is only relevant to clueless casual fans not to NBA professionals.
Live in not casino slot machine. It is way more complicated.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
Chandler

1/15/2019  11:13 AM
there are at least four possibilities:

1) it's the other guy at fault (e.g., Enes over KP)
2) Frank has truly gotten worse
3) Coaching is at fault and playing PnR differently
4) Frank is now guarding different players (e.g., bigger players where his length is mitigated)

I suspect everyone's bias (on whether Frank was a bad pick or whether Fizz is all talk) will affect their choices (in other news I read Dallas is shopping DSJ)

(5)(5)
Nalod
USA
1/15/2019  11:26 AM
Chandler wrote:there are at least four possibilities:

4) Frank is now guarding different players (e.g., bigger players where his length is mitigated)

I suspect everyone's bias (on whether Frank was a bad pick or whether Fizz is all talk) will affect their choices (in other news I read Dallas is shopping DSJ)

How to defend the PNR is a team process. I might surmise we defend it differently?
As for Frank, he is going to the rim. We have seen he can hit the 3pt shot but he won't be respected unless he can penetrate. He'll get better looks and make better passes if he is respected.
Remember when Mudiay was getting his shots blocked like crazy earlier in the year? That's coach telling him to keep at it. Mudiay is doing better.
What your seeing is a process that effort and attempts come before absolute results. Welcome to rebuilding. It sucks.

knicks1248
1/15/2019  11:50 AM
arkrud wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
arkrud wrote:
Chandler wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
Vmart wrote:
PresIke wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

so you continue on with things when you don't see progress...

You see the wins happen when there's progress, good habits develop..

What good habits have you seen from this team that you like, you like the offense, you like the defense, you like the how much better the players are getting, the team ball they play, are you in love with all the iso ball.

the FO can hang there hat on the fact that they didn't trade 1st round picks by losing 140 games and shattering the confidence of there young squad

ES
Chandler

1/15/2019  12:07 PM
Nalod wrote:
Chandler wrote:there are at least four possibilities:

How to defend the PNR is a team process. I might surmise we defend it differently?
As for Frank, he is going to the rim. We have seen he can hit the 3pt shot but he won't be respected unless he can penetrate. He'll get better looks and make better passes if he is respected.
Remember when Mudiay was getting his shots blocked like crazy earlier in the year? That's coach telling him to keep at it. Mudiay is doing better.
What your seeing is a process that effort and attempts come before absolute results. Welcome to rebuilding. It sucks.

not sure i'm following how this is related to Frank's apparent regression. Either he's getting worse, or the team's approach is getting worse, or this is a consequence of guarding longer SFs and SGs where his massive reach is not as effective as when he was guarding relatively puny pgs

(5)(5)
arkrud
USA
1/15/2019  12:55 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/15/2019  12:57 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
arkrud wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
arkrud wrote:
Chandler wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
Vmart wrote:
PresIke wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

so you continue on with things when you don't see progress...

You see the wins happen when there's progress, good habits develop..

What good habits have you seen from this team that you like, you like the offense, you like the defense, you like the how much better the players are getting, the team ball they play, are you in love with all the iso ball.

the FO can hang there hat on the fact that they didn't trade 1st round picks by losing 140 games and shattering the confidence of there young squad

I see progress. We identified some group of players who should go (Kanter, Burke, Mario, Lee) and some who can stay (Mud, Von) or be traded as they developed some trade value.
Also we identify a group of young players who should continue to be developed(Knox, Mitch, Frank, Trier, Dot, Kornet).
We confirm that TJR is not a 1st or 2nd option and most likely 6th man.
We lost a lot of games and heading for lottery top 4.
Nothing else was possible this year so I see a very decent job done by the stuff.
Everybody should get some bonus...
Also life on Mars is not discovered yet.
I am equally concerned with this as with Knicks Wins/Loses this and next season.

Nalod
USA
1/15/2019  1:00 PM
Does good habits form from wins, or do good habits create wins?
Define "good habits"?
Playing well? Can you play well and lose a game? Does a player who was afraid to go to the rim, who now goes developing good habits? But the game is still lost?
arkrud
USA
1/15/2019  1:22 PM
Nalod wrote:Does good habits form from wins, or do good habits create wins?
Define "good habits"?
Playing well? Can you play well and lose a game? Does a player who was afraid to go to the rim, who now goes developing good habits? But the game is still lost?

Fans need to develop good habit to support their team in good times and in bad times.
NY Knicks fans notoriously erratic in this respect.

Frank no longer defending pick and roll at an elite level

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy