[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Why do the knicks feel like they are an attractive destination
Author Thread
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
12/6/2018  3:20 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/6/2018  3:52 PM
I really don't get it.

I guess they feel that losing 50 games without drama, is more attractive than losing 50 games with drama.

No one knows How KP will look, No one( fiz said this himself)and i mean no one, is guaranteed to be back next yr. They are evaluating every player on the roster. sounds exactly like JH

Do they think that perry (who never got a single top tier talent to sign with any team he ran) and mills, (who hasn't been able to convince a single top tier FA to sign with the knicks) will be the attraction

Vet FA want to win now, make no mistake about it. They are not coming here as wash up mentors on their last leg..

Also read an article that the knicks are trying to put together a package for WALL, thats what the hell they need to do..although his contract is god awful

I don't think FA will come to NY if we lose 50+ games this season, get ready for more THJ signings

37 wins won't get you a lottery ticket, but it sure make the roster look decent and go a long way in A

“That’s the first step in getting people to come to New York. When they see we have a really tight ship, really take care of our guys, our guys get better and get a lot of attention. Hopefully all of those things, with the combination of the understanding we have Kristaps Porzingis there, too, this team isn’t necessarily what our record is when you put him in the mix. We have something free agents will like.”

Hey KD, we run a tight ship come join us

ES
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/6/2018  5:32 PM
You had me at the first sentence. Then you asked us to be your emotional tampon.
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
12/6/2018  5:49 PM
I believe NY is the perfect destination for Durant if he does want to leave GS for whatever reason. Him winning a chip in NY would do more for his legacy as a player than any other destination he decided to go to. He is gonna get paid reguardless, and he is gonna have 3 chips. So the only thing I can see him shooting for by leaving GS is something like winning a chip with his own team. Doing so for a franchise that hasn't won one in 45 years.

That soft label would instantly get removed.

Doesn't mean he will choose NY, but just my thoughts.

Knicks don't sign any top tier FAs. Then keep collecting assets until we can comfortably trade for one while still having the talent to improve and contend.

There are no shortcuts, just grind take the lumps and put yourself in position.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

12/6/2018  5:54 PM

This is why

https://nypost.com/2018/12/06/david-fizdale-makes-knicks-free-agency-pitch-with-kyrie-irving-around/

BOSTON — Up in the land of Kyrie, Knicks coach David Fizdale gave his strongest case yet that the Knicks have become an attractive free-agent destination after 25 games on the job.

The Knicks are closing in on having cap space for a maximum salary this summer but have work to do. Celtics point guard Kyrie Irving, a Northern Jersey product, was considered their best chance until he proclaimed he will re-sign, but that is no guarantee after the Celtics’ sluggish start.

Irving’s backup, Terry Rozier, is also a restricted free agent, and the two of them may not be able to coexist long term. The Knicks like Rozier a lot, according to a source.

The specter of Kevin Durant’s wandering eye has the Knicks on red alert. Durant never gave Phil Jackson a Hamptons meeting in 2016. Across recent years, James Dolan’s Knicks no longer became the Big Apple of superstar’s eyes. Hiring Jackson as president didn’t seem to improve matters.

“It’s much more about the perception of the organization,” Fizdale said at Thursday morning’s shootaround at TD Garden before the Celtics rematch at 8 p.m. “What I think we’ve done together with Steve [Mills] and Scott [Perry], Mr. Dolan and myself and all our staff is we changed the perception of how we operate and treat each other and what’s important.

“That’s the first step in getting people to come to New York. When they see we have a really tight ship, really take care of our guys, our guys get better and get a lot of attention. Hopefully all of those things, with the combination of the understanding we have Kristaps Porzingis there, too, this team isn’t necessarily what our record is when you put him in the mix. We have something free agents will like.”

The Knicks are just 8-17 — with a road victory in Boston on Thanksgiving Eve arguably their top conquest. But Fizdale feels they’ve made a statement.

“We all know each other around the league, so I get a lot of people [telling me] just what people think about us, how hard our kids play, the fact that we have a no-quit attitude, obviously Scott and Steve have great reputations with different people around the league, and hopefully my relationships will be another way to come and bring it all together,” Fizdale said.

Apparently he’s getting love from Dolan, who has stayed further in the background than any other season in recent memory.

“Fantastic, he’s been so on board with everything we’re doing, he’s been so supportive and it’s been really nice building a relationship,” Fizdale said. “Mr. Dolan’s big thing is, are we sticking to our process? We are. That’s been the good part about it. Our situation with our roster is where we want it. Our star’s getting healthy. When the time comes for free agency and all of those things, I think we’re gonna be in a good position.”

Fizdale said he wouldn’t comment on when Porzingis would be back at practice, clearly sensitive about talking about the Latvian star since he made remarks last month he was doing “light running” and no sprinting and wasn’t planning on a 2018-19 return. Porzingis took exception and posted on Instagram a photo of him sprinting on a track that day.

Meanwhile, Knicks center Enes Kanter, who will be a free agent and probably can’t re-sign if the Knicks land a big fish, thinks the organization’s reputation has improved. Kanter credited some of it to the congenial Mills-Perry tandem.

“There was this thing, I don’t know what — people don’t want to come here or they were just scared,” Kanter admitted. “With all this new front office, with the coach and everything, it definitely changes. If you see the moves, see the pieces have changed, you see all the young guys have come in and everything, I think it’s definitely changing. It’s definitely going to a good destination.”

Kanter said no doubt a player’s profile rises in New York and used himself as an example, with a sharp uptick in his Twitter and Instagram followers. Kanter played in two of the smallest markets prior, Utah and Oklahoma City.

“I think different personality or not, you’re definitely in front of everybody’s eyes every time because you carry that New York in front of you,” Kanter said. “So every time you go out there you’ve got to have that mindset that everybody is watching you. If you play bad with some other teams, they care a little bit about it. If you play bad in New York … it’s definitely extra motivation and stress.”

The Knicks coach believes the Knicks have to maintain this changing image and not take it for granted. Fizdale hears from longtime Knicks employees who see a difference.

“They’ve gone through a lot of different staffs and coaches and things like that so they can tell me, ‘Hey, this is where we fell short before, this is where we’re pretty good,'” Fizdale said. “We have to sustain it. I’m not sitting here celebrating it from the standpoint of we’ve arrived or we got this whole thing figured out. It’s just I felt we’re doing it the right way step by step, piece by piece.”

ramtour420
Member: #1388
Russian Federation
12/6/2018  6:08 PM
We are doing our version of the Process. We have perhaps 2 out of 3 All-star spots filled with Porzingis and Tim Hardway Jr(you know there is talk of him being a candidate). Pair that up with the absolute triple steal in the draft, Frank being a piece other teams are knocking on our door about, Dotson and Vonley looking like 2-way studs, should I go on and talk about what Mudiay could become? I am almost done listing the reasons and I havent even mentioned the Madison Square Garden, here is another one- we are gonna land a very high pick in this lottery!!! How about that? Isnt that what Lebron lately has been doing? Coming to teams that were able to reload with allstars through the lottery ?
Everything you have ever wanted is on the other side of fear- George Adair
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
12/6/2018  7:03 PM
Nalod wrote:You had me at the first sentence. Then you asked us to be your emotional tampon.

I was expecting Uncle Nalod to jump all over this with both "this ain't the Mecca anymore" feet...
followed with a few fond remembrances of the Nassau Coliseum...

But more to the point;
1) yeah, nobody knows for sure what KP is going to be once he's back, but everyone knows what a unicorn is. Especially KD.
2) we got yoots and NO alpha dog. KP hasn't assumed that role yet.
3) Thank you Phil, we got picks
4) THE major market in the Lebronless east.. Sing it with me. Philly? Spare me.
5) There's Only A Lone Grizzlie Who Doesn't Love Fiz

StarksEwing1
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4451

12/6/2018  8:48 PM
Nalod wrote:You had me at the first sentence. Then you asked us to be your emotional tampon.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
12/6/2018  9:16 PM
Begley tweeted tonight the organization has no interest in Wall.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
12/7/2018  12:30 AM
knicks1248 wrote:I really don't get it.

I guess they feel that losing 50 games without drama, is more attractive than losing 50 games with drama.

No one knows How KP will look, No one( fiz said this himself)and i mean no one, is guaranteed to be back next yr. They are evaluating every player on the roster. sounds exactly like JH

Do they think that perry (who never got a single top tier talent to sign with any team he ran) and mills, (who hasn't been able to convince a single top tier FA to sign with the knicks) will be the attraction

Vet FA want to win now, make no mistake about it. They are not coming here as wash up mentors on their last leg..

Also read an article that the knicks are trying to put together a package for WALL, thats what the hell they need to do..although his contract is god awful

I don't think FA will come to NY if we lose 50+ games this season, get ready for more THJ signings

37 wins won't get you a lottery ticket, but it sure make the roster look decent and go a long way in A

Who said this?
It is too early in the rebuild for top CF to get on-board.
2-3 years early.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
TripleThreat
Member: #3997

12/7/2018  3:02 AM

In the modern era, how many times has it happened?

Grant Hill and Tracy McGrady to the Magic

Shaq to the Lakers

Nash to the Suns ( no one could predict his MVP run)

LBJ to the Cavs the 2nd time

Durant to the Warriors

99 percent of the time, no NBA team is getting an impact free agent.

Players who might want max money/max AAV and best chance to win. This only happens when the team already has a couple of elite guys it drafted and has their BIRD RIGHTS.

You keep saying the draft is pointless, but even if the Knicks could sign an elite free agent, they'd only do so with an established team with cap space, meaning drafted talent who broke out still on their rookie deals and the franchise can use their Bird Rights to go over the cap to resign them and still build a roster.

smackeddog
Member: #883
12/7/2018  4:39 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/7/2018  4:39 AM

At least you're starting to come round and realize your whole philosophy of being anti rebuilding via the draft and thinking we'll win by signing magical free agents is over- you're finally starting to get it!

Mike1989
Member: #8627

12/8/2018  12:34 PM
The difficulty we are going to have recruiting a star free agent is that we are going to need to convince them that this team is one piece away from being ready to compete. The issue with that is that KP is coming off a major injury and there's no real track record to go off for a player of his size coming back from that type of injury. Sure KP might comeback and be better than ever, but his career could be derailed by it, and even if it isn't derailed he has still had issues staying healthy and that could be off-putting. Frank and Knox haven't set the league alight so far. Hardaway is looking like a potential all star but no one is coming to town to play here because he's here. Kanter is a likeable player but again no one is coming to town to play here because he's here. And while our young players are showing flashes of potential, big name free agents aren't going to flock here because of them.

So how can we sell the Knicks to big name free agents?

I think the best way is to prove to them that we are establishing a positive culture that is setting us up for long term success. Let our young players go out there and make an impression. Let the likes of Hardaway and Kanter show their leadership credentials and ability on the court. Hope that KP can comeback before the end of the season and showcase something. And just try to promote that this is a new look Knicks team that is heading in the right direction and hope that is enough to attract one of the big name free agents to come and play here. But it is going to be a tough sell. This might be a storied franchise, and there might be some appeal legacy wise for someone to come here and win here, but I don't know how relevant those points are to current players. Players these days want to play with certain other players, and I don't think pairing up at storied franchises or cities is a must. Westbrook and George are happy in OKC. So I could see someone like Durant being just as happy pairing up in Orlando with another star as he would be pairing up with that same star elsewhere. The attraction here could be sponsorship and marketing related, but playing ball in Florida could have appeal in tax related ways. So although I like to think this team can attract anyone, I think in the current era players aren't really as bothered about who they play for, I think they are more bothered about who they play with.

TripleThreat
Member: #3997

12/8/2018  11:10 PM
Mike1989 wrote:So how can we sell the Knicks to big name free agents?

I think the best way is to prove to them that we are establishing a positive culture that is setting us up for long term success. Let our young players go out there and make an impression.

The current system and marketplace almost precludes it.

An elite player is going to sign a supermax with his current team. If he won't, good odds he will be traded, and teams will only give a decent package if they have enough assets to keep building around said player afterwards AND they have an complete understanding said player will sign a long term extension with them. The only loophole around this is a perennial Finals team ( like LBJ's teams) where the odds of possibly winning a championship outweigh the value of the in season trade, but this is very rare.

You NEED Bird Rights of nearly all your core players to go over the cap to resign them. You only get this by drafting well. You can trade for a player and his Bird Rights, but often, the deal is so gutting to your depth, that unless you have extreme circumstances ( 76ers and Celtics stockpiling for years) , that you won't actually move forward.

Draft well ( some luck is involved here) and keep very very very very CLEAN cap sheet.

The GSW got Durant only by some unique conditions. They dumped the bad contracts of Biedrins and Jefferson earlier. They got a massive cap spike unseen in all of NBA history previously. They drafted well and had a bargain contract with Curry, very rare. They had David Lee and Bogut fall off the roster at just the right time. Durant got to FA because of Westbrook situation, trading KD could have triggered WB to walk the next year. In most cases, the guy would just get traded with a season to go.

The conditions are too extreme to rely on, the Knicks just need to draft well and stockpile assets and be prepared to strike when a rare opportunity arises ( like OKC trading Harden right before the season to Houston)

After The Decision, where LBJ ****ed it up for pretty much everyone, the league set up the new system where it's close to impossible to use FA as even a complementary team building tool when dealing with high end players. Think about what happened, the Heat got to be contenders, but at the cost of gutting two other franchises. That's not good business. Things had to change and they did.

People say every team has a bad contract so no big deal. But even something like Noah's stretch is a team killer. Every last single dollar counts. If the GSW had a Noah situation, that means no Livingston, or no Iggy, or no Bell. You cannot afford any bad contracts at all. None, and that's insanely difficult to do in the NBA.

Jmpasq
Member: #4182

12/9/2018  9:52 AM
TripleThreat wrote:
Mike1989 wrote:So how can we sell the Knicks to big name free agents?

I think the best way is to prove to them that we are establishing a positive culture that is setting us up for long term success. Let our young players go out there and make an impression.

The current system and marketplace almost precludes it.

An elite player is going to sign a supermax with his current team. If he won't, good odds he will be traded, and teams will only give a decent package if they have enough assets to keep building around said player afterwards AND they have an complete understanding said player will sign a long term extension with them. The only loophole around this is a perennial Finals team ( like LBJ's teams) where the odds of possibly winning a championship outweigh the value of the in season trade, but this is very rare.

You NEED Bird Rights of nearly all your core players to go over the cap to resign them. You only get this by drafting well. You can trade for a player and his Bird Rights, but often, the deal is so gutting to your depth, that unless you have extreme circumstances ( 76ers and Celtics stockpiling for years) , that you won't actually move forward.

Draft well ( some luck is involved here) and keep very very very very CLEAN cap sheet.

The GSW got Durant only by some unique conditions. They dumped the bad contracts of Biedrins and Jefferson earlier. They got a massive cap spike unseen in all of NBA history previously. They drafted well and had a bargain contract with Curry, very rare. They had David Lee and Bogut fall off the roster at just the right time. Durant got to FA because of Westbrook situation, trading KD could have triggered WB to walk the next year. In most cases, the guy would just get traded with a season to go.

The conditions are too extreme to rely on, the Knicks just need to draft well and stockpile assets and be prepared to strike when a rare opportunity arises ( like OKC trading Harden right before the season to Houston)

After The Decision, where LBJ ****ed it up for pretty much everyone, the league set up the new system where it's close to impossible to use FA as even a complementary team building tool when dealing with high end players. Think about what happened, the Heat got to be contenders, but at the cost of gutting two other franchises. That's not good business. Things had to change and they did.

People say every team has a bad contract so no big deal. But even something like Noah's stretch is a team killer. Every last single dollar counts. If the GSW had a Noah situation, that means no Livingston, or no Iggy, or no Bell. You cannot afford any bad contracts at all. None, and that's insanely difficult to do in the NBA.

Do you think our timeline is all screwed up now with Porzingis getting maxed? Now we are foeced to push the envelope or he pushes his way out the door. We will lose a chance at worthwile compensation for him. As much as I would like to believe we are going to pull out of this we are still paying for past mistakes. I'm worried this stupid ass franchise will give Mudiay a 4 year 60 million dollar deal.

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

12/9/2018  9:56 AM
You win here you live forever... it's an investment if you are seriously about that life. Commuting and paying taxes.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
knicks1248
Member: #582
12/9/2018  12:35 PM
The only way this team attracts any FA is IF kp comes back this yr, and not only plays well, but carries the team on a little run..

I keep thinking WTF was mills and Perry thinking when they saddled the coach with a bunch of kids who run up and down the court and play pick-up basketball. Are they trying to reinvent the wheel, because this has never worked for any team in the NBA..like ever. Every other wk he has to keep flipping the rotation because none of these guys can stay hot (or even warm) for more than a few games.

This roster does not look attractive

ES
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/9/2018  12:53 PM
knicks1248 wrote:The only way this team attracts any FA is IF kp comes back this yr, and not only plays well, but carries the team on a little run..

I keep thinking WTF was mills and Perry thinking when they saddled the coach with a bunch of kids who run up and down the court and play pick-up basketball. Are they trying to reinvent the wheel, because this has never worked for any team in the NBA..like ever. Every other wk he has to keep flipping the rotation because none of these guys can stay hot (or even warm) for more than a few games.

I don't quite understand your line of thinking. Why do you pre-suppose you know what professional athletes think and why and where they will go to play basketball in their careers?

I mean, I get that there is a high level notion that winning teams attract players. Opportunity also does, and I would assume $$$ defines a majority of where players go (or stay).

Seems to me LeBron just moved because of family reasons. Oddball situation? Yes.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
12/9/2018  12:53 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/9/2018  1:02 PM
They show them this site to promote the mentally stable fanbase.
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
12/9/2018  2:36 PM
knicks1248 wrote:The only way this team attracts any FA is IF kp comes back this yr, and not only plays well, but carries the team on a little run..

Hmmm, They dont stay hot because they don't create easy shots. They dont create easy shots because the ball movement is non existent. The ball movement is non existent because the Knicks have mostly gunners that look for their own shot.

We need an infusion of 2-3 players that can actually generate assist from the guard, wing and forward positions. Knox, Dotson and Frank (if he can get his shot on track) can be molded into cogs that can space the floor, make the extra swing passes, attack close outs, and once in a while get pnr opportunities. Trier is more of a microwave off the bench until he is able to create for others effectively.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
12/9/2018  11:24 PM
martin wrote:

I don't quite understand your line of thinking. Why do you pre-suppose you know what professional athletes think and why and where they will go to play basketball in their careers?

I mean, I get that there is a high level notion that winning teams attract players. Opportunity also does, and I would assume $$$ defines a majority of where players go (or stay).

Seems to me LeBron just moved because of family reasons. Oddball situation? Yes.

Why do anybody think that Kncks think they are an attractive destination?
I do not thing Knicks FO think this way.
They are looking as intelligent people so why they would expect such silly things.
We need much more assets, much more experience, much more talent, and much more team building for top FA start looking our way.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
Why do the knicks feel like they are an attractive destination

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy