[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

I Think We Should Take A Chance On Markelle Fultz
Author Thread
NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

12/9/2018  1:52 PM
Why not? I think we could get him for cheap and we currently have the minutes to see if we can develop him. He might have mental issues but I think the Sixers have done him a disservice by forcing him to play to his weaknesses. He's constantly off-ball while Ben Simmons runs the show; and when Fultz does have the ball, the Sixers run the fewest amount of pick-and-rolls in the league which was his forte in college. Fultz may never realize the potential that made him a no.1 overall pick but if we put the ball in his hands, I think he can at least right his career and be a competent floor general. And if he proves that he can be a long-term piece for us, I think that he and Ntilikina could play well with each other since they are polar opposites on offense and could defend multiple positions on defense.

My offer to the Sixers would be Courtney Lee, Alonzo Trier and Noah Vonleh for Markelle Fultz and Justin Patton. The deal would give us $3 million more of cap flexibility this offseason at the very least, if Fultz does in fact turn out to be a bust. On the other hand, the Sixers get three rotational players that can space the floor and defend their positions, in exchange for $8 million in dead-money. The $3 million in cap flexibility they'd lose in the offseason seems like a modest tradeoff by comparison. Thoughts?

AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/10/2018  8:48 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/10/2018  8:49 AM
Fultz has a nerve problem and Butler. Your proposed trade does make sense given the prognosis. Even if good he will need time to get his head back on right. We have that.
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
12/10/2018  8:53 AM
I would not trade Trier and Vonleh for him. I don't have very much confidence in him, especially in a place like NY.
Cartman718
Member: #1694

12/10/2018  9:19 AM
Why do we love to draft, trade for or sign injured players or players who are a ticking time bomb..?

Joakim, Stat, Cleanthony Early (shot himself), Eddy Curry (also known as Edwina Sparkles), Flu-son Chandler, Antonio McDyess, Sweetney, Jerome James, Bargnani, list goes on.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2788967-the-10-worst-nba-trades-of-the-last-decade#slide1
and the Knicks own 2 out of top 10. Yay.

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
NardDogNation

12/10/2018  9:58 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/10/2018  10:00 AM
Knixkik wrote:I would not trade Trier and Vonleh for him. I don't have very much confidence in him, especially in a place like NY.

Why not? Trier (IMO) seems like a flash-in-the pan type ball player who the league will inevitably figure out. I also don't think he is particularly conducive to winning with as many isolations as he needs to be effective. I do like Noah on the other hand but would you seriously re-sign him when we have KP coming back and with Mitchell Robinson supposedly being an emergent player? Where would Noah get minutes if that were the case and are you really comfortable in his performance to offer him anything more than one-year?

This thought process makes me see both Trier and Vonleh as expendable since we lack cost-control on both. Wouldn't it be better to have Fultz instead, who we'd still have two years to evaluate? Who knows, maybe he overcomes his mental issues and blossoms in year 3 or 4.

NardDogNation

12/10/2018  10:12 AM
Nalod wrote:Fultz has a nerve problem and Butler. Your proposed trade does make sense given the prognosis. Even if good he will need time to get his head back on right. We have that.

I think the Fultz "nerve issue" is entirely mental but I think he'll be forced to accept the reality of his circumstances over time, which will allow the issue to be properly addressed. And with the mental health field (sports psychology) growing at the pace it is, I think those concerns can be alleviated over time. Fortunatately, we have the time for that to occur because our youth (as impressive as they are) will need 2-4 more seasons to reach their primes. There is no real downside to this type of move, especially since it saves us long-term money for the 2019 offseason and beyond. And should Fultz overcome his mental blocks, we have a guy who has a skillset that made him a consensus no.1 overall pick in a draft that was compared favorably to the 1996 and 2003 drafts that featured several generational talents.

NardDogNation

12/10/2018  10:15 AM
Cartman718 wrote:Why do we love to draft, trade for or sign injured players or players who are a ticking time bomb..?

Joakim, Stat, Cleanthony Early (shot himself), Eddy Curry (also known as Edwina Sparkles), Flu-son Chandler, Antonio McDyess, Sweetney, Jerome James, Bargnani, list goes on.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2788967-the-10-worst-nba-trades-of-the-last-decade#slide1

The acquisitions of the aforementioned players all involved the loss of valuable assets and were accompanied by steep opportunity costs. What would we really be losing in the trade I proposed, for a player that was a consensus no.1 overall pick just 18 months ago?

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
12/10/2018  10:34 AM
Unless it's only for a 2nd rounder I would not even entertain that trade.
NardDogNation

12/10/2018  11:27 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/10/2018  11:28 AM
NYKBocker wrote:Unless it's only for a 2nd rounder I would not even entertain that trade.

Why? And to be honest, as bad as we are, our 2nd rounders are more valuable than any one player involved in what I'm suggesting we do.

Chandler
Member: #6197

12/10/2018  2:03 PM
Something not right with Fultz. It happens. Professional baseball players have crap like this happen. Excellent pitchers all of a sudden can't even toss to first base -- Chuck Knoblach etc

this is going on two years.

I would not trade for him at all. Opportunity cost

For all my skepticism (a lot) about the FO, I think they scored big with both Vonleh and Trier. I would really like to see Vonleh just grab a rebound and lead the break. Trier has to return to SG

(5)(5)
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

12/10/2018  2:11 PM
NardDogNation wrote:
Nalod wrote:Fultz has a nerve problem and Butler. Your proposed trade does make sense given the prognosis. Even if good he will need time to get his head back on right. We have that.

I think the Fultz "nerve issue" is entirely mental but I think he'll be forced to accept the reality of his circumstances over time, which will allow the issue to be properly addressed. And with the mental health field (sports psychology) growing at the pace it is, I think those concerns can be alleviated over time. Fortunatately, we have the time for that to occur because our youth (as impressive as they are) will need 2-4 more seasons to reach their primes. There is no real downside to this type of move, especially since it saves us long-term money for the 2019 offseason and beyond. And should Fultz overcome his mental blocks, we have a guy who has a skillset that made him a consensus no.1 overall pick in a draft that was compared favorably to the 1996 and 2003 drafts that featured several generational talents.

There are too many variables. We could his issues are mental, but we just don't know. I would consider it if we got more $3 million in possible cap flexibility, but it's a huge gamble. You'd really need to have no expectations for him if he came.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

12/10/2018  3:19 PM
Knixkik wrote:I would not trade Trier and Vonleh for him. I don't have very much confidence in him, especially in a place like NY.

Neither would I. Both are currently en route to being rotation players, Fultz isn't. But I think the premise is that's why he is available. Can't keep giving up assets for projects.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
12/10/2018  3:28 PM
NardDogNation wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:Unless it's only for a 2nd rounder I would not even entertain that trade.
Why? And to be honest, as bad as we are, our 2nd rounders are more valuable than any one player involved in what I'm suggesting we do.
We have done well with our 2nd rounders ...yes...but that is the only gamble I would do for fultz. Trier and vonleh has shown enough for me to value them way more than fultz. I think you can get more for CLee and I would hold on.
Cartman718
Member: #1694

12/10/2018  3:43 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/10/2018  3:44 PM
NardDogNation wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:Why do we love to draft, trade for or sign injured players or players who are a ticking time bomb..?

The acquisitions of the aforementioned players all involved the loss of valuable assets and were accompanied by steep opportunity costs. What would we really be losing in the trade I proposed, for a player that was a consensus no.1 overall pick just 18 months ago?

The same was what you would lose for any trades involving Anthony Bennett, Greg Oden, Andrea Bargnani, Kwame Brown, Michael Olowokandi back in the day.

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/10/2018  3:49 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:

Neither would I. Both are currently en route to being rotation players, Fultz isn't. But I think the premise is that's why he is available. Can't keep giving up assets for projects.

Haven't kept up with Fultz but he is kinda sorta in the same position as Trier and Vonleh were last year: no one wants and he may have a TON of more upside.

And if you can get rid of Lee's contract in the process, bonus.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

12/10/2018  5:03 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/10/2018  5:03 PM
martin wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:

Haven't kept up with Fultz but he is kinda sorta in the same position as Trier and Vonleh were last year: no one wants and he may have a TON of more upside.

And if you can get rid of Lee's contract in the process, bonus.

We've whiffed enough times on guys with questionable medical histories. I could agree with you if I knew what the deal is with his shoulder. I've heard everything from motorcycle accidents to the yips. Plus, he make like $10 million a year so there is not much cap relief. They'd get my attention if they threw in Wilson Chandler's expiring, but I don't know if they'd do that.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
LegendD
Member: #8653
Latvia
12/10/2018  5:18 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/10/2018  5:20 PM
Trier has mamba mentality. Its very stupid talking about possible trade including him ... very stupid! Fultz is a 100% bust. We dont need him!
NardDogNation

12/10/2018  11:52 PM
LegendD wrote:Trier has mamba mentality. Its very stupid talking about possible trade including him ... very stupid! Fultz is a 100% bust. We dont need him!

Carmelo had the "mamba mentality" too....and I suspect you have a very different take about his contributions to winning basketball. The game has changed and dudes that get tunnel vision like Trier are not what we need.

NardDogNation

12/10/2018  11:59 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/11/2018  12:15 AM
Cartman718 wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:

The same was what you would lose for any trades involving Anthony Bennett, Greg Oden, Andrea Bargnani, Kwame Brown, Michael Olowokandi back in the day.

Really? Because aside for Bargnani and Brown, none of those guys were the centerpiece of any trade that demanded assets in return. And only the Knicks were stupid enough to give up anything of value for Bargnani who had already been a 6-year vet. Fultz is only 18 months into his career and has missed enough games where we can't definitely say what he is or isn't. And all we'd be giving up are guys we'd lose via free agency and Courtney Lee....who we're trying to lose.

NardDogNation

12/11/2018  12:05 AM
NYKBocker wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
We have done well with our 2nd rounders ...yes...but that is the only gamble I would do for fultz. Trier and vonleh has shown enough for me to value them way more than fultz. I think you can get more for CLee and I would hold on.

And you'd be willing to pay them market-value or better for 25 games of play? That rationale is how we've gotten into the financial debacle we've been in. Fultz's contract isn't cheap but it offers cost control as well as immediate and long-term savings. Seems like the fiscally prudent thing to do as a team that is supposedly in a multi-year rebuild.

I Think We Should Take A Chance On Markelle Fultz

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy