[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

What the Phuck is Fiz doing with our crazy linups.......!
Author Thread
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

12/5/2018  6:29 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:Anyone that thinks this year is about lineups, should stick to watching cricket.

Fiz has done a great job giving EVERYONE a look and fair shake thus far. He has done so and stayed competitive. Lets see the armchair geniuses suggest better lineups. For those mad that Frank is sitting, guess you were not listening at the beginning of the year when he said he will roll the ball out and let the best players play. What kind of respect would he have if he now changed the rules!!

If he let the best players play that would be cool. The problem is that he's been all over the place with this. Maybe he settles in now? I'm not saying let's fire the guy, but his rotations have bordered on pure sh!t at times.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
AUTOADVERT
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
12/5/2018  7:51 PM
Don't have any real issues with his lineups. Would like to see more structure on offense, other than that I don't have any strong complaints.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
12/5/2018  9:59 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Vmart wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
Vmart wrote:
Kemet wrote:
Vmart wrote:
franco12 wrote:I don't understand some people here.

Fiz is the best coach we've had since Riley.

Full stop.

He is trying to win games, and I think also trying to figure out which players should be part of the long term future here.

I don't think there is one player right now on the team healthy who is a clear cut starter in the NBA.

You have a ton of middling, average, mixed talents. Some with upside, some with downsides.

Besides KP, who is the clear cut starters????

Fizz is just another stop gap coach. He sucks there is no system no plan.

So True .. Fiz is just another front-office puppet-coach without a system or defensive plan.
All the different starter lineup changes in 24 games has not got players on the same-page.

Glad someone seems to know. Yes this guy is Perry’s puppet and Perry scares me as a no talent GM. Who is know to give up on the wrong up and coming players. Oladipo and Harris are prime examples. This what he is doing to Ntlikina and this going to be disastrous mistake. As for Fizz he has no system so any player of Ntlikina’s ilk is going to struggle. He isn’t a street baller. Usually street ballers don’t play well in systems. And system players don’t play well in street ball. Ntlikina needs structure and Fiz has no structure. Street ball fans will be happy with Fizz but winning is about system.

What does a gm that has talent do? Do they take over a dysfunctional team and make it less functional? Do they take pennies on the dollar in every trade they make? Do they give out the worst contract in professional sports and two of the worst contracts in the NBA? Do they have lots of enemies in other front offices? Do they specialize in a lack of roster continuity? Do they alienate and almost trade star players because of exit meetings? Are they hard to reach when other league execs are interested in doing deals with them? Do they force their coaches to use an antiquated system? Do they fall asleep during pre-draft workouts? Do they leave town to attend a retirement ceremony when there is a. college tournament in their building and the team they built is in the lottery again? Do they have to master the accidental tank and in the process give out horrendous, cap killing contracts and make bad trades?
Talk about a gm having a puppet coach, what was Jeff? What happened to DFish when he wasn't a puppet?
The Knicks are being run like an NBA team now. Thank god Dolan had the sense to move on from Phil right after he signed his extension. I couldn't be more disappointed in Phil and the job he did. The guy was given autonomy and just wanted to cash a check and prove what a great system the triangle was. No room to say Perry sucks. The Knicks had the worst. Phil set the benchmark. Imagine a front office doing an exhaustive coaching search and hiring the most sought after candidate. That didn't happen with Phil. To be qualified to work for Phil you had to agree to run the triangle, be a yes man and allow Phil to interfere and hold workshops with your team.

I fell asleep half way through your post.

Were you in a gym watching a prospect workout? On the subway?

Phil fell asleep because after watching the likes of Jordan and Kobe there nothing else to see. I fall asleep you’d fall asleep.

Vmart
USA
12/5/2018  10:00 PM
Uptown wrote:
Vmart wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
Vmart wrote:
Kemet wrote:
Vmart wrote:

Full stop.

He is trying to win games, and I think also trying to figure out which players should be part of the long term future here.

I don't think there is one player right now on the team healthy who is a clear cut starter in the NBA.

You have a ton of middling, average, mixed talents. Some with upside, some with downsides.

So True .. Fiz is just another front-office puppet-coach without a system or defensive plan.
All the different starter lineup changes in 24 games has not got players on the same-page.

Glad someone seems to know. Yes this guy is Perry’s puppet and Perry scares me as a no talent GM. Who is know to give up on the wrong up and coming players. Oladipo and Harris are prime examples. This what he is doing to Ntlikina and this going to be disastrous mistake. As for Fizz he has no system so any player of Ntlikina’s ilk is going to struggle. He isn’t a street baller. Usually street ballers don’t play well in systems. And system players don’t play well in street ball. Ntlikina needs structure and Fiz has no structure. Street ball fans will be happy with Fizz but winning is about system.

What does a gm that has talent do? Do they take over a dysfunctional team and make it less functional? Do they take pennies on the dollar in every trade they make? Do they give out the worst contract in professional sports and two of the worst contracts in the NBA? Do they have lots of enemies in other front offices? Do they specialize in a lack of roster continuity? Do they alienate and almost trade star players because of exit meetings? Are they hard to reach when other league execs are interested in doing deals with them? Do they force their coaches to use an antiquated system? Do they fall asleep during pre-draft workouts? Do they leave town to attend a retirement ceremony when there is a. college tournament in their building and the team they built is in the lottery again? Do they have to master the accidental tank and in the process give out horrendous, cap killing contracts and make bad trades?
Talk about a gm having a puppet coach, what was Jeff? What happened to DFish when he wasn't a puppet?
The Knicks are being run like an NBA team now. Thank god Dolan had the sense to move on from Phil right after he signed his extension. I couldn't be more disappointed in Phil and the job he did. The guy was given autonomy and just wanted to cash a check and prove what a great system the triangle was. No room to say Perry sucks. The Knicks had the worst. Phil set the benchmark. Imagine a front office doing an exhaustive coaching search and hiring the most sought after candidate. That didn't happen with Phil. To be qualified to work for Phil you had to agree to run the triangle, be a yes man and allow Phil to interfere and hold workshops with your team.

Of course you did....it doesn't fit your agenda!

Because the players he was watching didn’t fit his agenda.

arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
12/5/2018  10:04 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/5/2018  10:05 PM
Chandler wrote:
arkrud wrote:
Chandler wrote:
franco12 wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:Anyone that thinks this year is about lineups, should stick to watching cricket.

Fiz has done a great job giving EVERYONE a look and fair shake thus far. He has done so and stayed competitive. Lets see the armchair geniuses suggest better lineups. For those mad that Frank is sitting, guess you were not listening at the beginning of the year when he said he will roll the ball out and let the best players play. What kind of respect would he have if he now changed the rules!!

Thank you. As I posted earlier- what is our record with KP? We're probably 500 or just a smidge over.

Add KD, and we're in first.

I love Fiz- I think he has done a great job of getting guys to overachieve.

What clear cut starter has he benched?

Before you fall too deeply in love consider the stats.

The team is playing worse on offense (passing and shooting) than last year (even though Fizz is rooted as a pg). We are dead last as a team in most passing stats. Mudiay is shooting better but passing worse (fewer assist more TOs). Yes he can look good here and there but he's averaging 3 assists and 2 TO a game roughly -- egads. that's our savior, our best passer? and he's not developing as a passer --he's regressing

More embarassing, we're far worse on defense (when Hornacek coached! let that sink in) This is so, even though this year we have Dot, Vonleh, and Mitch bring significantly more defensive energy than some of their predecessors

It's easy to like Fizz's passion (I do at least); and it's easy to see a lot of players playing hard for him (that's great). I am actually pulling for him, but that's because I'm a fan not because of the evidence in front of us.
the evidence suggests some very concerning aspects -- much more than lineups

His old GM said he couldn't close games; and we've seen that -- hopefully things improve

He alienated his best player in Memphis; Fizz said he learned from that, but KP has already called BS on him in a tweet, and Frank is probably not sending him any XMAS cards this year. ANd no, this isn't complaining about losing a starting role; i get that; Mud is playing better. This is about retarded DNPs when they could have used Frank's defense at least situationally (e.g., against Beale and the like) reinforcing and building Frank's confidence as a defensive stopper if nothing else. (How many games are we going to lose with THJ guarding the opponents best wing to end a game). And yes, I still think Fizz intended to humiliate Frank by gluing Frank to pine after 6 minutes when Frank did what coach wanted him to do --- attack the paint (albeit Frank could have done that better).

Whether it's KP or Frank, players have choices. The retreads will come here because we'll pay them. If we don't get some semblance of a system, culture, and real accountability the good guys are going to walk or find a way to force a trade.

You mention the only 3 players we have which can defend outside Frank.
Non of them is a starter in NBA yet.
In fact this team has no starting caliber players. Kanter and Timmy are close but not on contender team and both are bad defensibly.
This team can win only if they play even worth team or team which fall asleep.
This roster is not even 20% ready for competing.
What you trying to evaluate?

the same was true last year except for the time we had KP. We're doing far worse as a team. Our passing has regressed hugely (not something that KP padded numbers)

our defense has regressed even though we have some good defenders.

The team was just dismantled last year so it had to be worse.
I think we are close to be as bad as last year but who cares.
We just loading on data to make more educated decisions.
It is clear to everyone who understand the game that winning is not a goal except a process of winning the game is another data set collection.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
12/5/2018  10:21 PM
Vmart wrote:
Uptown wrote:
Vmart wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
Vmart wrote:
Kemet wrote:
Vmart wrote:

Full stop.

Of course you did....it doesn't fit your agenda!

Because the players he was watching didn’t fit his agenda.

He signed, traded for or drafted every player on the roster. The Knicks were in the bottom of the league for roster continuity when Phil kept resetting and accidentally tanking.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
12/5/2018  11:38 PM
Chandler wrote:
franco12 wrote:

Thank you. As I posted earlier- what is our record with KP? We're probably 500 or just a smidge over.

The team is playing worse on offense (passing and shooting) than last year (even though Fizz is rooted as a pg). We are dead last as a team in most passing stats. Mudiay is shooting better but passing worse (fewer assist more TOs). Yes he can look good here and there but he's averaging 3 assists and 2 TO a game roughly -- egads. that's our savior, our best passer? and he's not developing as a passer --he's regressing

More embarassing, we're far worse on defense (when Hornacek coached! let that sink in) This is so, even though this year we have Dot, Vonleh, and Mitch bring significantly more defensive energy than some of their predecessors

It's easy to like Fizz's passion (I do at least); and it's easy to see a lot of players playing hard for him (that's great). I am actually pulling for him, but that's because I'm a fan not because of the evidence in front of us.

His old GM said he couldn't close games; and we've seen that -- hopefully things improve

He alienated his best player in Memphis; Fizz said he learned from that, but KP has already called BS on him in a tweet, and Frank is probably not sending him any XMAS cards this year. ANd no, this isn't complaining about losing a starting role; i get that; Mud is playing better. This is about retarded DNPs when they could have used Frank's defense at least situationally (e.g., against Beale and the like) reinforcing and building Frank's confidence as a defensive stopper if nothing else. (How many games are we going to lose with THJ guarding the opponents best wing to end a game). And yes, I still think Fizz intended to humiliate Frank by gluing Frank to pine after 6 minutes when Frank did what coach wanted him to do --- attack the paint (albeit Frank could have done that better).

Whether it's KP or Frank, players have choices. The retreads will come here because we'll pay them. If we don't get some semblance of a system, culture, and real accountability the good guys are going to walk or find a way to force a trade.

How about this for a stat - what is our record with KP? Healthy, in the line up?

Maybe 500? We've played just about every team close. Been in just about every game at some point.

I see a team playing with passion, playing hard. I didn't see that last year.

What percentage of minutes have any player over 28 played for us this year vs. last year?

23% last year to 3% this year

franco12
USA
12/5/2018  11:39 PM
Marv wrote:how can u guys possibly judge what kind of coach he is based on the unique circumstances of this year to date?

preconceived bias and prejudice?

ramtour420
Member: #1388
Russian Federation
12/6/2018  3:16 AM
franco12 wrote:
Chandler wrote:
franco12 wrote:

How about this for a stat - what is our record with KP? Healthy, in the line up?

Maybe 500? We've played just about every team close. Been in just about every game at some point.

What percentage of minutes have any player over 28 played for us this year vs. last year?

+1 You took the words out of my mouth. Last year we were trying to win with veterans. Remember Jarret Jack taking mins from Frank? Now that's not developing squat. You cannot compare our stats with any degree of objectivity since our goals are so different so it would only make sense if our methods were different, which brings different results. This year is all about the youth. Those are facts.

Now as for my opinion, the team is a lot more interesting to watch this season. Punking them good teams while playing multiple rookies in crunch time and winning! Fiz now looks great at bringing the best out of players. But let's question his methods anyway, after all that's what makes for a good discussion. I have been impressed so far, he has me on the edge of my seat waiting for Frank to come back and kill it. I just hope that Frank is just as eager

Everything you have ever wanted is on the other side of fear- George Adair
Vmart
USA
12/6/2018  4:48 AM
franco12 wrote:
Chandler wrote:
franco12 wrote:

You want to know why it seems the Knicks are playing hard because just about everyone is on a contract year. Probably why you see so little assists and ball movement. Everyone is in a I got to get mine mode.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/6/2018  8:40 AM
I’m a Frank fan more because I hope. I’m not happy with his play and what looked like a bit of a statistically evident melt down. Part of the process is let a kid sit and then “reboot” it seems to be working with others.
Will it with frank? We’ll find out.
Will knicks do someting stupid? Won’t know until we get hindsight.
For what it’s worth, and it’s very little, Magic are actually decent on have a future. But I’m not going to pin that on Perry or the new assistant GM that replace him. Regarding Olidipo, they did not want to pay him.
knicks1248
Member: #582
12/6/2018  9:09 AM
arkrud wrote:
Chandler wrote:
franco12 wrote:

In fact this team has no starting caliber players. Kanter and Timmy are close but not on contender team and both are bad defensibly.

80% of NBA rosters are role players, what the knicks are missing is a couple of all stars, not starters. If we had KP with KD, or Kyrie, this team is to 5 in the NBA

How many games have we loss by one possession in where THJ was guarding a wing player that won the game, How bout one time.

ES
franco12
USA
12/6/2018  9:23 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
arkrud wrote:
Chandler wrote:
franco12 wrote:

80% of NBA rosters are role players, what the knicks are missing is a couple of all stars, not starters. If we had KP with KD, or Kyrie, this team is to 5 in the NBA

How many games have we loss by one possession in where THJ was guarding a wing player that won the game, How bout one time.

WTF? I agree with you?!?!

Chandler
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6197

12/6/2018  9:34 AM
Nalod wrote:I’m a Frank fan more because I hope. I’m not happy with his play and what looked like a bit of a statistically evident melt down. Part of the process is let a kid sit and then “reboot” it seems to be working with others.
For what it’s worth, and it’s very little, Magic are actually decent on have a future. But I’m not going to pin that on Perry or the new assistant GM that replace him. Regarding Olidipo, they did not want to pay him.

I agree with a lot of this except the lame statement about Oladipo. The reality is they didn't know what they had, didn't develop and let him leave early, same with Tobias

If they had a chance of a do-over they'd keep Oladipo in a nanosecond

Clifford has essentially the same team as last year but is doing much, much better than Vogel (who I wanted here, yikes)
Budenholzer has the same Bucks team minus Jabari and has them playing phenomenally well (Yay Knicks for beating them anyway)

Coaches can make a huge difference even in a talent-driven league (See S.Kerr versus Mark Jackson as well)

they have an extremely difficult job. Xs and Os, player development, managing egos etc.

So far I give Fizz big credit in having the team play with passion. Yes, he has a bunch of young vets playing for their profession careers (they either turn it on now or play in EP, turkey, China etc) and a young of hungry rookies, but we have seen other coaches fail in the same context. Guys are playing hard and seem to genuinely like one another.

I also give him credit for doing a much better job of connecting with the players than Hornacek did. This doesn't mean you have to kiss player's ass; it means you need to be honest but respectful.

Having said that, I still see big problems with the team and the way he has them play. Honestly, at times, I think he's operating on a secret missive to intentionally lose

(5)(5)
Nalod
USA
12/6/2018  9:44 AM
Chandler wrote:
Nalod wrote:I’m a Frank fan more because I hope. I’m not happy with his play and what looked like a bit of a statistically evident melt down. Part of the process is let a kid sit and then “reboot” it seems to be working with others.

I agree with a lot of this except the lame statement about Oladipo. The reality is they didn't know what they had, didn't develop and let him leave early, same with Tobias

If they had a chance of a do-over they'd keep Oladipo in a nanosecond

Clifford has essentially the same team as last year but is doing much, much better than Vogel (who I wanted here, yikes)
Budenholzer has the same Bucks team minus Jabari and has them playing phenomenally well (Yay Knicks for beating them anyway)

Coaches can make a huge difference even in a talent-driven league (See S.Kerr versus Mark Jackson as well)

they have an extremely difficult job. Xs and Os, player development, managing egos etc.

So far I give Fizz big credit in having the team play with passion. Yes, he has a bunch of young vets playing for their profession careers (they either turn it on now or play in EP, turkey, China etc) and a young of hungry rookies, but we have seen other coaches fail in the same context. Guys are playing hard and seem to genuinely like one another.

I also give him credit for doing a much better job of connecting with the players than Hornacek did. This doesn't mean you have to kiss player's ass; it means you need to be honest but respectful.

Having said that, I still see big problems with the team and the way he has them play. Honestly, at times, I think he's operating on a secret missive to intentionally lose

All the Olidipo stuff is debatable. perhaps they did not want to pay on potential and they did not know what they had via the metric of what to pay him? Perhaps they did not want to find out via free agency and risk losing him or have to match a contrct they were not comfortable with. If they knew what they had, they might have paid him. Perhaps a defined timeline would clarify this. But who has that kind of time??

HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

12/6/2018  10:14 AM
Vmart wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Vmart wrote:
Kemet wrote:
Vmart wrote:

Full stop.

Huh?

What moves has Perry made here that you disagree with? If your mad that Frank has been benched because he has not played well that's one thing. But why make it about Perry? And how is comparing Oladipo with Frank relevant. Oladipo was playing pretty well in Orlando but they knew he would be too costly to keep. Frank is not playing well nor does he have cost issues for the Knicks. Btw, have you heard something we have not? Is Frank being traded? Or you just like complaining about things that have yet to happen.

I dislike all his moves. I don’t like the coach he has hired. I don’t like the players he has brought in. The players he has brought in are trashed players and all reclamation project that will lead the team to nowhere.

As for Frank he has played poorly but the object of the year is developing players so why is Frank sitting. Let him play through it.

You dont like anything? Nuff said.

How long have you watched Pro basketball? First year guys rarely get off the bench, yet they are still being developed. Not the case for Frank as he played right away. Secomd year guys rarely get the nod in the starting line up. Specially when there are better more experienced players at that position. Yet they are still being developed. Not the case for Frank as he got a chance several games. Again, if your mad that he is not living up to what you claimed him to be, thats one thing, but this notion that it is Fiz's fault or even crazier that its Perry's, is just blind hate.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
HofstraBBall

12/6/2018  10:23 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/6/2018  10:32 AM
Chandler wrote:
franco12 wrote:

Anyone who judges a new coach after 25 games and with a roster full of projects is an idiot! Anyone who thinks culture is developed in 25 games is a moron. We have a few on here.

As for accountability, Fiz has done nothing but hold players accountable.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
HofstraBBall

12/6/2018  10:25 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/6/2018  10:26 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:

If he let the best players play that would be cool. The problem is that he's been all over the place with this. Maybe he settles in now? I'm not saying let's fire the guy, but his rotations have bordered on pure sh!t at times.

I'll play....Who is your starting five? Second unit?

Nalod
USA
12/6/2018  10:37 AM
About every linup thus far has had limited success and then failure. Glass half full or empty?
To some extent Fiz might be doing too good a job as no defined lineup has sustained in either direction GIVEN THE MAKE UP OF THE TALENT AND EXPERIENCE THIS TEAM HAS.
We all knew there would be some washout with this roster. Many were bought here with the idea they'd be given a chance. It also has to valid if we continue to provide these opportunities going forward. With Burke, we made good on the promise. With Mario, we also have given him his chance. Mudiay was given space to play last year and be ready.
I like Dot, but if we can get a late round 1st for him I'd think that would be a great success for us.
knicks1248
Member: #582
12/6/2018  10:40 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/6/2018  10:41 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

I'll play....Who is your starting five? Second unit?

Each and every player has had his ups and downs, the only way to get consistency is to have success, if not your going to be bumbling and fumbling with the rotations every few wks until you find the best roles for certain players.

This also falls back on management, get the coach players that he can play in his system.

Take that AX away from him and give him and electric saw so he can really chop the tree down

ES
What the Phuck is Fiz doing with our crazy linups.......!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy