[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

How the Knicks won the Carmelo trade...kudos to FO
Author Thread
Cartman718
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1694

12/3/2018  12:10 PM
Perry, Mills had this to say when they traded Carmelo...

"This is a deal we feel works for both this franchise and Carmelo. We thank him for his seven seasons in a Knicks uniform and all that he accomplished off the court for the City of New York by using his platform to address social issues"

If you remember, last year's summer they touted Carmelo as a great player and perennial All-Star etc etc

On Sept 25, 2017 when they traded him, that trade got us...
Kanter, McDermott, and a 2nd round pick.

Then they realized over the course of the season that McBuckets was going to cost them in FA, so they traded him and a 2nd round pick for Mudiay and a 2nd round pick.

McBuckets signed for 3 yrs and $20 million w/ Pacers.

The Carmelo 2nd round pick became Mitch Robinson

So essentially we flipped Carmelo for...
Kanter...a double double machine with the same abysmal defense, 8 yrs younger and 9 mill less per year on contract.
Mudiay...looking like a stud PG finally under Fiz tutelage and Craig Robinson player development
Mitch...future twin tower lineup next to KP. Critics agree its a steal.

Even if we forget about the Trier signing as an NBA ready player...
Reporters claiming today that Carmelo has seen his last NBA game.
So essentially in 1 year 2 months, we've gone from a 33 yr old has-been to a 26 yr old center, a 22 yr old possibly future PG of the Knicks and a 20 yr old future center of the Knicks.

Now is that a FO masterpiece or what?

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
AUTOADVERT
anrst
Member: #1054
USA
12/3/2018  12:59 PM
it's pretty fkn good
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
12/3/2018  1:12 PM
Shockingly good. We actually got Melo's best years out of him, then traded him for a package that looks just as good today than what we traded for him 7 years ago, from what it seems. Mostly it all depends on Robinson's development, but it has been a strong return either way.
nykshaknbake
Member: #492
12/3/2018  1:16 PM
Refreshing that we were on the other side of this one. Usually we are trading picks and assets for a washed up big name.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
12/3/2018  2:51 PM
Knixkik wrote:Shockingly good. We actually got Melo's best years out of him, then traded him for a package that looks just as good today than what we traded for him 7 years ago, from what it seems. Mostly it all depends on Robinson's development, but it has been a strong return either way.
This. It looks like the Knicks got two eventual starters that are 20 and 22.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
12/3/2018  4:49 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/3/2018  4:50 PM
Let see what Kanter will get us in the trade or after his contract expired and we sign some FA...
But in general it prove once again - you do the right thing and you will never regret it at worst.
A little luck and you can get rewarded.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
Kemet
Member: #6148

12/3/2018  5:16 PM
I wish we would have kept Mcderm's energy and hustle something Mario doesn't have
KnickDanger
Member: #7578

12/3/2018  5:26 PM
People wanted to trade Melo for Ryan Anderson. Seeing him go is even more obviously addition by subtraction now. Kanter isn't likely here for the long haul but in the short term has easily matched Carmelo's production. In Mud and Mitch you have two interesting players currently showing growth and potential. Gotta like it.
Cartman718
Member: #1694

12/4/2018  12:58 AM
Kemet wrote:I wish we would have kept Mcderm's energy and hustle something Mario doesn't have

mcderm became mudiay. hezonja is a FA signing

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/4/2018  10:50 AM
Phil knew what he was doing.........
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
12/4/2018  11:44 AM
arkrud wrote:Let see what Kanter will get us in the trade or after his contract expired and we sign some FA...
But in general it prove once again - you do the right thing and you will never regret it at worst.

I hope we keep Kanter. That big turk has grown on me.

Nalod
USA
12/4/2018  1:10 PM
NYKBocker wrote:
arkrud wrote:Let see what Kanter will get us in the trade or after his contract expired and we sign some FA...

I understand. I like him also. The unknown is a step of faith into what can be seen vs. what is.
Why its not easy to say "I think knicks will be able to upgrade from hear with....."
The future is Mitch and KP. The rest will sort itself out. Ode to Enes!!! Good teammate!!

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
12/4/2018  1:34 PM
Nalod wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:

I understand. I like him also. The unknown is a step of faith into what can be seen vs. what is.
Why its not easy to say "I think knicks will be able to upgrade from hear with....."
The future is Mitch and KP. The rest will sort itself out. Ode to Enes!!! Good teammate!!

I'm not so sure I want to take a FA run this summer at any big FA. You need quality players like Enes, Burke, Mudiay to go with your stars.

I'd like to think Knox & KP are our potential stars, add one more in the draft this year, and then you keep everyone else- and let them develop together - Burke, Mudia, Frank, Mitch.

Now, I'm not saying you keep Enes at $20m per, but there has to be a middle ground #$ for 4 years that allows us to grow this squad.

Of course, when KD is on the market and ready to meet with the Knicks, I'll be one of the first to say jettison everyone to get a player like him!

HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

12/4/2018  5:06 PM
Was anyone saying they didn't? Perry did a great job picking up Phils fumble.
'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
Nalod
USA
12/4/2018  5:22 PM
One more time:
Luck is when opportunity collides with preparation. In the case of the trade you get smaller pieces that created opportunities. We as fan prefer absolutes. Players with history.
CrushAlot
USA
12/4/2018  5:57 PM
Getting Mitch alone made the Knicks win the deal. What the Stephen was saying about Mitch last April. https://www.thestepien.com/mitchell-robinson/
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
12/4/2018  6:15 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:Was anyone saying they didn't? Perry did a great job picking up Phils fumble.

It wasn’t a fumble it was “the holy roller”. Phil knew that the only way to get Melo to shuffle his feet with the no trade clause was to make it a big deal. Melo had a lot of people fooled including Phil. Hence the no trade.

HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

12/4/2018  7:33 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/4/2018  7:39 PM
Vmart wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:Was anyone saying they didn't? Perry did a great job picking up Phils fumble.

It wasn’t a fumble it was “the holy roller”. Phil knew that the only way to get Melo to shuffle his feet with the no trade clause was to make it a big deal. Melo had a lot of people fooled including Phil. Hence the no trade.

Bull****. Phil did squat. Probably never even spoke to him except through the media. Perry came in and acted like a true GM and worked things out so that both parties can move on. And did so pretty quickly and efficiently. And as the thread states, did it with great return. Dolan did one thing right and fired the fool. That way Perry was able to stop a useless trade, reset and complete the trade that took place?

And Melo fooled people for 16 years. So well that he is guaranteed to be in the Hall of Fame.

Agree he should have not ever received a NTC at that stage in his career. But Phil was also the genius who thought Noah and Rose were the ones needed to surround him with.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
CrushAlot
USA
12/4/2018  8:24 PM
Vmart wrote:

If Phil stayed Melo stayed. No waiving the huge trade kicker. No waiving the Ntc. Melo opts in this year and the Knicks have to buy him out. Phil f@cked up the Melo situation every way possible. Time to move on and enjoy a real gm and a management coaching staff that works together.
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
12/5/2018  8:40 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:
Vmart wrote:

Bull****. Phil did squat. Probably never even spoke to him except through the media. Perry came in and acted like a true GM and worked things out so that both parties can move on. And did so pretty quickly and efficiently. And as the thread states, did it with great return. Dolan did one thing right and fired the fool. That way Perry was able to stop a useless trade, reset and complete the trade that took place?

And Melo fooled people for 16 years. So well that he is guaranteed to be in the Hall of Fame.

Agree he should have not ever received a NTC at that stage in his career. But Phil was also the genius who thought Noah and Rose were the ones needed to surround him with.

Difference between having a real GM and an overpaid retired HOF coach. And Phil was also the genius shopping our unicorn because of a hard on over a missed exit meeting.

Yeah, and I sure hate the fooling Melo did the first three years of his tenure here. I love spending seasons doing the Phil-ly special; tank threads, watching the draft listings, wondering what unknown phenoms we're missing from the Euro leagues now that BRIGGS has been relegated to winning the Gamepicker...

How the Knicks won the Carmelo trade...kudos to FO

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy