[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Not a lot of Luv for Frank or Knox
Author Thread
JesseDark
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #467
11/30/2018  2:02 AM
https://nypost.com/2018/11/29/scouts-execs-shred-knicks-1st-rounders-as-soft-and-worse/

“They gave him enough chances,’’ the Atlantic Division scout said. “The kid is very unaggressive and soft — no instincts to play point guard. He can make the pocket pass if it’s there, but sometimes it’s stolen. He’s playing horribly right now. I actually feel bad for the kid.”

These quotes are really damning for Frank. The quotes for Knox say he looks for his shot too much. In positionless basketball you always look to be in a position to shot.

Bring back dee-fense
AUTOADVERT
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

11/30/2018  6:01 AM
JesseDark wrote:https://nypost.com/2018/11/29/scouts-execs-shred-knicks-1st-rounders-as-soft-and-worse/

“They gave him enough chances,’’ the Atlantic Division scout said. “The kid is very unaggressive and soft — no instincts to play point guard. He can make the pocket pass if it’s there, but sometimes it’s stolen. He’s playing horribly right now. I actually feel bad for the kid.”

These quotes are really damning for Frank. The quotes for Knox say he looks for his shot too much. In positionless basketball you always look to be in a position to shot.

As much as whats being said is 100% true. I don't know if I really trust Berman. For all I know he could of made the negative quotes up.
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/30/2018  7:39 AM
It’s pretty bad to use ananyomus quotes that are so damning. NO doubt the play of both speaks for itself but to make it absolute is taking liberties a writer should not.

Berman was all too happy labeling a rookie phenom in the summer which was crap too.

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
11/30/2018  8:29 AM
Optimism sometimes puts you in denial. Some fans will go to bat for a player they like, while others will recognize the BS early....Is knox passing the ball, is frank playing good...
ES
JesseDark
Member: #467
11/30/2018  8:44 AM
I suspect quotes are from Philly’s scouts cause we just played them.
Nalod wrote:It’s pretty bad to use ananyomus quotes that are so damning. NO doubt the play of both speaks for itself but to make it absolute is taking liberties a writer should not.

Berman was all too happy labeling a rookie phenom in the summer which was crap too.

Bring back dee-fense
Chandler
Member: #6197

11/30/2018  8:52 AM
You can take a look at lottery picks from last year and ask yourself if Frank is all that behind or ahead. Obviously Donovan is the outlier but there are still a lot of question marks even for the older rookies

Same too for this year's crop

We're a very frustrated fanbase and want the team to succeed so it's understandable but these chicken-little pieces are just feeding into emotions

I'd be far more worried about our FO and coaching staff because they're not 20 year olds and are supposed to know what they're doing

(5)(5)
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
11/30/2018  9:02 AM
JesseDark wrote:https://nypost.com/2018/11/29/scouts-execs-shred-knicks-1st-rounders-as-soft-and-worse/

Definitely some red flags on Frank. As for Knox, these are all correctable things which will come in time. I have no concern about Knox. He has shown flashes and his talent is big time. He just needs time to put it together. He's a year younger than most rookies. He's not ready, but you know every coach in the league would love to have him and knows his talent is elite.

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

11/30/2018  9:17 AM
Knixkik wrote:

Definitely some red flags on Frank. As for Knox, these are all correctable things which will come in time. I have no concern about Knox. He has shown flashes and his talent is big time. He just needs time to put it together. He's a year younger than most rookies. He's not ready, but you know every coach in the league would love to have him and knows his talent is elite.

I said this when we drafted Frank - everyone fell in love with his measurements and the projections... he hadn't done much in France meaning he barely played. His minutes were low. I said when we drafted him it was essentially the same as what happened with Marvin Williams... young, long guy on a championship squad who basically didn't amount to anything

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

11/30/2018  9:19 AM
Does anyone here realisticallly think Frank is going to average 35 mpg once in his career? I am not in a rush to trade him... points can take longer to develop. That said -- he hasn't shown me anything that makes me think he's an NBA starter

Knox is soft too and those quote are damning but I mean I've at least seen glimpses of dominance from him

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
Cartman718
Member: #1694

11/30/2018  9:40 AM
Wow where to start with this damning "article". This "article" is all anonymous quotes, though one would say....don't they have to be in order to get printed? Yes they do, but then what value is Berman adding. Isn't he simply typing in print what scouts said...he seems more suited to Twitter than to an actual newspaper. His writing style and own opinions are nowhere in the article...it's just "regurgitate what i heard". There's value in that...but on the Post..? SMH.

Welcome to the new world of newspaper writing...as in no writing.

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
Cartman718

11/30/2018  10:03 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/30/2018  10:06 AM
Now some excerpts and their analysis...
According to those interviewed, Knox settles too fast for 3-point shots and refuses to move the ball. Ntilikina was cited for not having the wherewithal to play point guard, and one person even called the Frenchman an overrated defender. The word “soft" was used to describe both potential linchpins to the Knicks’ future.

Knox settling for 3 point shots...eye test says you have to agree with this...he needs to drive more and he was doing a lot more of that in summer league, but when he was faced with NBA bodies...he kinda settled on the perimeter. Like so many people on the forum have said...NEEDS MORE MUSCLE. It'll come and with that, so will the aggressiveness. He's already shown that when he's physically at par with the opponents physical strength...he will drive a lot to the basket and try to find the open man.
http://www.nba.com/summerleague/2018/stats says...2.3 assists per game. Not bad for a kid, will get better. Soft...really? Dude killed it against opponents his age. 1 steal per game too.

As far as Frank...not being able to play PG....to some extent I agree, he's not your prototypical NBA PG racking up double digit assists per game. But he does have hockey assists. He LOVES to initiate the passing coaxing his teammates to do the same where passing becomes part of the natural flow of the game leading to easier shots, better looks. But he's only one person on the floor.

Let's examine who is on the same page as him. Hardaway...on some days yes. And on other days...he's I am getting my shot-up-away. Not consistent enough to get a passing rhythm going.

Dotson...a resounding yes. Has no problems passing the ball consistently whether for a direct or hockey assist. Methinks Fiz benched him only to figure out who to cut when Trier is signed.

Which brings us to Trier...The only time you see Trier passing the ball is when Enes or Mitch are right under the basket and Trier has the opportunity to pass around a double team or some type of wrap-around pass. Otherwise...it's a bee-line to the basket. That's not a bad trait to have...if you are a bench player. You are not making anyone better around you.

Burke...a mini Hardaway...I am getting my shot up around a center's pick to retaliate when I was just scored on. The only times Burke has played 30+ mins and had an average of 10 assists per game...both contests against Boston. Are you surprised...I am not. Kyrie's defense sucks so bad he made it easier for Burke to find people. In other contests around the same mins...Burke averaged 3 assists per game. So in other words, if you play any kind of D on this guy..something in his offense is going to be off. He's definitely NOT the future PG of this team.

So what should Fiz do? The clear answer is play Frank and WholeTeamDot together. They both play D, they play well off each other, they love hockey assists just as much as direct assists and they put team first...all the time. In a world where KP is the most dominant player on the team, these are the types of players that will make your starting unit better. Not Trier, not Burke, and (sigh) probably not an inconsistent Hardaway.

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
Knixkik
USA
11/30/2018  10:04 AM
SupremeCommander wrote:Does anyone here realisticallly think Frank is going to average 35 mpg once in his career? I am not in a rush to trade him... points can take longer to develop. That said -- he hasn't shown me anything that makes me think he's an NBA starter

Knox is soft too and those quote are damning but I mean I've at least seen glimpses of dominance from him

Probably not big minutes for Frank, but i see him as a good role player/combo guard who will get 24 mpg most nights and his defensive abilities will be extremely valuable. He is a useful player as long as he even improves his offense just slightly, which i'm sure he will.

As for Knox, he just needs to take the ball to the basket. He's so talented, he will learn how to use that talent. He can get to the basket and to the free throw line at will. He needs to take contact and get to the free throw line. He's a smooth athlete and smooth shooter. Shooting won't be a problem for him, he just needs to be aggressive and not settle. I don't care what the numbers show so far this year, i see a complete scorer in the making.

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
11/30/2018  10:06 AM

You're also supposed to have enough court awareness to pass, too. Still, he's young; hairlessly young.

Calipari doing the standard commercial for his product:

“He’s not even close to what he’s going to be,” Calipari said in May. “You got to know you’re taking one of the youngest kids in the draft. You’re going to see this kid now and it’s going to be, ‘holy cow, he’s young.’ There are some guys that at 18 have the beard. Then there’s some guys that reach for a ball and you go, ‘You don’t have hair under your arms.’ He’s one of those.”

And this from Berman, the douche:

Be patient.
Knixkik
USA
11/30/2018  10:10 AM
Cartman718 wrote:Now some excerpts and their analysis...
According to those interviewed, Knox settles too fast for 3-point shots and refuses to move the ball. Ntilikina was cited for not having the wherewithal to play point guard, and one person even called the Frenchman an overrated defender. The word “soft" was used to describe both potential linchpins to the Knicks’ future.

Knox settling for 3 point shots...eye test says you have to agree with this...he needs to drive more and he was doing a lot more of that in summer league, but when he was faced with NBA bodies...he kinda settled on the perimeter. Like so many people on the forum have said...NEEDS MORE MUSCLE. It'll come and with that, so will the aggressiveness. He's already shown that when he's physically at par with the opponents physical strength...he will drive a lot to the basket and try to find the open man.
http://www.nba.com/summerleague/2018/stats says...2.3 assists per game. Not bad for a kid, will get better. Soft...really? Dude killed it against opponents his age. 1 steal per game too.

As far as Frank...not being able to play PG....to some extent I agree, he's not your prototypical NBA PG racking up double digit assists per game. But he does have hockey assists. He LOVES to initiate the passing coaxing his teammates to do the same where passing becomes part of the natural flow of the game leading to easier shots, better looks. But he's only one person on the floor.

Let's examine who is on the same page as him. Hardaway...on some days yes. And on other days...he's I am getting my shot-up-away. Not consistent enough to get a passing rhythm going.

Dotson...a resounding yes. Has no problems passing the ball consistently whether for a direct or hockey assist. Methinks Fiz benched only to figure out who to cut when Trier is signed.

Which brings us to Trier...The only time you see Trier passing the ball is when Enes or Mitch are right under the basket and Trier has the opportunity to pass around a double team or some type of wrap-around pass. Otherwise...it's a bee-line to the basket. That's not a bad trait to have...if you are a bench player. You are not making anyone better around you.

Burke...a mini Hardaway...I am getting my shot up around a center's pick to retaliate when I was just scored on. The only times Burke has played 30+ mins and had an average of 10 assists per game...both contests against Boston. Are you surprised...I am not. Kyrie's defense sucks so bad he made it easier for Burke to find people. In other contests around the same mins...Burke averaged 3 assists per game. So in other words, if you play any kind of D on this guy..something in his offense is going to be off. He's definitely NOT the future PG of this team.

So what should Fiz do? The clear answer is play Frank and WholeTeamDot together. They both play D, they play well off each other, they love hockey assists just as much as direct assists and they put team first...all the time. In a world where KP is the most dominant player on the team, these are the types of players that will make your starting unit better. Not Trier, not Burke, and (sigh) probably not an inconsistent Hardaway.

Trier creates plays though. In a world around KP we need at least 1 player who creates plays and can get easy baskets for others. Frank and Dotson bring the unselfish play and defensive ability, but we need someone to get into the teeth of the defense. They will move the ball, but will that movement turn into a good shot if the defense isn't being challenged? That's why they are role players. At least Trier has the upside to break down a defense and get KP a dunk. Or run the P&R.

Cartman718

11/30/2018  10:20 AM
Continued excerpts and analysis...
Sometimes he looks like he doesn’t want to play,” the assistant said. “The evaluations coming out of Kentucky were not all good — that he didn’t have a motor and plays too soft. It’s not easy to teach that now. He doesn’t pass and only looks to shoot — not create. He’s shooting on like 80 percent of his touches.

Added a different Eastern Conference scout, “He just seems like all he wants to do is shoot.’’

Yes, him hanging his head has been annoying. Yes shooting on 80% of his touches has been annoying. And I feel that the "progress" he showed against Philly was against summer league type players, so I wouldn't really count that as progress. Fiz needs to have multiple sit-downs with him. But maybe Fiz is focused at the moment on who to cut in favor of Trier. Hence the Luke Kornet recall?

He does need to get better, but I think we need to show the same type of patience we have shown for Frank. Let him add strength to his frame and get 1 year of NBA experience under his belt and then lets see what happens. Scouts and execs damning a player who just turned 19 and has played only 25% of 1 NBA season hardly seems fair.

What I do like about the article is that any young NBA player with pride will read such an article about him and do something about it. I have confidence that Knox will too.

Cartman718

11/30/2018  10:31 AM
Continued excerpts and analysis...
“[I make] the easy play, getting teammates involved." Ntilikina said. “It’s not always about scoring. I’m going to do what I do to bring the most to the team. If I’m not scoring, I’ll try to do something else.

When he got in the [76ers] game, he was embarrassed by [J.J.] Redick," he said. “Redick got loose for two jumpers and then they put him on [T.J.] McConnell and he drove around him. Other scouts tell me he’s a great defender. I don’t see a great defender. He can be disruptive with length, but he’s slow to react. He’s a better-than-average defender, but I think his confidence is shot on offense. His passes aren’t doing anything."

If this idiot of a scout had bothered to simply look at some video tweets from KnicksFilmSchool on Frank's passing and defense, he'd know better. So ONE scout thinks he's soft and ONE scout (probably the same one) thinks he just a 'better than average defender'...well doesn't that mean that the majority of other scouts look at him in a more positive light? Why does this ONE anonymous scout's opinion have so much value over the combined opinions of all other scouts? SMH.

But will Berman ever mention that...no, coz it doesn't sell papers.
Maybe this is Shrek's attempt at getting back at Fiz for calling him out.

Has Frank regressed over the last 10 games, yes sure. Does he need a pep talk...maybe...maybe not...he does seem to have thick skin. Last year's season showed that when you call him out, he responds with much better performances. Remember the Lakers game, Pacers game, Cavs game?

Dude has the fire and Fiz has seen it, no doubt that Frank will pick it back up. I don't know if it's flu or fatigue leading to the lethargy in the 76ers game (he did get beat badly by Reddick and McConnell...but didn't Mudiay n Hardaway get beat as well..after all Frank didn't start the game when Reddick went off).

Does anyone feel that he can't bounce back after 2 days of rest at home? I think Frank understands the length of the season and how he had to adjust last season...things may be down now for him...but better days are coming soon.

newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
11/30/2018  10:47 AM
Everyone sees that Franks confidence has been shot. So what are the Knicks doing to build his confidence up? Knox shoots to much without looking to move the ball and is lazy on defense. So what are the Knicks doing to mold him out of these habits?

For all the negative reviews. It's also said Frank has league wide interest.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Cartman718

11/30/2018  10:47 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/30/2018  10:49 AM
Knixkik wrote:

Dotson...a resounding yes. Has no problems passing the ball consistently whether for a direct or hockey assist. Methinks Fiz benched only to figure out who to cut when Trier is signed.

Trier creates plays though. In a world around KP we need at least 1 player who creates plays and can get easy baskets for others. Frank and Dotson bring the unselfish play and defensive ability, but we need someone to get into the teeth of the defense. They will move the ball, but will that movement turn into a good shot if the defense isn't being challenged? That's why they are role players. At least Trier has the upside to break down a defense and get KP a dunk. Or run the P&R.

Trier does not create plays for anyone but himself consistently. Sure he's had some nice assist games but some terrible ducks too. As far as getting into the teeth of the defense, picture a fast break with KP and Mitch in the lineup. Who will win that foot race...the guards. Between KP and Mitch who will win that foot race, my money would be on Mitch.

Passing the ball to KP as a trailer for a drive by dunk or for a straight on pull up 3 wasn't a problem last season, why would that be the case now.

As for half court, look at the Brow and Boogie when they were on Pelicans together. Or further back to Admiral and Duncan. If Mitch lives up to potential shown, that's where you press your advantage in pocket passes or PNR passes to post. A 5 to 8 footer jump hook or a KP to Mitch and vice versa post pass will always have better FG% than a drive to the paint by Trier. How many times did he get blocked by Philly in the paint and didn't bother finding anyone?

Consistency is key, not saying Trier can't get there, but no one's asking him to be off the team right? In the future, you can easily envision him on the floor at times with either WholeTeamDot or Frank off the floor (but not both) and KP/Mitch in. You need a consistent scorer on the bench too, and Trier fits that mould nicely. He's already a more consistent scorer than Burke, and many of us felt Burke could fit that. Let Trier abuse other team's benches, which we know he clearly can.

Revision on my above post...forgot to mention Mudiay. That's the one guy I feel if he becomes consistent, he can displace Frank or WholeTeamDot from a future starting lineup. Knicks have options depending on who progresses at what speed... a good thing

Knixkik
USA
11/30/2018  10:51 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/30/2018  10:52 AM
Cartman718 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

Trier does not create plays for anyone but himself consistently. Sure he's had some nice assist games but some terrible ducks too. As far as getting into the teeth of the defense, picture a fast break with KP and Mitch in the lineup. Who will win that foot race...the guards. Between KP and Mitch who will win that foot race, my money would be on Mitch.

Passing the ball to KP as a trailer for a drive by dunk or for a straight on pull up 3 wasn't a problem last season, why would that be the case now.

As for half court, look at the Brow and Boogie when they were on Pelicans together. Or further back to Admiral and Duncan. If Mitch lives up to potential shown, that's where you press your advantage in pocket passes or PNR passes to post. A 5 to 8 footer jump hook or a KP to Mitch and vice versa post pass will always have better FG% than a drive to the paint by Trier. How many times did he get blocked by Philly in the paint and didn't bother finding anyone?

Consistency is key, not saying Trier can't get there, but no one's asking him to be off the team right? In the future, you can easily envision him on the floor at times with either WholeTeamDot or Frank off the floor (but not both) and KP/Mitch in. You need a consistent scorer on the bench too, and Trier fits that mold nicely. He's already a more consistent scorer than Burke, and many of us felt Burke could fit that. Let Trier abuse other team's benches, which we know he clearly can.

Revision on my above post...forgot to mention Mudiay. That's the one guy I feel if he becomes consistent, he can displace Frank or WholeTeamDot from a future starting lineup. Knicks have options depending on who progresses at what speed... a good thing

Trier only creates for himself, but he's a rookie, and we see the flashes. He can make plays, he just needs to learn what to do when he gets to his spots. His ability to create and his aggressive nature are things the other guards don't have. Mudiay and Burke have the ability to get to their mid-range spots, but haven't shown the ability to draw defense and dish. Defenses know they will just pull up from mid-range. Trier has. He just has to do it more often. He can get to the basket at will and pull big men away from who they are guarding.

Cartman718

11/30/2018  10:57 AM
Knixkik wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

Consistency is key, not saying Trier can't get there, but no one's asking him to be off the team right? In the future, you can easily envision him on the floor at times with either WholeTeamDot or Frank off the floor (but not both) and KP/Mitch in. You need a consistent scorer on the bench too, and Trier fits that mold nicely. He's already a more consistent scorer than Burke, and many of us felt Burke could fit that. Let Trier abuse other team's benches, which we know he clearly can.

Trier only creates for himself, but he's a rookie, and we see the flashes. He can make plays, he just needs to learn what to do when he gets to his spots. His ability to create and his aggressive nature are things the other guards don't have. Mudiay and Burke have the ability to get to their mid-range spots, but haven't shown the ability to draw defense and dish. Defenses know they will just pull up from mid-range. Trier has. He just has to do it more often. He can get to the basket at will and pull big men away from who they are guarding.

Disagree. Mudiay is doing that nicely, dishing. But he's playing with Mitch who is still raw and Enes who prefers a one-on-three contest under the basket.

Not a lot of Luv for Frank or Knox

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy