Author Thread
Cartman718
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1694

12/5/2018  9:18 AM
jrodmc wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Vmart wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:Was anyone saying they didn't? Perry did a great job picking up Phils fumble.

It wasn’t a fumble it was “the holy roller”. Phil knew that the only way to get Melo to shuffle his feet with the no trade clause was to make it a big deal. Melo had a lot of people fooled including Phil. Hence the no trade.

Bull****. Phil did squat. Probably never even spoke to him except through the media. Perry came in and acted like a true GM and worked things out so that both parties can move on. And did so pretty quickly and efficiently. And as the thread states, did it with great return. Dolan did one thing right and fired the fool. That way Perry was able to stop a useless trade, reset and complete the trade that took place?

And Melo fooled people for 16 years. So well that he is guaranteed to be in the Hall of Fame.

Agree he should have not ever received a NTC at that stage in his career. But Phil was also the genius who thought Noah and Rose were the ones needed to surround him with.

Difference between having a real GM and an overpaid retired HOF coach. And Phil was also the genius shopping our unicorn because of a hard on over a missed exit meeting.

Yeah, and I sure hate the fooling Melo did the first three years of his tenure here. I love spending seasons doing the Phil-ly special; tank threads, watching the draft listings, wondering what unknown phenoms we're missing from the Euro leagues now that BRIGGS has been relegated to winning the Gamepicker...

KP maybe learned from Melo there on "standing up to mgmt" on the missed exit meeting. That plus the fact that Phil was butchering his role with the "we know what we're doing". Hope there are no more missed exit meetings from any players...NOW what would be the reason to?

Coach has the players' backs.
FO has Coach's back.

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/5/2018  10:42 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/5/2018  10:43 AM
Phil is gone. Not everything he did was bad, or good. KP reaction to things and missing the meeting was bad. Phil's reaction was worse. He reacted like a coach scorned. A good GM would fire his coach as unicorns are not common. I thought Hornacek was OK but direction we in with Fiz better. And its way too early to even comment on Fiz. Things are in disarray.
My wife is on sabbatical leave catching up on life and has taken the task to clean out closets and basement. Its a mess. Pulling stuff out, sorting it thru makes a mess. In time we'll lighten up and reorganize. Maybe this is true of what Fiz is doing with this team.
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

12/5/2018  11:17 AM
Nalod wrote:Phil is gone. Not everything he did was bad, or good. KP reaction to things and missing the meeting was bad. Phil's reaction was worse. He reacted like a coach scorned. A good GM would fire his coach as unicorns are not common. I thought Hornacek was OK but direction we in with Fiz better. And its way too early to even comment on Fiz. Things are in disarray.
My wife is on sabbatical leave catching up on life and has taken the task to clean out closets and basement. Its a mess. Pulling stuff out, sorting it thru makes a mess. In time we'll lighten up and reorganize. Maybe this is true of what Fiz is doing with this team.
Good Post. Im more happy with the front office we have now but I dont hate Phil. He made a lot of mistakes but also did some good things. As for Melo I wish him luck for whatever he does after the NBA. I admit I was never a big fan of his as a player but on a personal level I felt he was a decent guy. As for the trade Scott Perry deserves credit. Kanter despite his issues on defense has been a big threat on the interior and Rebound machine. Hope we can keep him but not sure with the cap. Mitch I wanted from day 1. I was afraid the Lakers were gonna take him at 25 because I know they wanted him but their mistake turned into our good fortune. Mcdermott turned into mudiay who is starting to put it together. So obviously big win for us
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
12/5/2018  4:43 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
Vmart wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:Was anyone saying they didn't? Perry did a great job picking up Phils fumble.

It wasn’t a fumble it was “the holy roller”. Phil knew that the only way to get Melo to shuffle his feet with the no trade clause was to make it a big deal. Melo had a lot of people fooled including Phil. Hence the no trade.

Bull****. Phil did squat. Probably never even spoke to him except through the media. Perry came in and acted like a true GM and worked things out so that both parties can move on. And did so pretty quickly and efficiently. And as the thread states, did it with great return. Dolan did one thing right and fired the fool. That way Perry was able to stop a useless trade, reset and complete the trade that took place?

And Melo fooled people for 16 years. So well that he is guaranteed to be in the Hall of Fame.

Agree he should have not ever received a NTC at that stage in his career. But Phil was also the genius who thought Noah and Rose were the ones needed to surround him with.

Still got you fooled.

Vmart
USA
12/5/2018  4:48 PM
jrodmc wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Vmart wrote:

Difference between having a real GM and an overpaid retired HOF coach. And Phil was also the genius shopping our unicorn because of a hard on over a missed exit meeting.

Yeah, and I sure hate the fooling Melo did the first three years of his tenure here. I love spending seasons doing the Phil-ly special; tank threads, watching the draft listings, wondering what unknown phenoms we're missing from the Euro leagues now that BRIGGS has been relegated to winning the Gamepicker...

Go and kiss Melo’s rings. You treating one of the all time winning coach as if he knows nothing. The man who helped the Knicks to their title. Hi and look up why Melo didn’t last in OKC and lasted only a handful of games in Houston.

Vmart
USA
12/5/2018  4:55 PM
Nalod wrote:Phil is gone. Not everything he did was bad, or good. KP reaction to things and missing the meeting was bad. Phil's reaction was worse. He reacted like a coach scorned. A good GM would fire his coach as unicorns are not common. I thought Hornacek was OK but direction we in with Fiz better. And its way too early to even comment on Fiz. Things are in disarray.

You know why Phil was mad at KP. Probably because MJ, Kobe and Shaq showed up for theirs. Pat Ewing probably never missed one. This Unicorn of ours is feeling himself even before he has accomplished something. I get that its a players league and fans love players but respect the damn game and the process players are employees first.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
12/5/2018  5:37 PM
Vmart wrote:

You know why Phil was mad at KP. Probably because MJ, Kobe and Shaq showed up for theirs. Pat Ewing probably never missed one. This Unicorn of ours is feeling himself even before he has accomplished something. I get that its a players league and fans love players but respect the damn game and the process players are employees first.

Shaq didn't show up for his and it was with Phil.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Chandler
Member: #6197

12/5/2018  6:03 PM

Biggest issue in my mind was that -- to use an NFL analogy -- Phil was best suited as a director of football operations akin to Coughlin with the Jags. He should have specified a philosophy and culture, hired GM and at least been involved with coach. To a large degree this is what he was "supposed" to be as President

The reality was different. Instead he acted as a GM when he wanted to (sometimes to bad effect), and zoned out when bored. Our plan was fine; our execution sucked

Maybe our history would have been completely different if Kerr didn't back out of verbal deal; maybe different if Phil hired a star GM who was a kindred spirit philosophically yet someone Phil respected enough that he would listen if the GM told him politely to stay out of something and catch a nap (like Rose and Noah dealings)

Experiment failed, but I'll have to admit that, for a while, I was in love with the romantic image that we would have an institutional culture starting from the G-league and working its way up; that we would play system ball valuing passing and defense, that we would build through draft and develop players.

Now we're watching YMCA ball on steroids. Can anyone honestly say what our identity is on offense or defense -- other than that our players are hungry and compete hard

(5)(5)
Vmart
USA
12/5/2018  10:23 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Vmart wrote:

Your comparing Shaq to KP. One who has championships to someone who hasn’t made an all star game.
CrushAlot
USA
12/5/2018  10:26 PM
Vmart wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
Vmart wrote:

Your comparing Shaq to KP. One who has championships to someone who hasn’t made an all star game.
No. Just correcting your mistake.
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
12/6/2018  9:32 AM
Vmart wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Vmart wrote:

Go and kiss Melo’s rings. You treating one of the all time winning coach as if he knows nothing. The man who helped the Knicks to their title. Hi and look up why Melo didn’t last in OKC and lasted only a handful of games in Houston.

Go look up how many playoff games we played under the all time greatest coach turned million a month Prez, and then stroke that pic of Phil's feet again while wearing your Albany Patroons tshirt. Nobody's talking about Melo's current career now but you.
Having a nice conversation with yourself?

And if the guy who helped us win a chip 40 years ago is such a smart FO guy, explain the Noah contract, and Melo's NTC. Oh wait, that's right, what was I thinking?, he's the greatest college player from Montana too.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/6/2018  10:09 AM
jrodmc wrote:
Vmart wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Vmart wrote:

Go look up how many playoff games we played under the all time greatest coach turned million a month Prez, and then stroke that pic of Phil's feet again while wearing your Albany Patroons tshirt. Nobody's talking about Melo's current career now but you.
Having a nice conversation with yourself?

And if the guy who helped us win a chip 40 years ago is such a smart FO guy, explain the Noah contract, and Melo's NTC. Oh wait, that's right, what was I thinking?, he's the greatest college player from Montana too.

Can't touch Phil and his 11 rings. Can't win without stars but lots of coach's have failed in the pursuit. Phil the exec had a good idea but executed it badly. Results speak loud. KP made a bad decision but look what it did. He changed the front office and in time the coach.
DRose does still have game left. It was his health that was in question and really it cost us little. Noah was a bad one. no denying that. Knicks got lucky and drafted KP. Did not trade the pick or get cute there.
I thought Fisher was a good concept. Kerr was his first choice. Kerr had never coached but he was more mature, had GM experience and that really helped. Fisher was not the solid person we thought he was. Phil hires were all former players like himself. That itself was telling.
Im not defending Phil but trying to put balance on it. He was not suited for the role and he thought as a coach and not as team president. That's over simplifying it but the truth is what it is.

Simple fact is the team then and now is devoid of experienced talent and the turnstile player movement does not build culture. At least for the time being we have a FO that built for player development and a coach juggling minutes to provide opportunities. a quarter of the season in Fiz has given everyone a chance. Its not perfect and we all knew there would be some that won't survive the audition. Because frank was picked 8th it places a higher expectation. Drafting is treacherous place. Dennis smith is good, but small. Monk? Mitchell is the one that got a way. There are always one that gets away. But we make it up with Trier and Robinson.

CrushAlot
USA
12/6/2018  4:16 PM
Currently the Knicks are scheduled to give up the 35th pick in the 2019 draft because Phil had to move a pick to create a spot for the Kobe stopper.
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
12/6/2018  5:22 PM
Reguarding Phil, his regime netted KP which hopefully will have positive effects for years to come. For all his turnover and turmoil. His downfall was signing players(Melo, Noah, Lee) to long term contracts. Having turnover by not commiting long term deals and instead getting guys like Affalo and D.Williams on 1-2 yr deals & netting lotto picks was actually helping the Knicks in the long run. If he stayed away from signing Noah and Lee to long term deals even if it lead to more turnover. Perry would have had cap space galore to work with.

Would have been better if he took the job more as a clean up and set up. Falling into the pressure of trying to win now due to getting attacked for his record was a set back for the team.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
ramtour420
Member: #1388
Russian Federation
12/6/2018  6:25 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:Reguarding Phil, his regime netted KP which hopefully will have positive effects for years to come. For all his turnover and turmoil. His downfall was signing players(Melo, Noah, Lee) to long term contracts. Having turnover by not commiting long term deals and instead getting guys like Affalo and D.Williams on 1-2 yr deals & netting lotto picks was actually helping the Knicks in the long run. If he stayed away from signing Noah and Lee to long term deals even if it lead to more turnover. Perry would have had cap space galore to work with.

Would have been better if he took the job more as a clean up and set up. Falling into the pressure of trying to win now due to getting attacked for his record was a set back for the team.

Thats really what it came down to. The Process wasnt performed in a clean and pure way. Having "cap space galore" is crucial in the last stages of the Process.

Everything you have ever wanted is on the other side of fear- George Adair
How the Knicks won the Carmelo trade...kudos to FO

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy